[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Article:Gortat calls out the Suns lack of emphasis on defense
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
12/31/2010  2:32 AM
"I came from a team where everybody's competing and trying to do the stuff that coach is saying. We're just totally changing our rotations, changing our stuff that we set before the game. We're not playing hard enough ... The positive thing is? It can't be worse."
- Marcin Gortat on the Suns defense "It's just a little bit frustrating when you come in the locker room and people are talking about the offense," Gortat began. "That's not the way you're going to win NBA games. I don't know if it's just me, or maybe I'm just different, but I came from a team where everybody's competing and trying to do the stuff that coach is saying. We're just totally changing our rotations, changing our stuff that we set before the game. We're not playing hard enough and I've just got to tell you, there's a lot, a lot of work in front of us. The positive thing is? It can't be worse."

Gentry said the Suns are working hard in practice, but for whatever reason that hard work isn't translating into that effort being there in game situations. But we'll stick with Gortat, as he seemed to give the most honest and straightforward assessment of the team's defensive struggles.

"I just think we have to be at the gym every day for three hours," Gortat continued. "Learn the rotations, learn everything from the beginning. I mean, there are so many things we're doing bad, I just can't find an explanation. I'm trying to get some rebounds and stops, but unfortunately there's not too many opportunities for me to rebound because the team is scoring 120-something points.

"It's just frustrating; frustrating as hell. I'm not going to lie."

Gortat played in Orlando the last four seasons, on a Magic team that was elite for the last three. He knows what it takes to reach that level, and it's been quite an adjustment for him coming to a team that's near the bottom of the league defensively.

"It's kind of a reality check for me, being on a team who is winning then all of a sudden coming to a team which is losing," Gortat said. "I mean, we are the worst defensive team in the league. I don't know; we've just got to come tomorrow as early as possible and just put in work -- three hours at least."Gortat then preached the importance of work ethic as he continued to break down how he's seen his new team approach things during his brief time in Phoenix.

"I think we've just got to be more serious about everything that we do," Gortat said. "We've got a lot of young guys on the team. A lot of potential, but a lot of young guys who don't know how it is to be on top and play at a high level. It's not only focus on the game, it's also focus on the practice. When you come through that door, that's the time to lock in and get ready for the game or practice. It can't happen where you're coming in and doing different things. We've got to read the scouting report, which guy likes to do what, and we've just got to learn it.
"There's a lot of work in front of us, I'm telling you guys. A lot of work. With Philly scoring 120 points, I don't want to see teams like Boston, Orlando, San Antonio ... because it's going to be bad."

As Gortat mentioned, things are already bad. And defensively, they seemingly can't get too much worse for the Suns.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/12/30/marcin-gortat-rips-suns-defense-after-disappointing-loss-to-sixe/

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
cheers
Member: #3316

12/31/2010  2:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/31/2010  2:56 AM
CrushAlot wrote:"I came from a team where everybody's competing and trying to do the stuff that coach is saying. We're just totally changing our rotations, changing our stuff that we set before the game. We're not playing hard enough ... The positive thing is? It can't be worse."
- Marcin Gortat on the Suns defense "It's just a little bit frustrating when you come in the locker room and people are talking about the offense," Gortat began. "That's not the way you're going to win NBA games. I don't know if it's just me, or maybe I'm just different, but I came from a team where everybody's competing and trying to do the stuff that coach is saying. We're just totally changing our rotations, changing our stuff that we set before the game. We're not playing hard enough and I've just got to tell you, there's a lot, a lot of work in front of us. The positive thing is? It can't be worse."

Gentry said the Suns are working hard in practice, but for whatever reason that hard work isn't translating into that effort being there in game situations. But we'll stick with Gortat, as he seemed to give the most honest and straightforward assessment of the team's defensive struggles.

"I just think we have to be at the gym every day for three hours," Gortat continued. "Learn the rotations, learn everything from the beginning. I mean, there are so many things we're doing bad, I just can't find an explanation. I'm trying to get some rebounds and stops, but unfortunately there's not too many opportunities for me to rebound because the team is scoring 120-something points.

"It's just frustrating; frustrating as hell. I'm not going to lie."

Gortat played in Orlando the last four seasons, on a Magic team that was elite for the last three. He knows what it takes to reach that level, and it's been quite an adjustment for him coming to a team that's near the bottom of the league defensively.

"It's kind of a reality check for me, being on a team who is winning then all of a sudden coming to a team which is losing," Gortat said. "I mean, we are the worst defensive team in the league. I don't know; we've just got to come tomorrow as early as possible and just put in work -- three hours at least."Gortat then preached the importance of work ethic as he continued to break down how he's seen his new team approach things during his brief time in Phoenix.

"I think we've just got to be more serious about everything that we do," Gortat said. "We've got a lot of young guys on the team. A lot of potential, but a lot of young guys who don't know how it is to be on top and play at a high level. It's not only focus on the game, it's also focus on the practice. When you come through that door, that's the time to lock in and get ready for the game or practice. It can't happen where you're coming in and doing different things. We've got to read the scouting report, which guy likes to do what, and we've just got to learn it.
"There's a lot of work in front of us, I'm telling you guys. A lot of work. With Philly scoring 120 points, I don't want to see teams like Boston, Orlando, San Antonio ... because it's going to be bad."

As Gortat mentioned, things are already bad. And defensively, they seemingly can't get too much worse for the Suns.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/12/30/marcin-gortat-rips-suns-defense-after-disappointing-loss-to-sixe/

i read that thursday then afterwards lurked the suns forum, gortat got instant positive reaction. fans know. yea we crazy. but we know. nice to see when a player acknowledges what fans see. instead of giving the p.r. reply. now back to the knicks. you can see that stan takes the best of SSOL but he doesnt get silly with it. he is not going to have five shooters on the floor. he will go to his bench. celtics and miami went to their bench too.

you can see those teams value their bench, and their players know it. you can tell by our bench they feel (to quote a poster in the game thread) they're in the out-house. would love to read that mda is actually working with ar in practice scouting how to be most effective cleaning the glass against the opposing bigs he will face game nite. time for a gortat reality check of our own.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/31/2010  3:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/31/2010  3:03 AM
I think what is really frustrating is you know that practice time is limited 'to save the legs of the starters' (Steve Kerr), and that practice is focused on perfecting the offense to create mismatches against opposing teams without focusing on defense or game planning for opponents. It also has been reported that the coach hates practice. If you are a young player participating in a limited practice where the focus is on the great eight how are you going to break into that group? If the coach doesn't trust you and you are close to cracking the rotation do you have the mental fortitude to withstand glares, screams and yelling in your face that you faced before when you got playing time? If you are the youngest guy on the team and might not be an emotionally mature adult, how do you overcome this without guidance and support? Maybe that guy just needs to buck up but what if that isn't working?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
cheers
Member: #3316

12/31/2010  3:12 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/31/2010  5:54 AM
CrushAlot wrote:I think what is really frustrating is you know that practice time is limited 'to save the legs of the starters' (Steve Kerr), and that practice is focused on perfecting the offense to create mismatches against opposing teams without focusing on defense or game planning for opponents. It also has been reported that the coach hates practice. If you are a young player participating in a limited practice where the focus is on the great eight how are you going to break into that group? If the coach doesn't trust you and you are close to cracking the rotation do you have the mental fortitude to withstand glares, screams and yelling in your face that you faced before when you got playing time? If you are the youngest guy on the team and might not be an emotionally mature adult, how do you overcome this without guidance and support? Maybe that guy just needs to buck up but what if that isn't working?

ha the ultimate irony. i have never once read of mda working with ar in practice. i havent even read mda mention ar's name. if you were to mention ar to mda he would probably reply "who?"

MS
Member: #724
12/31/2010  10:02 AM
I think that's someone the Knicks really need. For one he isn't partying with the guys the night before games and we need a guy that isn't afraid to put someone on the ground.

I would be willing to give up AR for Gortat. He can very good next to and protecting Amare

orangeblobman
Member: #2539
Nauru
12/31/2010  10:05 AM
Gortat is a big tough Rick Mahorn now, taking on coaching duties and setting practice schedules. Whatever, bum.
WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/31/2010  1:45 PM
i dunno if it's a role player's place to be calling out teammates for this kind of thing, especially one that's averaging 5 / 5 / 1 this year... dude's heart is in the right place, but if anyone should be stepping up other than the head coach, it should be Nash... that would be like Fishlips calling out his teammates for not playing any D last year... that type of stuff doesn't carry much clout unless it's your best players doing the talking & then backing up their talk w/their play on the court like Amare did this year.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/31/2010  2:39 PM
MS wrote:I think that's someone the Knicks really need. For one he isn't partying with the guys the night before games and we need a guy that isn't afraid to put someone on the ground.

I would be willing to give up AR for Gortat. He can very good next to and protecting Amare

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having him. Dude chases rebounds and blocks shots. Maybe he talks his way off the Phoenix Suns?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Article:Gortat calls out the Suns lack of emphasis on defense

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy