Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/29/2010  1:43 PM
Knicks Fail to Beat Miami's Pick-and-Roll Defense
by gian casimiro on Dec 29, 2010 12:00 PM EST in 7 Seconds or Mess

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2010/12/29/1901524/knicks-fail-to-beat-miamis-pick-and-roll-defense

The Miami Heat's pick and roll defense was covered by Bassy not too long ago and it was something I looked out for in last night's game. With it being such an integral part of the Knicks' offense, they needed to find a way to punish the Heat for showing hard on all screens. Unfortunately, Raymond Felton couldn't which led to a mediocre 5 assists (4 off his season average) and a poor shooting night going 5-13.

Instead of trying to run around the hedge all game, which probably would've ended up in a lot of wasted lateral dribbling, Felton opted to pick up his dribble and make quick passes to the roller or out to the wing. Here he has the right idea giving it to Wilson Chandler before the defense can trap him but Dwyane Wade picked him up by leaving Landry Fields and Miami got a block.

Here are a couple of examples of Felton passing out to the wing rather than the roller. While certainly not terrible shots, the Knicks were cold going 29% from three so they weren't able to attack the defense this way either. I would have liked to see the pass come to Amar'e Stoudemire on the first clip, though, as he was picked up by Wade.

Danilo Gallinari gets the pass on the wing on this possession and drives off the head fake. Of course, this happens on too few occasions with Gallo, but the other time it did, he threw down a majestic dunk.

On this play, Chris Bosh actually chose to stay with Chandler instead of showing on the screen and the difference allowed Felton to get all the way to the basket.

Unfortunately the team had to resort to the Stat-on-Five offense with Amar'e in the post to keep up. It was successful when he made his move early before a double arrived. We know the story when it didn't work. Catch it on the elbow, turn and face up, wait five seconds before a jump shot or drive on a prepared defense.

It was frustrating to see Felton rendered so useless but he wasn't making bad decisions. Maybe the paint would've opened up for Chandler and Stoudemire to roll if more of those threes fell. But right now it doesn't look like Miami has any issue defending the oldest play in the book.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
martin
USA
12/29/2010  1:44 PM
Knicks Adjust Their Offense, Stay Competitive With The Heat

http://nbaplaybook.com/2010/12/29/knicks-adjust-their-offense-stay-competitive-with-the-heat/

When you think of the New York Knicks, you think of a high octane offense that likes to run an effective pick and roll in the halfcourt, and that is the reality. After early struggles with the PNR, Raymond Felton and Amar’e Stoudemire have developed a nice chemistry and the PNR is back to being an effective tool for the Knicks. Overall, the Knicks are one of the best when it comes to running the pick and roll, and they use that to their advantage. According to Synergy, the Knicks run the pick and roll 17.1% of their possessions, while scoring .96 PPP (They are first in Roll Man PPP, 9th in Ball Handler PPP – according to Synergy).

So during their first match up against the Heat, they tried to go to their bread and butter, but it was far from successful. The Knicks ran the pick and roll 15.5% of the time, but the Heat’s hard shows on defense held the Knicks to just 0.59 PPP on Pick and Roll plays. The Heat defense also baited the Knicks into way too many ISO sets, they ran those plays 16.4% of the time, scoring just 4 points out of it (0.33 PPP) on 12.5% shooting. Looking at these numbers, it was no surprise that the Heat ended up blowing out the Knicks.

So when the Knicks went up against the Heat the second time, they decided to switch some things around. They still had trouble with the pick and roll (UPDATE: Gian Casimiro over at the Knicks’ blog Posting And Toasting does a great job breaking this down – definitely a must read), posting a low 0.50 PPP, with the only basket for the roll man came off of Stoudemire’s slipped screen/big dunk on LeBron (something the astute commenters here mentioned would work against the Heat):

The key is that the Knicks ran the pick and roll much less than the first game, only 11% of total possessions, understanding that they struggle with the Heat’s PNR defense. They were also able to limit their ISO sets, running those just 7.8% of their possessions. So what did the Knicks do with all of these extra possessions? Well, they ran sets that resulted in Spot-Up opportunities. According to Synergy, the Knicks run Spot-Ups 20% of the time on the season (for a PPP of 1.03), however against the Heat last night, they ran it 29.4% of their total possessions with success, posting a PPP of 1.13 on 44.4% shooting.

Why was this more successful? Well, spot-ups indicate set offenses with players moving off of the basketball and a lot of passing rather than a lot of dribbling (which happens in PNR and ISO sets), forcing the defense to move around, and resulting in catch and shoot opportunities, and open looks:

Here, as Danilo Gallinari starts his dribble, Ronny Turiaf cuts through the lane to the block. He gets the ball, a double occurs, and after he kicks it out to Gallinari, the skip pass to Toney Douglas opens up. Player movement (Turiaf’s cut) and quick ball movement (Turiaf’s pass out of the double, the skip pass to Douglas) results in a wide open look.

Again, you have quick ball movement here as the ball gets passed to Fields in the corner. Wilson Chandler flashes to the basketball, and after the catch he pump fakes, and attacks the lane for a dunk.

Finally here, the Knicks try to run their Felton-Stoudemire PNR, but Joel Anthony’s hard show throws everything off and nothing comes of it. The Knicks reset and get the basketball to Stoudemire at the top of the key. He passes to Douglas, who drives and kicks to a wide open Raymond Felton (who does a nice job of spotting up in the open area), who knocks down the three.

When people talk about the New York Knicks, they like to say that they run a wide open offense, and I don’t know how much credit Coach D’Antoni gets (you often hear that he lets his players play, rather than people talking about his Xs & Os ability). However, D’Antoni tweaking the offense, steering it away from PNR and to Spot-Up sets shows that he knows what he is doing. The Knicks didn’t win the game, but they were able to stay competitive (which is something they were unable to do their first game with the Heat) and prove to Miami that they are a legitimate threat against them.

Also, expect to see this happen when most teams go up against the Heat. With the Heat now playing very strong PNR defense, teams will start to get away from it and try to find other holes in their defense.

nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
12/29/2010  2:24 PM
EXCELLENT POST MARTIN. EXCELLENT!!!

Man I haven't enjoyed a post this much in a long time. I like to watch the games and look for things like this. I find that this Knicks team is learning a TON from the games they're playing against the top teams. They aren't wasting the opportunities. They also started off a bit frazzled and nervous IMO. Once they calmed down you could see that they weren't scared nor had any quit in them. They calmly kept playing and kept believing in what they were doing.

We have to remember this is still a mostly young team and they have to experience a lot of things before they can truly learn how to win. Going against great players that KNOW how to win is a tough thing, but these Knick players are starting to see that they can compete. What amazed me is how we can overcome such HUGE shortcomings in our roster. We have almost no real rebounding big to speak of. None of them are strong rebounders and somehow even with that advantage it took a lot more work than Miami expected to finally dust the Knicks off.

I Like the way D'Antoni went with more motion and ball movement cuz it's exactly what I would've done. You have to respect the Heat defense, but you can use their great quickness and aggressive swarming on D against them if you move the ball and move your players. Imagine if we can fill our rebounding Big void? This team is a lot closer than it seems.

I wasn't so much focused on the Knicks offense, but the Knicks D. We saw some REALLY impressive defense from the Knicks and if not for the fact that they have Wade and Bron making incredible shots to bail them out, we could've come all the way back. I thought Gallo was very good and overall everyone was moving their feet and communicating. The talent level on the Heat is just sick, so it's tough to stop them when they can go to such great players when they get late in the shot clock and either Wade or Bron can just out talent everyone.

All I can say is Donnie... Get us some Rebounding. Can you imagine a guy like Oakley next to Amar'e?

FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

12/29/2010  3:11 PM
good read but felton should not be picking up his dribble. not entirely his fault but he shoulders a lot of the blame. it wasn't his greatest game and sort of shows his deficiencies in decision making.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/29/2010  3:49 PM
martin wrote:Knicks Fail to Beat Miami's Pick-and-Roll Defense
by gian casimiro on Dec 29, 2010 12:00 PM EST in 7 Seconds or Mess

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2010/12/29/1901524/knicks-fail-to-beat-miamis-pick-and-roll-defense

The Miami Heat's pick and roll defense was covered by Bassy not too long ago and it was something I looked out for in last night's game. With it being such an integral part of the Knicks' offense, they needed to find a way to punish the Heat for showing hard on all screens. Unfortunately, Raymond Felton couldn't which led to a mediocre 5 assists (4 off his season average) and a poor shooting night going 5-13.

Instead of trying to run around the hedge all game, which probably would've ended up in a lot of wasted lateral dribbling, Felton opted to pick up his dribble and make quick passes to the roller or out to the wing. Here he has the right idea giving it to Wilson Chandler before the defense can trap him but Dwyane Wade picked him up by leaving Landry Fields and Miami got a block.

Here are a couple of examples of Felton passing out to the wing rather than the roller. While certainly not terrible shots, the Knicks were cold going 29% from three so they weren't able to attack the defense this way either. I would have liked to see the pass come to Amar'e Stoudemire on the first clip, though, as he was picked up by Wade.

Danilo Gallinari gets the pass on the wing on this possession and drives off the head fake. Of course, this happens on too few occasions with Gallo, but the other time it did, he threw down a majestic dunk.

On this play, Chris Bosh actually chose to stay with Chandler instead of showing on the screen and the difference allowed Felton to get all the way to the basket.

Unfortunately the team had to resort to the Stat-on-Five offense with Amar'e in the post to keep up. It was successful when he made his move early before a double arrived. We know the story when it didn't work. Catch it on the elbow, turn and face up, wait five seconds before a jump shot or drive on a prepared defense.

It was frustrating to see Felton rendered so useless but he wasn't making bad decisions. Maybe the paint would've opened up for Chandler and Stoudemire to roll if more of those threes fell. But right now it doesn't look like Miami has any issue defending the oldest play in the book.

Great work martin, and I don't want to harp on chandler, because I like him, but I think he has the ball in positions he just shouldn't. for example, video 1-4.. chandler gets the ball, instead of looking to see what the defense is doing, he puts the ball on the floor.. almost loses it with a high dribble because he really has no handle.. completely misses an open gallo and fields because he just doesn't have good court vision.. and gets his shot blocked...

now in this offense any good player is going to get looks and if they can hit, they can score.. this is what we see from chandler, but lets not mistake it for being a very good offensive player... he is a good offensive player, but limited.. offense is just not scoring...

now the video when the lane was open, he got the pass, faked and went quickly are plays we want him to caplitalize on.... which is why I think we really need A SG who can create off the dribble and make good decisions...

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tj23
Member: #3119

12/29/2010  4:58 PM
Very nice post. It's all about making the RIGHT play, which MDA stresses also. Felton was definitely picking up his dribble early on a number of plays, but he was making the right passes. When Felton gets trapped or doubled and makes a good kick out, the other knicks have to step up and make the right plays and almost become the point guard. That's one area I feel Melo would help out when Felton has a guy like that to kick out after he breaks down the defense. (Not trying to make this thread about Melo, just thought it was relevant.)
cheers
Member: #3316

12/29/2010  6:47 PM
good stuff martin. let me just add something i didnt want to cause its gonna sounds kooky lol. but its a conspiracy i tell ya! there i said it. miami has the best defense in the league and just happens to have three stars too hmm`k. could it be superstar treatment. that they are allowed to play teams close but the reverse is not true. play wade close you will hear a ref whistle. just saying. end of conspiracy rant.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/29/2010  6:51 PM
I hope everyone keeps in mind that we're still in a growing phase with most of the team. They have to continue to learn from games like these and those lessons will serve them well by the time the playoffs get here. If we can avoid starting off so out of it and recognizing how to deal with what teams throw at us, faster we'll do OK.

With each game I see that Gallo is less and less fearful of the big name players in the league. His defense gets tougher and he's ever so slightly more aggressive. I would love to see him calling for the ball more and taking control during stretches in every game. He just doesn't realize how good he actually is.

More than I want to see a guy like Melo I want to see a guy like Verajao or Camby. Someone that can play in the trenches and give this team some resistance and toughness on the boards. If you too away all those extra possessions the Heat had, we'd have sufficient offense to compete with anyone.

martin
USA
12/29/2010  7:23 PM
cheers wrote:good stuff martin. let me just add something i didnt want to cause its gonna sounds kooky lol. but its a conspiracy i tell ya! there i said it. miami has the best defense in the league and just happens to have three stars too hmm`k. could it be superstar treatment. that they are allowed to play teams close but the reverse is not true. play wade close you will hear a ref whistle. just saying. end of conspiracy rant.

I saw Miami playing some outstanding defense in the first and very tough defense the rest of the way. When your wings can recover and get out to the 3ptline as fast as Wade and LeBron, you make it very tough for the offense.

On the other hand, LeBron and Wade get away with more hacking than any 2 guys I have seen in the league. The call against Fields at end of game was prob a bad call but Wade also got away with 3 other blatant fouls on Felton just prior to that - Knicks still were short calls.

nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
12/29/2010  7:46 PM
Although Miami was definitely the better team in our last two meetings, the Refs seem to have one set of rules for the Knicks and an entire different set of rules for the Heat.
If you look back at that game when Igauskas was killing us in the 1st and 3rd quarter, the guy violated the 3 second rule on almost every offensive possession.
That is how they started getting all those offensive rebounds. And of course as soon as we start camping out in the paint we get called immediately.
Ira
Member: #91
12/30/2010  6:31 AM
Thanks for taking the time to put this together, Martin. Getting Azubuike back will help when we have to find an open man to make a three and keep defenses honest inside.
2 good articles on Knicks PnR against Heat

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy