[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Would you take a risk on Webber?
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/26/2004  1:51 PM
He's 30, hurt about as often as Camby, has 4 more years of MAX money left AFTER this one, and is one of the best players in the NBA when he's healthy.

I think his salary and the Kings current roster makes him expendable for the right price. I dont think the Knicks have anything to trade straight up for him but getting a 3rd team involved isnt as hard as people would think.

Getting CWebb is by no means a no-brainer. I would very much like to make Williams and Sweetney major parts of this roster. Both Marbury and Williams are big, can defend taller players and are good scorers. No reason they cant both thrive on the same roster.

Sweetney needs more time (especially physically) but I'm not ready to give up on a guy with his post skills and upside.

That being said its VERY hard to pass on the prospect of CWebb even for 55-60 games a year so long as he's healthy in April and May.

I only mention Webber because the kind(s) of players the Knicks are forced to focus on are going to be overpaid (Penny), need a change of scenery (Wallace -> braintransplant) or on a team that just cant afford them.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/26/2004  2:15 PM
i don't know. i don't think sacramento will even entertain the idea unless they fail again in the playoffs this year with webber in the lineup. but max $$ for 4 more years is tough to take on. i don't even think we'd have enough to get him here - especially when other teams like memphis have more to give up.

why not try to trade for a marcus fizer and sign stromile in the offseason (or your boy chris anderson) making us younger and more athletic, instead of making a deal for an overrated PF that is known for getting hurt and not winning the big one?

then we would definitely not have any more chips to deal except marbury. i wouldn't do it.

wow, that would leave us penny, h20, and cwebb - all who are injury prone (well h20 now) making max $$$ - that would be tough to swallow. i see many years of "if only he didn't get hurt..."

[Edited by - djsunyc on 01/26/2004 14:22:03]
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
1/26/2004  2:34 PM
That's really a tossup. I'd love to get CWebb in here, but damn, he gets hurt SO often.

It also concerns me how much he tends to get injured right before or during the playoffs.

If he can't contribute in the playoffs, why bother getting him (for all that money) at all?
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
knixnprix
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #548
USA
1/26/2004  2:49 PM
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:

That's really a tossup. I'd love to get CWebb in here, but damn, he gets hurt SO often.

It also concerns me how much he tends to get injured right before or during the playoffs.

If he can't contribute in the playoffs, why bother getting him (for all that money) at all?
lol, there is a factor of being in the west, and a little guy named shaq there, timmy also, respect to the very talented mavs also. as good as the kings were and are, they just had something go wrong in their play-off run each year. whether it was horry getting a lucky 3 or webb unfortunatly for them, getting hurt. don't blame it completely(maybe you weren't) on webb, he did a lot to put that franchise on that map. he comes back healthy and the knicks get him, i would love that a lot more than getting ra-weed here. the fact of the matter is, it could always end up as another mcdyess trade(depends on what is injured), but we can't always put our trust in what could be or what will happen, because nobody knows and risks are all we have with certain good facts about the past.

[Edited by - knixnprix on 01/26/2004 14:49:38]
FRANK WILLIAMS should be an allstar. The BEST knick this season!
fishmike
USA
1/26/2004  2:58 PM
Horry doesnt hit lucky 3's. He's been doing it since he was a rookie with the Rockets. He's always been one of the clutch shooters in the NBA. He did it for 2 titles with Hakeem and 3 more with Shaq and Kobe. Definatly one of the most valueable role players in recent NBA history. There is no luck in the NBA. If there was at least one Cinderella team would win a title, but none ever do. It always the team with the BEST player in the NBA that year. Isiah, Bird, Shaq, Hakeem, Jordan, Duncan... you get the idea.

As for CWebb's value its about $60 mill over the next 4 years. Do the Kings need him that bad or dont they? Every guy has a price and the owners have no loyalty... thats why they are owners.
knixnprix
USA
1/26/2004  3:05 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Horry doesnt hit lucky 3's. He's been doing it since he was a rookie with the Rockets. He's always been one of the clutch shooters in the NBA. He did it for 2 titles with Hakeem and 3 more with Shaq and Kobe. Definatly one of the most valueable role players in recent NBA history. There is no luck in the NBA. If there was at least one Cinderella team would win a title, but none ever do. It always the team with the BEST player in the NBA that year. Isiah, Bird, Shaq, Hakeem, Jordan, Duncan... you get the idea.

As for CWebb's value its about $60 mill over the next 4 years. Do the Kings need him that bad or dont they? Every guy has a price and the owners have no loyalty... thats why they are owners.
dude, if you had watched that pocession, you would have realized that the fact that it ended up in his hand was kind of lucky. i never said he is a lucky 3 point shooter, he might have gotten lucky on that pocession. but he became the hero of that particular game none the less. if you know what i mean.
fishmike
USA
1/26/2004  4:11 PM
I'm just saying his role was to hit big shots late in games, and he did for a bunch of title teams. Late in games his job was to hustle, play D and hit big shots when the defense collapsed to Hakeem or Shaq.
knixnprix
USA
1/26/2004  4:26 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I'm just saying his role was to hit big shots late in games, and he did for a bunch of title teams. Late in games his job was to hustle, play D and hit big shots when the defense collapsed to Hakeem or Shaq.
ok, but i already knew what horry's history was, i remember those series with the knicks and magic, it's true he has been clutch, but i just think that particular pocession was a lucky one the way it ended up in his hands. nothing more.
btw, if i mention horry, that doesn't mean you completely go off your own topic and give me a history lesson. i don't need it and i have read a lot of you posts and think that you don't either.
fishmike
USA
1/26/2004  4:37 PM
No worries... I guess my point was that of course lucky shots happen, but in the end its always the team with the biggest star that wins.

Back to CWebb... the more I think about it the more inclined to pass I am. Just too many injuries. Unless we got him without somehow giving up Sweetney and Williams I say dont bother.
CanadianKnicksFan
Member: #483
Canada
1/26/2004  6:02 PM
In a heatbeat

Your on crack to think otherwise

He sleeps a better game then most PF's
Pure Starks Love
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
1/26/2004  6:42 PM
CWebb has great talent, but too expensive. IMO a better value at the 4 would be picking up someone like Joe Smith.
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Would you take a risk on Webber?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy