[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What should be NYK fans(REAL) expectations
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

1/24/2004  3:58 PM
When we picked up Zeke and Lenny and Starbury that pretty much put the Atlantic div at a toss up. Now what will it take for us to at least get to 2ND RD of the playoffs. Making the playoffs isn't that much of an accomplishment when other Atlantic teams are playing so poorly, but with the talent on our roster and with a HOF coach and not Don Chaney we should at least go to ECF. Shouldn't we all have higher expectations by now ? Zeke's arrival alone helped the team shape up and win 4 straight games with Chaney as the head coach. For me to take Lenny serious , he's gonna have to win more than 4 consecutive games in a row with this talented roster . AGREE - DISAGREE ?
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/24/2004  4:01 PM
Who knows? Let's get there then we'll find out. Then next year our expectations might be different.
OldFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #446
1/24/2004  6:57 PM
Let's ask it this way - are we one of the top two teams in the east?

I'd like to say yes - but being realistic...

I don't think so. So ECF is too much to expect. Hey you never know but I wouldn't expect it.
bigblitz2001
Member: #535
1/24/2004  7:19 PM
I think those expectations are too high, I would not expect the Knicks to beat either the pacers (who are not only a threat in the east but against the west too) or the pistons. I think we will have to see if they are on the same level as teams like NO, and NJ.

NOW......If Isiah pulls off a miracle and gets Rasheed here, then I think the Knicks can play with almost anyone. With the current team 2nd round of the playoffs is about playing to our talent level. To compete with the elite in the NBA another trade is needed.

GO ISIAH GET US THAT CHAMPIONSHIP.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
1/24/2004  7:28 PM
After making the playoffs for 14 straight years and on the last year NY was eliminated in the first round only to miss the next 2 playoff years so we can bring class and style back to the Garden with Zeke, Wilkens and Starbury and you telling me we aint deep in the playoffs this year?

Unthinkable!
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
playa2

1/24/2004  8:48 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Who knows? Let's get there then we'll find out. Then next year our expectations might be different.

What happen to the blind faith? Hardcore where ya at talking about tickets. Smile I took ya picture
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
playa2

1/24/2004  9:40 PM
Posted by OldFan:

Let's ask it this way - are we one of the top two teams in the east?

I'd like to say yes - but being realistic...

I don't think so. So ECF is too much to expect. Hey you never know but I wouldn't expect it.

Old fan anybody is a favorite in the east right now that is why I worded the question that way. I was referring to our knicks with all the talent it has.
OldFan
Member: #446
1/24/2004  10:15 PM
Player - the east has MOSTLY weak teams - but not all week teams. Indiana and Detroit are good teams and the Nets will be if they get their act together and New Orleans and Milwaukee aren't bad. To say no one in the east is a favorite is not accurate. For the Knicks to get to the second round they likely have to beat one of the top four seeds in the east. The Knicks talent level has improved - but unless everything clicks just right I don't think they have enough to beat the elite teams in the east.
playa2

1/24/2004  10:27 PM
Even with a HOF coach ? I thought after the trade, all we needed to do was get Chaney out as coach and we would win close games especially with Starbury running things.
playa2

1/25/2004  9:41 AM
You guys thought I was all wrong, nope Zeke just dupped us with Lenny and Marbury.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/25/2004  10:41 AM
Posted by Bobby:

After making the playoffs for 14 straight years and on the last year NY was eliminated in the first round only to miss the next 2 playoff years so we can bring class and style back to the Garden with Zeke, Wilkens and Starbury and you telling me we aint deep in the playoffs this year?

Unthinkable!

the only way we MAYBE get out of the first round is if we're the #4 or #5 seed or we win the division. indy, detroit, and nj are still better than us and will beat us in a 7 game series (barring a trade to seriously upgrade our post presence).
Bobby
USA
1/25/2004  11:04 AM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Bobby:

Unthinkable!

the only way we MAYBE get out of the first round is if we're the #4 or #5 seed or we win the division. indy, detroit, and nj are still better than us and will beat us in a 7 game series (barring a trade to seriously upgrade our post presence).

You maybe want to stick a fork in NJ since the purchase, and the intended move to Brooklyn. And with Indy and Detroit not fairing well in previous playoffs I feel this a golden opportunity for New York to pull this off....I feel our post presence is right under our nose and Lenny cant find the answer
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
1/25/2004  11:07 AM
We're one trade away from getting out of the first round.

In the frontcourt, KVH, KT & and aging Deke will NOT get is over the hump against playoff-caliber frontcourts. Because of his age, we can only count on Deke for no more than 35-30 minutes a night; at times, we are better (offensively) with Doleac on the floor. KT plays solid Offense and D, but gets abused by anyone more athletic than him. As for KVH, if his shot isn't falling (and sometimes even when it is), he's a waste of space in every other area besides getting a few boards.

As if the frontcourt wasn't problem enough, now Allan Houston is hurt.. again. This looks like a recurring issue which has had and will continue to have a negative impact on Allan's game thoughout the season. His point production, lateral movement, and his already limited defensive maneuverability will all stay in a declined state as long as his knee is hampering him.

Then there's the Marbury factor. It's going to take a few more games for him to get really comfortable running our offense. He brings fire, passion and skill every night. Has anyone ever taken the time to consider what could come from Stephon's constant communication with Isiah? They speak to eachother every day. I am sure that Marbury, if he hasn't done so already, will start sharing his opinion with Zeke about who needs to go. Steph and Zeke have enough in common in history, attitude and opinions where it's not too far-fetched to figure that they'll agree on more than a few topics.

Marbury has to be growing tired of players not catching his passes, not making correct decisions quickly enough, turning over the ball, not hitting open shots, etc. It's not about the players getting used to the passes, it's that they are not athletic enough. That, as well as the bad decisionmaking also play a significant part in turnovers and blown scoring opportunities. On defense, those same negatives cost us alot of would-be stops and forced turnovers.

Isiah made the same observations, and will make necessary changes because of it. If the Sheed deal doesn't happen before the deadline, we can still acquire him with a sign-&-trade in the offseason. Maybe for now, we can make a trade that will both make the roster more balanced strengthwise and put us in a better bargaining position by getting players who can make immediate and consistent contributions to the team in the problem areas.

If we make that next move, we can get out of the first round. Anything after that is more based upon who we get in that deal.

All in all, my expectations are high, yes, but are IMO are realistic based on the current and predicted composition of the team.

[Edited by - HARDCOREKNICKSFAN on 01/25/2004 11:12:58]
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Bobby
USA
1/25/2004  11:28 AM
We were going first round with Chaney in his last year reguardless.......Now we have his replacement I'm thinking deep in the playoffs, I'm thinking upset
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/25/2004  1:44 PM
i don't agree with the deep in the playoffs and upset talk. indy is light years better than us and detroit is the definition of a team. nj has been handing us ass-whoopings for 2 years straight. ok, now we have marbury, but who can match up athletically to rj and kmart. i don't want kurt back here, especially for the $8 mil/year that's being rumored. we'll see how much he's gonna hurt us during the playoffs this year - kmart, j.o., ben wallace - he's going to get abused.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
1/25/2004  4:13 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

i don't agree with the deep in the playoffs and upset talk. indy is light years better than us and detroit is the definition of a team. nj has been handing us ass-whoopings for 2 years straight. ok, now we have marbury, but who can match up athletically to rj and kmart. i don't want kurt back here, especially for the $8 mil/year that's being rumored. we'll see how much he's gonna hurt us during the playoffs this year - kmart, j.o., ben wallace - he's going to get abused.

i agree about KT... i think players will be more willing to play in NY now.
playa2

1/26/2004  6:48 AM
The Honeymoon is about over can Lenny now get this team to win more than 4 consecutives games in a row?
playa2

2/3/2004  7:50 PM
This is the stretch where all what I have been saying is gonna happen, the honeymoon is offically over and these games in the month of FEB will show how this team is playing with mirrors after the marbury trade. Lenny will show he doesn't know whats going on. Marbury will go solo just like he did on previous teams. You heard it first here!
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/4/2004  12:52 AM
Especially in the East, the playoffs are anybody's game. Right now, we're on pace to perhaps challenge for home court advantage in the first round (4th seed). We'll assume Detroit, Indy, and NJ will control the top-3 spots. We could fall in the first round or go all the way to the finals-- nothing's guaranteed, regardless of seeding.

When talking team matchups, I think one thing to consider is the Knicks' depth. We go 2-deep at each position and have a bunch of multi-positional (versatile) players. If anything, tonight's win over the Pacers at least put us on the same planet as them.

The Pacers are still the same young team that has lost in the first round the last few years-- in fact, in spite of their record, they're worse on paper--- they lost MAJOR depth over the summer, giving up All-Star Brad Miller for virtually nothing... and losing Ron Mercer for nothing.

NJ gave up Mutombo for nothing, then lost Mourning. Griffin would have been great, but it looks like he's not going to be a part of their active team this year.

Detroit traded away key contributors in Barry and Robinson, signed the over the hill Elden Campbell; their success comes mostly as a result of internal improvements.

It's funny (and ironic) that all of the projected playoff teams have had coaching changes... So much for stability.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
playa2

2/4/2004  7:33 AM
Tech, first the excuse was we haven't jelled yet, next is gonna be our top scorer isn't playing. You guys saw a real good game by the knicks and Pacers didn't play there best ball and you know it. Sometimes back to back will just zap your strength. Especially seeing Miller take those off balance 3's. Never seen that before from him in the garden ask Spike Lee about that one. Neverthe less knicks get much earned victory.
What should be NYK fans(REAL) expectations

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy