Author Thread
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
1/24/2004  10:11 AM
Thomas says Knicks are done dealing -- for now

Jan 23, 2004
ATLANTA (AP) -- New York Knicks president Isiah Thomas might be done dealing for a while.

"We'll always try to improve the team," Thomas said Friday night before the Knicks played the Atlanta Hawks. "But at this point, we don't have anything."

Since replacing ousted team president Scott Layden on Dec. 22, Thomas has turned over nearly half the roster and a majority of the coaching staff.

Thomas pulled off a blockbuster trade with Phoenix earlier this month for Stephon Marbury and Penny Hardaway. After struggling initially with the new players, New York had won four of its past five entering Friday night's game.

"I don't think we'll ever do anything quite as good in my time here as getting a player as good as Stephon Marbury," Thomas said. "In your GM career, those types of deals are few and far between."

That doesn't mean Thomas feels the Knicks have all the pieces. He talked about getting more athletic and possibly adding a presence in the low post -- "Everybody's looking for Shaq," he said -- but said making more trades will be difficult.

"We would like to get better there, to control the game from the paint," Thomas said. "I'd like to give Lenny the option to control it from the paint and from the perimeter.

"I don't know if we'll be able to get that done. It's hard making deals in this business, period."
AUTOADVERT
RonRon
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #246
1/24/2004  10:15 AM
maybe its not a bad thing, imagine rasheed taking the midlevel exception to be a knicks...hey he says he wants to play here and malone and payton are pulling stuff like dis off, so ill keep my fingers crossed that it will be better of for us..
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
1/24/2004  10:29 AM
I don't see in that article where he says "the Knicks are done dealing -- for now". It sounds to me like he'd like to make another deal if he can.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
1/24/2004  10:56 AM
Sheed will never settle for the mid level - he is too young. Payton and Malone are done - thats why they signed on to get a share of Kobe and Shaq'a rings - they couldnt do it on their own and they had enough in the bank to sell out for next to nothing. Sheed on the other hand can still get a decent payday and play for a contender.

Not that I wouldnt love him to take the mid level and play for NY. I just dont think it will happen.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
1/24/2004  11:48 AM
Even if Zeke si done dealing for now its not bad. We can still go deep into the playoffs with this team given the time to gel. Lets hope it works out.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/24/2004  12:10 PM
I think Portland's statement about there being no deal on the table just means the opposite and Rasheed will wind up in NY, which is where he wants to be traded.
spreeeewell
Member: #436
1/24/2004  12:35 PM
[quote]
Posted by gunsnewing:

I think Portland's statement about there being no deal on the table just means the opposite and Rasheed will wind up in NY, which is where he wants to be traded.
I think portland wants to make a trade with us.They just dont want van horn and isaih does not want to give up kurt.I say give up thomas,doleac and frank williams for wallace and miles.and we use penny as i'll back up point guard,shooting guard and small forward off the bench.We have to give up something good in order to get what we need....
I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!
RonRon
Member: #246
1/24/2004  12:35 PM
maybe its not a bad thing, imagine rasheed taking the midlevel exception to be a knicks...hey he says he wants to play here and malone and payton are pulling stuff like dis off, so ill keep my fingers crossed that it will be better of for us..
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
1/24/2004  12:38 PM
Isiah says he's done dealing for now cause he can't his main target,Rasheed Wallace over here. Zeke pretty much unloaded all his attractive, appealing assets on the Marbury deal.

The only assets left to unload would be Frank Williams, Doleac, Harrington and Kurt Thomas. Not enough to get you a bonfide lethal post-up big man.

As of now, there's nothing Isiah can do in terms of getting a Star Big man. He even admit it's really difficult to obtain 2 stars within a 3 month period..
The Future. GO KNICKS!
sandiegoknick
Member: #57
USA
1/24/2004  12:47 PM
I think IT may be making another Smoke Screen. He said he would lie to the media and he could be doing it now. If the right deal comes along, he will make it. If not, he will wait until the off season.
Marvin "The Human Eraser" Webster
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
1/24/2004  1:21 PM
Posted by WOODMANnYk:

The only assets left to unload would be Frank Williams, Doleac, Harrington and Kurt Thomas. Not enough to get you a bonfide lethal post-up big man.

The Blazers said that they wanted Kurt Thomas. A three way was in the works as well with Atlanta, but that fell through.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
1/24/2004  1:53 PM
Posted by sandiegoknick:

I think IT may be making another Smoke Screen. He said he would lie to the media and he could be doing it now. If the right deal comes along, he will make it. If not, he will wait until the off season.

Good post. That pretty much sums it up IMO.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

1/24/2004  3:40 PM
Posted by WOODMANnYk:

Isiah says he's done dealing for now cause he can't his main target,Rasheed Wallace over here. Zeke pretty much unloaded all his attractive, appealing assets on the Marbury deal.

As of now, there's nothing Isiah can do in terms of getting a Star Big man. He even admit it's really difficult to obtain 2 stars within a 3 month period..

Pretty much says it all, we had a choice get a talented big man Raheed OR a pg who can score and we chose the latter we are done trading. SHEED could have been our big low post SCORING THREAT FOR THE PLAYOFFS and we could have played team ball with Houston Frank, KVH and sheed. NUFF SAID!
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
"Thomas says Knicks done dealing - - for now" -article

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy