Author Thread
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
1/24/2004  4:40 AM
From Frank Isola's column in the Daily News:

Wallace eyes Knick deal

ATLANTA - Rasheed Wallace has let the Trail Blazers know that if he is to be traded, he wants to end up with the Knicks, according to NBA sources.
Isiah Thomas has been trying to acquire Wallace for several weeks, but the Blazers have little interest in what the Knicks are offering. The Knicks may either have to include a third team or simply wait until the summer, when Wallace becomes a free agent, and possibly land him in a sign-and-trade.

Thomas, the Knicks' president, reiterated yesterday he wants to add more athletic players, preferably a big man. The one encouraging sign for Thomas is that Wallace wants to join the Knicks. Last month, Thomas was upset after Eddie Griffin signed with the Nets; Thomas said then he wanted to get players who want to come to New York.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/157849p-138603c.html

This better be good- especially after how the Daily News dropped the ball on that whole Fratello thing. If the Knicks still get Sheed, among all the rumors flying around, maybe Frank Isola will get some credibility back. LOL

Isiah's idea is working: players- GOOD players- are atarting to express some interest in coming here. I love it!
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
1/24/2004  5:47 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/45140.htm

BLAZERS: NO DEAL ON TABLE

By MARC BERMAN

January 24, 2004 -- KNICK NOTES

Blazers officials are amused by the perception the Knicks are still in the hunt for Rasheed Wallace.

Two weeks ago, The Post reported talks had broken down. Nothing has changed since. Yet there's still speculation in some quarters that Isiah Thomas may get Wallace by the Feb. 19 deadline.

Because Blazers GM John Nash has no interest in Keith Van Horn, a deal can't be made. That is, unless Thomas somehow gets a third team involved that would take Van Horn.

"We got zero dialogue with the Knicks," a Blazers executive told The Post. "[Isiah] may be banging on us, give him credit. But dialogue takes two. . . . In here, we're not talking about any Knick stuff."

Blazers owner Paul Allen, who has been vacationing on a remote island, e-mailed the team's front office a few days ago to ask if any of the rumors were true. The billionaire magnate received the e-mail answer: "There's nothing New York can offer us."

After a couple of Thomas' proposals were shot down, the Knick president asked Portland to devise a counter-offer, but the Blazers couldn't.

"The problem in the West is, there's a monster forward to guard every night," the Blazer official said. "Keith can't guard them."

Thomas, trying to temper expectations on his next trade, admitted the difficulty in obtaining two All-Stars in two months. "You only get a chance in your career, maybe once or twice, to trade for [a player like Stephon Marbury]," he said. "We'll always try to improve the team. [But] we don't have anything that's imminent. It's hard to make deals, especially with our cap situation."

TheSage
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #386
1/24/2004  8:29 AM
This works-probably wont happen but here it is

New York trades: PF Othella Harrington (4.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.8 minutes)
C Kurt Thomas (11.7 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 33.5 minutes)
SF Keith Van Horn (16.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 1.6 apg in 34.2 minutes)
New York receives: SF Qyntel Woods (4.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 14.0 minutes)
SF Rasheed Wallace (17.3 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 2.7 apg in 38.3 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -11.0 ppg, -9.1 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

Portland trades: SF Qyntel Woods (4.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 14.0 minutes)
SG Ruben Patterson (7.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.8 apg in 24.1 minutes)
Portland receives: C Kurt Thomas (11.7 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 43 games)
PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6 games)
PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (19.9 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 2.5 apg in 43 games)
Change in team outlook: +5.9 ppg, +7.7 rpg, and -0.6 apg.

Atlanta trades: PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.3 minutes)
PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (19.9 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 2.5 apg in 36.3 minutes)
Atlanta receives: PF Othella Harrington (4.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 32 games)
SF Keith Van Horn (16.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 1.6 apg in 37 games)
SG Ruben Patterson (7.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.8 apg in 32 games)
Change in team outlook: +5.1 ppg, +1.4 rpg, and +1.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
1/24/2004  12:46 PM
"The problem in the West is, there's a monster forward to guard every night," the Blazer official said. "Keith can't guard them."
I can't honestly believed some knick fans out there strongly think Portland wants VAN HORN.. If you people are constantly killing the guy(KVH) about his defense, what makes you think Portland would take his ass to battle the major league forwards out west????

Common sense would tell people, Van Horn would be considered a liability out west... John Nash isn't stupid.. He wants something back in return for RasWeed... Something, the knicks just don't have right now... Portland still wants to make the Playoffs, not take a setback...

[Edited by - WOODMANnYk on 01/24/2004 12:48:34]
The Future. GO KNICKS!
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
1/24/2004  1:15 PM
Wonder if he'll take the minimum like Payton and Malone did.
CTKnicksfan
Member: #572
1/24/2004  1:19 PM
First time poster here. It's pretty clear to me that IT still wants to improve the team, despite these reports about being through dealing. I definitley think Sheed could help the Knicks, but it also seems pretty clear that Portland dosen't want KVH and will, if necessary,
wait until the offseason and let sheed walk for the salary relief. The trick is finding a third team who would actually want KVH AND have something to offer the Blazers in return.

Only one really comes to mind: Utah. He went to school there and they have been linked to KVH rumors in the past.

Here's a deal that works under the trade checker. It seems pretty unrealistic, but consider the logic before passing judgement:

New York trades: C Michael Doleac
PF Mike Sweetney
SF Keith Van Horn
PG Frank Williams

New York receives: SF Qyntel Woods
SF Rasheed Wallace
Change in team outlook: -5.5 ppg, -3.0 rpg, and -1.1 apg.

Portland trades: SF Qyntel Woods
SF Rasheed Wallace

Portland receives: PG Frank Williams
C Greg Ostertag
PF Keon Clark
Change in team outlook: -7.9 ppg, +2.9 rpg, and +1.2 apg.

Utah trades: C Greg Ostertag
PF Keon Clark

Utah receives: C Michael Doleac
PF Mike Sweetney
SF Keith Van Horn
Change in team outlook: +13.4 ppg, +0.1 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Now for the logic....

NYK: Has been discussed in great detail on other threads, so I won't go into it here. I think he'd be a great fit and make the Knicks REAL Eastern contenders.

Portland: Gets a good young PG in Frank williams to be the backup and eventual successor to Damon Stoudamire. Ostertag and Clark come off the books at the end of the year, so Portland still gets big time salary reilef this summer. It also helps this year by ending the constant trade rumors, opens up time at the 3 for newly acquired Darius Miles. Clark can help out at the 4 and 5, and Ostertag is a servicable backup. It's a good deal if their only other option is to keep Sheed past the deadline and let him walk this summer.

Utah: This one's tougher, since the Jazz are one of only a few teams with cap room next year. Trading Clark and Ostertag for KVH would eliminate that advantage. Also, their best player(Kirilenko) is also a small forward. But consider this: The Jazz had a ton of cap room last
year too, in a much deeper free agent market, and could get NO ONE to sign. A couple of restricted FA's used them for offer sheets that were eventually matched. Look at the free agents for this summer and tell me who's gonna sign with the Jazz? Kobe?? Sheed?? Spare me... The other teams withcap room: the Nuggets (good young core w Carmelo & Nene), the Suns (thanks to us) and even the Clippers (...well it IS LA, after all) are all more attractive landing spots for big FAs before Utah. After the top tier guys get their money the Jazz will be looking at guys who aren't worth a lot, and will have to overpay to keep them from going elsewhere for the MLE. There isn't another guy
out there like KVH who could give them 17/7 consistently. I added Sweetney to the deal because I thought the Jazz would need more than KVH in order give up the cap room. (it works with or without him)

Jerry Sloan has been doing it with smoke and mirrors this year and the Jazz are actually competing for a playoff spot in the tough west.
However, they lost Matt Harpring for the year, and KVH and Sweetney could give them some more size and scoring. Doleac essentailly replaces Ostertag, at 1/10th the salary...

Like I said, pretty unlikely, but you never know...
keyindabox
Member: #562
USA
1/24/2004  1:22 PM
Well if the deal doesnt happen by the trade deadline,then we can still hope that we sign Rasheed Wallace in the summer. Now that happening we have a better chance than we do with making a trade for Sheed.
"I usually mess up, but I learn. I come back sronger. Everyone changes, becomes better people. We all should get that chance. I just want my chance."-Tupac Shakur
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
1/24/2004  1:29 PM
We're over the cap. Even if we wait till the offseason, we can only get Sheed via a sign-&-trade with Portland. Aside from exceptions (MLE, etc.), we can't sign anyone outright.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
1/24/2004  2:46 PM
It's a wrap for Dale Davis in Portland. The Blazers are going to want him outta there now.

Davis takes a walk on Blazers

The center, who already was upset over his diminished role, leaves practice after a discussion over a fine for missing a game

01/24/04

JASON QUICK

Center Dale Davis has gone AWOL on the Trail Blazers, abruptly leaving Friday's practice after an exchange with general manager John Nash over a team-issued fine.

Davis was upset that the Blazers fined him for being unable to make the team's flight to Minneapolis on Jan. 7.

Davis, who lives in the West Hills, said he was unable to get out of his steep driveway because of the snow and ice storm that hit Portland that week. He rejoined the team Jan. 9 in Chicago.

Davis was on the practice court Friday when he spotted Nash and left the workout to speak with him. The two exchanged words, and Davis left the practice facility, stunning Nash and coach Maurice Cheeks.

"It's very disappointing and it's unprofessional," Nash said. "But we will deal with it."

Davis was not available for comment Friday.

It was not disclosed how much Davis was fined.

This is not the first time Davis has left the team in protest, and it adds to a list of fines related to tardiness.

In 2000, his first season with the Blazers, Davis skipped a team practice in Salt Lake City and flew to Las Vegas in protest of playing only five minutes during a Christmas Day game in Los Angeles against the Lakers. Last season, Davis was fined for missing the team's practice in Chicago after staying out late on New Year's Eve. This season, he was fined and taken out of the starting lineup for being late to the team's morning shootaround before last Saturday's game against Dallas.

Cheeks said Davis will not start today against Golden State, but he expects him to play . . . if the matter is resolved.

"It will be rectified at some point, but right now I just have to deal with who I have now on the floor," Cheeks said.

Davis already had been simmering about his role on the team, which has diminished greatly this season with the emergence of Zach Randolph.

Davis met with Cheeks this month to voice his displeasure. Thursday, Davis said he told Cheeks that he felt he was being phased out of the team's plans because he never touched the ball.

"I don't need a lot of shots, but it's nice to touch the ball every once in a while," Davis said. "But the way things were going, I was just running up and down the court. It was like I was just out there for no reason."

Davis said he also was told recently by Cheeks that his starting role was no longer guaranteed every night.

"I don't agree with him," Davis said. "But what are you going to do?"

Cheeks said this week he would start Davis only when the opponent has a bigger center. In the Blazers' last game -- Tuesday at Sacramento -- Rasheed Wallace started at center and Davis came off the bench. He played 30 minutes, getting 10 rebounds without scoring. Cheeks, however, said he planned on starting Davis today, before he walked out on practice.

It has been a trying season for Davis, 34, who is having one of the worst seasons in his 13-year career. He is averaging 6.3 points and 6.8 rebounds and shooting 49.7 percent. Davis said that his agent has informed him that New York, Toronto and Philadelphia have inquired about trading for him this season, but that he doesn't necessarily want to leave Portland.

"I just want to play and feel like I'm involved," Davis said.

Neither Davis nor Cheeks says there is a rift between them. In fact, Cheeks says Davis is one of his favorite people on the team, and Davis has had nothing but positive things to say about his coach.

"I'm not concerned about Dale," Cheeks said. "I never have any concerns about Dale. He was obviously upset, right or wrong, and he did what he felt he had to do. When he comes back to the team, we will sit down and talk and go from there."

http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/sports/1074949433326390.xml

Maybe we can take him in a package deal....

He's in the last year of his contract (9M) too....
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
1/24/2004  3:51 PM
I agree with CTKnickfan about Utah. Here is the trade I propose.

New York trades:
SF Shandon Anderson (7.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.2 apg in 23.3 minutes)
SF Keith Van Horn (16.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 1.7 apg in 34.0 minutes)
PG Frank Williams (4.6 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 2.3 apg in 12.8 minutes)
C Kurt Thomas (11.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.9 apg in 33.2 minutes)

New York receives:
SF Matt Harpring (16.2 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.6 minutes)
SG Derek Anderson (11.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3.0 apg in 24.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +3.8 ppg, -2.4 rpg, and +0.6 apg.

Utah trades:
PF Keon Clark (2.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)
SF Matt Harpring (16.2 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.6 minutes)
SG DeShawn Stevenson (11.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.7 apg in 28.0 minutes)
PF Jarron Collins (5.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.0 apg in 19.9 minutes)
1st Rounder

Utah receives:
SF Shandon Anderson (7.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.2 apg in 44 games)
SF Keith Van Horn (16.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 1.7 apg in 38 games)
Change in team outlook: -10.6 ppg, -8.2 rpg, and -2.3 apg.

Portland trades:
SG Derek Anderson (11.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3.0 apg in 24.8 minutes)

Portland receives:
PG Frank Williams (4.6 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 2.3 apg in 39 games)
C Kurt Thomas (11.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.9 apg in 44 games)
PF Keon Clark (2.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 2 games)
SG DeShawn Stevenson (11.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.7 apg in 41 games)
PF Jarron Collins (5.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.0 apg in 41 games)
Utah 1st Rounder

Change in team outlook: +6.8 ppg, +10.6 rpg, and +1.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

We would also promise to trade Matt Harpring back to Utah in the offseason. He is done for the season, and we are basically paying his contract until he gets better. Shandon had his career years in Utah, and KVH is as close to a "star" as Utah will get to in the coming years. No one wants to sign with them. Jason Terry has a clause in his contract that he can be traded to ANY team except Utah. I dont think Utah will trade Ostertag right now. Portland doesnt have to go for this, but they get D Stevenson and F Williams, two players who in theory could start for them ahead of D Stoudamire and W Person (two players who will be gone by next year). K Clark, J Collins come off the books at the end of the year, and the Utah 1st could get them another player. At the end of the year they could sign and trade K Thomas who'll play big for them there to prove he shouldnt have been traded and going into FA. Maybe they'll be stubborn and hold onto Wallace, but if Wallace pushes their hand. This trade works for all teams involved. Maybe throw in M Sweetney to Portland as well if they want another chip. Portland then should be able to trade Dale Davis and Travis Outlaw (or someone else) to Indiana for Al Harrington and Scott Pollard.

I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

1/24/2004  4:11 PM
Have you guys forgotten when (soon to be free agent)Chris Webber pulled that I want to play in NY with Srewell crap a yr ago just for salary leverage for his next contract, knowing we couldn't pay him as much as Sac-town could. Well how can you not see that some of the players earlier aren't trying to use the same strategy for themselves. The only player who wanted to come home and play in the Garden we already have...his name is STEPHON MARBURY!
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
1/24/2004  4:38 PM
Posted by gogetit:

Have you guys forgotten when (soon to be free agent)Chris Webber pulled that I want to play in NY with Srewell crap a yr ago just for salary leverage for his next contract, knowing we couldn't pay him as much as Sac-town could. Well how can you not see that some of the players earlier aren't trying to use the same strategy for themselves. The only player who wanted to come home and play in the Garden we already have...his name is STEPHON MARBURY!

Yeah, I remember that...wasnt spree told no more talkin' to CWEbb concerning trade talks ?.... Sheed will be a free agent after the end of this season and should be the best time for the minimum.

You know Skip wanted to play in New York, and Jay Williams dream was playing in New York before the Bulls drafted him
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/24/2004  4:50 PM
Take the Dump!

If we don't resign KT, then he leaves at years end. So either he becomes our future, or trade him with KVH if KVH has little value.

Then trade Doleac for Rwhite.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
1/24/2004  4:55 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Take the Dump!

If we don't resign KT, then he leaves at years end. So either he becomes our future, or trade him with KVH if KVH has little value.

Then trade Doleac for Rwhite.

Letting KT leave makes no sense. His contract only counts for $5 million against the Knicks' cap, therefore removing it will have a very negligible effect, and the Knicks won't have have the financial flexibility to replace him (other than the MLE). He either re-signs or he will be traded.

[Edited by - Rich on 01/24/2004 16:56:04]
CTKnicksfan
Member: #572
1/24/2004  5:15 PM
Posted by gogetit:

The big difference here is that Sacramento actually wanted to keep Webber. There was no way Webber was going to force the issue with Sac when they had a huge offer on the table. I'm pretty sure Portland dosen't want to keep Sheed. They won't be making him a big offer to stay and will have to pursue a sign and trade aggressivley or risk him leaving for nothing. Wallace will have more leverage to force Portland's hand than Webber did with Sacramento.
WOODMANnYk
USA
1/24/2004  10:04 PM
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:

From Frank Isola's column in the Daily News:

Wallace eyes Knick deal

ATLANTA - Rasheed Wallace has let the Trail Blazers know that if he is to be traded, he wants to end up with the Knicks, according to NBA sources.
Isiah Thomas has been trying to acquire Wallace for several weeks, but the Blazers have little interest in what the Knicks are offering. The Knicks may either have to include a third team or simply wait until the summer, when Wallace becomes a free agent, and possibly land him in a sign-and-trade.

Thomas, the Knicks' president, reiterated yesterday he wants to add more athletic players, preferably a big man. The one encouraging sign for Thomas is that Wallace wants to join the Knicks. Last month, Thomas was upset after Eddie Griffin signed with the Nets; Thomas said then he wanted to get players who want to come to New York.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/157849p-138603c.html

This better be good- especially after how the Daily News dropped the ball on that whole Fratello thing. If the Knicks still get Sheed, among all the rumors flying around, maybe Frank Isola will get some credibility back. LOL

Isiah's idea is working: players- GOOD players- are atarting to express some interest in coming here. I love it!

Bro when you wrote this topic, you misquoted the topic. You meant WEED DEAL STILL VERY IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!! only if Van Horn is included...

[Edited by - WOODMANnYk on 01/24/2004 22:04:57]
The Future. GO KNICKS!
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
1/24/2004  10:13 PM
The lengths some go for attention... LOL
WOODMANnYk
USA
1/24/2004  10:23 PM

It wasn't a purpose for attention, I have someone @ home to give me all the attention i want. It was an indication that he ain't coming here..
The Future. GO KNICKS!
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

1/24/2004  10:29 PM

Desperate people say desperate things
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
1/24/2004  10:31 PM
The last two posts are good examples of that. LMMFAO!!
Sheed Deal Still VERY Possible!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy