Member: #511
USA
1/24/2004  2:27 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1074927238102750.xml

Knicks notebook: Three-way deal unlikely

Saturday, January 24, 2004

BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

ATLANTA -- Isiah Thomas and Billy Knight met for about 35 minutes outside the Hawks' locker room last night, each man highly motivated to change his roster for very different reasons.

Thomas wants to make his Knicks more athletic while Knight, the Hawks' GM, wants to slash payroll. And not coincidentally, rumors abound that the two general managers are trying to put together a three-way trade with Portland.

But it may be problematic.

The Knicks would acquire forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim ($13.5M) in the proposed deal, and ship Keith Van Horn ($13.3M) to Portland. The Blazers, in turn, would send Rasheed Wallace ($16.9M) to Atlanta, which is in salary-dump mode and would let him skip in the summer. Spare parts would be added to make the salaries match.

The problem: The Blazers held it up because they also want Kurt Thomas, according to one Eastern Conference GM familiar with the talks. Van Horn is not enough, especially for Blazers GM John Nash, who was bum-rushed by agent David Falk into giving Van Horn that $73 million deal with the Nets four years ago.

Secondly, are the Knicks willing to send away two starting forwards for the price of one -- even if Abdur-Rahim is a near 20-and-10 man? Not likely, unless there is a side deal for an athletic small forward.

But Isiah Thomas doesn't want to be put in a situation in which he has to proclaim his everlasting loyalty to Kurt Thomas. When asked how difficult it would be to part with his starting power forward, the team president replied, "I'll never talk about anything like that. And if I was to answer that question, I would totally have to lie to you."
AUTOADVERT
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
1/24/2004  3:25 AM
Oh Wow... I did a trade like that on RealGM.

Who knows what's gonna happen now... As long as we get better because of it, in the end.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
scoshin
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #568
1/24/2004  3:32 AM
From a credible source from the Real GM boards (from a global moderator, part of the press I believe, who was at the Knicks/Hawks game), there was also some Toronto executives there. He says it's only speculation on his part, which is why he's not going to write an article, but that Toronto may be involved in a deal as well (considering they don't play Atlanta for quite some time and have no reason to be at the game).

And maybe IT never even wanted Sheed, heh. "I will lie to the media." Cuz if he wanted Sheed, wouldn't they just deal with Portland one-on-one? (ie. KVH + KT for Sheed)
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
1/24/2004  4:00 AM
Toronto??

Okay... I'm interested to see what I can bang outta the Trade Checker- what some of these possible deals would look like on paper.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
1/24/2004  4:12 AM
Here's another source of the Shareef rumor:

Thomas seeks low-post help

By MICHAEL LEE
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Knicks president of basketball operations Isiah Thomas has generated enthusiasm in New York since taking over for Scott Layden on Dec. 22. He acquired Stephon Marbury in a blockbuster deal with the Phoenix Suns and hired a Hall of Fame coach in Lenny Wilkens. Madison Square Garden is buzzing.

But there is no rest for the weary. The Knicks entered their game against the Hawks four games from the Atlantic Division lead, and Thomas desires to add a low-post presence.

"That's an area we'd like to get better at -- being able to ball down there," Thomas said. "Control the game from the paint as opposed to the perimeter."

Rumors have circulated in New York that Thomas has interest in Shareef Abdur-Rahim. Thomas didn't single out any players Friday, but he hasn't hid his desire for Portland forward Rasheed Wallace.

"You always try to improve," he said. "That being said, at this point we don't have anything on the table."

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/0104/24notes.html
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
1/24/2004  10:06 AM
I would much rather have shareef than rasheed on the knicks.(except for the fact that rasheed could also play C).
NJ.com: Three way deal unlikely

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy