[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks should go hard after Kendrick Perkins next Summer.
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
12/6/2010  12:41 PM
No to Kendrick Perkins

Go Long

Knicks should go hard after 6'11 Jonas Valanciunas of Lithuania

"... Shows a soft touch on his shot with excellent shooting mechanics and overall fundamentals ...

Can face the basket and knock down shots out to 12 feet ...

(best part) Good basketball IQ ...

Strong motor. Plays with a strong competitive drive ...

Hard working kid who should continue to improve ... Shows solid vision and court sense, getting rid of the ball and finding teammates when doubled ..."

- NBADraft.net

once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/6/2010  1:16 PM
misterearl wrote:No to Kendrick Perkins

Go Long

Knicks should go hard after 6'11 Jonas Valanciunas of Lithuania

"... Shows a soft touch on his shot with excellent shooting mechanics and overall fundamentals ...

Can face the basket and knock down shots out to 12 feet ...

(best part) Good basketball IQ ...

Strong motor. Plays with a strong competitive drive ...

Hard working kid who should continue to improve ... Shows solid vision and court sense, getting rid of the ball and finding teammates when doubled ..."

- NBADraft.net

see what they wrote about Skita...
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
12/6/2010  1:26 PM
"see what they wrote about Skita..."

fishmike - you show me a perfect scouting report and I'll show you Anthony Mason, Charles Oakley, John Starks and Landry Fields

Kendrick Perkins has squinchy cartoon lips.

No thank you.

once a knick always a knick
fishmike
USA
12/6/2010  1:27 PM
martin wrote:fair enough, but know that you are losing a voice both on the court and in practice/locker room.

Not sure how much on an impact he has behind the scenes but my guess is it's a LOT. valuable intangible. Plus that beard is awesome.

Martin, I'm inclined to do nothing. Literally. My MO right now is to continue to build chemistry and expand the rotation just enough to get Amare's minutes down the lower 30s.

Keep running out Mosgov. We have great leadership in Amare/Felton and its 100% translated into our younger players playing better and winning games.

Unless I get a really unique opportunity to pick up a great player in a firesale (like Curry + Gallo for Melo) I'm standing pat. Gallo, Fields, Chandler, Williams, Douglas, Mosgov, AR.. all 24 or under. I predicted 45 wins and I think we really have some good pieces here. Amare being 28 doesnt put me on some kind of fast track. Garnett is 34 and Bos has done well developing other pieces (Rondo).

I would be quite happy to extend Turiaf and Chandler. Bring Williams back if he's for real and focus on finding some pieces in the draft. Use the MLE maybe. Stay cap friendly for when deals come around.

Felton outplayed CP3 in NC for a national title. He outplayed him Friday night. We are looking better and better every day there. Lets see what we have (I dont know)

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/6/2010  2:04 PM
Timo's sudden problems with stone hands has a lot to do with TD's passes when he does passes the ball. A lot of the passes were to his knees. That dunk last night from Felton, Felton hit him right on the chest and Timo caught with his hands for an emphatic flush. Timo looks like he has problems catching low passes. Felton I think will figure this out as he has with the PnR with Amare. TD is a whole other issue.
fishmike
USA
12/6/2010  2:16 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Bippity10 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I really want to stick with Timo. I think he will get better as the season progresses.

I'm with you. I think we need another big guy, but I'm okay with Mozgov getting these limited minutes.

I agree with this but when he excelled at the Worlds he was a backup. I think he'll be a valuable rotation player but not necessarily a starter. Maybe he's a 7' high energy backup center. which is awesome, because that just doesn't exist.

yea.. I mean not every guy drafted has to be a star. A good bench is important also. If the guy becomes a good defensive sub/spot starter for 20 minutes a game this is a good find
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/6/2010  2:23 PM
The only addition I want to see right now is an extra PG because Felton won't admit he is too hurt to play, which I admire. They can make a strong run in the playoffs if Raymond is healthy. In the meantime the Knicks are winning even as Mosgov is learning so I'd rather Mozgov got the minutes. Eventually I want to see Randoph get more PT as Mozgov becomes more acclimated.
nyshakespeare
Alba Posts: 13
Member: #420
USA
12/6/2010  3:09 PM
It'll probably be hard to sign Perkins.
The C's would probably make him a priority
over Big Baby, since centers are harder to
find than scoring PFs.
It Is Solved By Walking
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/6/2010  3:19 PM
nyshakespeare wrote:It'll probably be hard to sign Perkins.
find than scoring PFs.

totally understand that but I'll put out this also: Perkins is expiring after this year and is coming off of and ACL and wont make it back until Feb. It'll take time for him to get back to speed and by then it'll be almost playoff time and will Doc Rivers be willing to let him get good enough minutes after Shaq and Jermaine? And both of those guys are signed through next year... so with luxury tax and possible holdout, will he be offered a contract (Boston already paying beaucoup luxury $).

And the dude is 26. Garnett, Ray Allen and Peirce are on their last legs while the Knicks are up and coming.

Lots of pros and cons for a guy like Perkins.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
scoshin
Member: #568
12/6/2010  3:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/6/2010  3:35 PM
Count me in the camp that prefers to develop Timo. He defends, has a nice shooting touch, can hit his FT's...the only thing he needs to do is rebound, but when he's on the court, he does a good job boxing out for someone else to grab the board anyway. I remember he even showed some nice outlet passes in preseason.

I really don't like big, lumbering centers who are a McDonald's binge away from eating themselves out of the league. The likes of Erick Dampier, Jerome James, etc., who overachieve for a big contract then disappear. They also tend to get injured quite often. And rarely, if ever, can they sustain the amount of minutes to play in a run-and-gun system like ours.

I'd rather look to sign Tyson Chandler in the summer, than the likes of Perkins. Marc Gasol, I really don't know his game well, but his numbers stand out.

nyshakespeare
Alba Posts: 13
Member: #420
USA
12/6/2010  3:42 PM
martin wrote:
nyshakespeare wrote:It'll probably be hard to sign Perkins.
find than scoring PFs.

totally understand that but I'll put out this also: Perkins is expiring after this year and is coming off of and ACL and wont make it back until Feb. It'll take time for him to get back to speed and by then it'll be almost playoff time and will Doc Rivers be willing to let him get good enough minutes after Shaq and Jermaine? And both of those guys are signed through next year... so with luxury tax and possible holdout, will he be offered a contract (Boston already paying beaucoup luxury $).

And the dude is 26. Garnett, Ray Allen and Peirce are on their last legs while the Knicks are up and coming.

Lots of pros and cons for a guy like Perkins.

Their payroll would reach Lakers status if they resign him,
but I'm sure a team like the Celtics would pay for another
shot to be Champs.

Who knows when Shaq or Jermaine will break down.

It Is Solved By Walking
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/7/2010  8:28 AM
martin wrote:
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:Sign him to a long term deal starting at $10M. Pushes Turiaf to bench.

By not going after Melo, allows Knicks to keep Turiaf, Chandler and maybe Azubuike. You platoon SF/PF as Gallo, Chandler, Williams, Amare.

Perhaps you dangle AR, etc for a backup PG.

Dig it.

Guy is always hurt--10mm long term is nuts!

??? up until his current injury he had like 4-5 years of being quite durable no?

I actually like this fit even better than Gasol. Perkins is a true dirty work banger. At 26 I would look at he and Mosgov as a nice rotation at center.

If we passed on Melo Perkins's more reasonable contract would let us resign Chandler

C Perkins/Mosgov
PF Amare
SF Gallo
SG Fields
PG Felton
bench: Chandler, Williams, Douglas, AR

Boy thats a big rugged tough team w/ nice balance of defense, size and scoring. I like it, and it lets us keep this core together which I think is very good. Amare/Felton/Gallo/Chandler/Fields... loving that group. Add shooting, size and depth and we are looking at an elite team IMO

don't forget Turiaf

I'm a little up in the air with him. He's got a PO for next year and its only about $4.5ish. Whats his value? Price? Contract status? Lot of question marks there.

I like him a lot (When he's on the floor) but there are a lot of question marks there. I think its likely he's a salary cap causualty and I'm looking to upgrade w/ Perkins and have AR step into a rotation role

fair enough, but know that you are losing a voice both on the court and in practice/locker room.

Not sure how much on an impact he has behind the scenes but my guess is it's a LOT. valuable intangible. Plus that beard is awesome.

We still got Herb Williams, don't we? Voices would seem to be overrated, over the long haul.

tj23
Member: #3119

12/7/2010  8:53 AM
cmon 10 mill a year for a scrappy garbage player? Don't get me wrong I like Perkins. He's not a bad offensive player. Plays some real good defense. But his rebounding is a questionmark. Basically giving up 1/6 of the payroll for a defender when we have Turiaf for half the price. I can understand Marc Gasol. He's a more skilled offensive player who also gets rebounds. I dont know if he will help us more than Melo tough.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/7/2010  9:25 AM
tj23 wrote:cmon 10 mill a year for a scrappy garbage player? Don't get me wrong I like Perkins. He's not a bad offensive player. Plays some real good defense. But his rebounding is a questionmark. Basically giving up 1/6 of the payroll for a defender when we have Turiaf for half the price. I can understand Marc Gasol. He's a more skilled offensive player who also gets rebounds. I dont know if he will help us more than Melo tough.

scrappy garbage player? I don't watch BOS much but I beg to differ.

Dude averages 7.5 rebounds in < 30 minutes of play next to Garnett. Blocks shots and plays some very ferocious D. That kind of plays allows Amare to concentrate on the O end of things and not worry about defense as much. Perfect compliment.

And having Perkins and Moz would be an awesome platoon at C.

Knicks offense is one of the best in the league right now. Their defense is like 18th. He adds to the Knicks' weakness more than Melo does.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
12/7/2010  9:29 AM
Perkins is exactly the kind of player they need. Can hold the post and rebound. He's also a great example of why you don't give up on developing a guy and why you shouldn't get too low on Mozgov. He slowly got better over 7 years in the league.
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

12/7/2010  9:43 AM
lol...i wanted to suggest this a few weeks ago....but thought i'd be run out of town with blazing torches a pitch forks...Perkins could be the final piece and lets us keep our guys that are performing now. Boston is in the decline because of it's ageing stars...the time is right...Perkins is a tough minded defensive animal...get him
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
12/8/2010  5:41 AM
I would take a flyer on Perkins. Real good role player. Guy has a little of that O.G. Charles Oakley feel. I can dig it.

I would probably prefer Gasol a little more, just based on upside, and would be willing to spend a little more on him.

Gasol is worth about $9-$11 mil. Perkins would be nice at $8-$10 mil.
If Perkins hit his free throws and was able to pretend to be a threat somewhere on offense he could be worth a little more than Gasol.

~You can't run from who you are.~
Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

12/8/2010  10:27 AM
fishmike wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:Sign him to a long term deal starting at $10M. Pushes Turiaf to bench.

By not going after Melo, allows Knicks to keep Turiaf, Chandler and maybe Azubuike. You platoon SF/PF as Gallo, Chandler, Williams, Amare.

Perhaps you dangle AR, etc for a backup PG.

Dig it.

Guy is always hurt--10mm long term is nuts!

??? up until his current injury he had like 4-5 years of being quite durable no?

I actually like this fit even better than Gasol. Perkins is a true dirty work banger. At 26 I would look at he and Mosgov as a nice rotation at center.

If we passed on Melo Perkins's more reasonable contract would let us resign Chandler

C Perkins/Mosgov
PF Amare
SF Gallo
SG Fields
PG Felton
bench: Chandler, Williams, Douglas, AR

Boy thats a big rugged tough team w/ nice balance of defense, size and scoring. I like it, and it lets us keep this core together which I think is very good. Amare/Felton/Gallo/Chandler/Fields... loving that group. Add shooting, size and depth and we are looking at an elite team IMO

Papabear Says

Chandler will not stay here just to be coming off the bench.

Papabear
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
12/8/2010  11:12 AM
I think Perky is a Celtic for life.
¿ △ ?
93BUICK
Member: #1175
USA
12/8/2010  12:59 PM
This title thread is asking for a "pause"
That being said I imagine we'd have to overpay to get Perk and he's not the guy I overpay for.
I see how he could fit in though because he really is a pain in the butt for opposing teams, even to Dwight H.
If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
Knicks should go hard after Kendrick Perkins next Summer.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy