[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

can Shawne Williams get some love?
Author Thread
earthmansurfer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #858
Germany
12/5/2010  8:02 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/the-knicks-fix-1.812055/williams-it-was-like-a-light-switch-clicked-on-1.2517998

Williams: 'It was like a light switch clicked on'

Saturday December 4, 2010 10:03 PM By Alan Hahn
New York Knicks forward Shawne Williams (3) shoots

Photo credit: AP

When rebuilding a team, you sometimes have to get lucky on a few hunches. Donnie Walsh already had one with the decision to draft unheralded prospect Landry Fields in the second round. But Walsh might be on the verge of going two-for-two, as Shawne Williams has emerged from a non-guaranteed training camp invitee to a valuable reserve in Mike D'Antoni's rotation.

With 13 points in 21 minutes on 5 of 7 shooting from the field in Friday's win over New Orleans, Williams provided a much-needed dimension for this team: a knock-down shooter. Toney Douglas and Bill Walker have been inconsistent and Roger Mason Jr. has struggled to regain his shooting form from his San Antonio days, so D'Antoni has been searching for a shooter to take advantage of those double-teams designed to stop Amar'e Stoudemire and the emerging pick-and-roll with Raymond Felton.

Williams, as evidenced not just in Friday's game but by what he has showed in practice scrimmages, has a sweet stroke, but more importantly, he's a high-IQ player who generally makes smart plays and moves the ball.

"I just want to thank Coach for giving me this opportunity," Williams said. "I knew it was going to come because, you know, it's 82 game season and with Ronny [Turiaf] down we're short some players. I just wanted to be ready and help the team when I could help them."

Williams came to the Knicks as a reclamation project desperate for a second chance. We told you his story back in October, just days before he was surprisingly chosen over fan-favorite Patrick Ewing Jr. for the final roster spot before opening night. Williams, whose troubled past made him somewhat of a risk, worked hardest on proving he had put his problems behind him while he put in extra time after practice working on his game. The 6-9 forward said he knew an opportunity would come sooner or later and his goal was to be ready for it.

"In this league, everybody gets a chance, everybody," Williams said. "Doesn't matter who you are, you could be the last person on the bench. But someone you always get a chance because it's 82 games . . . you just got to stay ready. Coach did a good job with preparing me though."

Truth is, D'Antoni has been talking about Williams for the last two weeks and just looking for a reason to get him into a game. Williams has played in each of the last three games (though his 1:37 against the Nets on Tuesday was garbage time) and will likely be in the rotation for the foreseeable future.

"We just needed what he gives us," D'Antoni said. "Shooting and I knew he was going to be open because of Amar'e and the pick-and-roll. We need somebody to knock 'em down and he did."

For Williams, that seems to be the easy part in this comeback for a former first round pick who after drug-related arrests and poor choices found himself out of the league just three seasons into his career when the Nets waived him in January.

"It's a lot different than before because through all the things I've been through, it's a lot different," Williams said. "I'm just playing ball. It's a lot easier. When I get on the court, all the off the court stuff and all the issues, it's out of my mind. I'm just playing ball."

Williams, who like many players whose growth is hindered by the tractor beam of guilt by less fortunate friends from their neighborhood, said he had an epiphany after his last transgression in July, when he was arrested along with friends in Memphis -- including former Memphis Tigers teammate Kareem Cooper -- allegedly in possession of drugs and a loaded gun. Williams was charged with driving with a suspended license.

The arrest came days after Williams played for the Charlotte Bobcats in the NBA Summer League and effectively ended any chance of getting an invite to Bobcats training camp. The Knicks agreed to have him in as a 16th player mostly as a favor to agent Happy Walters, who also represents Amar'e Stoudemire. Walsh knew Williams well because he was with the Pacers when Larry Bird selected him 17th overall in the 2006 draft.

No one knew what to expect when Williams arrived, but he was already a changed man.

"It was like a lightswitch clicked on one day and I just knew what I should be doing," Williams said. "I knew I should be just playing ball and that's the bottom line. I just got back into it."

At 24, there's still plenty of time for him. And though he openly laments the three wasted years, the road did lead him here, far away from that undisciplined kid who arrived in Indiana.

"I'm not going to say I'm in a better place because it could have been better, but I can say I wouldn't trade this space where I'm at now for nothing in the world," Williams said. "I'm playing ball, I love what I'm doing and I'm with a good group of guys."

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
AUTOADVERT
TheSage
Member: #386
12/5/2010  10:21 AM
Nice story and here's hoping he stays away from the hangers on and builds a successful career and life.
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
12/5/2010  10:33 AM
"Williams, as evidenced not just in Friday's game but by what he has showed in practice scrimmages, has a sweet stroke, but more importantly, he's a high-IQ player who generally makes smart plays and moves the ball."

NBADraft.net had this to say

Strengths: "Has tremendous versatility, at 6-8 Shawne can play from the 1-thru-4 positions ..."

Hold up right there. Did he say 1-4 positions?

"Extremely long with a 7-3 wingspan ... Advanced offensive game, really understands how to play ... Great one on one skills offensively ... Great vision, passing skills ... Good ball handler, almost second nature ... Can create for himself or others off the dribble drive ... Consistent jump shot, with range out to three point ... A highlight reel waiting to happen ... Extremely long wingspan makes him a terrific rebounder and shot blocker ... Good competitor, doesn't back down from a challenge, as he showed squaring off with Adam Morrison after being pushed ... His body is not far from being NBA ready ..."

- Aran Smith - 1/1/2006

Forget the love, forget the feel good comeback story and forget the sponges hanging around the players entrance.

If 6'9 point forward Shawne Williams can be trusted to bring the ball upcourt, that changes everything.

once a knick always a knick
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/5/2010  10:53 AM
"Has tremendous versatility, at 6-8 Shawne can play from the 1-thru-4 positions ..."

I guess we don't need find a backup PG then!
misterearl
USA
12/5/2010  12:15 PM
Iron Man

Bonn1997 - our Knicks greatest area of need is at center. In a cameo Anthony Mason impersonation, minimally, Williams can advance the pill against token defensive pressure.

In five previous NBA seasons, the scrappy Raymond Felton has only missed a total of 10 games. Just ten. The hope is that Felton's outstanding history of durability continues.

Andy Rautins can dribble a basketball everywhere he goes for the next nine months and play lead guard in Summer League. Mentor: Kenny Smith.

cheers
Member: #3316

12/5/2010  3:17 PM
more minutes for mr. shawne williams!
thejerk
Member: #962
12/5/2010  3:18 PM
Love?? I am going to name my first born after this man....
misterearl
USA
12/5/2010  3:20 PM
Hold up, Shawne Williams just hit another three
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/5/2010  3:22 PM
Who is that guy?
earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
12/5/2010  3:52 PM
Some of you guys were saying about Williams?

His stroke looked automatic tonight. We just got a lot more dangerous with another good shooter out there. Amare is going to get his points and they are not going to be able to double him as much, or else...

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
cheers

12/5/2010  3:53 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Who is that guy?

look dont make me get internet postal on you

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/5/2010  3:58 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:Some of you guys were saying about Williams?

His stroke looked automatic tonight. We just got a lot more dangerous with another good shooter out there. Amare is going to get his points and they are not going to be able to double him as much, or else...

We were just saying how we needed another 3pt shooter and we already had him. Great to see this kid getting his shot. Hope he keeps it up forever. I couldn't wait for someone to take Walker's place. I just couldn't take his lazy style of play. Sure he hit some 3's, but overall I just never liked his energy level. Williams isn't a high energy guy, but he seems more willing to get in the mix than Walker. I have a feeling that's why Mike gave him a shot. I think he saw the same things I did in Walker.
loweyecue
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #1037

12/5/2010  5:59 PM
I have only seen snatches of the last two games where he really bloomed. But isn't this a bit premature, I mean the guy can't keep hitting threes at that rate. Will you feel the same way if he is going through a slump?
TKF on Melo ::....he is a punk, a jerk, a self absorbed out of shape, self aggrandizing, unprofessional, volume chucking coach killing playoff loser!!
cheers

12/5/2010  6:02 PM
i will of course hate him if he dare goes through a slump

till then its all love

misterearl
USA
12/5/2010  6:07 PM
D’Antoni said he was more pleased with Williams’s first-half effort. He did not score then, but played solid defense and ran the offense.

“I love fourth-and-inches, I’m not going to lie,” Williams said. “I love being out there in the fourth quarter.”

Paladin55
Member: #2098

12/5/2010  6:15 PM
Assist to Amare for helping us land this guy. You also figure that he is a good role model for Williams.

Hope things work out for him (and the Knicks).

No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities- C.N. Bovee
loweyecue
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #1037

12/5/2010  7:39 PM
cheers wrote:i will of course hate him if he dare goes through a slump

till then its all love

Well, at least you are honest about it.

TKF on Melo ::....he is a punk, a jerk, a self absorbed out of shape, self aggrandizing, unprofessional, volume chucking coach killing playoff loser!!
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/6/2010  8:47 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Shawne-Williams-296/
Thing that jumps out at you is the 7'3 wingspan.. by comparison Amare's is 7'2 and Brook Lopez is 7'5. Thats a VERY long player. He's 24... thats a good age to get yourself together. Unlike recent years this is a positive team w/ Walsh, MDA, Felton, Amare... this is certainly a place this guy could get his stuff together and reach his potential which seems pretty high
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Paladin55
Member: #2098

12/6/2010  9:19 AM
fishmike wrote:http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Shawne-Williams-296/
Thing that jumps out at you is the 7'3 wingspan.. by comparison Amare's is 7'2 and Brook Lopez is 7'5. Thats a VERY long player. He's 24... thats a good age to get yourself together. Unlike recent years this is a positive team w/ Walsh, MDA, Felton, Amare... this is certainly a place this guy could get his stuff together and reach his potential which seems pretty high

Actually, for me, the number that jumps out is his lane agility- 10.69. To put this number into perspective, Tony Douglas' agility # was 10.63 seconds, and Stephon Curry's was 11.07.

No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities- C.N. Bovee
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
12/6/2010  9:20 AM
hey what was his "oden" number? that's all that matters.
can Shawne Williams get some love?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy