[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

can Shawne Williams get some love?
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
12/4/2010  9:39 AM
What tends to be forgotten is that Williams was a 1st rd pick! It's not like he doesn't have talent and upside. His only issue was off the court stuff and attitude. Talent wise he's always had a chance to be good. In fact we probably have only scratched the surface of what he can do. DW has been so good at loading up this team with prospects. Aside from Mason Jr. I really like what DW has done with the roster.

DW picked his coach and then went and got him D'Antoni players. Guys like Williams are a perfect fit for what Mike wants to do. Now if we can develop AR, Timo and Rautins, i'd be in BB Nirvana over this team.

AUTOADVERT
nychamp
Member: #2556

12/4/2010  10:11 AM
Not annointing him and all star or anything, but if it's a question of who gets 15 mins a night between him and Walker, it's very easy to fully jump off the Walker bandwagon and onto Williams'.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/4/2010  10:48 AM
I just wanna say I told you so, lol. Shawne Williams is one of my favorite young players.I believe the Dude can contribute to the rotation ans spot start if he needs to.

I actually wrote a blog on him last month I'm Nostradamus

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

12/4/2010  10:52 AM
nixluva wrote:
TheSage wrote:Enshrine him-its ONE game-he played well and shoot well in practice, Calm down. This group jumps on bandwagons like ants on a cake on the ground at a picnic

From everything i've read this guy has been playing great in practice all along. It was a matter of time before he got his chance to get in the rotation. I think it's hard to contain excitement when you have a guy that you know has talent, come in and play well. He's been gradually worked into the rotation and he looked like he was finally 100% comfortable.

It would be one thing if his good play was off the charts and could be passed off as a fluke, but he was just taking what the defense gave him and he was under control. You can tell when a player is just lucky or if he's successful cuz he's got game. I'm sure he'll have some bad games too, but he's a role player and so we're not expecting him to carry the team, just give us needed contributions off the bench. In any event I feel he gives more energy than Walker, so already I like him for the rotation.

Papabear Says

One game means nothing! Let's wait and see. I remember when Walker was getting all the praise. Now he is fat and over blown. No one wanted Fields REMEMBER! Let's not throw Walker under the bus or any of our players yet. Remember we are just learning how to play winning B ball. Let's give everyone a shot. Even Curry! Let bygones be bygones if Curry is really willing to play and keep his mouth shut.

Papabear
Papabear
Member: #1414

12/4/2010  10:54 AM
nychamp wrote:Not annointing him and all star or anything, but if it's a question of who gets 15 mins a night between him and Walker, it's very easy to fully jump off the Walker bandwagon and onto Williams'.

Papabear Says

Until he start missing those 3s and he's back in the dog house. LOL

Papabear
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
12/4/2010  11:43 AM
"What have you done for me lately ?"

- Janet Jackson

Shawne Williams simply stated a case for minutes. Anyone who thinks Donnie Walsh did not recognize a unique talent when he selected Wiliams with a first round slot is sadly mistaken

rumble young man, rumble

once a knick always a knick
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
12/4/2010  12:06 PM
Williams played well and therefore will be playing more in the near future. Lets see what he does and go from there. He has a good looking jump shot and I liked what I saw defensively.
JohnWallace44
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #910
USA
12/4/2010  12:36 PM
The truth is that Walker was pretty damn incredible last year after the Nate trade, so if he's right he's not redundant.
He's just not right at the moment.

The way Williams played tonight though, you have to give him more minutes. I want to know if he can post up guards. I want to know if he has ball handling capabilities that we talked about when he signed.

Even if he's just a spot up shooter with size that can play D, you have to wonder why he was out there to be signed.

We really have a nice group of forwards with size and skill. It will be interesting to see if there's a deal to be made down the road that can get us a backup point and a guy can dream, but having a third player who can get their own shot would be nice.

Alan Hahn: Nate Robinson has been on a ridonkulous scoring tear lately (remember when he couldn't hit Jerome James with a Big Mac in early January?)
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
12/4/2010  12:58 PM
I dont think there's a lot to wonder about why he wasn't signed- Williams' work ethic and attitude was bad at all of his stops and therefore his game was inconsistent to bordlerine. He has his head on straight right now (at least temporarily) so maybe he can play some ball. But his history suggests he's the kind of guy who won't live up to his potential. You never know at this point.

I always thought Qyntel Woods played pretty well for us and he was a similar guy.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/4/2010  1:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/4/2010  1:06 PM
http://diehardknicks.blogspot.com/2010/11/give-shawne-free.html

Nov. 16th blog

Give Shawne Free

Anybody know who Shawne Williams is? Most only know what's written or said about the kid from the past. He's a typical guy from the inner city. It cracks me up to type that because that's where I'm from. I also played basketball and I know what you can get into playing especially at a high level. You're popular. Everyone wants to be around you. Everyone wants to see you destroy your next defender on the basketball court. You're going to attract the wrong attention. What's not really analyzed is the fact that you more than likely will grow up with kids that will walk that fine line between good and not so good. Some will turn out downright bad! I've never been arrested. I know guys that have been. I've never been stabbed, shot, or sold a drug in my life. I do know guys that have and still are doing those things (allegedly :/). Point being, these are my friends. You have a choice to follow or lead. Some cases you might not have much of a option depending how harsh your circumstances are. Now I don't know Shawne Williams personally. I'm just painting a picture for you through my own experience. Shawne Williams has never done jail time, but he's known to have kept some grimy company. He's had a couple of brushes with the law and his door was almost closed altogether because of this. How do you cut off childhood friends when you are basically still a child.

The problem is the dude became a public figure as soon as he was drafted into the NBA. He was only 20 years old. How many people can hold down a part time job at McDonalds at 20 years old while going to school? How many have the attention span to stay focused at a full-time job at that age? People do it but these are the impressionable years where you are trying to figure out this space we call life. What are you doing? Where are you going? Why am I doing this? Why am I still friends with this person? Why won't she add me on BBM? Who's this guy commenting on my girls facebook page? While this is happening, imagine making a million dollars a year with nothing but free time, basketball, a camera and a microphone in your face? What happens when you go out with your boys from the "inner city" that you grew up with who you love like brothers and you run into a heated situation with another group that aren't too happy to see you blowing money and getting all the girls?

No excuses for this guy. Alot of you that read or probably skimmed through that first paragraph don't want to hear about that. These guys at face value have been giving a silver spoon and in some cases totally screwed up their opportunity at making millions playing a game most of us play for fun. This perspective is also fair. At the same time, people are allowed to evolve. You are not human if you don't. We have environmental issues, and family issues to break free from so you can figure out how you want to leave your life in your own space. Some never realize they have that choice and never evolve. Shawne Williams is 26 years old now. He'll be 27 in February. He's seen the street. He's seen the red carpet. He also knows what it's like to stand outside looking in, hoping someone will notice him and let him in the backdoor. Donnie Walsh was in Indiana when his nba journey began. Donnie, now with the Knicks, has given the man a second shot at redemption.

I think of Shawne Williams as that infected soldier that was chained up in the backyard of the movie "28 days Later". The dude has got to be hungry. The media is ignoring him and to his credit, he is keeping himself out of their columns with off the court nonsense. The Knicks aren't winning right now. Team captain and face of the team Amar'e Stoudamire is calling his team basically a bunch of pansies. Shawne Williams is no pansy. Only evidence we have of this in a Knick uniform is his brief showing in the pre-season. He was very active and was a tough cover in limited minutes. He was good enough to beat out fan favorite Patrick Ewing Jr. I personally think Shawne Williams can contribute to the Knicks in the 8 man rotation. If I were to compare Shawne to anyone in the league, it would be Stephen Jackson. Jackson had his share of retardation in his career but I think we all are in agreement when I say Stephen Jackson is a warrior on the basketball court. Their games are eerily similar, especially early on in Stephen's career. With that said, why not give this kid a shot at playing. The Knicks that are already on the court aren't doing the job. It's not like he's going to kill anyone's minutes. Timofey Mosgov's minutes need to be eliminated all together. Anthony Randolph probably needs more minutes. When Ronnie Turiaf get back healthy, he's going to be a lock to play. Wilson is also a lock to finish most games with 30 plus minutes. There are the dinky little minutes that Roger Mason and Bill Walker have been getting. Shawne Williams could slide into that slot. Shawne is more of forward but he can surely play shooting guard at times. The Knicks have nothing to lose at this point. The Knicks are desperate. Shawne Williams is sitting on a 1 year contract with no guarantee he'll ever be asked back on any NBA roster in the future. I'd take my chances with this guy. He's got more to lose and his focus should be at an all-time high. Amar'e wants his players to play with urgency. D'antoni has got to see Shawne Williams tail wagging at the end of his bench. Give that dog a bone.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
tj23
Member: #3119

12/4/2010  4:46 PM
Smart offensive player, unselfish, good shot. Confused on the other end of the court though.
loweyecue
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #1037

12/4/2010  6:08 PM
TheSage wrote:
misterearl wrote:TheSage - you funny

The Knicks win a big road game with a contribution from an afterthought that only Donnie Walsh was willing to invest, and the best you can add is "calm down"?

No

it's knicks basketball being played with with more substance and style than we have seen in years

We refuse to calm down

we stand and cheer a David Lee having a breakout game

We stand and cheer Shawne Williams reviving his careeer with 13 bonus points

Not saying calm down about the Knicks but calm dowm about a guy who scored 2 points all season until last night. He may have a place here but one night and 13 points do not make an all star season.

Why does rooting for a player on your team to play well equate to a all star season?

TKF on Melo ::....he is a punk, a jerk, a self absorbed out of shape, self aggrandizing, unprofessional, volume chucking coach killing playoff loser!!
Paladin55
Member: #2098

12/4/2010  7:48 PM
tj23 wrote:Smart offensive player, unselfish, good shot. Confused on the other end of the court though.

I isolated in on him in the first game he played, and he seemed to drift a lot on D. I thought he looked much better in the Hornets' game. Perhaps the big thing is that he seemed willing to do what he had to do...took a charge, got a steal and a block and attempted to block other shots.

He is someone to observe, and if he has grown character-wise, he might be a nice find.

No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities- C.N. Bovee
TheSage
Member: #386
12/4/2010  8:05 PM
loweyecue wrote:
TheSage wrote:

The Knicks win a big road game with a contribution from an afterthought that only Donnie Walsh was willing to invest, and the best you can add is "calm down"?

No

it's knicks basketball being played with with more substance and style than we have seen in years

We refuse to calm down

Not saying calm down about the Knicks but calm dowm about a guy who scored 2 points all season until last night. He may have a place here but one night and 13 points do not make an all star season.

Why does rooting for a player on your team to play well equate to a all star season?

Who's not rooting for him but read the posts, it sounds like we should put him on the all star level after one double digit scoring game (after 2 points the previous 4 games he played). Give him a chance to prove he deserves PT, hope he succeeds but read the posts-they make him sound like he the answer to getting into and past the first round.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
12/4/2010  9:36 PM
TheSage wrote:
loweyecue wrote:
TheSage wrote:

No

We refuse to calm down

Who's not rooting for him but read the posts, it sounds like we should put him on the all star level after one double digit scoring game (after 2 points the previous 4 games he played). Give him a chance to prove he deserves PT, hope he succeeds but read the posts-they make him sound like he the answer to getting into and past the first round.

I agree, and the way some of you are against bill walker all of a sudden. bill walker came in and did the same thing he did and was able to stay in the rotation..

you already know how MDA is, he will throw you out there and if you do well, he'll run with you until you start f** up..He's gonna yanked anybody who's not helping the situation..

ES
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
12/5/2010  12:42 AM

"I'm not going to say I'm in a better place because it could have been better, but I can say I wouldn't trade this space where I'm at now for nothing in the world," Williams said. "I'm playing ball, I love what I'm doing and I'm with a good group of guys."

"it sounds like we should put him on the all star level after one double digit scoring game"

TheSage - No, it does not "sound like" anyone has suggested Williams is on an "All Star level" (your words sage) unless you insist on superimposing an arbitrary meaning on a random adjective of encouragement and support.

Of course, it is a plain as the freckles on your face that no player was ever selected to the All Star game on a single performance. That is not news.

What is news, however, is not just one (Landry Fields), but TWO (Shawne Williams?), Cracker Jack prizes inside of one Knicks roster box score.

This NYK season is more fun than we fans have had in a long while. The plot twists are nearly as good as an episode of Law And Order with Detective Lenny Briscoe.

once a knick always a knick
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/5/2010  12:49 AM
R.I.P. Lenny I think what has some excited is the prospect of adding another good young player to the rotation. He has a nice all around game. I like only one thing that Walker has done and that is that he's been a fairly consistent 3pt shooter. Outside of that he's been annoying as heck. He just doesn't give any effort. He has so much more to offer than he does on a nightly basis. He also looks like he put back every pound he lost this summer, which alarms me. He's like a mini Eddy.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/5/2010  2:54 AM
VDesai wrote:I dont think there's a lot to wonder about why he wasn't signed- Williams' work ethic and attitude was bad at all of his stops and therefore his game was inconsistent to bordlerine. He has his head on straight right now (at least temporarily) so maybe he can play some ball. But his history suggests he's the kind of guy who won't live up to his potential. You never know at this point.

I always thought Qyntel Woods played pretty well for us and he was a similar guy.

Qyntel Woods is a good comparison... i liked how he played too, it's too bad it didn't work out for him in the NBA... hopefully Williams has his head on straight now & wants to work, cuz he's obviously got some game.

After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
12/5/2010  7:45 AM
TMS wrote:
VDesai wrote:I dont think there's a lot to wonder about why he wasn't signed- Williams' work ethic and attitude was bad at all of his stops and therefore his game was inconsistent to bordlerine. He has his head on straight right now (at least temporarily) so maybe he can play some ball. But his history suggests he's the kind of guy who won't live up to his potential. You never know at this point.

Qyntel Woods is a good comparison... i liked how he played too, it's too bad it didn't work out for him in the NBA... hopefully Williams has his head on straight now & wants to work, cuz he's obviously got some game.

Yeah, the Qyntel comparison is just in more than one way. I was always amazed at him on offense and wondered why we didn't bring him back. Trust in Mike that Qyntel would never see the light of the court. That said, Williams seeing court time means he doesn't have Qyntels' problems. That is great news going forward.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
12/5/2010  8:01 AM
He was awesome last game but his career numbers are pretty bad--inefficient even given the minutes he'd gotten. What was he doing last year? I see he didn't play any NBA games.
can Shawne Williams get some love?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy