[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Amar'e and TD saying and doing the right things
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
9/2/2010  10:25 AM
I just read some interviews with Amar'e and TD that really give me even more of a lift and anticipation for this coming season.
http://www.knicksfanaticsblog.com/2010-articles/september/stoudemire-wanted-security-and-is-ready-to-lead-the-young-guys-by-example.html

Amar'e had some very interesting things to say yesterday, to Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic, while he was playing ball at US Airways Arena, his old haunt.

On the contract offer from the Suns which required him to play an average of 28 minutes in his last two years:

"It was fair from Robert's standpoint. I understand his concerns, which were injuries and health. There are no hard feelings at all. From a security standpoint for myself and with as much work as I put in on the court, I was after a greater goal. It was a fair offer from his standpoint. We still talk and have a good friendship. The greater goal was to have a sense of security. I didn't want a football deal (with some or all of the money non-guaranteed). I want a NBA deal. That's what I ended up getting."

On rebuilding in New York:

"My goal is to do what I did here in Phoenix - to rebuild. "The year we traded Stephon (Marbury), Penny (Hardaway) and Googs (Tom Gugliotta), the next year we rebuilt. The question ownership asked to me was, 'Who do I want - Jason Kidd, Steve Nash or Kobe Bryant?' I said Steve. Over Kobe. At the time, Kobe had a reputation for being selfish and Steve was the ultimate point guard. I felt like that's what we needed. We had Joe Johnson and Shawn Marion. We just didn't have a PG to control tempo. Kidd was banged up after microfracture (knee surgery).

"I was pretty good for the three years before we got Steve. We're going to be OK. These young guys are not quite used to working hard. We're going to get them over the hump. We can be as good as we want to be. In order to be a great leader, you must follow first. I've been able to follow Steve, Grant Hill, Shaquille O'Neal and Penny. Now I feel it's time for me to lead these young guys to success."

On playing defense and playing with D'Antoni again:

"It definitely changed. We communicate more. I'm more mature than I was at 22 or 23. Studying defense over the past couple years helped, and I'm a better defensive player. He's committed to it, but the main thing is for us as players to commit to it."]

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/douglas_sees_knicks_making_playoffs_K2Sdfp95mo01IxA1bKTzUJ?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=
Toney Douglas only could laugh when two of the first three questions from young kids at a Knicks youth camp in the Hamptons were on his thoughts on LeBron James choosing Miami over the Knicks.
Douglas said he only can control what he can control. What he should have said is he can't wait to meet James in the playoffs. Because Douglas, the Knicks' backup point guard, said he thinks his team is going to break its six-year playoff drought.
"Definitely," Douglas told The Post yesterday at Hayground School in Bridgehampton. "I feel like we have a lot of talent. We just all have to be on one page and make sure everybody is totally on it. I feel we are a playoff team."

The coaching staff will tell you nobody has worked harder than Douglas this offseason. The second-year Florida State product has done two-a-days at their Westchester compound since the beginning of May -- save for a two-week break in July.
Douglas, the Knicks' most tenacious defender, said one of the reasons he has worked so hard is he wants to be a leader this season. There were none during last season's 29-53 campaign.
"I had an OK rookie year, but this year I want to be more vocal and be one of the leaders on the court," Douglas said. "At the same time, you can't be a leader if you don't hold up your end of the bargain. If people are slacking, I'll tell them. If I'm slacking, I want them to tell me."
Douglas is now working out with Danilo Gallinari, who spent almost all of the offseason in Italy, Wilson Chandler, Amar'e Stoudemire, Anthony Randolph and Rony Turiaf.
According to Douglas, newcomer Kelanna Azubuike is not yet working at Westchester and still is doing offcourt rehab after missing most of last season with a torn tendon in his left knee. It's looking more doubtful the shooting guard will be 100 percent when training camp opens on Sept. 25.
After Labor Day, Douglas said he expects to be joined by more teammates so they can begin scrimmaging.
"We're just building relationships now," Douglas said. "It's almost a totally new team. I've been working on the pick and roll with Amar'e. So there'll be a better bond when training camp starts."
The free-agent signing of Roger Mason did not upset Douglas, though Mason is very similar as a combo guard and could steal minutes. If anything, Mason's addition gives the Knicks more depth if they have to put Douglas in a package for Carmelo Anthony, Tony Parker or Chris Paul.
"I wasn't surprised," Douglas said. "I'm just getting ready get this whole summer with two a days, so I'm going to be ready."

AUTOADVERT
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
9/2/2010  10:35 AM
Show me on the court.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/2/2010  10:38 AM
Felton needs to be at MSG working out with the guys. He is key.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
9/2/2010  10:44 AM
martin wrote:Felton needs to be at MSG working out with the guys. He is key.

Yeah, I agree. Where is Felton? He needs to be working on the P&R with Amare as much as Douglas is.

Trust the Process
Olbrannon
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2919
USA
9/2/2010  11:09 AM

I dunno if him being 'given' the PG spot is the best thing. Motivation
for him is not as strong. TD is still hungry...obviously. He better bring
it he wants to keep the job IMO

Bill Simmons on Tyreke Evans "The prototypical 0-guard: Someone who handles the ball all the time, looks for his own shot, gets to the rim at will and operates best if his teammates spread the floor to watch him."
martin
USA
9/2/2010  11:16 AM
Olbrannon wrote:

I dunno if him being 'given' the PG spot is the best thing. Motivation
for him is not as strong. TD is still hungry...obviously. He better bring
it he wants to keep the job IMO

i donno. I guess you can say that about any player.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/2/2010  11:41 AM

Amare's comments about Sarver was handled great. Very mature. I like that he takes ownership of things not so flattering to himself. Very professional!

Not worried about Felton. As long as he is playing somewhere. He needs to be there when Amare is there.

martin
USA
9/2/2010  11:45 AM
Nalod wrote:
Amare's comments about Sarver was handled great. Very mature. I like that he takes ownership of things not so flattering to himself. Very professional!

Not worried about Felton. As long as he is playing somewhere. He needs to be there when Amare is there.

I've been impressed with many of Amare's responses to media. And the more I hear the more I think he'll fit into the NY atmosphere.

martin
USA
9/2/2010  12:08 PM
still love this vid:

Panos
9/2/2010  12:21 PM
Its awesome. Well put together!
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/2/2010  12:27 PM
Panos wrote:Show me on the court.

They have to play games first. Training camp starts Sept 20 something. The quotes coming in from now till then as guys come in will be key. I wanna hear these guys talking with confidence now....during training camp I want that confidence to turn downright anxious to show teams what they can do

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/2/2010  12:56 PM
martin wrote:
Nalod wrote:

I've been impressed with many of Amare's responses to media. And the more I hear the more I think he'll fit into the NY atmosphere.

Imagine if Marbury found out he had Jewish ties how his life might have been different?

"They got Schpilka's"
"We got Kinderer!"
"I can see the schmootz in you mouth"!

StoudamireStein is a pro!

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
9/2/2010  1:46 PM
God what a breath of fresh air.

I actually think Douglas is going to be a pretty big player for us. He's got great physical tools. He's got a long wingspan and he measured as one of the quickest and fastest (check draftexpress agility + 3/4 court sprint) players ever tested at the NBA combine. He's an absolute pitbull on defense and we know he can shoot it and score in a variety of ways. He may not be a true PG in the floor general sense but he can take care of the ball as well as anyone in the league.

I fully expect him to be the 6th man for this team, (maybe 6th man of the year). The coach already knows and likes him as he wowed MDA last year. He's a gym rat and super dedicated. He's an old school Knick is what he is. I think he's a big part of the rotation next year.

Guys like Tony Douglas look great when they play with real talent like we have now.

I have him slated as back up PG (10-12 minutes) and 12-15 as an offguard either as the 2 or in 3 guard sets.

I'm very excited about this rotation as I think these pieces fit very well together, especially defensively.

Despite all the guys we have signed I would start with a base 7 man rotation and make the 8th or 9th guys really fight their way on for minutes.

PG Felton
SG Chandler
SF Gallo
PF Amare
C whoever wins the spot . Mosgov or Turiaf. This is a 18-24mpg spot
bench: Douglas, Randolph

When Azu is healthy he should definatly get a chance to challenge for minutes. He's the most talented of guard on the roster imo. But if Fields, Rautins, Douglas, PEjr, Mason, Walker (am I missing anyone?) are going to get minutes they are going to have to flat out be better on both sides of the ball then the guys ahead of them.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
USA
9/2/2010  2:02 PM

I agree, but actually guys like TD, Amar'e, Gallo etc. HAVE been showing in on the court. We lost because of the other guys that DIDN't show it on the court. This was a good thing to see the hunger and intensity of the guys that have already been working hard. We've read and seen that Chandler supposedly has a new body, having worked out hard. Gallo is here working out!!! Remember some where concerned about that. Guys are working on the PnR, which is a huge key to our success going forward. That has to be a great sign. I'm sure Amar'e is teaching TD a ton about how to best deliver him the ball.

Felton actually already knows Amar'e and i'm sure they have plans to work like crazy together. Once everyone comes together for scrimmages, I expect Felton will be there to get acquainted with his new teammates. I really LOVE the mental makeup of the player Donnie has brought in. These are NY type of players. Confident and unafraid. You can't be timid and play here.

martin
USA
9/2/2010  2:34 PM
nixluva wrote:

I agree, but actually guys like TD, Amar'e, Gallo etc. HAVE been showing in on the court. We lost because of the other guys that DIDN't show it on the court. This was a good thing to see the hunger and intensity of the guys that have already been working hard. We've read and seen that Chandler supposedly has a new body, having worked out hard. Gallo is here working out!!! Remember some where concerned about that. Guys are working on the PnR, which is a huge key to our success going forward. That has to be a great sign. I'm sure Amar'e is teaching TD a ton about how to best deliver him the ball.

Felton actually already knows Amar'e and i'm sure they have plans to work like crazy together. Once everyone comes together for scrimmages, I expect Felton will be there to get acquainted with his new teammates. I really LOVE the mental makeup of the player Donnie has brought in. These are NY type of players. Confident and unafraid. You can't be timid and play here.

why?

nixluva
USA
9/2/2010  2:37 PM
martin wrote:
nixluva wrote:

why?

Of course i'm speaking of on court aggression, not being shy vocally. I think the city responds to players that go for it and not guys that seem to shrink back. Starks comes to mind, Oakley, Mason, Spreewell, even Nate. Guys that grab the game by the throat. NY fans love that. If you play like Charles Smith or TT it's not a good place to be. Amar'e is a perfect fit in that sense.
Panos
9/2/2010  5:47 PM
nixluva wrote:

Look nix, I'm glad as you are that these guys are putting forward a good effort instead of the crap we had to deal with with Marbury. But we've heard this kind of stuff before with Q and Nate and Eddy and Jeffries (remember he was supposed to have learned how to shoot?). But until I see it, its all just fluff. I'm thrilled tho that TD is putting in his effort with 2 a days, like a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE THAT GETS PAID 7 FIGURES SHOULD DO.

But what drives me to be so hard on you are your statements like "i'm sure they have plans to work like crazy together." What exactly does that mean? You're sure? Did you read it somewhere? Have insider knowledge? Its these statements of complete surety about something which you know absolutely nothing about the intentions of these guys. I just don't understand why you put forward this constant barrage of propaganda and spin. Its mind numbing.

martin
USA
9/2/2010  6:12 PM
Panos wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Look nix, I'm glad as you are that these guys are putting forward a good effort instead of the crap we had to deal with with Marbury. But we've heard this kind of stuff before with Q and Nate and Eddy and Jeffries (remember he was supposed to have learned how to shoot?). But until I see it, its all just fluff. I'm thrilled tho that TD is putting in his effort with 2 a days, like a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE THAT GETS PAID 7 FIGURES SHOULD DO.

But what drives me to be so hard on you are your statements like "i'm sure they have plans to work like crazy together." What exactly does that mean? You're sure? Did you read it somewhere? Have insider knowledge? Its these statements of complete surety about something which you know absolutely nothing about the intentions of these guys. I just don't understand why you put forward this constant barrage of propaganda and spin. Its mind numbing.

I think you just put Eddy, Nate, Q, Jefferies into the same category as Amare, Gallo, Douglas. One group has talent, the other does not.

knicks1248
Member: #582
9/2/2010  6:36 PM
martin wrote:
Panos wrote:
nixluva wrote:

I think you just put Eddy, Nate, Q, Jefferies into the same category as Amare, Gallo, Douglas. One group has talent, the other does not.

Eddy was suppose to be on his way, nate is a super talented kid, just not a smart player, Q was once a marks men, and JJ was as versatile as it gets, problem is, or was, the coach didn't give a shhht and the players followed suite

PANOS...I agree with you, i have been reading statements like that from players all over the league, for ever..

ES
Olbrannon
Member: #2919
USA
9/2/2010  7:15 PM
martin wrote:still love this vid:

Nicely done. I can imagine it now.

Bill Simmons on Tyreke Evans "The prototypical 0-guard: Someone who handles the ball all the time, looks for his own shot, gets to the rim at will and operates best if his teammates spread the floor to watch him."
Amar'e and TD saying and doing the right things

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy