[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Net fans moving to Brooklyn ?

Author Poll
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
If Nets get approval to move to Brooklyn, what does that do for Knick fans living in Brooklyn By Steve Zipay Staff Writer January 16, 2004 Developer Bruce Ratner's $300-million bid for the Nets has put him in a commanding position to acquire the team and eventually move it to Brooklyn, but New Jersey investors still have a chance to keep the team there, people close to the sale process said yesterday. They will have to move quickly, however. One top executive involved in the sale process since the outset said a winning bidder for the NBA franchise could be chosen in days, in a week, "but not in a month." Ratner has pinned his hopes for a $2.5-billion residential and office complex in Downtown Brooklyn on landing the Eastern Division champs. Across the Hudson, rivals Charles Kushner and Sen. Jon Corzine (D-N.J.) would purchase the Nets, spruce up Continental Airlines Arena and avoid the political repercussions of letting a symbol of state pride slip away. Wednesday night, Brooklyn officials were bubbly, proclaiming that negotiations on an agreement to purchase the team were nearing a climax. Yesterday, the executive tempered that optimism somewhat. "It's a typical ploy in all these types of negotiations: claim victory and scare the other people away," he said. "Is Ratner in the lead? Yes. Is any contract signed? No. It's quite complicated." Goldman Sachs & Co. and Lehman Brothers are handling the sale and continue to negotiate with both groups for the best price and terms that NBA owners will approve. The Kushner-Corzine group initially bid $250 million, then raised its offer to $267.5 million. "We're speaking to the investment bankers and expect the process to conclude by the end of January," Michael Turner, a spokesman for Kushner, said yesterday. "We are reviewing all the financial information and completing due diligence to see if an adjustment in price is warranted." The Nets owners, including principals Lewis Katz and Raymond Chambers, apparently agree a sale is necessary to avoid borrowing more money to meet expenses and debt obligations. Some owners want to sell to Ratner, while others prefer the New Jersey group. For Ratner's vision of a $435-million arena at the heart of a 21-acre complex at Flatbush and Atlantic avenues to succeed, he will need support from the city and the state, as well as the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which controls the air rights above part of the proposed site. Yesterday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said a Brooklyn Nets deal is "probably one of the biggest things that could possibly happen to this city." "This would transform a whole part of this city and would be an enormous contribution down the road to the quality of life and the number of jobs and the number of housing units," he said. "... You cannot overstate the value of this kind of thing." Not everyone in Brooklyn is happy about the prospect of a new neighbor, however. Ratner faces community opposition and a potentially damaging short-term revenue problem: selling tickets to watch a lame-duck team in New Jersey before the move could occur. The Nets' home attendance is already among the lowest in the league, its lease runs until 2008 and the proposed arena would take several years to build.
Absolutely nada, once orange&blue you never look back
BK fans unite, old timers unite to the theme "subway series"
Knick fans remind Nets: Why do you think we got Starbury and Lenny
None of the above, Martin can you please lock this post
View Results

Author Thread
Bobby
Alba Posts: 0
USA
1/22/2004  7:10 PM
This is a major move for New York Basketball in that fans tired of the Knicks will crossover to Brooklyn.

The implications is truly mind boggling. I'm figuring Brooklynite loyalist will savor the move and form a fan base to challenge the mythical Mecca. Brooklyn fans are stone cold supporters, I still have Bum fans telling me how much they hate the Yankees

For starters, don’t be surprise if the GM turns out to be one of BK's most prized possession in all of Basketball.......that's right, you know who. And if James turns out to be all of what he is suppose to be, BK is the most likely market to start the second coming of you know who.

I could see this going jugular. Right now, Knicks have a good start with Isiah, Starbury, and KVH. And Lenny will have to prove he can turn this team around. You could bet that BK is going to match anything the Garden has to offer.

Knick fans will love the rivalry....I'm thinking, WOW, can't wait to see the more creative

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
AUTOADVERT
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

1/23/2004  6:47 AM
Hey bobby can't wait to see the movie. LOL

This is playa
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Bobby
USA
1/23/2004  8:32 PM
New Nets owner throws Brooklyn coming-out party

By LARRY McSHANE, Associated Press Writer
January 23, 2004

Brooklyn developer intent on moving them across the Hudson River -- a move immediately hailed in New York for returning big-time sports to the borough.

Duke Snider, meet Jason Kidd.

``It's taken 47 years, but today we can finally say we've corrected the great mistake of '57,'' said Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz, referring to the Dodgers' defection to California.

New owner Bruce Ratner was joined at a gala news conference by an assortment of politicians, Brooklyn-born ex-Knicks star Bernard King, and rapper Jay-Z, a fellow investor. At King's invitation, all donned ``Brooklyn Nets'' jerseys.

``It's a great day for all of us,'' said Ratner in his first public comments since the sale was announced Wednesday. ``It's a great day for Brooklyn.''

Ratner spoke shortly after the Nets' former owners, YankeeNets, voted in a teleconference to approve the deal. The rest of the NBA owners must approve the deal as well.

NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik, at the Nets-Heat game Friday night in Miami, said the possibility of a team in Brookyln was interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

``There certainly isn't any predisposition against it. Obviously we don't like to see teams moving around a lot, but on the other hand this is a move within the same territory. In those cases franchises are usually given a fair amount of latitude,'' he said.

While best known as the spurned home of baseball's Dodgers, Brooklyn has produced a fair number of basketball stars: coaches Lenny Wilkens of the New York Knicks and Larry Brown of the Detroit Pistons, current Knicks guard Stephon Marbury, and ex-NBA greats Chris Mullin and Billy Cunningham.

But lurking behind the celebration were threats from neighborhood groups regarding the construction of the proposed arena. Ratner estimates about 150 homes would be affected, although neighbors fear the number will be closer to 1,000.

``Until meaningful discussions with the community are granted, we cannot wholeheartedly support this proposition,'' said the Rev. Herbert Daughtry, a veteran activist whose church sits two blocks from the proposed site. ``We know that all that glitters is not gold.'

Ratner promised that he would involve local residents as the $2.5 billion project, with its 19,000-seat area, moves toward completion.

``It is about the community, and listening to the community, and involving the community,'' Ratner said.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the project would generate an estimated $400 million in annual economic activity, and create 10,000 new jobs during its construction. The project would also include 4,500 units of residential housing and 2.1 million square feet of commercial office space.

Work on the arena would begin next year and finish in time for the 2006 NBA season, leaving the lame duck Nets to play the next two seasons in New Jersey.

The presence of Bloomberg and Gov. George Pataki signaled city and state support for the Frank Gehry-designed arena. Ratner needs approval from both for infrastructure changes, tax breaks and condemnations of neighboring homes that could end up costing hundreds of millions of dollars.

But such roadblocks took a backseat to the announcement that the sale had gone through, and the first hurdle to relocating the Nets had been cleared.

``Its a proud day for Brooklyn,'' said Jay-Z. ``I never got a chance to experience the Dodgers. This is the new Dodgers -- the Nets.''

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Bobby
USA
1/23/2004  8:37 PM
And they thought I was wack comparing Bernard King with Starbury

[Edited by - Bobby on 01/23/2004 21:15:51]
Bobby
USA
1/25/2004  5:53 PM
the other side of the coin

Group Protests Nets' Sale Outside Arena

TOM CANAVAN
Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD N.J. - Some 30 people protested the proposed sale and move of the New Jersey Nets to Brooklyn, N.Y., on Sunday outside the team's home arena.

The protest came two days after the Nets' current owners agreed to sell the franchise to Brooklyn developer Bruce Ratner for $300 million.

"Until they tell me this is not going to go through, that's how long I'll be out here," said Mike Kozlowski of Waldwick, who helped organize the demonstration at the Nets' first home game since the sale was announced. "Anybody who is willing to keep the Nets in New Jersey is my friend."

Kozlowski hung a banner that said "Keep the Nets in New Jersey" on a fence around the outside of the arena. He also had posters for distribution, including "Brooklyn Fuhgettaboudit" and another with "Brooklyn" inside a circle with a line scored through it.

Inside the arena, there was no discernible negative reaction from the near-sellout crowd when the Nets were introduced. There also were no banners or signs, because security members confiscated them as people entered the building.

The Nets can't move until Ratner builds an arena in Brooklyn, and many protesters hope he runs into the same problems that the current Nets ownership encountered in trying to build an arena in Newark.

Chris Suswal, a former New Jersey native now living in Brooklyn, called the plan to move the team to Brooklyn ridiculous.

"Like many of the residents of Brooklyn, we want Brooklyn to be as it is, Brooklyn," Suswal said. "We don't want people's homes demolished. We don't want a multiconglomerate $2.5 billion complex to come in. That's not what Brooklyn is about. It's about a neighborhood, a community."

Swishfm3
Member: #392
1/28/2004  8:01 PM
man...you're like the copy and paste master....

thanks for the info anyway
Bobby
USA
1/28/2004  8:14 PM
You know what this does for New York Basketball.....SPEAK!!!!

Where you been????
Swishfm3
Member: #392
1/29/2004  10:17 PM
Posted by Bobby:

You know what this does for New York Basketball.....SPEAK!!!!

absolutely nothing. NY Basketball fans will not accept this team has it's own, IMO. They will be forever known as the step child of New York City....that child we adopted cuz noone else wanted it.

A few Brooklyn cats may jump on the bandwagon..but that's about it
Posted by Bobby:

Where you been????

I spend the majority of my time posting on Nec's site. I come here every once in a while just and lurk.

Nec has done a good job with his site......you should check it out. very impressive.
Bobby
USA
1/29/2004  10:43 PM
look here swish, broolyn will be lookin' to challenge the mecca for bragging rights. if the nets moved to long island, then yeah, i would agree, things on the island are a little relaxed similar to meadowlands.....BK is whole different arena dawg
Net fans moving to Brooklyn ?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy