Insider: Spree Latrell?
Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
10/29/2001  8:48 AM
This from Chad Ford of Insider:

Has Latrell Sprewell finally had it with the Knicks? It's definitely starting to sound that way. Spree, who has complained all summer at the job GM Scott Layden was doing, may ask for a trade soon, a source close to Sprewell told Insider last week.

According to the source, Spree plans to become increasingly vocal about the Knicks in an effort to spur action in the front office. He's been pushing Layden to get a legitimate big man to balance the Knicks' strong backcourt. But a series of offseason moves only produced Shandon Anderson, Howard Eisley and Clarence Weatherspoon -- none of whom qualify. The Knicks' inability to find a way to land his buddy and top free agent Chris Webber only added to his angst.

With yet another injury to the Knicks' only legitimate big man, Marcus Camby, Spree has had enough. His upcoming message to the front office: Either improve the team or trade me.

"He's sick of losing and he's really worried about the direction of the team," said the source. "If the Knicks can't prove to him that they're willing to do what it takes to compete for a championship, Spree wants the chance to play for a team that does."

It already looks like the war of words is increasing. When asked Sunday whether the Knicks were contenders this year, Spree was candid.

"You hope that, but we've kind of gone the other way," Sprewell told reporters. "I think that's a direct result of taking away Patrick [Ewing], taking away Larry [Johnson]. Now Marcus [Camby]'s injury makes it tougher. You need five, if not six or seven, guys who can really play to advance in the playoffs. . .You just wonder if we're going to do something. You try and stay focused on basketball and not worry about Scott Layden's job, which is to bring players in. My job is to play with the players that are here. I can't go out and really worry about what he has to do or what is going to happen to change the makeup of the team. I can be the guy getting traded."

Spree's eroding confidence in the Knicks couldn't come at a worst time. He already alienated teammate Allan Houston after the playoffs last year when he insinuated that Houston should go. Though Spree and Houston have made up, Spree's comments aren't the overwhelming pledge of support to newcomers Anderson, Eisley and Weatherspoon that the Knicks were hoping for. Whether, in the end, the Knicks would be willing to trade their most popular player is fodder for the tabloids. But ironically, it may be their only real shot at landing the big man that he craves.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
10/29/2001  10:01 AM
We all know he's right though, we were in dire straits without any lenghty help for Camby and Layden hasn't done anything to address this problem during last season and the beginning of this one. Moving up the draft or using one of the exceptions could have done the trick but this has all been executed badly. I don't think Spree actually wants to be traded but he's just trying to force the issue and get some backup from the media with this. Either the Dolans fire Layden or give Layden a final warning that something has to be done soon to get that big man. It's abit misinforming that the offseason moves regarding Spoon, Eisley and Anderson are misproductive but they always look good

IF we add a freaking center to the bunch

Just like the Rice trade didn't seem bad but it needed a second trade to make it a good one.
MCfan23
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #114
USA
10/29/2001  10:04 AM
Spree is a New York hero. Trading him would be the worst move we could make.
We suck.
MCfan23
USA
10/29/2001  10:18 AM
I don't see why it's all doom and gloom already, even before our first game.

All we need to do is get another big man. It's as simple as that! Marc Jackson, Adonal Foyle, or even Olden Polynice would do.

And then we should move Camby to his natural position (power forward) and put the new guy (whoever it may be) at center. Then we have a lineup of:

• PG: M. Jackson (although I would prefer Howard Eisely)
  • SG: A. Houston
  • SF: L. Sprewell
  • PF: M. Camby
  • True center (I would love Marc, he could be dominant in the East!)

That would be a top-3 unit in this conference. Also, we would have a much better bench (Spoon, Anderson, Thomas, Othella) than most teams in the East.

[Edited by - MCfan23 on 10/29/2001 10:36:50]
We suck.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
10/29/2001  10:19 AM
Spree is our best spokesperson with the media, the most marketable of the bunch as well and his jerseys sell the most hands down. It will cost alot if we were to trade Spree, god I hope not, but I can see it happening with Spree forcing the issue and if the Dolans backup the status quo with this ostrich policy implemented by Mr Layden. Ward, Jax, KT/Spoon and Knight are all possibilities left to be explored regarding trades with GS or chicago. Personally I think our best option for a quality big man is this trade..

GS trades Fortson, Dampier/Foyle
NYK trades KT, Ward/Jax

With this trade working when you trade Ward for Dampier and Jax for Foyle. We can't be too picky the way things are developing and this might be just a patch to keep playoff revenue coming in but this at least I can see happening with Layden and JVG running things. I would love it if the Dolans sold the NYK to someone who actually cares about long term plans and championships but Cuban is already taken..

[Edited by - knicksbabyyeah on 10/29/2001 10:32:04]
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
10/29/2001  10:26 AM
Our current problem is no backup, if we trade for just one center Camby still has to perform his duties primarily on the center position but if healthy he could do the same as Spree and shift between his natural position and the position in which he could get the most time on the floor, center. I say we trade for a big body, with Marc being slighty too hefty of a price tag tradewise I think, Dampier of Foyle and sign some relatively unknown talented backups to try and get a decent backup for the guy we traded for. Only then can we shift Camby back to the PF position. Menk Batere comes to mind,who the Nuggets cut remember. Maybe give Jake Voshkul a shot who'll probably be cut by the Bulls. It's not certain Obina "ekezenie" ,or however you write it, will keep his roster spot eventhough he had good preseason stats. To get our roster in order there's alot of work to be done and I don't think Layden is the man to accomplish this or JVG is the man to develop these new players into "our guys". JVG has to let them play more and go maybe 11-12 deep. Play them a minute or two each game is a start right? Postell per example should be developed with more tenacity then it's the case now.

[Edited by - knicksbabyyeah on 10/29/2001 10:30:44]
Caseloads
Member: #41
10/29/2001  10:40 AM
I think all this talk by Spree has gotten too much and Spree has gotten too much power in NY and needs to just be quiet and play.

If anything, we need to trade for Marc Jax of GS and meet their price to do so (yes, we can take on bobby sura's contract) and give up Knight+Eisley+draft picks (we don't use 'em, or just pick 2nd rounders and cut 'em).
MCfan23
USA
10/29/2001  10:45 AM
Yeah, if we could get 2 decent centers that would be even better!

But I think that having a guy like Foyle/Jackson starting at center, with Camby playing power forward, and backup center would be great. And if Kurt is part of the trade to get a center (or two), that would mean sufficient minutes for Spoon and Harrington as well.
We suck.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
10/29/2001  10:51 AM
That's the general idea, use KT/Spoon/Othella to sweeten the trade while trading jax/ward for a center. Furthermore there won't be any PF's playing backup center, not even with JVG coaching.

I for one am actually pleased with how Spree is handling things. We need someone on the team who agrees with the majority of the NYK fan and if this information is used wrong so be it but we need to make a u-turn into the right direction and hopefully get Marcus as PF to boot.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/29/2001  3:42 PM
We need to get Foyle for Ward. That would solve our problems for now.
prowler
Member: #135
USA
10/29/2001  5:35 PM
Hey Knixkik couldnt agree with u more. It is good to see that someone is thinkin along the same line as i am. (ward for foyle) Foyle is better than alot of people think although i would rather have marc jackson. But our present situation with Marcus we need to do it like yesterday get Foyle in there and start working on our chemistry. Another thing like i said before Marcus' problem isnt just gonna go away do the trade, sit hime down til allstar break then take the east and the nba by storm down the stretch. Personally i dont have anything against K. Thomas but would G.S. take him in a trade ? I dont think he is a suitable Knick starting PF i would take Harrington and or Weatherspoon in the srarting line up over him. What do u think?
knicker for life
prowler
Member: #135
USA
10/29/2001  5:45 PM
oops i almost forgot i luv spree he is everthing the knicks as i know it stand for. remember the heart and the fire of :

Starks
LJ
Pat
Harper
Doc Rivers
Oakley
Mase
Frazier
Reed

He ranks right up there.
knicker for life
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
10/29/2001  6:01 PM
Don't you dare forgetting to mention Bernard King, or even Earl the Pearl.

Anyways Spree is starting to become a Knick for life but he's not there yet.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
10/29/2001  7:03 PM
Damn I'd really hate to see Spree get traded. I agree that we are just one move away from being championship contenders (Eisley or Ward for one of GSW's centers) but geez the season hasn't even started so why is Spree complaining already??? All we need to do is get in the Playoffs and get all our players healthy for that time cuz let's not forget this team went to the 99' Finals, thye are capable of anything!
Caseloads
Member: #41
10/29/2001  9:31 PM
Posted by VG:

Damn I'd really hate to see Spree get traded. I agree that we are just one move away from being championship contenders (Eisley or Ward for one of GSW's centers) but geez the season hasn't even started so why is Spree complaining already??? All we need to do is get in the Playoffs and get all our players healthy for that time cuz let's not forget this team went to the 99' Finals, thye are capable of anything!
I'm telling you guys - the deal is Eisley and Harrington/Knight for Marc Jax and Bobby Sura - wait until December - when Jax can be traded. Foyle is not coming over here at all. Trust me. Neither is Damp, if the guy is actually healthy.
Insider: Spree Latrell?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy