[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Was JVG intrumental in Starbury coming to NY
Author Thread
Bobby
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #408
USA
1/5/2004  10:50 PM
The year before JVG quit, I believe JVG attended a game in the medowlands. Asked about Steph's performance, JVG made comment to the good tasting popcorn instead. What I found surprising was not a single rumour of Steph being traded was mentioned. Almost as if it was some close door secret.
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/5/2004  10:54 PM
I think what we are finding is a quick trigger finger by Isiah.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bobby
USA
1/5/2004  11:58 PM
I guess one's evaluation process may differ. I do welcome the sense of ugency Zeke brings to New York.
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
1/6/2004  12:03 AM
Now he needs to pull off a trade for a front court player with a similar skill level, who is also under 30.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
1/6/2004  12:14 AM
he was'nt lying when he said all trade talks are nobody's business but mine. that's two out of nowhere. props zeke.
Bobby
USA
6/27/2004  8:34 PM
looks like layden was up to something as I stated when the trade broke last year

Two NBA executives claim that Layden was working on a trade for Marbury two weeks before his successor, Isiah Thomas, pulled the trigger on a deal that will always be remembered as Thomas' signature transaction

Further reading at:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/206611p-178283c.html
timmyTtop
Member: #680
6/27/2004  8:58 PM
Posted by Bobby:

The year before JVG quit, I believe JVG attended a game in the medowlands. Asked about Steph's performance, JVG made comment to the good tasting popcorn instead. What I found surprising was not a single rumour of Steph being traded was mentioned. Almost as if it was some close door secret.

i have a feelign somethinglike that will happen this summer
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/27/2004  10:48 PM
Posted by Bobby:

looks like layden was up to something as I stated when the trade broke last year

Two NBA executives claim that Layden was working on a trade for Marbury two weeks before his successor, Isiah Thomas, pulled the trigger on a deal that will always be remembered as Thomas' signature transaction

Further reading at:

that article is BS, layden could not get the deal done because his stupid azz would not take back Penny's contract and the suns said that was a must, Zeke was smart, he knew penny could play, maybe he was not the old penny but at least he was a nice player who could play 3 positions and help a team although overpaid at this point in his career, but zeke was able to shed eisley's contract in the deal which was a nice move.. Layden was holding out for the impossible, to get a 26 year old star PG you have to give and take, layden always tried these azz backwards deals that other teams would not do. I don't care what notes he left behind, layden had no chance at that deal...

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/27/2004  10:52 PM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Bobby:

Further reading at:

that article is BS, layden could not get the deal done because his stupid azz would not take back Penny's contract and the suns said that was a must, Zeke was smart, he knew penny could play, maybe he was not the old penny but at least he was a nice player who could play 3 positions and help a team although overpaid at this point in his career, but zeke was able to shed eisley's contract in the deal which was a nice move.. Layden was holding out for the impossible, to get a 26 year old star PG you have to give and take, layden always tried these azz backwards deals that other teams would not do. I don't care what notes he left behind, layden had no chance at that deal...

Faith: Believing in something that cannot be proven.

It is my belief is Dolan would not have taken Penny's contract. Once heads rolled, Dolan HAD to take Penny's contract.

Im not supoprting Laydog, but as I have said before, Laydog gets too much blame, and Isiah too much credit.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/27/2004  11:07 PM
I don't believe the b.s. about Dolan doing a trade for Marburry. this crack head was unable to do business with the GMs in this league. Even if that was the case, He was too slow, and Isiah is too fast. Bottom line is this we got Marburry, and Isiah was the one that pulled the trigger
The true Knickabocker..........
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/27/2004  11:57 PM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Bobby:

Further reading at:

Faith: Believing in something that cannot be proven.

It is my belief is Dolan would not have taken Penny's contract. Once heads rolled, Dolan HAD to take Penny's contract.

Im not supoprting Laydog, but as I have said before, Laydog gets too much blame, and Isiah too much credit.

I recall reading somewhere that Dolan had imposed a no added salary restriction on Layden....probably becuase of the team he had put together...when Zeke got here, it was open book...bottom line was Layden may have been smart enough to try to pull a trade like this, but his boss was convinced that it was a bad move because hi GM would try to pull a trade like this...Layden handcuffed himself because of his decision making...I have no sympathy for him at all...
~You can't run from who you are.~
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/28/2004  10:05 AM
in Layden's proposal, the Knicks would get Amare Stoudamire in exchange for Kurt Thomas.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/28/2004  10:58 AM
to JoeC's point- you can understand why Dolan would have said enough- after watching Eisley and Anderson and Weatherspoon underperform.
Bobby
USA
6/28/2004  8:23 PM
I read a lot of valid points of what Layden failed to do. Bottom line:
How could've Zeke scouted Starbury that fast in that short period of time to be convinced that was the trade to pull. IMO, Zeke pulled the trigger alright....except it was Layden's trigger!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/28/2004  8:32 PM
Posted by Bobby:

How could've Zeke scouted Starbury that fast in that short period of time to be convinced that was the trade to pull. IMO, Zeke pulled the trigger alright....except it was Layden's trigger!
Isiah's been an NBA coach and follows the game very closely. He probably spent much of his free time closely following all the NBA players. It's not like he came to the Knicks and had never heard of Marbury
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/28/2004  11:27 PM
Posted by Bobby:

Even if it was Layden's trigger, Layden painted himself into a corner....ok...when he first got here Layden brought in

Doleac
Weatherspoon
Othella
Eisley
Shandon (and he signed these two guys to LARGE extensions before they got here!)
He drafted
Pete Mikeal
That center that didn't even make the team
He garaunteed Vranes, a second round pick, a contract

And on top of all that he had it so at least half the GM's in the league wouldn't even talk to him....

Layden: "Hey, Mitch, yeah listen, I got a trade proposal for you..."
Kupchak: "No, Scott."
Layden: "No, really you'll be impressed with this one, I swear, it's real fair."
Kupchak: "Scott, don't make me start screening my calls."
Layden: "Mitch, just 5 mins."
Kupchak: "OK, Scott, you have 5. Don't make me regret this. I'm timing you."
Layden: "Good. Here are the principles...on your side it's Kobe. He's gonna opt out, so I hear.
Kupchak: "2 minutes, 45 seconds, Scott."
Layden: "My principles, and I can't believe I am gonna do this, my principles are Weatherspoon, Harrington, and Vranes. What do you {click} Hello? Mitch, you there? Mitch, I can't here you....
~You can't run from who you are.~
Bonn1997
USA
6/28/2004  11:41 PM
I couldn't care less if Layden had been targetting stephon; if he was targetting him, then not getting him here was just another of his many failures. If he was not targetting Steph, then he's even dumber than I thought he was
Nalod
USA
6/29/2004  9:42 AM
I doubt the suns were quite ready, and swallowing pennys deal might have been dolans resistance.

In any event, ain't it time to stop looking backwards and hating on Laydog? Its over dudes, "Ding Dong the witch is dead!"
Bonn1997
USA
6/29/2004  10:14 AM
There's no reason to stop hating Layden. He deserves it
Nalod
USA
6/29/2004  11:06 AM
He deserves it? Blame? Think he does not know that his reputation stinks? When there is nothing to write, his name gets dragged again and again in the papers.

The circumstances are what they are, and this is Isiahs team now. He has his constraints regardless of why, so the challenge is ahead of him, not behind him.

As a fan, I am looking forward. Regardless of the outcome, I apprciate the efforts of past Knicks whom tried their best with a Starphucher owner. That includes Ewing and his shortcomings, Riles and his shortcomings, Nelson for trying to do what was right, To checketts, to spreee, to Van Gundy whom grew up as an assisstant and got promoted to the big job, to Grunfeld who got squeezed by dolan, to Layden for trying to mop up a dam mess, unfortunatly made another one, and the team for honoring a promise made by Checketts to up Houstans contract. I hate the move, but they were honorable to a first class citizen.

Gm's make calculated risks to cater to a particular market place and finance considerations. Laydog may be the face, but it is long been a bad buisness model to put profits first if you want your team to win.

The knicks and Rangers, both Starphuchers, both have sucked and underacheived for a very very long time. Dolan's desire to apply quick fix's to keep ratings up is the problem. And let's hope that is changing.

Now we need flexability to obtain players whom want to play here but want to get paid.
Was JVG intrumental in Starbury coming to NY

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy