Knicks sign John Bender
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/14/2009  8:21 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:orange... have you seen Bender play of late? Practice? Train?

Bender prefers a tricycle to bicycle and definitely prefers a tricycle to a unicycle

can he lift them over his head though?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
orangeblobman
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #2539
Nauru
12/14/2009  8:33 AM
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:orange... have you seen Bender play of late? Practice? Train?

Bender prefers a tricycle to bicycle and definitely prefers a tricycle to a unicycle

can he lift them over his head though?

bender say 'i come back, maybe you no see desired results'

applying clear mind, considering he no have 'desired results' in his first 6 years, i mean, he no become star.

WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
fishmike
USA
12/14/2009  8:37 AM
so you havent seen him play, have no knowledge of his physical condition and since falling off your unicycle you now speak like a caveman.

Isnt kind of shamefull your throwing this guy a red herring after all the work he's done to try and get back into the league?

orangeblobman
Nauru
12/14/2009  8:38 AM
fishmike wrote:so you havent seen him play, have no knowledge of his physical condition and since falling off your unicycle you now speak like a caveman.

Isnt kind of shamefull your throwing this guy a red herring after all the work he's done to try and get back into the league?

hahahaha! is funny morning for fish. but no, is no shameful, i just no expect much given the situation. but if he prove me wrong, i be first to call him up, say 'congratulations bender, you did good job'.

WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

12/14/2009  8:50 AM
Looks to have bigger upside than some D-league scrub.
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
12/14/2009  9:00 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2009  9:01 AM
The Answer Man Wonders How Any Opinion Can Be Formed From A Vacuum

What I appreciate about the Bender signing is two fold. First, no one saw it coming. No one. Donnie worked him out, had contact with Bender and not one of the famed Mew York beat writers, rumor mongers or writers had a clue.

Second, Bender, is exactly the type of "character guy" that makes for a great story and bring personality to a team. He has been building schools and homes in the New Orleans area after the nightmare of Katrina. For that alone, he receives a gold star in my notebook.

Third, JB is only 28 and seven feet tall.

Four, tt takes a special kind of person and a unique tenacity to never give up on a dream. Jimmy Valvano said, "never give up" We have evidence of that and the best people can speculate is the next transaction?

Yeah, I know that's 4 things. So sue me.

orangeblob - "i just no expect much given the situation."

Given the situation that Bender has dedicated himself to an NBA comeback since the Summer, and various publications such as the New Orleans Times-Picayune recognized as much, I would suggest your negative opinion is based on the lack of information, rather than any sample of research.

"but if he prove me wrong, i be first to call him up, say 'congratulations bender, you did good job"

orangeblob - you, just like everyone else, have already been proven wrong by not including Bender in any one of your fearless forecasts or posturing predictions.

C'MON MAN!

once a knick always a knick
orangeblobman
Nauru
12/14/2009  9:18 AM
misterearl - I'm obviously a man of reason, this much has been proven in my time here. And, as a man of reason, I just see the facts in front of me and I make statement. Facts: very bad player in his youth, lose all cartilage, and cartilage doesn't grow back like on octapus. And he say himself "you no see maybe desired results", and I see his 'desired results' of 4 ppg over 6 years and 240 games played. Is all. ARRRGH COMMON NOW.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
12/14/2009  9:39 AM
orangeblobman wrote:I'm obviously a man of reason, this much has been proven in my time here.

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
12/14/2009  9:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2009  9:53 AM
orangeblobman wrote:misterearl - I'm obviously a man of reason wacko, this much has been proven in my time here.
misterearl
USA
12/14/2009  9:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2009  9:54 AM
The Answer Man Is Always Reasonable

orangeblob - "I just see the facts in front of me and I make statement"

SFX; loud cough

orangeblob - "Facts: very bad player in his youth"

Correction; Lottery pick at number 5, NBADraft.net - "he's got all kinds of potential and most likely will be an excellent NBA player."

blobman: "cartilage doesn't grow back like on octapus"

Octapus grow back?

orangeblob: "And he say himself "you no see maybe desired results"

orangeblob read from bootleg script, what Bender REALLY said on Sunday was, "yo, is this my practice jersey?... thank you, I am ready to get on the floor and make it do what it do..."

Jonathan Bender rode back on the plane from New Orleans and practiced with the Knicks on Sunday. I would submit that if the same cartiledge-free knees that you inaccurately describe, can endure a full court scrimmage, playing 15 minutes in February may not be so far fetched.

Did you know that DeJuan Blair has replaced the missing ACL tissue in his knees with sweat and hard work?

What he really say, "you suck, you sit"

fishmike
USA
12/14/2009  10:26 AM
nobody is hoping Bender is our next starting PF.

At some point we will need to expand the rotation, guys turn ankles, etc etc.

Maybe Walsh just like his personality and thinks he's a good practice player. Who knows. Time will tell. So will orange

tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/14/2009  10:59 AM
SteveSmith wrote:
orangeblobman wrote:
Bender also realizes that if and when he returns to everyday play, he might feel -- and others might see --less-than-desired results. He cites Allen Houston as an example of a player who left and successfully returned to the NBA, choosing not to focus on those whose attempts largely failed.

Is this a joke?

I think this whole thing is a joke Donnie is playing on us.

He doesnt cite the last 2 yearly comeback trys of Allan. The year before he came to the knicks in the first place he was inactive. Never knew why, but remember it from his stats at nba.com

But why not take him to the knicks? This is what Donnie is all about. The plan is working, nothing to argue just some patients needed.

He is working hard to build some kind of positiv image around the knicks, and be prepared to offer LeBron everything he could ask for. Thats the reason they chose Gallo, Hill and Douglas. Those are all guys who have a positive character. All "good" guys. And I think that other than the Layden good guys, those can actually play!

Hill could become a prototype D'Antoni center and if you have a LeBron, you dont need a point to control the ball. In a Knicks Team with those 4 and someone at power forward (Lee?), Toney would be asked to defend and put the ball in the basket after LeBron wreaks havoc. Add Lee to this and you got 4 guys that shouldnt be left open when LeBron is comanding the ball.
It will take some time, but I think we will see this year that Hill can be exactly the guy Bron and D'Antoni want.

If LeBron doesnt come? Than you press hard for Rubio and be patient, something that Donnie has proven to be. The team is young, has perspective and needs time to grow. LeBron would speed this growing, but if hes not here, we will suck till Melo is available, but do it with young players that are not as hard to root for as a Zack Randolph or a delusional Marbury.

I dont think that he will settle for a Joe Johnson for max, thats just not his style.

excellent post stevesmith.. you should post more often..

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
12/14/2009  11:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2009  11:33 AM
nixluva wrote:
orangeblobman wrote:Maybe so nixluva, but Bender is 4 years removed from the league, sucked when he was younger and healthier, and has shot out knees. What the hell could he have possibly proved??

Bender likely showed that he could get up and down without a hitch in his gate, probably showed he still had some spring in his him hops. He actually always had an array of skills. Shooting, great agility and speed. If he's pain free and has been training he's still young enough for his body to snap back. Plus we don't know how long he's been training for a come back.

I agree. Knicks didn't sign Jason williams because walsh felt he didn't have the speed and movement they needed. And watching him, you can obviously see that.. williams is playing well for orlando, but he is doing it on mostly experience and guile.... I think they must see something in bender, that they feel can be salvaged, and not some gimp trying to make a comeback...

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/14/2009  11:13 AM
tkf wrote:
nixluva wrote:
orangeblobman wrote:Maybe so nixluva, but Bender is 4 years removed from the league, sucked when he was younger and healthier, and has shot out knees. What the hell could he have possibly proved??

Bender likely showed that he could get up and down without a hitch in his gate, probably showed he still had some spring in his him hops. He actually always had an array of skills. Shooting, great agility and speed. If he's pain free and has been training he's still young enough for his body to snap back. Plus we don't know how long he's been training for a come back.

I agree. Knicks didn't signe Jason williams because walsh felt he didn't have the speed and movement they needed. And watching him, you can obviously see that.. williams is playing well for orlando, but he is doing it on mostly experience and guile.... I think they must see something in bender, that they feel can be salvaged, and not some gimp trying to make a comeback...

my guess is that Jason also either dogged it or told Walsh that he would prefer to play in Orlando near his wife and kids. No problems with that.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

12/14/2009  11:19 AM
misterearl wrote:
Second, Bender, is exactly the type of "character guy" that makes for a great story and bring personality to a team. He has been building schools and homes in the New Orleans area after the nightmare of Katrina. For that alone, he receives a gold star in my notebook.

DW has been going out of his way lately to sign character guys. Sure must make for a good team atmosphere and fantastic chemistry. I wonder what the beat writers are going to do when they run out of drama to continually force feed us...sheesh, they might have to write about basketball. One more diva to go and I hope he gets a plane ticket this week...bye bye N8 the great!!

tkf
12/14/2009  11:22 AM
orangeblobman wrote:misterearl - I'm obviously a man of reason, this much has been proven in my time here. And, as a man of reason, I just see the facts in front of me and I make statement. Facts: very bad player in his youth, lose all cartilage, and cartilage doesn't grow back like on octapus. And he say himself "you no see maybe desired results", and I see his 'desired results' of 4 ppg over 6 years and 240 games played. Is all. ARRRGH COMMON NOW.

how is that a fact?

tkf
12/14/2009  11:26 AM
fishmike wrote:nobody is hoping Bender is our next starting PF.

At some point we will need to expand the rotation, guys turn ankles, etc etc.

Maybe Walsh just like his personality and thinks he's a good practice player. Who knows. Time will tell. So will orange

the good thing about this, is that bender has proven to be a quality person on and off the court and in the locker room. he deserves another chance... And as fans, we can sit back and hope for the best.. if he becomes a player that can help.. GREAT.. if not, then no loss.. but this is why we don't sit here and claim he will be our next starting forward, and for the same reasons, we shouldn't be writing this guy off as a waste of time either...

You think people would have learned something from calling gallo a bust before he played a game.. but Nooooo.. they did it again with hill, and now are ready to doom bender before he steps off the plane.... geez..

tkf
12/14/2009  11:35 AM
martin wrote:
tkf wrote:
nixluva wrote:

I agree. Knicks didn't signe Jason williams because walsh felt he didn't have the speed and movement they needed. And watching him, you can obviously see that.. williams is playing well for orlando, but he is doing it on mostly experience and guile.... I think they must see something in bender, that they feel can be salvaged, and not some gimp trying to make a comeback...

my guess is that Jason also either dogged it or told Walsh that he would prefer to play in Orlando near his wife and kids. No problems with that.

good point.. makes sense..

misterearl
USA
12/14/2009  11:36 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2009  11:46 AM
The Natural

Jonathan Bender is a great American story. Gifted high school player, who happens to be nearly seven feet tall, turns heads. The young man, from a small southern town, gets an early invitation to the NBA ahead of his peers. His potential is described in glowing terms. His life dream is to become a professional athlete and help his family. Not just his immediate family, the human family. He is injured and fights back through several injuries, only to suffer multiple setbacks.

Upon retirement he dedicates himself to helping others, many less fortunate due to a natural disaster.

He never gives up on his dream and works on his conditioning. Along the way he invents a product called "Bender Bands" to help people with chronic knee problems. Always thinking, he writes notes about business and basketball. He never gives up. Unlike many athletes who have had their dreams smashed or deferred... and had their fragile lives turn for the worse as a by-product.... Bender simply works.

Years after "retiring" he is running... and wants to try again.

Who are any of us to think, like orangeblob... or jrhustla ("This is one of those signing that won't make a difference one bit") ...in our selfish arrogance... that Bender cannot step in like Roy Hobbs... years after being shot... and not hit a home run?

K22
Member: #1182
USA
12/14/2009  11:48 AM
Rookie wrote:I wonder what the beat writers are going to do when they run out of drama to continually force feed us...sheesh, they might have to write about basketball.

And we can't have THAT now, can we?

Already you have certain beat writers who don't deserve to be named framing this as nepotism.

-- the preceding post was brought to you by the letter K and the number 22.
Knicks sign John Bender

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy