[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks sign John Bender
Author Thread
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
12/13/2009  6:37 PM
BasketballJones wrote:
joec32033 wrote:For what it's worth, Tommy Dee speculates about a possible trade being possible on the front page link.

Personally, I see two options here.

1)Include Cuttino with Curry and Nate in a deal for McGrady. It works, via tradechecker.

2)Bender's skill set may be able to replace JJ2's skill set and we pound out a life saving trade of JJ2, Curry, Nate, $3 mil, and maybe a pick for TMac. This also works via realgm tradechecker.

Oh man. Get rid of JJ2, Curry & Nate in one trade?

Take out Curry, put in Darko... Houston might do it.

lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
AUTOADVERT
orangeblobman
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #2539
Nauru
12/13/2009  6:39 PM
kam77 wrote:
BasketballJones wrote:
joec32033 wrote:For what it's worth, Tommy Dee speculates about a possible trade being possible on the front page link.

1)Include Cuttino with Curry and Nate in a deal for McGrady. It works, via tradechecker.

2)Bender's skill set may be able to replace JJ2's skill set and we pound out a life saving trade of JJ2, Curry, Nate, $3 mil, and maybe a pick for TMac. This also works via realgm tradechecker.

I'd rather take Curry at this point. Darko is a real *******.

WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
12/13/2009  6:40 PM
BasketballJones wrote:

I said life saving, didn't I?

Seriously, all I read is how Houston is gonna have a tough time trading TMac. It's like we are a tailor made trade right here!

What also works is Cuttino($9.5 mil covered by insurance), Curry, and JJ2 and $3 mil for McGrady and Brian Cook.

I mean for all intents and purposes we are tailor made, peanut butter and jelly style perfect trade partners with a TON of options to make this work and save them money.

~You can't run from who you are.~
AbrahamLincoln
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #3003

12/13/2009  7:42 PM

Tommy Dee makes things up to get hits on his blog.

Abraham Lincoln - David Lee Hater since 1863
orangeblobman
Nauru
12/13/2009  8:08 PM
AbrahamLincoln wrote:

Nahhh...Tommy Dee is honest.

WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
12/13/2009  8:11 PM
orangeblobman wrote:
Finestrg wrote:I don't even this we can work Bender into a deal. There's a waiting period when you sign a FA before you can trade him -- I think it's like 3 months. The deadline would've come and gone by then no?? Looks like Jonathan Bender's here to stay for the rest of the year. I'm almost certain now that they have a deal lined up with some team out there involving one of our big men, probably Hill. I just don't think that's the right move. Jordan Hill should be part of this team moving forward..Let's see what they wind up doing here....

Who the 'F' would want Bender in a deal?

Am I the only one that sees the ridiculousness of this signing? It's a personal favor Donnie is doing for the guy. He can't bring anything to the Knicks. At all.

Am I the only one that sees the ridiculousness in any belief that a GM of a franchise can
sign somebody who can't play as a personal favor -- i.e., taking money from his boss and giving it
to a friend? That's not only grounds for being fired, its probably borderline illegal (can you spell F-R-A-U-D?)

orangeblobman
Nauru
12/13/2009  8:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/13/2009  8:18 PM
Panos wrote:
orangeblobman wrote:
Finestrg wrote:I don't even this we can work Bender into a deal. There's a waiting period when you sign a FA before you can trade him -- I think it's like 3 months. The deadline would've come and gone by then no?? Looks like Jonathan Bender's here to stay for the rest of the year. I'm almost certain now that they have a deal lined up with some team out there involving one of our big men, probably Hill. I just don't think that's the right move. Jordan Hill should be part of this team moving forward..Let's see what they wind up doing here....

Am I the only one that sees the ridiculousness of this signing? It's a personal favor Donnie is doing for the guy. He can't bring anything to the Knicks. At all.

Am I the only one that sees the ridiculousness in any belief that a GM of a franchise can
sign somebody who can't play as a personal favor -- i.e., taking money from his boss and giving it
to a friend? That's not only grounds for being fired, its probably borderline illegal (can you spell F-R-A-U-D?)

Dude. It's not like "oh hey, buddy, I give you money". It's just that, you know, Bender wanted to get back in the league, and you know, they put him through whatever, and Donnie was more inclined to give him a shot, than, you know, another GM would.

Bender won't play a single minute this season. Mark my words, I put my life on it.

Dear Panos: While your anger and hatred meter goes up, I think your common sense meter goes down.

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
12/13/2009  8:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/13/2009  8:20 PM
orangeblobman wrote:
Panos wrote:
orangeblobman wrote:

Dude. It's not like "oh hey, buddy, I give you money". It's just that, you know, Bender wanted to get back in the league, and you know, they put him through whatever, and Donnie was more inclined to give him a shot, than, you know, another GM would.

Bender won't play a single minute this season. Mark my words, I put my life on it.

Don't you think Dolan might have a little something to say about that?
Why do you think Donnie would put his job/reputation/integrity on the line for Jonathan Bender?
Who the hell is Jonathan Bender to him? As far as I know he's not his God-son.

And I'm not angry one bit. I'm just beside myself with some stupidity I read.

orangeblobman
Nauru
12/13/2009  8:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/13/2009  8:22 PM
Panos wrote:
orangeblobman wrote:
Panos wrote:
orangeblobman wrote:

Don't you think Dolan might have a little something to say about that?
Why do you think Donnie would put his job/reputation/integrity on the line for Jonathan Bender?
Who the hell is Jonathan Bender to him? As far as I know he's not his God-son.

And I'm not angry one bit. I'm just beside myself with some stupidity I read.

No, I don't think Dolan would have had a little something to say about it. It's not a guaranteed contract and for all we know Bender's role is going to be a practice dummy. Maybe they needed a practice dummy. I never said it's a bad signing, but if you're shopping for a practice dummy, and you got a guy that you drafted and think highly of as a human being, and he is attempting to make a comeback, it's natural that Donnie would give him that shot over, let's say, Slavko Vranes. This isn't really a hard concept.

Keep being beside yourself, because your stupidity is beside you all the time obviously.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
12/13/2009  8:23 PM
BasketballJones wrote:

I would absolutely include draft picks to get that deal done. Otherwise, I would consider offering JJ a longer term deal if he opts out. His ability to guard opposing PGs really changes the defensive dynamic of this team.

This is the Randle.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/13/2009  8:29 PM
Dolan wouldn't let Walsh cut Zeke's scouts to bring in his own guys and you think he's just gonna let Walsh do a pity signing? The guy must really have shown that he is worth a look or else Dolan wouldn't agree to it. Despite what many think of Dolan, he's been around the game long enough to know if someone can play or not. I'm sure they have to show him some film or something to get him to agree with a buy like Bender being able to still play. Dolan has spent so much money that it's sickening and he's been much more frugal lately.

I do think that there's some kind of trade being worked on, cuz why bring in yet another PF/C if you don't think there's a spot for him to make the rotation at some point when he's ready? They must feel that they can clear out someone to make room for him to play.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/13/2009  8:49 PM
orangeblobman wrote:Maybe so nixluva, but Bender is 4 years removed from the league, sucked when he was younger and healthier, and has shot out knees. What the hell could he have possibly proved??

Bender likely showed that he could get up and down without a hitch in his gate, probably showed he still had some spring in his him hops. He actually always had an array of skills. Shooting, great agility and speed. If he's pain free and has been training he's still young enough for his body to snap back. Plus we don't know how long he's been training for a come back.

misterearl
Member: #799
USA
12/13/2009  9:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/13/2009  9:44 PM
Donnie Walsh Does His Homework

"Walsh is no nostalgist; he doesn’t subscribe to any rigid theories about offense and defense on the court, and one of his greatest strengths as an NBA executive has been his ability to adapt to the changes in rules and athletes over the years."

- New York Magazine

The most important passage in the information about Bender is that this deal is something that has been circulatin and percolatin since the Summer. No one noticed.

"(Bender) worked out with the Knicks over the summer..."

Bender: "Yo, dude pass the damn ball..."

"Walsh reads and understands the statistical analyses just fine. Yet he prefers to trust his eyes and instincts."

- New York Magazine

Bender: “I knew I was never going to stop. I knew I was going to try again.”

SFX: (answering service beep) "Hello Coach? Yes, I received the workout schedule Brittenham sent, thank you. I promise to stick to it and make the most of your generous offer. Hope Judy is doing well, please give her my regards..."

From published report - (Bender) continued to train during open-gym sessions in Houston before recently telling Walsh he was prepared for a comeback.

Bender: "Hello, Donnie? (pause) Yes, it's feeling much better... (pause) Okay boss, I'm ready to do this..."

once a knick always a knick
JohnWallace44
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #910
USA
12/13/2009  11:57 PM
Maybe Walsh is searching for some feel good press to cover his refusal to include the Mobley contract in a deal to get rid of Curry.
Alan Hahn: Nate Robinson has been on a ridonkulous scoring tear lately (remember when he couldn't hit Jerome James with a Big Mac in early January?)
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
12/14/2009  12:01 AM
February 2006 - Jonathan Bender Announces Retirement

"Some days that people didn't get to see, some days in practice, he looked like the best player on this team...He's that athletic. He's that skilled. It's really unfortunate he's not able to showcase everything he's been blessed with."

- Fred Jones

""A situation like this couldn't happen to a more undeserving person because Jonathan is a great kid and really wanted to play basketball in the worst way, and he wanted to help this franchise in the worst way. I know he's set up to move into some other things in his life because he's a smart kid and he's planned out his life after basketball well. It'll be one of the questions when you look back, how good this guy could've been. I'm not sure there was any limit to his potential, but it was just not to be, unfortunately."

- Rick Carlisle

The Best Part

In 2007, two years after Hurricane Katrina ravaged Bender's hometown of Picayune, Miss., he started the nonprofit Jonathan Bender Foundation and the for-profit Jonathan Bender Enterprises. The former promotes education and health in impoverished Gulf Coast communities; the latter pairs low-income real estate development with revitalization efforts such as free finance classes for the needy. Bender once found himself at one of these low-income work sites and had another epiphany: a feel-good reality show called Brand New Orleans, akin to ABC's Extreme Makeover. Naturally, he started a production company to develop the idea. "Everything I want to try, I try it," says Bender, who jumped straight from high school to the pros. "If I lose, at least I tried. Then I move on to something else. Maybe I didn't do it the right way. But maybe I'll get it right next time."

- SportsIllustrated

once a knick always a knick
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/14/2009  5:02 AM
kam77 wrote:
BasketballJones wrote:

I posted that the other day...dec 15 & 22nd are right around the corner

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/14/2009  6:32 AM
AbrahamLincoln wrote:

Agreed. Tommy Dee either speculates or posts other's work as his own. Definitely not on my to-read list.

And Abe, didn't you briefly post on RGM?

DLeethal wrote: Lol Rick needs a safe space
Ira
Member: #91
12/14/2009  7:50 AM
nixluva wrote:
orangeblobman wrote:Maybe so nixluva, but Bender is 4 years removed from the league, sucked when he was younger and healthier, and has shot out knees. What the hell could he have possibly proved??

Bender likely showed that he could get up and down without a hitch in his gate, probably showed he still had some spring in his him hops. He actually always had an array of skills. Shooting, great agility and speed. If he's pain free and has been training he's still young enough for his body to snap back. Plus we don't know how long he's been training for a come back.

I wish rebounding was part of that array of skills.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/14/2009  8:14 AM
orange... have you seen Bender play of late? Practice? Train?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/14/2009  8:17 AM
fishmike wrote:orange... have you seen Bender play of late? Practice? Train?

Bender prefers a tricycle to bicycle and definitely prefers a tricycle to a unicycle

DLeethal wrote: Lol Rick needs a safe space
Knicks sign John Bender

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy