[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks sign John Bender
Author Thread
itchetrigr
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1748
Norway
12/13/2009  1:32 PM
I thought his knees were shot!! is he really capable of contributing game or practice wise??
AUTOADVERT
orangeblobman
Member: #2539
Nauru
12/13/2009  1:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/13/2009  3:16 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Good signing. Bender had a ton of potential and this a low risk high reward type move.

It's more like a low risk, low no reward type move.

So this guy had no cartilage left when he was 24, but now he's 28, and he gained more cartilage? Is that how it works?

WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
12/13/2009  2:55 PM
Here's an article from July that lays out the whole scenario, including the idea that Walsh might sign him.

You can also see video of him working out at http://www.rawskills.com/index2.aspx
Scroll down and near the bottom are two links featuring Bender.

Updated: July 27, 2009, 4:42 PM ET
Bender plots NBA comeback
Comment Email Print Share
By Anna K. Clemmons
ESPN.com
Archive

Former Indiana Pacers teen prodigy Jonathan Bender is plotting an NBA comeback after a injury-forced retirement.

Bender left the Pacers midway through the 2005-06 season because of persistent knee troubles that limited him to just 237 games in seven NBA seasons. But he recently revealed his intent to put a growing business career on hold to give professional basketball one more shot.

"My potential is still enormous and I can still do a lot for a team," Bender told ESPN.com. "If it happens, then everything flows. And if it doesn't, at least I tried."

Now 28, Bender has developed various entrepreneurial ventures in Houston and New Orleans. When asked in March 2008 if he missed playing basketball, Bender replied by saying it was a "tough question."

That question, though, has since been answered.

"I thought about it last year for last season, but I was still doing a lot of learning and having fun with my various projects," Bender said by phone over the weekend.

The No. 5 overall pick in the 1999 draft said he was encouraged by cousin Morris Peterson of the New Orleans Hornets and various friends to make a comeback.

"I didn't want the windows to close on me," Bender said. "I wanted the opportunity to fight off the demons inside my head ... I read these articles that say, 'He's the top bust' or 'He's one of the guys who didn't live up to their potential.' I don't want to be 38 or 40 looking back thinking, 'I should've done this.' "

Bender said he also wants to be an example to children that "nothing is impossible" no matter how bad one's injuries are.

Drafted fifth overall out of high school by the Toronto Raptors, who then traded his rights to the Pacers, Bender signed a three-year, $7 million contract in 1999.

Following the 2001-02 season, Bender then received a four-year, $28.5 million contract extension from Indiana. But recurring knee problems prevented him from establishing himself even after the Pacers began to rebuild the veteran team he joined initially.

Bender averaged just 5.6 points in his career. When he announced his retirement in February 2006, the Pacers said the remainder of Bender's contract would be paid out through an insurance policy.

As for his damaged left knee, where cartilage was removed, Bender insists that there are no lingering problems after considerable therapy and training. Bender believes that the years of rest paid off in giving his knees a "break" from basketball, which he hadn't experienced since he was 12 or 13. He gradually began to work out again and over the past six months has trained six days a week alongside Olympic high jumping gold medalist Charles Austin, who has also dealt with knee injuries.

Austin trains Bender through a track-and-field approach while incorporating a method of running that Bender says takes a lot of the pressure off of his knees. They also focus on agility work, biometrics and aerodynamics.

"It's about keeping the upper body more cut than big and bulky; you're shaped like a carrot with weight up top," Bender said.

Over the next month, Bender will focus more on full-court competition and less on cross training with his sights set on trying to earn an invite to an NBA training camp. He posts weekly updates of his workout progress on www.rawskills.com, which he says is also where he'll direct interested teams and coaches. He still sees a doctor and works daily with his physical therapist before training, he said.

Bender is under no obligation to the Pacers and free to sign with any team. Given his injury history, it's doubtful that Bender would initially command more than the league minimum, which would be $959,111 next season based on his service time.

Although no concrete NBA interest in Bender has yet been established, it's believed that former Pacers general manager Donnie Walsh -- now running the New York Knicks -- will consider signing him again.

When asked if any teams had expressed interest in him, Bender declined to offer specifics, saying only that his agent had been in contact with various organizations.

"I don't want to put the cart in front of the horse," he said.

Bender also realizes that if and when he returns to everyday play, he might feel -- and others might see --less-than-desired results. He cites Allen Houston as an example of a player who left and successfully returned to the NBA, choosing not to focus on those whose attempts largely failed.

"You still have your moments because no one goes out there and doesn't feel anything," Bender said. "I feel a little something here and there but in the game, everyone runs on your legs so we're all going to have aches. There's nothing I can't bear."

Anna K. Clemmons is a writer for ESPN The Magazine.

https:// It's not so hard.
orangeblobman
Nauru
12/13/2009  3:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/13/2009  3:04 PM
Bender also realizes that if and when he returns to everyday play, he might feel -- and others might see --less-than-desired results. He cites Allen Houston as an example of a player who left and successfully returned to the NBA, choosing not to focus on those whose attempts largely failed.

Is this a joke?

I think this whole thing is a joke Donnie is playing on us.

WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
BasketballJones
USA
12/13/2009  3:07 PM
orangeblobman wrote:

Is this a joke?

Maybe he's the new locker-room monitor.

McK1
Member: #964
12/13/2009  3:50 PM
love the pick up. bender can score from anywhere.

hope he isn't gin baker or houston pt 2. hope he is shill's replacement when we swap him for bayless

the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
12/13/2009  3:51 PM
Wow, I never really paid much attention to him while he was in the league, but he looks like he had sick agility.
Pity about his knee...
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

12/13/2009  3:53 PM
Wow...Hey if he's healthy and can go, bring him in I guess. I mean WTF does this say about Jordan Hill now? First I can't even believe Jeffries plays ahead of Hill - we've been over that a million times so no need to rehash it other than to say FAILING TO DEVELOP HILL IS THE WRONG MOVE. PERIOD....Now they go and get this guy Bender out of retirement & off the scrap heap to be a part of this team?? If this guy came aboard now and all of a sudden started logging serious minutes on this team WITH Jeffries, Harrington and Lee, I think that may signal the end of Jordan Hill in a Knick uniform and that's PITIFUL!!!!!

We'll have to see what this move's all about (maybe there's another team out there who likes Bender, a team that may be willing to deal with the Knicks soon enough, but is either afraid or can't bring him in right now for whatever reason (at the salary cap limit, no more room on thier roster????) and left it up to Donnie to bring him in and showcase him for a later deal) but if the plan is to bring him in and keep him here, ahead of Jordan Hill, I'll be SHOCKED & SO DISSAPOINTED. It's almost like they're moving on from Hill now, as if he can't help them. I think that's a load of bunk..I don't know what the hell they see when they look at Jordan Hill. From everything I've seen from college up to now (the limited time he's been on the Knicks), I see nothing but a good kid first of all and a very talented big man with solid potential 2nd (he showed it in college -- this dude played at a very high level in college -- and he's shown sputs of it in the NBA in the few time's his number's been called. It's so incredibly dissapointing that Hill's not being given a chance. Every Knick fan out there should be upset about this...

SteveSmith
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #2812
Germany
12/13/2009  3:59 PM
orangeblobman wrote:

Is this a joke?

He doesnt cite the last 2 yearly comeback trys of Allan. The year before he came to the knicks in the first place he was inactive. Never knew why, but remember it from his stats at nba.com

But why not take him to the knicks? This is what Donnie is all about. The plan is working, nothing to argue just some patients needed.

He is working hard to build some kind of positiv image around the knicks, and be prepared to offer LeBron everything he could ask for. Thats the reason they chose Gallo, Hill and Douglas. Those are all guys who have a positive character. All "good" guys. And I think that other than the Layden good guys, those can actually play!

Hill could become a prototype D'Antoni center and if you have a LeBron, you dont need a point to control the ball. In a Knicks Team with those 4 and someone at power forward (Lee?), Toney would be asked to defend and put the ball in the basket after LeBron wreaks havoc. Add Lee to this and you got 4 guys that shouldnt be left open when LeBron is comanding the ball.
It will take some time, but I think we will see this year that Hill can be exactly the guy Bron and D'Antoni want.

If LeBron doesnt come? Than you press hard for Rubio and be patient, something that Donnie has proven to be. The team is young, has perspective and needs time to grow. LeBron would speed this growing, but if hes not here, we will suck till Melo is available, but do it with young players that are not as hard to root for as a Zack Randolph or a delusional Marbury.

I dont think that he will settle for a Joe Johnson for max, thats just not his style.

SteveSmith
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #2812
Germany
12/13/2009  4:05 PM
Finestrg wrote:From everything I've seen from college up to now (the limited time he's been on the Knicks), I see nothing but a good kid first of all and a very talented big man with solid potential 2nd (he showed it in college -- this dude played at a very high level in college -- and he's shown sputs of it in the NBA in the few time's his number's been called. It's so incredibly dissapointing that Hill's not being given a chance. Every Knick fan out there should be upset about this...

Patience?

Dont go mad about this. They know what Jordan can become and what kind of person he is, but they are not pushing him. Thats all. He will get his chance, and when that day comes, he will be ready.

McK1
Member: #964
12/13/2009  4:27 PM
first you have Walsh lamenting not taking Jennings last week now they sign Bender...hmmm
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

12/13/2009  5:17 PM
I don't even this we can work Bender into a deal. There's a waiting period when you sign a FA before you can trade him -- I think it's like 3 months. The deadline would've come and gone by then no?? Looks like Jonathan Bender's here to stay for the rest of the year. I'm almost certain now that they have a deal lined up with some team out there involving one of our big men, probably Hill. I just don't think that's the right move. Jordan Hill should be part of this team moving forward..Let's see what they wind up doing here....
orangeblobman
Nauru
12/13/2009  5:27 PM
Finestrg wrote:I don't even this we can work Bender into a deal. There's a waiting period when you sign a FA before you can trade him -- I think it's like 3 months. The deadline would've come and gone by then no?? Looks like Jonathan Bender's here to stay for the rest of the year. I'm almost certain now that they have a deal lined up with some team out there involving one of our big men, probably Hill. I just don't think that's the right move. Jordan Hill should be part of this team moving forward..Let's see what they wind up doing here....

Who the 'F' would want Bender in a deal?

Am I the only one that sees the ridiculousness of this signing? It's a personal favor Donnie is doing for the guy. He can't bring anything to the Knicks. At all.

JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

12/13/2009  5:29 PM
This is one of those signing that won't make a difference one bit.
AbrahamLincoln
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #3003

12/13/2009  5:32 PM
This is more of a favor to a guy like Bender than anything else. Walsh traded for his draft rights so he has a connection there with him. He is showing loyalty and wants to give the guy a shot that probably no one else will. We'll see how it pans out but I wouldn't hold my breath on him ever contributing anything to this team. There's a good chance he may get released at some point too since his deal is unguaranteed. Still, a solid pick up. Low risk, high reward type thing.
Abraham Lincoln - David Lee Hater since 1863
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
12/13/2009  5:41 PM
If his knee is healed, this kid can play so it is really a low risk move to see if bender can reach his potential.
Trust the Process
loweyecue
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #1037

12/13/2009  6:03 PM
We signed Cheikh Samb last year so what? It doesn't work out it doesn't work, what's the big deal?
TKF on Melo ::....he is a punk, a jerk, a self absorbed out of shape, self aggrandizing, unprofessional, volume chucking coach killing playoff loser!!
Paladin55
Member: #2098

12/13/2009  6:04 PM
McK1 wrote:first you have Walsh lamenting not taking Jennings last week now they sign Bender...hmmm

So you are saying he was on a "bender" because of Jennings when he picked up Bender?

No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities- C.N. Bovee
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
12/13/2009  6:32 PM
For what it's worth, Tommy Dee speculates about a possible trade being possible on the front page link.

Personally, I see two options here.

1)Include Cuttino with Curry and Nate in a deal for McGrady. It works, via tradechecker.

2)Bender's skill set may be able to replace JJ2's skill set and we pound out a life saving trade of JJ2, Curry, Nate, $3 mil, and maybe a pick for TMac. This also works via realgm tradechecker.

~You can't run from who you are.~
BasketballJones
USA
12/13/2009  6:33 PM
joec32033 wrote:For what it's worth, Tommy Dee speculates about a possible trade being possible on the front page link.

Personally, I see two options here.

1)Include Cuttino with Curry and Nate in a deal for McGrady. It works, via tradechecker.

2)Bender's skill set may be able to replace JJ2's skill set and we pound out a life saving trade of JJ2, Curry, Nate, $3 mil, and maybe a pick for TMac. This also works via realgm tradechecker.

Oh man. Get rid of JJ2, Curry & Nate in one trade?

Knicks sign John Bender

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy