[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Please Donnie, Cut The Ridiculous, Elaborate Pre Game Introductions
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
11/8/2009  9:29 PM
It was cute in 1999. In 2009, this squad does not deserve the taped pre-introduction nonsense that should be reserved for the playoffs, not the regular season... and especially a regular season marked by inconsistent, lethargic and uninspired play. No, this is not the way the Knicks were introduced during the glory years and it most definitely should NOT be the way they are introduced today.

Just cut the artificial noise. If, and it is a huge if, fans want to cheer, they will decide what the appropriate volume should be, not some dude with control over an amplifier. Cut it. Cut the dimmed lights, cut the video, cut the announcer yelling Chris Dooooo-hoooon over a rare made basket and cut the freakin' prompts.

This squad does not deserve such recognition. None of them are worthy of having their names over-pronounced or shouted into a microphone. The famous public address man John Condon knew exactly how to match productioin with recognition. If you don't win, you don't get mad props, it is that simple.

Play basketball.

Save the silly over-production for small market franchises that don't know any better.

This is New York.

once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
orangeblobman
Member: #2539
Nauru
11/8/2009  9:30 PM
well, precisely because IT IS new york, they make these productions.

you're talking about the same fans that sell out MSG for a 30 win team, the same fans that treat the home team like **** in favor of lebron. say what you want, smartest fans and whatnot, but smart or not we certainly seem like the biggest pieces of ****. and we get these introductions that cater to our intellects. that's all.

WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/8/2009  9:33 PM
misterearl wrote:It was cute in 1999. In 2009, this squad does not deserve the taped pre-introduction nonsense that should be reserved for the playoffs, not the regular season... and especially a regular season marked by inconsistent, lethargic and uninspired play. No, this is not the way the Knicks were introduced during the glory years and it most definitely should NOT be the way they are introduced today.

Just cut the artificial noise. If, and it is a huge if, fans want to cheer, they will decide what the appropriate volume should be, not some dude with control over an amplifier. Cut it. Cut the dimmed lights, cut the video, cut the announcer yelling Chris Dooooo-hoooon over a rare made basket and cut the freakin' prompts.

This squad does not deserve such recognition. None of them are worthy of having their names over-pronounced or shouted into a microphone. The famous public address man John Condon knew exactly how to match productioin with recognition. If you don't win, you don't get mad props, it is that simple.

Play basketball.

Save the silly over-production for small market franchises that don't know any better.

This is New York.

Small markets... you mean like Spurs and Utah...
Come on earl... You know all this show is for tourists. Who else in clear mind will go see this?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
misterearl
USA
11/8/2009  9:37 PM
orangeblob - the introductions are the by-product of the Dolan Empire that is much more concerned with vapid style over substance. The production does not cater to anyones intellect, it is a testament to the smoke and mirrors of corporate America that knows that if you put a nice wrapper on it, you can sell just about anything.

The fact that Lebron can smile in Larry Hughes' face, after busting a jumper in his face, and have Larry Hughes smile right back - is enough to turn my stomach.

New York fans need to step their collective game up as well.

No, you can't fool me.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/8/2009  9:40 PM
misterearl wrote:orangeblob - the introductions are the by-product of the Dolan Empire that is much more concerned with vapid style over substance. The production does not cater to anyones intellect, it is a testament to the smoke and mirrors of corporate America that knows that if you put a nice wrapper on it, you can sell just about anything.

The fact that Lebron can smile in Larry Hughes' face, after busting a jumper in his face, and have Larry Hughes smile right back - is enough to turn my stomach.

No, you can't fool me.

They send Larry to NY to keep Knicks crappy forever. Conspiracy!!!! Larry!!! You know what I mean!!! Cursed name...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
orangeblobman
Member: #2539
Nauru
11/8/2009  9:42 PM
misterearl wrote:orangeblob - the introductions are the by-product of the Dolan Empire that is much more concerned with vapid style over substance. The production does not cater to anyones intellect, it is a testament to the smoke and mirrors of corporate America that knows that if you put a nice wrapper on it, you can sell just about anything.

No, you can't fool me.

i can dig that. +1

WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
misterearl
USA
11/8/2009  9:50 PM
No more pre game spotlights until this squad can prove it is a team.

During Patrick Ewing's rookie season, Madison Square Garden (cough) producers attempted to overlay a taped recording of people chanting "dee-fense" during the first week of the season. I was there. In a postively appropriate reaction, New York Knicks fans booed. It was a beautiful thing. The recording was dropped.

Those fans were knowledgeable.

BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
11/9/2009  1:16 AM
I agree with misterearl 100% on this one.
https:// It's not so hard.
jimimou
Alba Posts: 36
Lame Alba Posts: 1
Member: #681
USA
11/9/2009  9:02 AM
the fans that watch the knicks today are not those same fans earl. today's garden is filled w tourists and school kids and corporate bozos who are there for a night at the theater rather than to support their home team. i remember watching games at the garden back in the early 90's where you would get killed (not literally but def some mustard squeezed on it and beer thrown on it) if you wore the other team's jersey and sat in the upper deck....thi steam, the cyulture created by dolan and company, is just god aweful. and, i fear it will only get worse if lebron comes.
misterearl
USA
11/9/2009  10:01 AM
The Savior

jimimou - the trumpeting of Lebron, amplified in redundant phrases by the media, is totally out of control. Everyone knows the scenario. How many times can the same story be regurgitated?

Will there be a Lebron countdown clock installed in Times Square?

There is no way the story can have a happy ending. The constant attention to 2010 has already eroded every players frame of mind to an irritated and annoyed state of distraction. Fast forward to Mayor Bloomberg hosting the James welcome at City Hall, the parade, the endless interviews. Training camp features on what Lebron eats for breakfast. Ticket prices increase significantly.

Then, the season starts. He tweaks his ankle in the home opener but decides to play through the pain due to all the hype but his game suffers. The collective press, after the inevitable double digit loss, will start to question the wisdom of signing him in the first place.

"Lebron No Savior" will be the huge headline on the back page.

"No Hope" will be the tshirt of the day with Lebron's face painted as The Joker. Lebron gets homesick and tells the press he underestimated the intensity of the spotlight on Broadway. "Good Riddance" is the headline as Lebron is bought out.

Now, consider what the story is if Lebron stays in Cleveland, or signs with the Lakers.

"Knicks Losers Again"

"Lebron Snubs New York"

It is a no win situation.

kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
11/9/2009  10:05 AM
That is the most depressing post ever. Did someone switch your coffee with Folger's crystals?
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
jimimou
USA
11/9/2009  10:08 AM
misterearl wrote:The Savior

jimimou - the trumpeting of Lebron, amplified in redundant phrases by the media, is totally out of control. Everyone knows the scenario. How many times can the same story be regurgitated?

Will there be a Lebron countdown clock installed in Times Square?

There is no way the story can have a happy ending. The constant attention to 2010 has already eroded every players frame of mind to an irritated and annoyed state of distraction. Fast forward to Mayor Bloomberg hosting the James welcome at City Hall, the parade, the endless interviews. Training camp features on what Lebron eats for breakfast. Ticket prices increase significantly.

Then, the season starts. He tweaks his ankle in the home opener but decides to play through the pain due to all the hype but his game suffers. The collective press, after the inevitable double digit loss, will start to question the wisdom of signing him in the first place.

"Lebron No Savior" will be the huge headline on the back page.

"No Hope" will be the tshirt of the day with Lebron's face painted as The Joker. Lebron gets homesick and tells the press he underestimated the intensity of the spotlight on Broadway. "Good Riddance" is the headline as Lebron is bought out.

Now, consider what the story is if Lebron stays in Cleveland, or signs with the Lakers.

"Knicks Losers Again"

"Lebron Snubs New York"

It is a no win situation.

i remember sitting with you and dj at a knicks game a few years back and you were telling us how back in the early (well i wont put the date in there so noone can guess your age )....at halftime, all you would see are the guys w the brooms who actually swept the floor during halftime. that was the halftime show. lol, where are we now????

kam77
11/9/2009  10:10 AM
Don't hate on the broom guys. That's entertainment.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
misterearl
USA
11/9/2009  10:17 AM
kam77 - deep in your heart, with your depth of knowledge of things orange and blue, you cannot deny the harsh reality. Sure, it may be depressing - but there is also the undeniable sensation that the truth hurts.

Certainly, Lebron in New York will sell plenty of papers, spice up the opening player introductions and generate headlines out the yin-yang but you know like all basketball fans know...

...he will need a Scottie Pippen, a James Worthy, a Tim Duncan or a Robert Parrish to go deep in the playoffs. Without that compliment, the Knicks might as well sign Paul Westphal.

Lebron, by himself, is not the answer.

Will somebody please turn the dishonest, artificial noise off?

kam77
11/9/2009  10:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/9/2009  10:26 AM
misterearl wrote:
Lebron, by himself, is not the answer....he will need a Scottie Pippen, a James Worthy, a Tim Duncan or a Robert Parrish to go deep in the playoffs.

LeBron has already made the finals with Scot Pollard, Ira Newble, Big Z, Boobie Gibson, Larry Hughes, Drew Gooden, Andersen Varejeo, Donyell Marshall, Eric Snow and Damon Jones.

Where is the Pippen or Worthy or Duncan in that motley crew?

misterearl
USA
11/9/2009  10:30 AM
jimimou - that was a great afternoon in section 404.

I may be old school but I also understand that time moves on. The old guys sweeping the Garden floor at half time would never keep fans engaged the way sexy city dancers, contests and taped ads can. Our senses are conditioned to expect and want more. I'm cool with that. What I resent is the huge dose of dishonesty that the noise is dispensed with.

If our beloved team is 1-6 they don't pass go, they don't collect $200 and the DEFINITELY don't get dapped up by some announcer telling me to "stand up and cheer..."

It is 2009.

Is it too much to ask for a iPhone app that allows a ticket buyer in the blue seats (only) to send a text that is immediately posted (in large letters in any color I choose) on a flat screen monitor at the locker of any Knicks player?

Now, That's entertainment.

K22
Member: #1182
USA
11/9/2009  12:07 PM
You know we've definitely got some issues when even Earl's getting pissed off.
-- the preceding post was brought to you by the letter K and the number 22.
jimimou
USA
11/9/2009  12:18 PM
K22 wrote:You know we've definitely got some issues when even Earl's getting pissed off.

nixluva is gonna be next

Bippity10
Member: #574
11/9/2009  2:03 PM
Earl, great post. I was thinking the same thing.
I just hope that people will like me
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
11/9/2009  2:04 PM
Bippity10 wrote:Earl, great post. I was thinking the same thing.

I posted too. How come you never praise me for my great posts?

https:// It's not so hard.
Please Donnie, Cut The Ridiculous, Elaborate Pre Game Introductions

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy