[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks 76, Jazz 72
Author Thread
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
10/24/2001  7:36 AM
NEW YORK Othella Harrington scored 16 points, raising his preseason shooting percentage to 63 percent, as the New York Knicks held off the Utah Jazz 76-72 Tuesday night.

The Jazz rallied from a 17-point deficit in the fourth quarter behind 14 points from Rusty LaRue, who is competing with John Crotty for the backup point guard spot.

With a chance to tie, John Amaechi missed a 20-foot jumper with four seconds left to end Utah's last chance.

Before the game, Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy announced that Mark Jackson will be his starting point guard, with Charlie Ward the backup and Howard Eisley relegated to third string.

``I feel for Howard, I really do,'' Van Gundy said. ``I believe in all three, but two have to play and one has to sit. I know Howard will be ready when called upon.''

Jackson finished with five points, seven assists, three steals and three turnovers, while Ward shot 2-for-10 with three assists. Eisley did not play.

LaRue made a strong case for winning the backup job behind John Stockton, scoring 14 of Utah's 25 points in the fourth quarter. LaRue does not have a guaranteed contract, whereas Crotty does, and coach Jerry Sloan said the Jazz will only keep 12 players _ opting not to stash anyone on the injured list.

``Guys that don't make our team should have a chance to play someplace else,'' Sloan said. ``He (LaRue) has played OK. These other guys have played OK, too. I don't like to make a decision two or three days ahead of time.''

Latrell Sprewell scored 15 points and Allan Houston 13 for the Knicks.

The Jazz committed 27 turnovers, including seven by Stockton in 24 minutes.
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
10/24/2001  4:11 PM
I was happy to see them play a very good game. Thomas finally had a really good night and Weatherspoon, though rusty, proved he may eventually be of help to the knicks and could even start. Sprewell and Houston were their usual selves, but i was happy that they played an overall very consistant game, despite not shooting that well. Jackson distributed the ball well and Anderson didn't score that well, but had three steals and was smothering on defense. Also, Othella was the man once again.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
10/24/2001  11:34 PM
Damn what's the point of getting Eisley if he's not going to play???
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
10/25/2001  4:05 AM
Getting rid of Rice and the Muggster while making Spree happy, although everyone knows he meant Houston.
Caseloads
Member: #41
10/25/2001  12:27 PM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Getting rid of Rice and the Muggster while making Spree happy, although everyone knows he meant Houston.
Any trade where you get rid of damaged goods Cough-Ahem "Rice" Cough for healthy (yet overpaid) talent is a good deal.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
10/25/2001  1:18 PM
I agree, but it resulted in a very expensive "brunson" on our bench which was the question wasn't it? I sincerely hope one of these trades are up and coming..

Golden State trades: Vonteego Cummings ,Adonal Foyle
New York trades: Howard Eisley

or

Golden State trades: Erick Dampier ,Danny Fortson
New York trades: Charlie Ward ,Kurt Thomas

BONG

DIDLEY DONG CAN'T GO WRONG

ACCEPTED

Oh and if I heard it correct through the grapevine Khalid El-Amin might be cut by Dallas who would make a perfect third string PG in NYC.
Knicks 76, Jazz 72

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy