[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

RealGM Knicks Season Preview
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
10/18/2001  1:38 PM
Another season is upon us and it is time for Knick fans to rekindle their hope.

This year could be different, should be different … WILL be different?

Buoyed by solid off-season acquisitions that saw the team ship out Glen Rice and bring in the steady Howard Eisley and the durable Shandon Anderson, and sign the underrated Clarence Weatherspoon, and with Marcus Camby bulkier and for the most part healthy, Othella Harrington finally showcasing his full repertoire (including the sweet baby hook) as the team’s major offensive presence in the paint, and with some new motion in the offense, the Knicks finished the season at the top of the Eastern Conference, a team nobody wants to face heading into the second season ….

Rest of Article: http://www.realgm.com/src_new_york_column.php

This definetly makes you think our team will be pretty good if they remain healthy. I think we will have a great season.

[Edited by - knixkik on 10/18/2001 13:40:54]
AUTOADVERT
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
10/18/2001  2:53 PM
I do too!
We suck.
Knixkik
USA
10/18/2001  4:12 PM
Hopefully we will have a 50-plus win season and be in the top three in the east. Guys to look out for this year are the new Marcus Camby, Othella Harrington, Shandon Anderson, and the obvious Sprewell and Houston. I predict everyone will have decent seasons, but these are the guys who will really have their best years in my opinion.
Knixkik
USA
10/18/2001  6:04 PM
Getting off the topic...

10/18-TAG's DAYS COULD BE NUMBERED- There has been rumor for the better part of the summer that the Utah Jazz have been entertaining trade offers for Greg Ostertag. This last weeks output may speed the process up. In speaking with media Jazz head coach Jerry Sloan said he simply wasn't getting enough rebounding and interior presence from his centers. The bloated contract of Ostertag may become very expendable, especially in light of New York's serious interest. Ostertag admitted he'd heard the talk, and would play hard regardless of the team he's on. The Knicks are rumored to be dangling Charlie Ward and a draft choice for a serious center, and that package has been offered to the Jazz at least twice. Olden Polynice is still talking with the Jazz about a possible return.

Thoughts?
VG
Member: #68
Australia
10/19/2001  5:44 AM
Posted by Knixkik:

Getting off the topic...

10/18-TAG's DAYS COULD BE NUMBERED- There has been rumor for the better part of the summer that the Utah Jazz have been entertaining trade offers for Greg Ostertag. This last weeks output may speed the process up. In speaking with media Jazz head coach Jerry Sloan said he simply wasn't getting enough rebounding and interior presence from his centers. The bloated contract of Ostertag may become very expendable, especially in light of New York's serious interest. Ostertag admitted he'd heard the talk, and would play hard regardless of the team he's on. The Knicks are rumored to be dangling Charlie Ward and a draft choice for a serious center, and that package has been offered to the Jazz at least twice. Olden Polynice is still talking with the Jazz about a possible return.

Thoughts?

Damn I would rather have one of GS'centers.
Knixkik
USA
10/19/2001  8:46 AM
So would i but ward for ostertag isn't half-bad if you consider that we have one too many average point guards and are one short of a decent 7 footer.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
10/19/2001  9:13 AM
Didn't you guys read any of the article's lately? Even our cheap Felton Spencer who makes about $590,850 a year outplayed that big O who receives $6,933,333 with an increasing paycheck each year. Why would we take someone like that on? I'm not that desperate for a big stiff who doesn't play well and should daily count his lucky stars that he got such a contract in the first place.

Ward has been in shape this preseason with his best knee in seven years.

Our best course of action would be either a trade with GS or wait it out untill december 15th and get creative as everyone is tradeable.

If we're deadset on dealing with Utah I'd rather get that fruitcake Polynice who has better career averages and plays better "D".

[Edited by - knicksbabyyeah on 10/19/2001 09:20:34]
Knixkik
USA
10/19/2001  11:15 AM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Didn't you guys read any of the article's lately? Even our cheap Felton Spencer who makes about $590,850 a year outplayed that big O who receives $6,933,333 with an increasing paycheck each year. Why would we take someone like that on? I'm not that desperate for a big stiff who doesn't play well and should daily count his lucky stars that he got such a contract in the first place.

Ward has been in shape this preseason with his best knee in seven years.

Our best course of action would be either a trade with GS or wait it out untill december 15th and get creative as everyone is tradeable.

If we're deadset on dealing with Utah I'd rather get that fruitcake Polynice who has better career averages and plays better "D".

[Edited by - knicksbabyyeah on 10/19/2001 09:20:34]
I think Mark Cuban said it best; When it comes to the cap, once you're over, you're over and there's no looking back. Because the knicks are so far over the cap, money is no longer an issue and it doesn't matter how much Ostertag is making, as long he improves the team. If Layden and Van Gundy feel he can make the team better than you have to get him no matter how much money he makes. Obviously getting Foyle would be much better for us, but consider Foyle is only 6-10 while Ostertag is 7-2. Either way i just want a guy who can play 10-12 minutes a game, grab a few boards and blocks a couple shots.
lovespree
Member: #53
USA
10/19/2001  11:33 AM
I agree that it would be utterly ridiculous to pay Osterteg that type of money. I don't think the Knicks will do it - at least I hope they won't. VGundy has been quoted recently as saying that the Knicks will not go out and acquire a center just becuase of their size if they don't have any talent. It wouldn't help the situation. It doesn't matter how big you are if you can't defend, grab a rebound or score - none of which Osterteg do well then what good are you. We'd be paying over 6 million dollars to a guy just because he's tall! That makes no sense. The Knicks need to stick with Felton. Even with Felton's limited moves, he is a 100% better then Osterteg.
NY KNICKS 4 EVER! Will we ever find players like Anthony Mason, Xavier McDaniels, Patrick Ewing again? I hope so.
Knixkik
USA
10/19/2001  12:43 PM
Posted by lovespree:

I agree that it would be utterly ridiculous to pay Osterteg that type of money. I don't think the Knicks will do it - at least I hope they won't. VGundy has been quoted recently as saying that the Knicks will not go out and acquire a center just becuase of their size if they don't have any talent. It wouldn't help the situation. It doesn't matter how big you are if you can't defend, grab a rebound or score - none of which Osterteg do well then what good are you. We'd be paying over 6 million dollars to a guy just because he's tall! That makes no sense. The Knicks need to stick with Felton. Even with Felton's limited moves, he is a 100% better then Osterteg.
Though we obviously could use size, i'm not too unhappy with what we have now. As long as Camby is healthy, he is capable of playing 35-40 minutes a game. In other words we only need someone to fill in at center for about 8-13 minutes per game. Thomas or Harrington or Spencer are very capable of doing that. Though Spencer is the only 7-footer of the bunch, Thomas is still probably our best post defender and Harrington's defense and post game are steadily improving as well. Weatherspoon is the only question mark and if he doesn't come around by december, he could be traded for a larger big man. For the time being, Thomas, Harrington, and Spencer will do just fine backing Camby up.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
10/19/2001  1:30 PM
I'm rather curious at how big the rotation will be used by JVG. If he can hold his nerves and go deeper than that silly 8 man rotation but go 10-12 untill the 15th of december he could truly know the playing value of the current team, raise the value of some players for other teams and not be the underdog in a trade. Everybody will be tradeable the 15th so why not make them more valuable at the same time go faster with the rotations. Spencer might be the best example of this, he has rarely gotten any playing time from "the prince of darkness" but he has shown his skills sporadically last season and this preseason. The only real scrub on our roster is Travis Knight, who should get an immediate designation to the IR or be waived/cut/traded for a bag of chips aka second round pick to Portland who can use the height Knight has.
Knixkik
USA
10/19/2001  5:40 PM

I'm rather curious at how big the rotation will be used by JVG. If he can hold his nerves and go deeper than that silly 8 man rotation but go 10-12 untill the 15th of december he could truly know the playing value of the current team, raise the value of some players for other teams and not be the underdog in a trade. Everybody will be tradeable the 15th so why not make them more valuable at the same time go faster with the rotations. Spencer might be the best example of this, he has rarely gotten any playing time from "the prince of darkness" but he has shown his skills sporadically last season and this preseason. The only real scrub on our roster is Travis Knight, who should get an immediate designation to the IR or be waived/cut/traded for a bag of chips aka second round pick to Portland who can use the height Knight has.
Right now it looks like Van Gundy will have to go with a 9-man rotation going with Weatherspoon, Harrington, Anderson, and either Ward or Eisley coming off the bench. This is a good rotation, however it doesn't include Spencer. He will get off the bench to play center a little, but won't be in the perminant rotation. For some time, Harrington and Thomas can see time at center and Weatherspoon will see all his time at power forward. Right now you have to be pretty happy with the way our team is shaping up though. I can't wait until Camby can get back on his feet.
Knixkik
USA
10/19/2001  5:53 PM
BskBall.com's Brook B puts out a good weekly report of the knicks. He mentions the outstanding playing of Othella Harrington, Shandon Anderson, and more.

Othella Harrington is quickly becoming my favorite player off the bench. He moves well, is shiftier than you'd expect for someone his size, and has become a solid finisher. At times last year I felt he was missing easy layups after touch-fouls and would not finish with enough authority when presented with a clear basket. It seems that his resolve has strengthened this season, and he now plays with a great deal more confidence. He's averaging 4 points per game more than Kurt Thomas, and had one impressive high-game of 16. On the glass, Harrington is a bit of a liability--but his post-moves help to redeem him. If Van Gundy provides him the opportunity, Othella could become a critical cog in the Knicks' offensive machine.

Shandon Anderson continues to impress me. Occupying the floor alongside much less qualified bench players from both teams, Anderson was able to truly shine and take the reins of the offense. He was every bit the slashing and disruptive player I had heard about, but also stepped out of character with a competent outside-shooting game. Shandon shot 50% from the field, with 13 points in 24 minutes with one steal--coincidentally, the exact same numbers Sprewell had that night. What's more, Anderson appears to be continually on the move--sliding around the court with quicker cadence than his teammates. Combine his movement and shooting touch, and it's like a Glen Rice record played at the wrong speed.

Rest of the Article: http://www.bskball.com/NewYork.shtml
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
10/19/2001  5:55 PM
I love our knicks but it's pretty obvious we need a trade to be a contender. All of us here have been messing around with the tradechecker at realgm or been posting rumors found on the net. Eventhough I've been pleasantly surprised with the play of Ward, Othella and Anderson I truly think we should go at least 10 deep to showcase our roster. Make other teams covet one of our players for a change and get that illustrous draft pick in the trade when THEY sweeten the pot. We have a good roster besides Knight for a very good team, hopefully a fast playing team. To go deep into the playoffs however we'd need some size to boot. We really need some size but we need to make a slow and deliberate decision on this.
Knixkik
USA
10/19/2001  6:00 PM

I love our knicks but it's pretty obvious we need a trade to be a contender. All of us here have been messing around with the tradechecker at realgm or been posting rumors found on the net. Eventhough I've been pleasantly surprised with the play of Ward, Othella and Anderson I truly think we should go at least 10 deep to showcase our roster. Make other teams covet one of our players for a change and get that illustrous draft pick in the trade when THEY sweeten the pot. We have a good roster besides Knight for a very good team, hopefully a fast playing team. To go deep into the playoffs however we'd need some size to boot. We really need some size but we need to make a slow and deliberate decision on this.
The guys who deserve to not be traded and stay on the team are Sprewell, Houston, Camby, Harrington, and Anderson. Showcase the others and hopefully we can make a good, smart trade. If not, i think we are still an elite team with the roster we have.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
10/19/2001  6:50 PM
Actually it's just Camby and Othella I won't let go, emotions aside, if you look at what they bring into the game and at what price. What could we possibly get in return for their salaries which would be worth it? NADA They're too good to be capfillers in a trade so I hope to enjoy them for a long long time. However, if Shandon keeps up the good work I'm really up for a trade of one of our SG's. Either Houston or Spree, fill in your own preference. Shandon is a natural SF and I'd be happy to let him start there if he continues to work out. In return for AH/Spree we could balance our roster while hopefully getting the missing piece to go all the way in the playoffs. What about Spree+KT for Dice+Wahad? Just a suggestion.
I know Wahad is a SG as well but if we'd have the combo of Dice and Camby we'd be one mean hoop drilling machine.

[Edited by - knicksbabyyeah on 10/19/2001 18:52:55]
Knixkik
USA
10/19/2001  9:38 PM

Actually it's just Camby and Othella I won't let go, emotions aside, if you look at what they bring into the game and at what price. What could we possibly get in return for their salaries which would be worth it? NADA They're too good to be capfillers in a trade so I hope to enjoy them for a long long time. However, if Shandon keeps up the good work I'm really up for a trade of one of our SG's. Either Houston or Spree, fill in your own preference. Shandon is a natural SF and I'd be happy to let him start there if he continues to work out. In return for AH/Spree we could balance our roster while hopefully getting the missing piece to go all the way in the playoffs. What about Spree+KT for Dice+Wahad? Just a suggestion.
I know Wahad is a SG as well but if we'd have the combo of Dice and Camby we'd be one mean hoop drilling machine.

[Edited by - knicksbabyyeah on 10/19/2001 18:52:55]
Like it or not Sprewell and Houston are going nowhere anytime soon. I like Anderson a lot, but he's better coming off the bench then starting in my opinion. Camby should be untradeable and Harrington should only go in the right deal, but you definetly have to do all possible to hold onto him.
john44
Member: #115
USA
10/20/2001  1:43 AM
how can you be so willing ot trade spree and kurt for dice and wahad. Wahad sucks dice is hurt. Also its onl preseason how confindant can you be in Anderson, yes he is playing very well but its against bench guys most of the time and if he was that good i dont think the rockets would have traded him for glenn rice who can't walk. Spree is the most important player on the team besides Camby and he is the only true leader on the team.
Matt
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
10/20/2001  6:13 AM
First, I love Spree but not as much as I love the Knicks. I'd be very happy if we could keep him and still add an allstar quality player to the PF or C position. With the two SG's we have we might go to the finals but I don't see us winning the loot. I don't like Wahad either but it be worth it to get McDyess. Second, it may be only preseason but Anderson has been a starting SF who now is backing up Spree. Third, AH is virtually untradeable with the contract he has. Besides it's largeness and the BYC it's an overpaid contract hard to trade. I'm willing to do all it takes to get the rings and not play favorite. The only team I can think of who went all the way without a good center are the bulls, help me out if I'm wrong. My dream lineup would be with Spree, Dice and Camby but that won't happen.

[Edited by - knicksbabyyeah on 10/20/2001 06:14:39]
Knixkik
USA
10/20/2001  11:12 AM
Who knows if Dice will ever be as good as he was before the injury because he might not. Sprewell, Houston, and Camby are a great 3-sum and the key is to improve around them as much as possible. With Harrington, Thomas, Jackson, Weatherspoon, and Anderson you can see us starting to do that.
RealGM Knicks Season Preview

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy