[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Spike Lee's Opinion
Author Thread
TRU
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #196
USA
11/17/2003  10:53 AM
"They have a lot of guys from New York City on their team. How come they get guys from New York and our whole team is from Utah? I don't get it."-- Spike Lee refering to the Indiana Pacers, who feature Ron Artest and Kenny Anderson.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
AUTOADVERT
TRU
Member: #196
USA
11/17/2003  11:01 AM
insightful commentary from the Journal News

"The fear is that the slump will reach a psychological state now, with players playing not so much poorly as tight, as if they are wondering what can go wrong next. This is not uncommon for teams with a losing culture, and the Knicks are no different.

Think about it: Dikembe Mutombo had his best game Saturday against Indiana, and the Knicks still lost. Kurt Thomas continued his rock-solid string of double-doubles, and they still lost. Keith Van Horn had his best half of the season, and they still lost. The point guards combined for 20 points, six rebounds, and seven assists, and they still lost.

They had a 50-29 party on the glass, shot a season-best 49 percent, and still lost. They demonstrated their best energy surge of any back-to-back game this season, and still lost."

I was at the game.. it was crazy entertaining. Don't really know if this team can ever get over the hump.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
11/17/2003  11:29 AM
Tru: this is a good post and the reason why I was so upset after the loss. but this loss only hurts this much when you are now 2-7 instead of 7-2, the fact is the knicks need to play perfect to win, and when they do play perfect and lose it is devestating. If this team was good enough to win games where they don't play so well then it would not be so hard to swallow, Games like this happen, where you do everything right and still lose, but there will also be games where you stunk it up and steal one, the problem is that never happens to the knicks, and never will with this team, that is why I am so confused with the reluctancy to just play the rookies, what more could it hurt?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
11/17/2003  11:30 AM
Management and player personnel are gonna have to be shaken up before anything really changes...

I read that Spike Lee comment too, and he's 100% right. We need that NY edge on this team. Indy is ballin right now, and that NY flavor in a significant factor IMO. Even if they are from somewhere else, as long as they are not (or not percieved as) soft. This team as presently configured lacks fire.

I'm sure that's why Spike wore a Spree jersey on the season opener as well.
If I were sitting courtside that night I would have done the SAME thing.

Last night Joe Benigno on WFAN criticized Spike for not speaking out about Dolan and LayDown's moves with the team and taking a more passive approach. He mentioned that since Spike is the best known Knicks fan at the Garden, there may be a remote possibility that Dolan would pay some attention if he makes his displeasure with the current situation known. Instead, all he says is "All I can do is just sit here"...
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/17/2003  11:45 AM
Posted by tkf:

Tru: this is a good post and the reason why I was so upset after the loss. but this loss only hurts this much when you are now 2-7 instead of 7-2, the fact is the knicks need to play perfect to win, and when they do play perfect and lose it is devestating. If this team was good enough to win games where they don't play so well then it would not be so hard to swallow, Games like this happen, where you do everything right and still lose, but there will also be games where you stunk it up and steal one, the problem is that never happens to the knicks, and never will with this team, that is why I am so confused with the reluctancy to just play the rookies, what more could it hurt?

How do you think we beat Orlando TKF? We played bad and still one the game REMEMBER? IT DID HAPPEN TO THE KNICKS ALREADY. You guys are almost depressing as the knicks loses with some of these post.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
NYK8
Member: #320
USA
11/17/2003  11:47 AM
tru good one.the knicks had this game in there pocket just like two other games and the stats proved it.but it just took one mistake from the knicks witch was Thoams n Ward fighting for the rebound.IMO should have would have been 5-4.home opener against magic,both bucks games but i'll take one,then the pacers game.
!!!Knicks!!!
playa2

11/17/2003  11:49 AM
Hardcore, Joe Beningo isn't shelling out 1500 dollars for seats that's why he talks so strong on WFAN. It's called celebrity row and spike is in that"Fraternity". P-Diddy can bad mouth because he's not there every night on celebrity row and doesn't belong to that particular Fraternity.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
11/17/2003  12:35 PM
Posted by TRU:

insightful commentary from the Journal News

"The fear is that the slump will reach a psychological state now, with players playing not so much poorly as tight, as if they are wondering what can go wrong next. This is not uncommon for teams with a losing culture, and the Knicks are no different.

Think about it: Dikembe Mutombo had his best game Saturday against Indiana, and the Knicks still lost. Kurt Thomas continued his rock-solid string of double-doubles, and they still lost. Keith Van Horn had his best half of the season, and they still lost. The point guards combined for 20 points, six rebounds, and seven assists, and they still lost.

They had a 50-29 party on the glass, shot a season-best 49 percent, and still lost. They demonstrated their best energy surge of any back-to-back game this season, and still lost."

I was at the game.. it was crazy entertaining. Don't really know if this team can ever get over the hump.
How about this quote:

Distributing the ball, dribbling and catching are skills that the Knicks have yet to master.

for the third time in four games, Chaney's team had more fourth-quarter turnovers than field goals. On Saturday, the Knicks committed eight turnovers and had six baskets in the fourth.

From an artcile in the 11/17 Daily News By Frank Isola

I don't think we need to look any further for the reason why the Knicks suck.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
11/17/2003  12:36 PM
What Benigno was trying to get across was whether Spike is a real Knicks fan like he claims to be or just another staple on celebrity row at the game to be seen...
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/17/2003  1:00 PM
I don't see what Spike could have said that the Newspapers aren't saying already. The Garden Brass knows how the fans feel but you know what they know they are going to showup anyways to watch the Knicks play.
DefAndReb
Member: #336
11/17/2003  1:24 PM
Dolan, Layden, Mills. They don't care what the press says, or what the fans say. They could not care less than they do now. Why would it matter to them? It's when Cablevision does its budget for the next fiscal year that decides whether or not Dolan cares. If he yells at Mills, then Mills cares. If Mills or Dolan yells at Layden, then Layden cares.

Chaney cares about the losses, because he knows that's the measuring stick for HIS job. But the media and the fans are meaningless to everyone but the media and fans ... and the players, because many of them have fragile egos.

HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
11/17/2003  1:27 PM
Not really. Attendance is down significantly. As the season progresses, the Knicks continue to regress.

Dolan may not care about what the fans think, but he'll be FORCED to make moves to improve the team (FOR REAL) and please the fans.

I am willing to tough this time of madness out, as long as some good comes of it at the end of the season. The shattering of Dolan's ego is instrumental in improving the team.

When even the blind, fickle and retarded fans (read: the Dolan/LayDown/Chaney fan and media club; the Spree haters/KVH fan club) start booing in and out of the Garden, Dalan will have to recognize. MSG will soon be a madhouse. To those who are smart enough to have the foresight and already see the writing on the wall as to just how bad things are gonna get, it already IS a damn madhouse.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
11/17/2003  1:34 PM
Posted by playa2:
Posted by tkf:

How do you think we beat Orlando TKF? We played bad and still one the game REMEMBER? IT DID HAPPEN TO THE KNICKS ALREADY. You guys are almost depressing as the knicks loses with some of these post.

Playa read between the lines chump, we won only because the magic were extremely inept!! what I am talking about is sometimes a team plays better but still loses, the knicks will never win a game like that, if the other team just plays average they will beat the knicks regardless and that is most of the time playa... don't be foolish..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
playa2

11/17/2003  3:44 PM
Ya getting like "CHUBBY CHECKER" now twisting ya way out of it. Just confess you were wrong NY won against the magic inspite of themselves.
bernard
Member: #475
11/17/2003  5:22 PM
The Knicks have been psyched out for more than 2 seasons now. How else do you explain all the late-game collapses. It is very hard to get out of the cycle. Look around the NBA. Who's done it recently? The Nets are the best example, and offer the pest prescription how. Get a superstar who's a winner to lead you.

You look at some of the other lousy teams in the league who've stayed lousy year after year ... coming into each season there's reason to hope on these teams as their talent often isn't half bad (Clippers, Bulls, Atlanta, Etc.) but they dissapoint because they don't have a leader who knows how to win.

That's why I'd be pumped if we could land Kobe next year ... and would give up anything and everything to do it. You get a guy to build around, then you can have real cause for hope while you're building.
Spike Lee's Opinion

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy