[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is Sweetney a bust?
Author Thread
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
11/11/2003  9:11 AM
I'm just about ready to admit he is. I know it's early, and he hasn't gotten much run, but he looks worse than mediocre out there. His defense, in particular, is awfully weak. He didn't tear up summer league or preseason.

I know, many rookies take a long time to develop, sometimes even years. But those guys typically have tools they need to refine. What tools does Sweetney have?

Only guy that comes to my mind who, despite less than NBA-average athleticism, made huge strides in his game from beginning of rookie year is Nets' Collins. Can anyone think of others that should give us reason to hope?
AUTOADVERT
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
11/11/2003  10:30 AM
I don't know -- I haven't seen enough of Sweetney to have an opinion. One thing I have noticed though: Rookies don't do well on the Knicks.
Posted by bernard:

I'm just about ready to admit he is. I know it's early, and he hasn't gotten much run, but he looks worse than mediocre out there. His defense, in particular, is awfully weak. He didn't tear up summer league or preseason.

I know, many rookies take a long time to develop, sometimes even years. But those guys typically have tools they need to refine. What tools does Sweetney have?

Only guy that comes to my mind who, despite less than NBA-average athleticism, made huge strides in his game from beginning of rookie year is Nets' Collins. Can anyone think of others that should give us reason to hope?
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/11/2003  10:49 AM
IN the begining rookies thrive on easy opportunities, and gradually build on those and their confidence increases. With the KNicks ther is no easy opps. So building arook up is difficult. Sweetney is good right now he just doesn't see time of day on a consistent basis. He really has nothing to build on. Give him consistent minutes and he will produce increase easy opps like getting easy baskets cutting to the hoop. Right now bith he and Frank Williams are thinking instead of being instinctive that comes with PT.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
11/11/2003  12:48 PM
Sweets is no bust. He gotta get enough burn to make a solid contribution. I just wish he had more ups.

We have to clear the jam @ the 4 and then Sweetney will get more playtime.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
11/11/2003  1:49 PM
I am with you Hardcore...I think the kid can play and will get better, they should put him in more often...too bad we have too many 4's. But the team isnt doing well now anyway so why not let him improve a little?
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
rain
Member: #353
USA
11/11/2003  3:39 PM
Sweetney will have a tough time in the league until he gets his body together, which he has begun to do... ala Malik Rose. Unfortunately, for us, that is bit of a ways off. I would have liked more impact at #9... or a trade down... Boris Diaw/Jarvis Hayes/Pietrus were higher ceiling type guys.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
11/11/2003  4:06 PM
If we aren't calling F-Will a bust yet, I think its a little too early to start labeling Sweetney that way. Lets give the kid a chance along with Lampe - we ll know this team is being mismanaged from the ownership all the way down so you can't really blame the players. It is all a product of the way the team is run.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Is Sweetney a bust?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy