[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

COACHING
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/6/2003  8:51 AM
TIM LEGLER (ESPN) said it best when he stated the "Most NBA coaches coach one way and don't adjust their coaching to their fit their talent."

This is truly a lost art in the coaching ranks. Bottom line, today's coaches with a few exceptions have become as one-dimensional as many of the players they coach. Which is why when I hear how great the coaches are in the NBA (see JVG/GEORGE KARL) I laugh

Great coaches:

The two REDS (AUERBACH/HOLZMAN)

JACK RAMSEY

PHIL JACKSON

JERRY SLOAN

LARRY BROWN
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/6/2003  8:59 AM
How about Riles? Seems to me he should be on the list. And I don't know if it's because I am a Knicks fan, but I never thought Phil Jackson was an all-time great coach. Good, yes; right place at the right time, yes; great, I don't know.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Snowman
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #458
Iceland
11/6/2003  9:11 AM
Yet another game NON-CHANEY loses for the team !!! He refused to go back to the zone that got them the lead !!! Even the BUCKS players said they were glad he didn't go back to the zone !!! STUPID !!!
What does DICK CHANEY & DON CHANEY have in common ?? They both accidentally fell into a job they don't deserve & really suck at doing it !!!! Both need to be fired !!!
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/6/2003  9:12 AM
I agree. You have to put Riley up there. Phil Jackson must be ommitted. The only Phil was good at was picking the correct situation. He is good not great.
playa2

11/6/2003  9:18 AM
Riley yes pre-miami heat though
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
NYKBocker
USA
11/6/2003  9:18 AM
Posted by Snowman:

Yet another game NON-CHANEY loses for the team !!! He refused to go back to the zone that got them the lead !!! Even the BUCKS players said they were glad he didn't go back to the zone !!! STUPID !!!

I finally got to watch a whole game last night. The thing I noticed about Chaney is that he is a horrible tactician, stubborn and his substitution patterns are awful. His Xs and Os are OK but even his game management is in question. I remember last year he would use up all his timeouts before the last 3 minutes.

He needs to go, but if you do does that mean we give up on the season? If we do, who replaces him?

Maybe that is why Doug Collins is doing color with Marv now (once in awhile).

Another thing I noticed... Is Chaney showcasing Othella and Spoon? I hope that is the reason he benched Deke and Doleac.
NYKBocker
USA
11/6/2003  9:24 AM
Posted by playa2:

Riley yes pre-miami heat though

He messed up in Miami because he was a suspect GM.
bernard
Member: #475
11/6/2003  9:35 AM
I find the Zen Master's persona incredibly irritating ... he's smug, self righteous, pseudo intellectual, etc. But you can't argue with results. The guy has won and won big ... on two teams very different teams. If you start questioning whether to give credit to players or coaches on winning teams, then you have to put an asterisk next to Red Auerbach and Riley too. That Celtic squad was dominant, and I believe the Magic Lakers was the best accumulation of basketball talent ever.

Jordan's Bulls and Shaq's Lakers (sorry, Kobe) were both plenty flawed. Each had 2 great players surrounded by some good and some questionable role players. Compare those teams to the 60's Celtics or the 80's Lakers ... they just don't stack up. Granted, neither did their competition.

Bottom line, have trouble not giving credit to someone who's won so often.
playa2

11/6/2003  6:06 PM
It's easier to sit Sweets than take minutes from Van Horn. It's easier to sit Frank than Eisley. Easier to put Lampe in a IR than cut into Thomas' minutes. I'm just looking at the roster as any coach might and attempting to make some hard calls.

The next great move for Chaney will be who gets frontcourt minutes when McDyess starts feelin' it.

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
11/6/2003  7:17 PM
The next great move by Chaney will be his FIRST!
COACHING

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy