[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Breaking news: One point guard away
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/3/2003  8:00 AM
Bobcats executive Ed Tapscott was vilified in New York for the one major move he made as the Knicks' interim general manager: Using the 15th overall pick in 1999 on Frederic Weis, a French center who never played in the NBA.

But here's the side of that story you don't generally hear: Tapscott had a deal worked out to trade that 15th pick and point guard Chris Childs to Toronto for the fifth pick. Tapscott intended to choose point guard Andre Miller at No. 5, but he never consummated that deal because then-Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy was lukewarm on Miller.

Miller went to the Cleveland Cavaliers with the eighth pick, and led the NBA in assists his third season there. As recently as this preseason, Knicks coach Don Chaney said his team still doesn't have a reliable point guard.

They'd have one if Tapscott had ignored Van Gundy's second-guessing and selected Miller."

Now if you can understand me now why I blast him all the time because Jeff did more behind the scenes damage than most knicks fans understood. Tapscott probably got back at jeff by picking weiss, this is the inner squabbling that avg fans never hear about! Like I said before I really knew this guy was a snake!

https://registration.realcities.com/reg/login.do?url=
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.charlotte.com%2Fmld%2Fobserver%2Fsports%2F7162873.htm%3FERIGHTS%3D4194803882354057465charlotte
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
11/3/2003  8:25 AM
Revisionist History. What else is Tapscott going to say about picking Weiss? The move is indefensible! So why didn't he take Artest then? He was the GM, he should have made the final decision like a real GM would have.

Come on now, you are really scraping the barrel now aren't you?

So how come you are not posting anything about NY's offensive woes? Hmmmm? YOUR boy Chaney does not look so great right now does he?
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
11/3/2003  10:59 AM
Breaking News? More like its already been discussed to no end and now JVG is coaching another team and it really doesn't matter now. Maybe in Charlotte it is new news, but that rumor has been all over the NY papers.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
playa2

11/3/2003  12:10 PM
Anybody with a half a brain knows that Artest with his "queensbridge posse" would have had him in trouble all the time playing in NY. Cmon GONY
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
11/3/2003  1:01 PM
Man I think Artest would have been perfect in NY. He would've clashed with the softees and maybe management, buyt we would at least be in a better position that we are now.

I never knew that bit about Tapscott...
But he should've made some kind of deal happen to justify the move. That pick ended up a waste, bottom line.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
GoNyGoNyGo
USA
11/3/2003  2:21 PM
Ok, so you dont like Artest? What about these guys who were all available when Weiss was picked.

Artest
Posey
Glover
Jeff Foster
Kenny Thomas
Andrei Kirilenko
Scott Padgett
Gordon Giricek
Emmanuel Ginoboli
GoNyGoNyGo
USA
11/3/2003  2:38 PM
ALl of those guys are players at the very least.

Is Weiss? Tapscost was the GM, the has final say. You ALWAYS draft the best player if you don't draft for POSITION!!!

Weiss was not the best player available.
playa2

11/3/2003  2:41 PM
Don't get me wrong I like Artest , but in NY he would have been a messand that is my only point. Tapscott probaly got back at jeff for not taking Miller by sticking him with a stiff in Weiss. His lil egomaniac tendencies is what made tapscott not help the point gaurd position that we still smart over till this day.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/3/2003  2:59 PM
Posted by playa2:

Don't get me wrong I like Artest , but in NY he would have been a messand that is my only point. Tapscott probaly got back at jeff for not taking Miller by sticking him with a stiff in Weiss. His lil egomaniac tendencies is what made tapscott not help the point gaurd position that we still smart over till this day.

I can't blame JVG for Tapscott's creul intentions because by taking it out on JVG he indirectly took it out on the NYK fans and that to me is a big no no. It was Tapscott's call and he blew it.
metra
Member: #473
11/3/2003  4:04 PM
Obviously with 20/20 hindsight youre gonna see the things that were right and that were wrong... Its not hard to see the mistakes after they happened. It is, however, hard to appreciate what was good in the past.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
11/3/2003  7:40 PM
Posted by playa2:

No GM is stupid enough to ruin a draft pick out of spite for the coach. This was a selection that was ill advised, say whatever you want but he didnt do it because he din't like JVG - he did it because the information he had was wrong or he just used extremly poor judgement.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
playa2

11/3/2003  8:00 PM
Tapscott, wasn't the real GM WAS HE? Interim I believe.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
11/3/2003  9:27 PM
Posted by playa2:

Tapscott, wasn't the real GM WAS HE? Interim I believe.

Yup, Ed Tapscott was the interim GM after Ernie Grunfeld got chopped.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
playa2

11/4/2003  8:03 AM
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by playa2:

I can't blame JVG for Tapscott's creul intentions because by taking it out on JVG he indirectly took it out on the NYK fans and that to me is a big no no. It was Tapscott's call and he blew it.

Tell me then VMART, why didn't jeff want ANDRE MILLER? He wanted a point guard like ward who needs help running the point so he could exercise his ego and have input. With Miller he would have had a guy who could improvise without Gundy's help.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
11/4/2003  9:36 AM
JVG didn't want Miller bacause he didn't think a rookie point guard would help him win a champoinship the next year...that is what he was looking to do. Miller might have proved that theory wrong, but we will never know.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/4/2003  5:09 PM
Ernie picked Weiss. I remember him talking about it on the Fan after it happened. He said they scouted him heavily and they saw him being a very valueable player as Ewing got older.

It wasnt a good draft, that much is obvious, but its not like picking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Breaking news: One point guard away

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy