[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

FIRE Chaney.
Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
10/29/2003  10:49 PM
Chaney's coaching has always been questionable... keeping Eisley in the game till the end when the team hadn't scored a bucket in 5 minutes plus was unbelievable.

I'm not going to blame this loss on Houston. The guy played like 48 minutes on a bad knee. So much for pacing his rehab. The Knicks are practically begging to put Houston on the shelf for a long time.

KVH played like a champ--- there's no fault there in that missed rebound toward the end of regulation--- you wonder if Mutombo should have been brought in for a few possessions.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
10/29/2003  11:10 PM
That was a badly coached game by Chaney at the end. If he keeps this up he should be gone.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

10/30/2003  7:06 AM
Chaney susbstituitions was a little suspect last night for sure, but 27 turnovers who is he gonna put in to curb that?
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
10/30/2003  8:18 AM
here are some of chaney's great points and bad points. first, he had the right defensive strategy for the magic. it was the same one that detroit used in the playoffs. get it out of mcgrady's hands and let others beat you. it worked in the first three quarters as everyone was out of rythm. then gooden and others started finding their shots while mcgrady started to drive the lane in a mutumbo- less paint. but the downside was no one was scoring on our team but van horn. we were not getting key baskets. thomas and houston looked awful which brings me to my next point.

the most critical error is the substitution. houston looked awful and was limping. you take him out. he was not producing offensively and defensively he was a liability at the end. we were up by ten. you need to stress defense at that point. anderson was a better defender than houston because of his quickness and athletisism. rest houston just in case. and that case happened last night. when van horn received his 5th foul, take him out. yeah, you are up by a decent margin but you are dealing with a one man army with mcgrady who can catch wreck at any time. as a fan, i knew what mcgrady can do. did'nt chaney have a clue? his offensive scemes were horrible. he did a pick and roll with thomas but thomas was shooting constantly out of his range. these were designed plays so it was not thomas' fault. his shot is at the elbow of the free throm line, not just inside the three point circle. chaney had to establish that thomas needs to get into a rythm. then the knicks would have been tough to beat. but instead, thomas was out of sync as well as houston.

overall, i thought the team as whole were decent. we played well despite houston and thomas contributing very little. but, like i said before, houston's injury is very troubling and the knicks brass is acting ho-hum about it. they have a long season so they do not need to aggravate another injury with another star player. what is worse is that we kind of needed that game. now we are going to the hard part of our schedule with the pissed off spurs waiting on saturday. that will be ugly.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
10/30/2003  9:00 AM
Posted by jazz74:

overall, i thought the team as whole were decent.

isn't that what we were all saying after every loss last year?
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
playa2

10/30/2003  9:15 AM
But that was with less talent.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/30/2003  9:46 AM
Chaney started out great in his defensive scheme which was to incorporate a zone defense. His offensive scheme was horrible, if it wasn't for KVH the Magic would have blown us away. I question sitting Deke for a long stretch late in the 4th when the Magic made their run. Isn't Deke our defensive monster? He had KVH playing center in the zone with KT and Shandon at the forward spots. The magic just picked which side to penetrate(either Houston or KT side) and drove to the basket to get KVH his 6th foul.

When the Magic was making their run I was waiting for Ward and Deke to come back in for defense.

Don, Don, Don... I am giving you the benefit of the doubt but if this keeps happening I might have to agree with the title of this thread.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
10/30/2003  11:03 AM
Terrible coaching by Chaney. No Deke, no Ward, no chance. It's no coincidence that Deke, Ward and KVH were the difference makers in the game. The fact that Chaney played Eisley and Doleac instead is more than a little questionable.
jazz74
Member: #371
10/30/2003  11:03 AM
i will put it to you this way. this is the first time that our "starting" team was put on the floor together in a game and second time ever. i fully thought, with a revamped magic team and mcgrady seeing red every time he sees a knick uniform, that we would get blown out. especially with the injury reports with houston and remember van horn was coming back from an injury too. i mean houston, our best player from last year, was visibly ailing and we could have won the game against a good team. but the same problem arose from the past couple of years, we can not close out teams. so if you look at it from that percpective, yeah we did decent. not great because we would be 1-0 if we were.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
10/30/2003  11:12 AM
If Chaney coaches it right, that's a win. The Magic frontline was helpless trying to score on ours when we had Mutumbo, Thomas and Van Horn in there. Furthermore, Eisley? Come on. Everytime Eisley has the ball in the 4th quarter or in a big moment he blows it? The guy is a dumb player, plain and simple.
Snowman
Member: #458
Iceland
10/30/2003  12:30 PM
KNICKBOCKER: beautifully said !!!!
What does DICK CHANEY & DON CHANEY have in common ?? They both accidentally fell into a job they don't deserve & really suck at doing it !!!! Both need to be fired !!!
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/30/2003  2:00 PM
Why did he take Van horn out with about 3min left in the 3rd and on;y put him back in with under 8 to go in the 4th! He does that way too often. I don't understand the logic. He used to sit houston in the beginning of the 4th when he was doing good and leave spree in. When Van horn finally got back in game he was cold and picked up fouls. Someone help me understand this idoit's logic? I'm so pissed off, we can afford to lose these games where we play we enough to win! Is not a coincidence that all we have been doing is blowing 4th quarter leads the last 2yrs under Chaney.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
10/30/2003  4:06 PM
Bill Lambeer, Cooper are the coaches the Knicks need to be targeting to coach this team. We now know that you can give Chaney shaq and Kobe and he will manage to screw that up. His managerial decisions are just not well thought out. No wonder he was fired after being coach of the year witht the rockets. He isn't very good coach and I hope people see him for what he is. He is an assistant coach nothing more nothing less. I just want to say that he is thriving on the opportunity the NYK organization has given to him even though he isn't very good at coaching I think he should look at himself and think that way with the rookies these guys need a chance after all he has been given a chance and he sucks at being a coach. I hope in his last days with the Knicks before he gets canned he realizes that he was given a chance and he should take that and give the rooks a chance too.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
10/30/2003  4:37 PM
I love this thread, it is everything I have been saying since Chaney was hired as head coach. He just doesnt work with this team, go find someone who can manage these players and make smart decisions. Look what the Red Sox did to their manager when he blew pulling Pedro out. As coach you are paid to make the touch decisions, when you consistently make the wrong ones then you need to go find a new job. Send Chaney packing.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Snowman
Member: #458
Iceland
10/30/2003  4:52 PM
I MUST ADMIT I DID LOVE HIS ZONE SWITCHES EARLY IN THE GAME, going from man to zone was nice
What does DICK CHANEY & DON CHANEY have in common ?? They both accidentally fell into a job they don't deserve & really suck at doing it !!!! Both need to be fired !!!
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
10/30/2003  8:29 PM
I just don't get the huge minutes for Houston. Granted, we don't have a backup, but how many times did Houston either have the ball deflected away or dribble off someone's knees? His ball handling was sloppy, probably cuz he's dragging his leg a little.

Houston was, however, actually doing a pretty decent job on McGrady (w/ the help of the zone D), until the collapse with a minute left.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
playa2

10/30/2003  10:06 PM
If Houston is gonna play hurt like that we "MUST" play a zone on defense because rotating will always leave a man open for an uncontested 3 pt shot.
playa2

10/31/2003  8:36 AM
CHANEY ADMITTED THAT HE PLAYED EISLEY TOO LONG AGAINST THE MAGIC,BUT ALSO SAID HE DIDN'T HAVE ANYBODY TO PUT IN TO HELP SCORE INSTEAD OF ALLAN HOUSTON. HMMMM
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/31/2003  10:19 AM
Posted by Vmart:

Bill Lambeer, Cooper are the coaches the Knicks need to be targeting to coach this team. We now know that you can give Chaney shaq and Kobe and he will manage to screw that up. His managerial decisions are just not well thought out. No wonder he was fired after being coach of the year witht the rockets. He isn't very good coach and I hope people see him for what he is. He is an assistant coach nothing more nothing less. I just want to say that he is thriving on the opportunity the NYK organization has given to him even though he isn't very good at coaching I think he should look at himself and think that way with the rookies these guys need a chance after all he has been given a chance and he sucks at being a coach. I hope in his last days with the Knicks before he gets canned he realizes that he was given a chance and he should take that and give the rooks a chance too.

WHAT? Bill Laimbeer?!?! Are you kidding me? He is up there on my list of hated players. I will never forgive him for his antics against Ewing. I don't care that he looks like a good coach. The answer is NO. OK. OK. Sorry, but you opened a deeep hurt.

As for changing coaches... I am willing to look at Calipari. He seems a little slimy but I liked his coaching abilities.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
10/31/2003  10:29 AM
ONce he is pacing on the NYK sideline you are going to love his antics. . This is the type of guy the knicks need someone who has learned under one of the greatest coaches Chuck Daily. He would bring toughness to this team and to top it off he would be great influence on the young players.
FIRE Chaney.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy