Brook Lopez
Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/13/2009  4:08 PM
Posted by sebstar:

Why the comparisons to Bogut? Is Bogut in some rarified All-Star air or something? I thought the consensus was that he was a borderline bust? Yao had a huge adjustment to make, going from China to the league, and besides everybody knows he has a marshmellow game anyway.

Right now, Lopez is putting up serviceable big man numbers. He could go either way.

I wouldn't say that. You have to remember that though he's enormous, it's not natural for such a tall person to be an athlete of any sort. Maybe his offense isn't tough as nails, but he's made the absolute most of what he's got and he's known as maybe one of THE hardest workers in the entire league. In my book, he's tough.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
1/13/2009  4:24 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:
Posted by sebstar:

Why the comparisons to Bogut? Is Bogut in some rarified All-Star air or something? I thought the consensus was that he was a borderline bust? Yao had a huge adjustment to make, going from China to the league, and besides everybody knows he has a marshmellow game anyway.

Right now, Lopez is putting up serviceable big man numbers. He could go either way.

I wouldn't say that. You have to remember that though he's enormous, it's not natural for such a tall person to be an athlete of any sort. Maybe his offense isn't tough as nails, but he's made the absolute most of what he's got and he's known as maybe one of THE hardest workers in the entire league. In my book, he's tough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svsHlH-IvbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifIKPjm-EJA
My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/13/2009  5:40 PM
Posted by Knicksfansince94:

Is anyone else troubled by the fact that Mr. Brook Lopez looks like he is mentally retarded?

He is a retard. I'd rather have Kelly Tripucka on our team, at this age, than a full-blown retard.

oh that's mean. the guy gives great interviews. he's quick and witty. those outsized stanford twins are just a little weird that's all (see collins.twins)
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
1/13/2009  6:05 PM
Posted by sebstar:

Besides blocks, Lee puts up better numbers in his sleep.

David Lee is 25 years old and playing in his 4th season. Let's say this, I only wish David Lee could have put up Brook Lopez's numbers in his rookie year. Everything is relative. By the way, I wouldn't just cast away blocking stats. That is one of the problems that this team is currently facing on every night they take the court.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
1/13/2009  6:05 PM
The comparison I heard alot around the draft was Brad Daugherty who was a cornerstone center. The Knicks messed up bad in the draft. Thorn has been a remarkable gm for the Nets and he rarely makes mistakes.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/13/2009  6:14 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by sebstar:

David Lee is 25 years old and playing in his 4th season. Let's say this, I only wish David Lee could have put up Brook Lopez's numbers in his rookie year. Everything is relative. By the way, I wouldn't just cast away blocking stats. That is one of the problems that this team is currently facing on every night they take the court.

on a per 30 minute basis, Lee in his rookie year is putting up similar stats to Lopez. They play different positions and Lee was off the bench, so it's hard to compare them.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
1/13/2009  6:18 PM
Posted by sebstar:

because they both play similar style games... & no one said Bogut was some rarified Allstar either... the point i was making is that right now Lopez is a lot closer to Bogut than he is to Tim Duncan.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

1/13/2009  6:20 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by franco12:

he would probably be putting up 15 & 10 in our system with our lack of depth, and would be looking like a ROY candidate.

Good read by Walsh.

And did he say they couldn't get the draft pick wrong, or did he say they were going to **** it up anyway, because nothing matters but 2010?

I think this is a tough call. While on hindsight I think it's a no-brainer pick--you have to adjust your believe in terms of who was coaching the team. This guy DOES NONT want a C--he doesn't. On top of it Gallinari was a lock--they obviously promised him the pick--which I hate in most cases. I can see why the two teams below us didnt take him and you might have cases of what teams thought were BPA above us--but you have a hard time as a Knick fan believing that he wasnt BPA in a need position at 6. I still believe that even if we traded down and picking 16th and Brook Lopez was still on the board we would not take him. Mike Dantoni does not want a C--he wants an athletic 4 playing the C spot and a mobile 3-4 playing PF. So don't second guess it--it was never going to happen even thought there is a lot of reasons we should have the player.

To some degree I think Donnie was in a tough place with this 1st pick.

It's likely he went to D'Antoni and (at a minimum) asked him what are you looking for in a player. D'Antoni probably gave him the - I need someone who is smart, can shoot on the perimeter, pass and handle the ball and who can play multiple positions.

If Donnie is in Indiana -- I tend to see him going with the big.

Here - with D'Antoni coming on board if he picked Lopez and the kid couldn't get out of his way in this system we all would have been on him. He went with the most versitile skill set he felt was available. It's also likely they didn't want to go for a scoring combo guard as it's been publicized that Westbrook would have been taken if available.

Here's hoping that Gallo has some magic in those hands of his and becomes a very good player for us.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
1/13/2009  6:34 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by sebstar:

on a per 30 minute basis, Lee in his rookie year is putting up similar stats to Lopez. They play different positions and Lee was off the bench, so it's hard to compare them.

Well I am focusing on them lovely blocks per game. I crave for some blocks from any Knick player.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Member: #1126
USA
1/13/2009  8:38 PM
Posted by TheGame:

I have no clue why we did not move back for either him or Augustin. We had a need at the pg (since we all knew Marbury was unlikely to be welcomed back) and center (since we all knew Curry was not the long term solution) position and Walsh drafts a PF, when we already had Lee and Randolph on the team.

I have been about getting a center since Ewing left. It's been the biggest sore spot on this team for almost ten years now. You always solidify your center position to have some major force of defense on your team. And then you go after a point guard. The two main ingredients to building an offensive and defensive team. And then' if your really smart, you'd of saved some cap space to go after a free agent superstar forward to make it a team.

Instead they have done nothing but concentrate on trying to get that all important PF guy who never pans out. They passed on Bynum and now they passed on Lopez. If they finally decide to get a center in the next draft, there's no guarantee that there will be a good one out there next time.

I think the Knicks got scared off when they drafted that boner of a life, Fredrick Veese or whatever his name was.
I'll never trust this' team again.
USA
1/13/2009  8:46 PM
Posted by Knicksfan:
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by franco12:

he would probably be putting up 15 & 10 in our system with our lack of depth, and would be looking like a ROY candidate.

Good read by Walsh.

And did he say they couldn't get the draft pick wrong, or did he say they were going to **** it up anyway, because nothing matters but 2010?

I think this is a tough call. While on hindsight I think it's a no-brainer pick--you have to adjust your believe in terms of who was coaching the team. This guy DOES NONT want a C--he doesn't. On top of it Gallinari was a lock--they obviously promised him the pick--which I hate in most cases. I can see why the two teams below us didnt take him and you might have cases of what teams thought were BPA above us--but you have a hard time as a Knick fan believing that he wasnt BPA in a need position at 6. I still believe that even if we traded down and picking 16th and Brook Lopez was still on the board we would not take him. Mike Dantoni does not want a C--he wants an athletic 4 playing the C spot and a mobile 3-4 playing PF. So don't second guess it--it was never going to happen even thought there is a lot of reasons we should have the player.

It may only be an opinion, but I hardly doubt that a GM who has a rebuilding process in his hands will not pick a good player just because the coach, and this is the myth around here not necessarily true, doesn't like the player or its not "his style". I think that if Lopez had been the unanimous best player available at the position, he would've taken him. But fact is that even here it was discussed how after pick three or four, the rest of the draft was even in terms of talent. Many wanted to buy another first rounder because of that.

Its easy to look now at a player's production and wish we would've drafted him, but that will always happen. Many here didn't believe Lopez was worth the 6th pick, but now that he is playing great, everyone wanted him. How easy.

Keep torturing yourselves with other rookies' production, but that won't change the fact that we made our pick and can't change that. The best news out there is that Gallo may be a week or so from playing. We'll see what he can do in the future.

It's not about torture. It's about learning from past mistakes and making better one's next time. Whether any of us were for it or against it, if people can come forward and say we should've this or we should've of that, then it shows that people learn. I'd be worried if people said it wouldn't of mattered anyway. Who has the foresight to see what could be and what to stay away from? It's important foundational judgement at hand. That's my opinion.
USA
1/13/2009  8:50 PM
Posted by tkf:

Brook had a good game, vs a bad front line.. I am suprised as I really don't like the guy, but for kicks, here are his past few game stats..

8/8
17/8
3/8
12/8
7/11
23/12
9/8
6/13
14/7
2/8

Again some good games, and some duds... So no need to get overly excited and annoint rod thorn god...

I will say this, I am more impressed with Herman Munster's play with the nets, than I am with Greg oden... So far I have heard every excuse for oden, the guy who was supposed to be the Lebron of big men. At this point, Lopez just looks better, and that is not saying a whole heck of a lot...

Be fair and don't leave out the facts. Brook averages 29 minutes a game. Last night he put up 40:54 minutes and he was given 'your the man tonight mantle'. I agree, it would be worth more if he can put up similar numbers against a .500 plus team. But this thread is about his potential at this point.
USA
1/13/2009  8:56 PM
Posted by DarkKnicks:

I was one of the few who wanted Lopez. And believe me, I DO LIKE the fact that he is not very athletic. As BRIGGS once said, he reminds me a little bit of Tim Duncan too. He is not that soft as many people said.

I agree with this.
USA
1/13/2009  9:00 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by sebstar:
Posted by tkf:

Brook had a good game, vs a bad front line.. I am suprised as I really don't like the guy, but for kicks, here are his past few game stats..

8/8
17/8
3/8
12/8
7/11
23/12
9/8
6/13
14/7
2/8

Again some good games, and some duds... So no need to get overly excited and annoint rod thorn god...

I will say this, I am more impressed with Herman Munster's play with the nets, than I am with Greg oden... So far I have heard every excuse for oden, the guy who was supposed to be the Lebron of big men. At this point, Lopez just looks better, and that is not saying a whole heck of a lot...

Good post, TKF. Bringing those pesky facts to the fore. Seems like he is not as consistent as one might have thought.

Lopez = Next Channing Frye?

If someone who has actually been watching Brook Lopez and thinks he is the next Channing Frye etc.. needs to adjust their glasses. Brook Lopez is huge skilled mentally tough and will get much better. You are seeing glimpses of what he can do. The guy is a version of Tim Duncan and that will play out over time.

You know BRIGGS, I do remember you coming to bat for Brook. Good observations. Some people fail to see that he's only 21 years old and he's a rook getting lots of exposure so early in his career.
USA
1/13/2009  9:02 PM
Posted by TMS:

i think Brooke Lopez is a lot closer to Andrew Bogut than he is Tim Duncan personally... but he's a good young player & right now i would definitely rather have him than Gallo... but again, hindsight & i still haven't seen what Gallo can do.

The only thing that could put this Bynum, Lopez thing to rest is if Galo comes out firing and makes it worth all of our whiles to see the superstar in him. Because that's what it's going to take.
USA
1/13/2009  9:04 PM
Posted by TMS:

comparing Lopez to Tim Duncan is pretty farfetched too

Brook Lopez
10.7pts 8.0rbs 2.0blks

Tim Duncan
20.4pts 10.1rbs 1.8blks

Andrew Bogut
11.8pts 10.5rbs 1.0blks

Are the Tim Duncan stats his rookie year?
TMS
USA
1/13/2009  9:24 PM
Posted by 4949:
Posted by TMS:

Brook Lopez
10.7pts 8.0rbs 2.0blks

Tim Duncan
20.4pts 10.1rbs 1.8blks

Andrew Bogut
11.8pts 10.5rbs 1.0blks

LOL... dude, Tim Duncan like 21 / 12 / 3 his rookie season.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
USA
1/13/2009  9:47 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by 4949:
Posted by TMS:

Brook Lopez
10.7pts 8.0rbs 2.0blks

Tim Duncan
20.4pts 10.1rbs 1.8blks

Andrew Bogut
11.8pts 10.5rbs 1.0blks

Okay, well obviously Brook is no Duncan his rookie year, but he does remind a little of him. We'll see what happens.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
1/13/2009  9:47 PM
Posted by sebstar:
Posted by tkf:

8/8
17/8
3/8
12/8
7/11
23/12
9/8
6/13
14/7
2/8

Good post, TKF. Bringing those pesky facts to the fore. Seems like he is not as consistent as one might have thought.

Lopez = Next Channing Frye?

I think he will be better than frye because of his size, and he has a post shot, frye just had a jumper... but I think he is closer to bogut as someone mentioned, but maybe not as good...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
USA
1/13/2009  9:53 PM
Posted by 4949:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by 4949:
Posted by TMS:

Brook Lopez
10.7pts 8.0rbs 2.0blks

Tim Duncan
20.4pts 10.1rbs 1.8blks

Andrew Bogut
11.8pts 10.5rbs 1.0blks

Okay, well obviously Brook is no Duncan his rookie year, but he does remind a little of him. We'll see what happens.

other than being 7 feet tall, i personally don't see many similarities between the 2... but like u said, we'll see what happens... i still think he'll end up being a lot closer to Bogut than Duncan when all is said & done, but i'm guessing along w/u.
Brook Lopez

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy