[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

This is why you dont take a 6-10 Euro 6 especially when you need a C
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/16/2008  8:59 AM
anyone who truly believes the Euro Leagues will help a young player more than American CBB is wrong IMHO--the speed and the athletic ability still mirrors the NBA much more so than those other leagues. Im not saying that you cant be good or great from Europe but taking a player so high has way to much risk. I asked before the draft what is the difference between Ryan Andersen and Gallinari and my bet is NOTHING. Same size same game same athletic ability although Andersen appears to be a better rebounder. We would be rolling around if Gallinari had even close to these numbers. And to think the Nets were able to land Brook Lopez on top of this player--why didnt we move back and get the 2-1 value? It's because every year the Knick fixate on one player and it hasnt worked out very well.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4483

Also--do some homework---if we land in the playoffs at 19 or so--we will have very little chance to get a C--there are no Javale Mcgee's at 18 this year--all of those Cs came out--we dont haev a pick in 2010--so we wont be able to address the C spot for years. Better get Curry back in shape.

[Edited by - BRIGGS on 11-16-2008 09:01 AM]
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/16/2008  9:15 AM
I'm a huge CBB fan and I dont disagree with your premise in terms of CBB competition vs, Euro comp....However, the jury is still out on Danillo. Know one can say for sure if Anderson is in the same league as Danillo because Danillo hasn't played. How can you say he appears top be.....hell, and any healthy warm body wearing an NBA Uniform thats able to get up and down the court looks better than Danillo right now.

The mistake wasn't that the Knicks took a Euro player, the mistake was they may have taken a player who may be damaged goods, whether he was from Euro or Georgetown.
TheGame
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1154
USA
11/16/2008  9:23 AM
I don't disagree with moving back. I would have loved to move back to 9-11 and gotten Lopez or Bayless. But as for DG, I actually think the kid can play. He looked good in the limited time that he played. He showed that he was quicker than expected and would fight for rebounds and steals. He also displayed a jumpshot that is probably equal or better than anyone on this team now. If he can get the back isuse resolved, I think he will be a solid player for us. That of course is a big if though. I personally would not have picked him, but I think it is still too early to say he was a bad pick.
Trust the Process
Uptown

11/16/2008  9:33 AM
As I said, I somewhat agree you on the idea that CBB may more assimulate the NBA game as oppose to the Euro game but check this article out on Brandon Jennings progression in the Euro league thus far. Its only been 9 games, but he's struggling right now. Be sure that if Jennings was at Arizona right now, not only would he be starting, but he would be putting up all world numbers similar to D Rose, and E Gordon last year as they played Valpairaso, and Osh Kosh State....

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brandon-Jennings-1114/

[Edited by - uptown on 11-16-2008 09:34 AM]
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
11/16/2008  10:10 AM
1. Who ever heard of Charles Oakley or Ben Wallace in college?

2. What does any of this hafta do with Euro late pick Tony Parker?

3. If Haseem Thabeet is an immigrant like Hakeem does he qualify as a non-Euro?

No matter what country you are from, the draft is a crapshoot

The fact remains that Walsh inherited a decent array of talent under the age of 28. Under the inspirational leadership of Coach Dan, our beloved Knicks are moving in a positive direction. Rome, New York wasn't built in a few months.

Read my lips. Keep Gallinari.

Save the "I told you so" for next season.
once a knick always a knick
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/16/2008  10:31 AM
This is just so premature. We haven't come close to seeing what Gallo's really got. It's just a bad setback to have an injured back before he had a chance to get started. It all depends on how he heals. You might have a totally different opinion of him if he was able to play right now.

I'll wait to see how he does when he's able to play again.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/16/2008  11:01 AM
I don't think it is premature because I think most of the guys mentioned are better and were better at the draft. I have been pretty critical of Walsh but the draft is the only thing during his tenure that you can really rip apart so far. NJ got Andersen and Lopez. Lopez looks like an 18 and 10 guy and Anderson looks like a solid starter. There was alot of talent available in this past draft. Many draft gurus were rating it one of the best. To get what the Knicks got with the 6th pick was a disaster. I also was concerned that for the second year in a row everyone knew who the Knicks were taking. I also think that at some point the franchise should draft for a position other than small forward.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/16/2008  11:06 AM
Last year Oden missed the entire year while Durant played the entire season how many people were saying that Portland drafted damaged goods. Oden had Microfracture surgery. Look Gallo maybe damaged goods but lets give the kid a chance to prove what he's got. Until healthy and running around at 100% you can't tell what you have. I saw Anderson play last night and he seems impressive but Gallo has other aspects of his game that are simply better than Anderson. Ball handling, passing, better ability to break down opposing teams. Anderson has some but not to the extent that Gallo has. Right now Anderson is playing and that alone makes him a better pick, until Gallo is healthy every pick is going to be a better pick. Just like every pick was a better pick than Oden last year when that simply wasn't the case.
Anji
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #1122
USA
11/16/2008  12:01 PM
Posted by misterearl:

1. Who ever heard of Charles Oakley or Ben Wallace in college?

2. What does any of this hafta do with Euro late pick Tony Parker?

3. If Haseem Thabeet is an immigrant like Hakeem does he qualify as a non-Euro?

No matter what country you are from, the draft is a crapshoot

The fact remains that Walsh inherited a decent array of talent under the age of 28. Under the inspirational leadership of Coach Dan, our beloved Knicks are moving in a positive direction. Rome, New York wasn't built in a few months.

Read my lips. Keep Gallinari.

Save the "I told you so" for next season.

I don't think being a euro player has anything to do with being from Europe. If you play all you in Ncaa then why would you be a Euro player???

And if we picked Danillo at 28 or something later like Parker or Manu, then I don't think anybody could complain at him not playing. At 6, the judgment on picking him there is in question

[Edited by - anji on 11-16-2008 12:02 PM]
"Really, all Americans want is a cold beer, warm p***y, and some place to s**t with a door on it." - Mr. Ford
Anji
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #1122
USA
11/16/2008  12:07 PM
Posted by Vmart:

Last year Oden missed the entire year while Durant played the entire season how many people were saying that Portland drafted damaged goods. Oden had Microfracture surgery. Look Gallo maybe damaged goods but lets give the kid a chance to prove what he's got. Until healthy and running around at 100% you can't tell what you have. I saw Anderson play last night and he seems impressive but Gallo has other aspects of his game that are simply better than Anderson. Ball handling, passing, better ability to break down opposing teams. Anderson has some but not to the extent that Gallo has. Right now Anderson is playing and that alone makes him a better pick, until Gallo is healthy every pick is going to be a better pick. Just like every pick was a better pick than Oden last year when that simply wasn't the case.

I believe everybody knew Oden was damaged goods going into the draft. Oden is also a center though and alot of those guys have leg problems because of their height. Oden's talent makes him a no brainier in spite of the fact the Blazers saw knee problems in his future. I don't know if Danillo is in that class though..... was his body of work and potential so great that you can say we had to pick him???? I don't think so.
"Really, all Americans want is a cold beer, warm p***y, and some place to s**t with a door on it." - Mr. Ford
Uptown

11/16/2008  12:18 PM
Posted by CrushAlot:

I don't think it is premature because I think most of the guys mentioned are better and were better at the draft. I have been pretty critical of Walsh but the draft is the only thing during his tenure that you can really rip apart so far. NJ got Andersen and Lopez. Lopez looks like an 18 and 10 guy and Anderson looks like a solid starter. There was alot of talent available in this past draft. Many draft gurus were rating it one of the best. To get what the Knicks got with the 6th pick was a disaster. I also was concerned that for the second year in a row everyone knew who the Knicks were taking. I also think that at some point the franchise should draft for a position other than small forward.

These draft gurus you are quoting are the same gurus that had Danillo ahead of Anderson in mock drafts and in some cases ahead of Lopez.....These knee jerk threads are the worse. Anderson has a good game last night and now he's better than Danillo?

Why wasn't this thread created when Anderson went 2-4 and had 5 pts and 2 turnovers against Indy? Or the 1-3 game against Pho? Or the 0-0 game against Indy?
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
11/16/2008  12:18 PM
Not for nothing, why was this topic moved to NBA forum?

[Edited by - pharzeone on 11-16-2008 12:18 PM]
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/16/2008  12:25 PM
Where is that thread with people claiming who we should have drafted over Gallo!

Joe Alexander - 3.5pts 2.3rebs
Jerryd Bayless - 1.5pts 0.5ast
Anthony Randolph - 5.6pts 4.8rebs
DJ Augistine - 8.9pts 3.5ast
Eric Gordan - 3.9pts 1.2ast
Brook Lopez - 6.8pts 5.7rebs which is boosted by 1 great game behind 8 average to below average ones.

At least there healthy though right?

Whats going to happen is every time one of these guys have a great game its going to be brought up how we should have drafted that guy instead of Gallo. Case in point Lopez recently had a great game vs ATL so he is brought up and we forget the hype around Bayless & Randolph during the draft. Then when/if Bayless has a great game then Lopez & Randolph & Alexander etc.. will be forgotten and Bayless should have been the one drafted. Then when Randolph has a great game then Bayless & Lopez etc.. will be forgotten and Randolph should have been the one drafted. The cycle will continue.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
11/16/2008  12:37 PM
Also what happen to the Duhon is garbage and starting him over Marbury is stupid since Marbury is so much more talented then him.

Because moves like Duhon and Gallo were culture moves. Its not always about talent its about balance.
Gallo brings intangibles in his character that I haven't heard about from Lopez or Anderson. That's why he was picked over them.

Those little things that Duhon has done to help this team get to a 6-3 start is the reason why he was signed. Its probably the same things Gallo will bring along with a ton of potential and talent.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
11/16/2008  1:47 PM
Posted by newyorknewyork:

Where is that thread with people claiming who we should have drafted over Gallo!

Brook Lopez - 6.8pts 5.7rebs which is boosted by 1 great game behind 8 average to below average ones.

Whats going to happen is every time one of these guys have a great game its going to be brought up how we should have drafted that guy instead of Gallo. Case in point Lopez recently had a great game vs ATL so he is brought up and we forget the hype around Bayless & Randolph during the draft. Then when/if Bayless has a great game then Lopez & Randolph & Alexander etc.. will be forgotten and Bayless should have been the one drafted. Then when Randolph has a great game then Bayless & Lopez etc.. will be forgotten and Randolph should have been the one drafted. The cycle will continue.

Just like lotto, you got to be in it to win it. All talk about Gallinari's abilities are meaningless. You don't give brownie points for guys who can't get into the game.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
newyorknewyork
11/16/2008  3:46 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by newyorknewyork:

Just like lotto, you got to be in it to win it. All talk about Gallinari's abilities are meaningless. You don't give brownie points for guys who can't get into the game.

Don't try to spin it. Bayless is putting up 1.5pts .5ast and has played only 2 games. He can't get burn over Steve Blake and Sergio Rodriguez. Probably because they are lighting him up in practice. While we know the only reason why Gallo isn't playing is because he has been hurt. Bayless hasn't gotten one min in 7games while healthy.

Randolph has played in only 5games vs weaker teams like Mem,Sac,Mem,Minny,Lac. I don't even need to get into Alexander,Gordan etc..

If your going to knock Gallo then stand by the hype of who you thought should have been picked over him. You aren't going to get away with hoping from one player to the next whenever they have a good game.

What is worse, a player who isn't playing because he is injured or players who aren't playing because they may not be that good or ready. Or player who are getting burn but aren't doing anything with it.
Finestrg
Member: #1069

11/16/2008  5:31 PM
Arguing over Danilo Gallinari is completely pointless at this time IMO. Once we actually get this kid healthy and get to see him in action, only then can I render any kind of a decision on what type of player he is and whether or not we wasted the 6th pick on him... So far I've got a positive feeling on what he can be based on the tape of him on youtube and what I saw in that one summer league game before he got hurt, but the final decision on this kid can only come after he's back 100% getting a steady run. And if that doesn't come until next year, then it's next year. Case closed until then for me...
newyorknewyork
11/16/2008  6:31 PM
Even if Gallo doesn't pan out. I will not knock the pick. The pick was a culture changing type of pick. I cannot knock Walsh because I agree with there thought process on adding players with Gallo's type of characteristics. He does have talent though so it would be a shame if his back were to stop him from being able to play throughout his career.

CrushAlot
USA
11/16/2008  9:57 PM
Regarding Oden, he was the top talent coming out of college. Remember how shocked Boston was when they lost the lottery. It forced Ainge to change his focus. But Oden was a well known commodity and a center. He wasn't the fifth small forward drafted by his team in 5 years. There was no one that appeared able to make the impact he was predicted to make coming out of college. He was not an unkown and he had been extremely well scouted. I don't think you can say that about Gallo. I also think that people have reasonable expectations of rookies and know that they will have good and bad games and their impact on the team may vary night to night. That being said the Knicks won 23 games. They went into a draft that was loaded with talent at many need positions and drafted an unkown at a position that they seem to try and fill every year in the draft. In addition everyone knew that the Knicks were taking Gallo. Long before the draft. That is significant because teams don't have to trade up if they know that the Knicks are not going to take their guy, also it was the second year in a row where everyone knew who the Knicks were picking. Gallo already had to overcome a tremendous learning curve. Now he has been unable to play for five months and will not play for at least another. I think the Knicks messed up on this pick and I thought that before Gallo hurt his back. I think there will be 10-15 guys (mimimum) taken after Gallo who will have better careers.
CrushAlot
USA
11/16/2008  10:37 PM
From nbadraftnet Atlantic division preview (Knicks):

Top Rookie: Danilo Gallinari (Italy)

Gallinari has missed most of training camp with an injury, which is never good news for a rookie. We at NBADraft.net had Gallinari has a bust candidate. For one he’s slow. He struggles moving laterally, which will hurt him on the defensive end. Offensively, he doesn’t get great elevation on his jump shot, which could make it tough to get his own offense. He has average handle and a high dribble, too. Gallinari is appealing to the Knicks because his offensive versatility and height could make him an ideal player in D’Antoni’s system. But, Danilo will need to bulk up and get up to speed on things before he starts to play minutes.
This is why you dont take a 6-10 Euro 6 especially when you need a C

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy