[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Lamar Odom a Clipper sor the Heat?
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

8/22/2003  8:02 AM
IMHO It's not that Odom deserves such big bank. If he could not comply with the NBA's drug treatment program or diligently rehab his injuries when he had a large contract at stake, what's going to keep him in line once he actually has the money?
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
Snowman
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #458
Iceland
8/22/2003  9:56 AM
PAT RILEY
What does DICK CHANEY & DON CHANEY have in common ?? They both accidentally fell into a job they don't deserve & really suck at doing it !!!! Both need to be fired !!!
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
8/23/2003  3:11 PM
Interesting reading: www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/basketball/6598553.htm

If Pat Riley can make a coach to player impact in improving Lamar's "lifestyle" while getting him to play a full season, please get mighty mouse to sign on the dotted line too.
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Nedyal1
Member: #463
8/25/2003  5:53 PM
Odom should pay Riles 10% under the table for that deal.

That miami herald article was touching. Its beautiful how much Odom cares.
THE PROBLEM AT HAND MUST BE SOLVED WITH A HIGHER LEVEL OF THINKING THAN THAT IN WHICH IT WAS CREATED: ALBERT EINSTIEN
playa2

8/25/2003  7:49 PM
InsideHoops.com Followup: Clippers general manager Elgin Baylor has said the following: “After long and careful consideration, we have elected not to match the offer sheet presented to us by Lamar Odom. In the final analysis, the decision was based on issues of character and other risks involved.” (6:20pm ET)

I believe all the weed in Miami will get to this lil boy Odom.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
playa2

8/25/2003  8:11 PM
Odom's story full of twists, turns

By Harvey Fialkov
Staff writer

August 24, 2003

The Lamar Odom countdown is at T-minus three days. So might be the Heat season, which seems to be hanging on the whims of the lowly Los Angeles Clippers.

The Clippers, who haven't made the playoffs since the 1996-97 season, have until 11:59 p.m. Tuesday to decide to match the Heat's six-year, $65 million offer sheet for Odom.

As the hourglass runs down, Odom continues to express his desire to play for the Heat.

"All I can do now is hope I get the news in a few days that I will be playing for the Heat," Odom told ESPN.com Saturday. "I've spoken to [Clippers owner Donald Sterling and GM Elgin Baylor] by phone to let them know my desire to play in Miami."

Their Staples Center co-tenant, the Lakers, hog the bulk of national exposure, so most Heat fans have only seen glimpses of the gangly Clippers forward on the evening highlights.

So who is Odom and why are the Heat and president/coach Pat Riley banking the future on this gifted 23-year-old underachiever?

At best, the 6-foot-10 Odom is a triple-double waiting to happen, a left-handed version of Magic Johnson, incandescent smile and all.

At worst, he's an immature, injury-prone young man making poor decisions who has drawn comparisons to Roy Tarpley, Isaiah Rider and Chris Washburn -- former NBA players with unlimited potential who have allowed drugs and off-court missteps to foul promising careers.

In two of his four NBA seasons, Odom served two separate suspensions totaling 13 games for violating terms of the league's anti-drug program. He admitted to using marijuana.

"I love Lamar. But at some point in time he's got to make the decision over what's more important, getting high or his career that's going to get him a $70 million contract," said former Clippers coach Alvin Gentry following Odom's second suspension in the 2001-02 season.

In his past two seasons, Odom has played just 76 games because of a sprained ankle and wrist injuries.

Still, his career averages of 15.9 points, 7.3 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 1.3 blocks a game are impressive.

"He's a complete player," said Jack Ramsey, ESPN NBA analyst and Hall of Fame coach, who predicted that "Riley has him.

"On offense, he can do everything. He can handle the ball, drive, shoot from the edges and is a good passer, almost a playmaker who has the potential to be an All-Star."

Odom's mother, Kathy, died of cancer when he was 12, and his father wasn't in the picture. He was lovingly raised by his aunt JaNean Mercer and grandmother Mildred Mercer, who died last year.

Odom bounced around to three high schools, mostly because of academic deficiencies, but still he managed to average a triple-double at Redemption Christian Academy in Troy, N.Y., and earn Parade Magazine Player of the Year and McDonald's All-American honors.

As a junior, he was touted as the nation's top recruit and compared to Penny Hardaway and Scottie Pippen.

Odom's former AAU mentor, Jerry DeGregorio, helped him transfer to St. Thomas Aquinas High in Milford, Conn., where he coached. Odom stayed with DeGregorio's parents, Celina and Nicola, born-again Christians who enforced strict curfews while bringing some structure to his life.

"Jerry's parents definitely had an impact," Odom said four years ago. "They are religious people who gave me the good experience of the rhythm of everyday life."

Odom committed to a UNLV scholarship in the summer of 1997. Soon after he was cited for soliciting a prostitute on the Las Vegas strip.

A Sports Illustrated expose listing a discrepancy on Odom's American College Test score led to his transfer to Rhode Island. He never played a game for the Runnin' Rebels and left a raft of NCAA violations behind.

In 2000, UNLV coach Bill Bayno was fired and the school was banned from postseason play for improperly recruiting Odom, who was also accused of taking $4,000 to $6,000 and free dental work from David Chapman, a Las Vegas dentist and UNLV booster.

"Lamar is a charismatic kid. It wasn't his fault or mine that jealous people point fingers all the time," said Chapman.

Odom was forced to sit out his freshman season to work on his studies. Odom actually entered the NBA Draft twice and tried to return to school both times. He turned down a $100,000 offer from the CBA and reportedly had a $1 million standing deal from teams in Greece and Switzerland.

Rhode Island coach Jim Harrick bolted to Georgia prior to Odom's sophomore season before allegations of sexual harassment by his secretary surfaced. He was later accused of improperly recruiting Odom, and last March resigned under pressure from Georgia after being accused of committing academic fraud.

DeGregorio, then Harrick's assistant at Rhode Island, became head coach. Odom averaged 17.6 points, 9.4 rebounds and 3.8 assists in 32 career college games before declaring for the 1999 draft.

"I first saw Lamar during the lockout season [1998-99] in his first game for Rhode Island," said Bucks assistant coach Jim Todd, who was interim Clippers coach for the final 37 games of Odom's rookie season.

"Their point guard was hurt or ineligible, and Lamar played the point in front of a ton of NBA scouts. He made 70-foot passes on the money off a fast break or perfect alley-oop lobs and crazy stuff people can't do."

When Odom tumbled from the expected top spot (taken by Clippers teammate Elton Brand) because of rumors of misdeeds, and Riley failed in his attempt to trade up to No. 2 for him, the Clippers jumped.

DeGregorio, who like Odom, refused to be interviewed for this story, soon followed his disciple to Los Angeles, where he is the Clippers' director of player development.

When Todd took over for the deposed Chris Ford, he recalled Odom's playmaking skills and inserted him at the point, a spot the Heat needs to fill.

But after four losing seasons, Odom has shown snapshots of greatness, clouded by shady negatives.

Some blame the Clippers' coaching carousel (four in four seasons) and antiquated practice facilities for Odom's lack of progress.

Chapman believes that the constant losing also wore on Odom, but that Riley's passion for excellence will ignite his competitive ardor.

"He's had time to mature a lot," Chapman said. "Coach Riley told him in a meeting how he feels Lamar will owe the Heat his [mind] and body, and about moving his family [girlfriend Liza Morales and daughter Destiny] to Miami to keep him grounded and stable.

"I don't think anyone has pushed Lamar since college and high school. Ever since he was a little boy he pictured himself as Magic, and Pat and Magic were so close."

Several NBA insiders have questioned Riley for gambling the Heat's salary-cap wad for a prime free agent next year on a risky proposition such as Odom, particularly after the $86 million, maxed-out contracts for Brian Grant and Eddie Jones haven't brought playoff success.

"When I negotiated Kevin Garnett's contract worth $126 million, he was 21, averaging 14 points at the time," said Eric Fleisher, Garnett's agent. "There's no question Lamar has great talent, and for lots of different reason he hasn't put up the numbers one might expect from a maximum player. I don't view market value strictly by numbers, but where is he going to be in a few years?"

Ramsey said, "Coach Riley has great skills in getting players to perform at their maximum. If he can do that with Lamar, he'll get a prize."

Harvey Fialkov can be reached at hfialkov@sun-sentinel.com.

Copyright © 2003, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
8/26/2003  9:50 PM
Not trying to put Lamar on the spot, but when we talk about a player's attributes, character is never formulated in a player's salary. Nearly all consideration for salary is based on Upside, potential, and athleticism as some kind mystical money maker with minuscule amounts of performance achieved. So when the Clippers let a player walk, maybe there is a good reason why they let Lamar walk

``In the final analysis, the decision was based on issues of character and other risks involved,'' Clippers vice president Elgin Baylor said in a statement.

Hopefully, Lamar can appreciate the discipline Riley will bestow during their relationship, and start turning heads in the right direction.

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Lamar Odom a Clipper sor the Heat?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy