clippers are matching offers
Author Thread
prodson
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #395
Colombia
7/30/2003  3:22 PM
i guess donald sterling is saying, "y'all got me f'd up!"
all those years as a fan and now i'm the anti-knick. life is crazy aint it.
AUTOADVERT
prodson
Member: #395
Colombia
7/30/2003  3:23 PM
LOS ANGELES (July 29) -- The Los Angeles Clippers retained shooting guard Corey Maggette on Tuesday, matching the offer sheet he signed July 14 with the Utah Jazz.

The Clippers previously kept forward Elton Brand by matching the offer sheet he signed with the Miami Heat, and have until Wednesday to decide whether they'll match the offer sheet point guard Andre Miller signed with Denver.

Maggette signed a six-year offer sheet with Utah believed to be worth $42 million. He is now under contract for those terms with the Clippers.

Brand's contract is believed to be worth $83 million over six years while the offer sheet Miller signed with Denver is for six years for more than $51 million.

"Through consistent hard work and effort, Corey has improved his game each year he has been in the league, and there is no reason to believe he won't continue to get even better," Clippers general manager Elgin Baylor said in a statement. "We're really glad that he will be back for the long term."

The 6-foot-6 Maggette is coming off his best season, averaging 16.8 points, 5.0 rebounds and 31.3 minutes in 64 games. He ranked second on the team in scoring, increasing his average by 5.4 points over the previous season.

The 23-year-old Maggette has averaged 11.5 points, 4.2 rebounds and 23.3 minutes in 273 career games over four seasons.

"I am very excited about the opportunity to coach Corey," new Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said. "Obviously, I have followed him closely since his days at Duke. He has done a terrific job of developing his all-around game and I look forward to being a part of his continued development."

Maggette played one season at Duke before making himself available for the NBA Draft. He was a first-round pick of Seattle in 1999 -- the 13th overall selection -- before being traded to Orlando. He averaged 8.4 points in his one season with the Magic and 10.0 points and 11.4 points in his first two years with the Clippers.

The Clippers' decision to match Utah's offer sheet was another blow to the Jazz. John Stockton retired following last season, and Karl Malone signed with the Los Angeles Lakers earlier this month as a free agent.

In addition, Utah struck out in its attempts to sign Andre Miller to an offer sheet, and Brad Miller to a free-agent contract. The Jazz have about $20 million to spend under the salary cap of $43.84 million announced by the NBA earlier this month.
all those years as a fan and now i'm the anti-knick. life is crazy aint it.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
7/31/2003  2:03 AM
In being selective, Sterling has used the lottery to his advantage...pretty hard concept to grasp

These recent signings should silence all the critics that thought Sterling did not want to commit money to players.
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
clippers are matching offers

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy