Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/2/2008  1:20 PM
Posted by playa2:
Posted by tkf:
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by tkf:

I wrote numerous post about the NBA's rules and it's officiating... I said that the league allowing flopping is a bad thing, and was headed down a slippery slope.... You take away hand checking, but can use a bent elbow, you make the circle in the lane to mark where guys can take offensive fouls, I mean too much tampering... the league should discourage big men taking charges and encourage them to go for blocks, the way they did in back in the day. And in order to do that, stop calling them for every fould when they go to block a shot and a guy just launches his body into the defender looking for a cheap foul..... the league has to get back to big men blocking shots, and allowing them to challenge shots...

the ticky tack fouls on the perimeter needs to be toned down, unless those fouls prohibit a player from moving where he wants, don't call it... There is nothing worse than watching vince and pierce, dribble on the perimeter, and when they can't get around the guy, the start flailing as if they were hit from behind by a mac truck, begging for fouls.. To me, it is just a terrible way to play the game...

looking back, it started w/ the pistons and then continued by the knicks - that's what brought the league down b/c it slowed down the game and made it very ugly to watch.

combine that with the lack of player development in college (for those who even went to college) and the league had to implement a bunch of rules to increase scoring.

I agree to some extent, but lets admit this, the rules changed to help out lesser quality players.. Guys came out of college either great athlete with little skills or no skills and just tall..... the knicks played a brawling style, but that phased itself out to some degree... I think the lack of quality players was the reason why the league changed rules, that and sterns desire to appeal to the european market..

Stern changing rules to help out the euro market too huh... who are the players in the euro market ??? Don't get me started

I think you should get started and say it.

AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/2/2008  2:47 PM
Everyone knows that the NBA is fixed. Its a business and thats all it is. Players are entertainers and that is what they do entertain. Its not about who wins. Match ups are promoted just like Don King promotes boxing matchups that draw the biggest draw. Sterns is fixing everything from top to bottom to increase the dollar amount for the franchisee the best he knows how. Its fixed but sometime the outcome doesn't happen the way they intend it to happen.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/2/2008  2:54 PM
Posted by playa2:

What do you think? Its not an impossible scenario that the NBA manipulates the league to promote certain stars and certain markets.

i think it's obvious that the NBA does that just like the MLB & NFL does it... they promote the guys they think best represent their game & will bring fans to the gates... it's the fundamentals of marketing... hell, even the MLS does it... you would think David freakin' Beckham was the greatest soccer player who ever lived if you weren't a follower of the game... C.R.E.A.M. get da money dolla dolla bill y'all.

[Edited by - TMS on 06-02-2008 11:55 AM]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/2/2008  4:12 PM
Posted by TrueBlue:
Posted by tkf:

I wrote numerous post about the NBA's rules and it's officiating... I said that the league allowing flopping is a bad thing, and was headed down a slippery slope.... You take away hand checking, but can use a bent elbow, you make the circle in the lane to mark where guys can take offensive fouls, I mean too much tampering... the league should discourage big men taking charges and encourage them to go for blocks, the way they did in back in the day. And in order to do that, stop calling them for every foul when they go to block a shot and a guy just launches his body into the defender looking for a cheap foul..... the league has to get back to big men blocking shots, and allowing them to challenge shots...

the ticky tack fouls on the perimeter needs to be toned down, unless those fouls prohibit a player from moving where he wants, don't call it... There is nothing worse than watching vince and pierce, dribble on the perimeter, and when they can't get around the guy, the start flailing as if they were hit from behind by a mac truck, begging for fouls.. To me, it is just a terrible way to play the game...

Sheed wants to complain about floppingm then he needs to tell his own teamate RIP to stop with all the theatrics... RIP holds, he grabs, swings, and when the defender fights back, he goes into victim mode... It really is a joke, If I were the refs, I would say. You grab him, I will let him grab you. You push, him I will let him push you or call fouls on both of you and jump the ball up at center court...

[Edited by - tkf on 02-06-2008 11:08 AM]

Now TKF this is the kind of post touching on the nuances of the game involving officiating and the game in general that was well articulated, written, and objective. Look I've come down on you in the past about getting on the refs from call-to-call....game-to-game because as your well thought out post reveals it's really a problem with the game itself and not so much the refs being totally incompetent at doing their job. This was somewhat my argument in that the calls they make good and bad generally balance themselves out over the course of a game and one call rarely determines the actual outcome of the game. There are a few isolated games you could pick out and say to yourself alright "I'm going to go get a loan from that ref because I know he just got paid" but overall the officiating is what it is. It's bad because the rules of the game are bad. Stern has brought the game down to UBER PUKETITUDE. Players these days do everything but play basketball. There's always these dumb little sideshows going on within the game that have zero to do with the game itself.

Look when I complained about Joey the other week because that Bald Headed Cancerous Zebra has agendas(keeping in mind the league put him on blast as you saw admitting wrong and sold him out because Stern has even greater Agendas) it was to express how one ref really should't be allowed to do his profession. The Lakers more than likely would have prevailed against SA even if Joey makes the call I think the Lakers had a foul to give, so they more than likely lose the game still but Joey Crack clearly blew the call swallowed his whistle turning his back on the court to signal game over and stayed that way for a while as if to say "I made the call Kiss My Ass Spurs, Duncan Hines, Popazit, and Desperate House Parker. I'm sick of Joey.

Once again I like what you had to say here.

I wish Stern would do the best thing he could ever do and that's walk away and let a real commissioner run this league like it's supposed to be ran. Fix the game first and you'll probably fix the refereeing to a large degree and the many other trouble areas of this sport.

[Edited by - TrueBlue on 06-02-2008 11:28 AM]

thanks TB: and I was just giving you hell over the joey crawford situation, busting your balls.... LOL... I understood your point..

What I hated is after a knick game when I complained about the officiating, people would take it the wrong way, as if I were saying they were out to screw the knicks. My complaints not only come from knicks games, but from all the games I watch, and I watch a ton of games during the season..

As you said, I don't think the refs come into the game looking to screw a team, I think they are doing the best they can, under the somewhat ambigious rules of the NBA... I think stern has tried to change the game to compensate for watered down talent and to appeal to the foreign market, and to me , it has hurt the game to some degree. Now I will admit, he has done one of the greatest marketing job in Pro sports making the NBA well known world wide... But while doing so, our game has suffered, I agree, I would not mind seeing another commissioner step in and clean up the game and as you said, the officiating will most likely improve as a result. As it stands now, I think the refs have a hard time calling games, they try to make the right calls, but the way it is now, so much can be left up to interpretation. The offensive foul rule is a damn mess, just get back to blocking shots, that rule was meant so that players would not get an advantage over the defender by mowing him over, but it wasn't intended to take away big guys greatest weapon, and that was his strength... If a guy is too big and too strong, then the other team should be forced to double team, and if they double team, they pay, but that is the beauty of having a size advantage? why take that away by letting guys flop, and guys like bruce bowen can end up guarding guys like shaq without a double team, all he has to do is take some acting classes.. I mean come on....

What I find funny is this TB: The handchecking rule enabled slower guys to guard quicker guys by getting physical with the hands and directing a player where he wants him to do. Derek Harper did this to Kenny anderson when the knicks met the nets in the playoffs and he just shut kenny down..

So now they have the no handchecking rule.. great... but then they they now allow guys to set up in the lane as long as it is not in that circle and take offensive fouls all day... hahahaha.. Great, now I can beat my guy, but have to watch out for this 6'10 brick wall standing there for an offensive foul... wow.. what a mess... and not only that, but now guys can zone up on me.... hahahahaha.. nice going stern...

It is funny with the old rules, teams like the lakers and nuggets would move the ball, push the ball and score.. why the rule changes? maybe this league just need different and better players..

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Rasheed Wallace Says NBA is Entertainment Not Real Basketball

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy