[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OJ Mayo accussed of Accepting $30,000 in cash while in high school and at USC
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

5/12/2008  8:55 AM
Former USC basketball player O.J. Mayo, a projected lottery pick in this year's NBA draft, received thousands of dollars in cash, clothes and other benefits in apparent violation of NCAA rules while he was still in high school and during his one year in college, a former Mayo associate told ESPN's "Outside the Lines."

Louis Johnson, who was a part of Mayo's inner circle until recently, said Mayo accepted around $30,000 in cash and gifts during the past four years from Rodney Guillory, a 43-year-old Los Angeles event promoter. In addition to cash, the gifts included a flat-screen television for Mayo's dorm room, cell phone service, a hotel room, clothes, meals and airline tickets for Mayo's friends and a relative, according to Johnson, others with knowledge of the gifts and store receipts.

When Mayo was in high school in Ohio and West Virginia, Guillory was receiving monthly payments from the Northern California sports agency Bill Duffy Associates. Johnson said BDA provided Guillory with around $200,000 before Mayo arrived at USC, and that Guillory used most of the money to support his own lifestyle but also gave a portion of it to Mayo.

In exchange for the payments and gifts, Mayo entered into a verbal agreement to allow BDA represent him when he turned pro, Johnson told "Outside the Lines."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3390695

So what does Mayo have to say???:

Mayo said: "I am focusing on the process of making my dream come true, which is to play professional basketball. I will not allow these allegations to become a distraction to me and my family. I have been through investigations by the NCAA, the Pac Ten and USC before I attended school and during the time I have been here. I have not engaged in any wrongdoing. If these claims were true I would suspect they would have been discovered by one of these organizations."

Of Guillory, Mayo said in his statement: "Rodney has been a positive influence on me as well as a strong African-American male presence in my life. Recently, my mother had the opportunity to spend time with Rodney as well, and has shared her appreciation for the way he has always treated me like I was family when I was so far away from home. I have nothing but respect for Rodney."

Mayo told ESPN.com: "I would just like to know if I did [get money] where did the money go. I was a struggling college student like everyone else. I bicycled to class. The truth will come out, even though the perception is reality."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if this will effect his draft position.

[Edited by - playa2 on 12-05-2008 09:05]
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
JayNYC
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #682
USA
5/12/2008  9:31 AM
It really shouldn't. I don't feel as strongly about this as others may. Personally, I think that ALL ATHLETES should get some type of compensation for playing college sports. Moreso, now than ever! (Not Just A Scholarship! These schools get major coin win they win!)Top tier talent is being forced to play in a stop gag league when they truly have no intentions of playing on the college cirucit, nor should they.. IMO. Realistically, a top recruit is equally as beneficial to the development of the NCAA team that selects him, as it would be for the student to go there and learn the "nuances of the game" for a year. Think about this... If the NBA didn't institute the 1yr college rule: Would a player from a low income family, who is more than capable of going to the pros even consider playing for free? Or would he opt for the potential millions that he could gain by entering the draft out of high school that ultimately could change his lifestyle and affect dozens of others within his family? Wouldn't most people say that they would get the cash? Why should it be any different for these kids. This is why I think the colleges should not be a stickler and argue on this being illegal, because at the end of the day they are just as much a deterent from the childs success as they would be a propellant! Let the agents, work the side deals... don't mar it in scandle and the school can still get money to it's program, even if it is a 1yr.
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/12/2008  9:32 AM
Was wondering how long it was going to take for you to post this info. It wont effect his draft position nor should it. I'm certain he aint the only one in this draft class to receive benefits as an amatuer.
JayNYC
USA
5/12/2008  9:32 AM
Also it's crazy for the NBA or NCAA to think that they can police this sort of thing from occuring. So why not make it legal. An 18 year old kid is less likely to turn down the materialistic things in life especially if he has never had money before. You want the kid to play for your program, let him get benefit because if he is out there busting his hump for the team, and suffers a career ending injury, wha becomes of his value to the school then?

[Edited by - JayNYC on 05-12-2008 09:37 AM]
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
playa2

5/12/2008  9:35 AM
jay, we have many pro university posters here you have to go thru before your message is accepted. From nalod to martin
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/12/2008  9:36 AM
Posted by JayNYC:

It really shouldn't. I don't feel as strongly about this as others may. Personally, I think that ALL ATHLETES should get some type of compensation for playing college sports. Moreso, now than ever! (Not Just A Scholarship! These schools get major coin win they win!)Top tier talent is being forced to play in a stop gag league when they truly have no intentions of playing on the college cirucit, nor should they.. IMO. Realistically, a top recruit is equally as beneficial to the development of the NCAA team that selects him, as it would be for the student to go there and learn the "nuances of the game" for a year. Think about this... If the NBA didn't institute the 1yr college rule: Would a player from a low income family, who is more than capable of going to the pros even consider playing for free? Or would he opt for the potential millions that he could gain by entering the draft out of high school that ultimately could change his lifestyle and affect dozens of others within his family? Wouldn't most people say that they would get the cash? Why should it be any different for these kids. This is why I think the colleges should not be a stickler and argue on this being illegal, because at the end of the day they are just as much a deterent from the childs success as they would be a propellant! Let the agents, work the side deals... don't mar it in scandle and the school can still get money to it's program, even if it is a 1yr.

Jay--do you know how much it cost to go to school these days? It's a spit in the face to say that athletes need to be paid extra. If they want to get paid--they can go play professional basketball
RIP Crushalot😞
playa2

5/12/2008  9:42 AM
They should be able to do it in the united states, with a "true minor sysytem" not the way it's put together now.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/12/2008  9:45 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by JayNYC:

Jay--do you know how much it cost to go to school these days? It's a spit in the face to say that athletes need to be paid extra. If they want to get paid--they can go play professional basketball

Thank you BRIGGS.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
5/12/2008  9:50 AM
Posted by JayNYC:

It really shouldn't. I don't feel as strongly about this as others may. Personally, I think that ALL ATHLETES should get some type of compensation for playing college sports. Moreso, now than ever! (Not Just A Scholarship! These schools get major coin win they win!)Top tier talent is being forced to play in a stop gag league when they truly have no intentions of playing on the college cirucit, nor should they.. IMO. Realistically, a top recruit is equally as beneficial to the development of the NCAA team that selects him, as it would be for the student to go there and learn the "nuances of the game" for a year. Think about this... If the NBA didn't institute the 1 yr college rule: Would a player from a low income family, who is more than capable of going to the pros even consider playing for free? Or would he opt for the potential millions that he could gain by entering the draft out of high school that ultimately could change his lifestyle and affect dozens of others within his family? Wouldn't most people say that they would get the cash? Why should it be any different for these kids. This is why I think the colleges should not be a stickler and argue on this being illegal, because at the end of the day they are just as much a deterent from the childs success as they would be a propellant! Let the agents, work the side deals... don't mar it in scandle and the school can still get money to it's program, even if it is a 1yr.

It called a free education, free food, books. Have you seen the cost of college lately even the most mediocre university $20,000 per year. With that said I still think that the players in college need to be paid. They are putting their future on line so the college can make millions. Not to mention these big universies make mony from selling team uniforms.
JayNYC
USA
5/12/2008  9:51 AM

Yes indeed. College is extremely expensive. I know, I'm a graduate from a a "prestigeous institution" hahaha; and fortunately enough my parents were able to contribute to my edu- ma cation. I was also able to benefit from a few scholarships... Thank Goodness, I didn't need any loans. That being said, slap in the face.. spit whatever? The college game becomes a gamble for a high profile high school talent that is able to make the quantum leap to the pros. Should an injury occur, where do they go from there? Who is gonna help the families? In most cases, these kids already have someone in their ears telling them that they are pro-bound.. The player then see's this as their meal-ticket! If that is the mind-set of most high level high school recruits and they are being forced to gamble with potentially losing the opportunity of being a lottery bound project or even undrafted, why shouldn't they be expected to find some ways to help themselves financially from the outset. Remember there are no guarantees in life, you've got to get while the gettin is good! College 1yr rule in the NBA sucks because it can potentially make or break a player. Think of this, how does an NBA Team owner feel about pick up games once players have reached the league. It's a no go right, because they see it as a risk of injury, which ultimately costs them dollars... especially if it's a marquee talent! What is the difference here?
NYKBocker
USA
5/12/2008  9:52 AM
Posted by playa2:

They should be able to do it in the united states, with a "true minor sysytem" not the way it's put together now.

Why does it matter if we have it here in the states or not? The fact that they have a choice should be sufficient enough. Like BRIGGS said, college tuition is just insane right now. That is their payment and a chance to be somebody in the future through education. If this is hard life, then I blame my parents for not giving me genes to be 6'8". I would have been more than happy to suffer in college playing a childs game and getting an education instead of working my way through college.

playa2

5/12/2008  9:54 AM
The nerve of OJ Mayo getting paid for his own skilled labor,he should be ashamed of himself.

Doesn't he know that HS and college sports are set up to enrich the owners and use the players as slave labor?

ok for those who hate the word slavery how about "Indentured servant".
playa2

5/12/2008  9:58 AM
Posted by NYKBocker:
Posted by playa2:

Why does it matter if we have it here in the states or not? The fact that they have a choice should be sufficient enough. Like BRIGGS said, college tuition is just insane right now. That is their payment and a chance to be somebody in the future through education. If this is hard life, then I blame my parents for not giving me genes to be 6'8". I would have been more than happy to suffer in college playing a childs game and getting an education instead of working my way through college.

Because the euro guys who come over got paid at 16yrs of age in their own enviorment(not a foreign one) and this helped them excel and progress more quickly.

Even when college wasn't as expensive as it is today they were still making tons of cash off of these young lads.

NYKBocker
USA
5/12/2008  10:00 AM
Posted by playa2:

The nerve of OJ Mayo getting paid for his own skilled labor,he should be ashamed of himself.

Doesn't he know that HS and college sports are set up to enrich the owners and use the players as slave labor?

Comparing college player with scholarships to slaves and/or indentured servants is just plaing wrong and hurtful to any person who has been enslaved or an indentured servant.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/12/2008  10:03 AM
Posted by NYKBocker:
Posted by playa2:

Comparing college player with scholarships to slaves and/or indentured servants is just plaing wrong and hurtful to any person who has been enslaved or an indentured servant.

Yeah really, and to top it off, these kids are having the time of their lives as college students. Sheesh.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
JayNYC
USA
5/12/2008  10:12 AM
NYKBocker,
The fact that they have a choice should be sufficient enough.

Where is the choice? They are forced to play 1 year of college ball or Never play for the NBA!
Like BRIGGS said, college tuition is just insane right now. That is their payment and a chance to be somebody in the future through education. If this is hard life, then I blame my parents for not giving me genes to be 6'8". I would have been more than happy to suffer in college playing a childs game and getting an education instead of working my way through college.

Colege being expensive should not justify the sentiment around here that pro-bound players shouldn't be paid. I disagree that a scholarship is an adequate form of payment, especially since a number of academic stars on the high school level receive the same deal. What is being missed, in my opinion is that the kids are risking their opportunity to make guaranteed money.. by playing on the college level programs. Competing for that school to earn more money and exposure. If the belief is that schools think that college is the key to developing their business acumen.. then let these players go to school for free, focus on class and play a college game at their LEISURE. How would they feel about that top tier talent then? Would this fly with the NCAA? Heck No! Why because it's not about the students personal development.. never has been.. never will be! College is a business, and they will ensure its growth and profitability like any other corporate entity. Thus, they should be willing to pay more for someone who can contribute on a higher level in that capacity.

We do it all the time... we sell ourselves to the highest bidder in the workforce because we know our skillsets and abilities sync up with the more pressing needs of the company.. Moreover we can deliver at high levels. Business' believe in that; Those that see the value, ultimately will pay slightly more to have that person on staff

Why because they are viewed as a TRUE ASSET!

It should be no different in college sports.

[Edited by - JayNYC on 05-12-2008 10:24 AM]
NYKBocker
USA
5/12/2008  10:33 AM
Posted by JayNYC:

NYKBocker,
The fact that they have a choice should be sufficient enough.

Where is the choice? They are forced to play 1 year of college ball!
Like BRIGGS said, college tuition is just insane right now. That is their payment and a chance to be somebody in the future through education. If this is hard life, then I blame my parents for not giving me genes to be 6'8". I would have been more than happy to suffer in college playing a childs game and getting an education instead of working my way through college.

Colege being expensive should not justify the sentiment around here that pro-bound players shouldn't be paid. I disagree that a scholarship is an adequate form of payment, especially since a number of academic stars on the high school level receive the same deal. What is being missed, in my opinion is that the kids are risking their opportunity to make guaranteed money.. by playing on the college level programs. Competing for that school to earn more money and exposure. If the belief is that schools think that college is the key to developing their business acumen.. then let these players go to school for free, focus on class and play a college game at their LEISURE. How would they feel about that top tier talent then? Would this fly with the NCAA? Heck No! Why because it's not about the students personal development.. never has been.. never will be! College is a business, and they will ensure its growth and profitability like any other corporate entity. Thus, they should be willing to pay more for someone who can contribute on a higher level in that capacity.

We do it all the time... we sell ourselves to the highest bidder in the workforce because we know our skillsets and abilities sync up with the more pressing needs of the company.. Moreover we can deliver at high levels. Business' believe in that; Those that see the value, ultimately will pay slightly more to have that person on staff

Why becuase they are viewed as a TRUE ASSET!

It should be no different in college sports.

[Edited by - JayNYC on 05-12-2008 10:22 AM]

Choice?
1. Play overseas if they are good enough.
2. Don't take the scholarship and work hard to pay for your college education just like anybody else or take a loan.
3. Don't go to school if you think you are being exploited.

You always have a choice. It might not be what you are looking for but the options are there.

How many of these college players go to the NBA? You should look at the NBA as a company which they are. Do you think IBM or any other top company will hire you if you did not attain the companies prereqs before even getting an interview? You are considered an asset once said prereqs are attained. The NBA company does not see you as an asset, unless you are LeBron or the like, when you are in HS anymore because there are just not that many supposed HS phenoms panning out in the NBA. The NBA put this prereq to improve their product.

As for college paying these athletes, I will just re-iterate what BRIGGS and Allanfan20 has said in this thread. Free education is their payment. A bright future is their payment if used wisely. They are having the time of their lives in college.

[Edited by - NYKBocker on 05-12-2008 10:34 AM]
playa2

5/12/2008  10:52 AM
I was reading an article and it seems I was not the only person who wondered about teams getting penalized for kids not graduating.

Here's the list;

Here's a list of the 53 Division I basketball programs that were hit with scholarship sanctions. The typical limit is 13.
Arkansas State: Public notice
Cal State Northridge: Public notice
Cal State Sacramento: Limit of 12 next year
Centenary: 12
Central Connecticut State: 12
Chicago State: Public notice
Cleveland State: Public notice
College of Charleston: 12
Colorado: Public notice
Colorado State: 11
East Carolina: 11
Florida International: 12
Fresno State: 10
Georgia State: Public notice
Hampton: 12
Hawaii: 11
Idaho: 12
Illinois-Chicago: 12
Jacksonville State: 11
Kansas State: 12
Lamar: 11
Liberty: 11
Louisiana-Lafayette: Public notice
Louisiana Tech: 12
Manhattan: 12
Mercer: 12
Morehead State: Public notice
New Hampshire: 12
New Mexico: 12
New Mexico State: 12
Norfolk State: Public notice
North Texas: 12
Portland State: Public notice
Purdue: 12
Quinnipiac: 11
San Francisco: 12
San Jose State: 11
Seton Hall: 12
South Alabama: 12
South Carolina: 12
Southeastern Louisiana: Public notice
Southern Utah: 12
St. Bonaventure: Public notice
St. Peter's: 12
Tennessee: 12
Texas State: Public notice
UAB: 11
UC Santa Barbara: Public notice
UNC-Greensboro: 12
USC: 11
UTEP: 12
Western Illinois: Public notice
Wyoming: 12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not that much, but losing a player or two can affect a program. Now it seems like the NCAA is doing the Davis Stern thing on colleges. Good.
JayNYC
USA
5/12/2008  11:27 AM
Posted by NYKBocker:

Choice?
2. Don't take the scholarship and work hard to pay for your college education just like anybody else or take a loan.

You always have a choice. It might not be what you are looking for but the options are there.

Hahaha, you are right. I stand corrected! There is always a choice... But are any of those a viable option, when considering a player that is a strong candidate to play in organized sports on a pro level... One in which could potentially earn multi-millions? People have been told, you go to college to increase your chances of employment. Top tier talents in H.S. that speak of the NBA and are recognized by many circles as Pro-Ready... How are they increasing their chances of employment? If they do not suffer an injury... They might hurt their draft stock. Remember Brandon Rush? Projected top 15 a few yrs back now he is a 2nd rd prospect. Why in the world should these players have to gamble with their futures in sports by playing in a game for 1yr for Free? That is illogical.
How many of these college players go to the NBA?

Most often, a good majority of top tier high schoolers do make it pro, especially when projected by scouts earlier on. OJ Mayo was recognized as a pro level talent as far back as junior high. Prospects like him, usually go pro... Unless they get hurt!
You should look at the NBA as a company which they are. Do you think IBM or any other top company will hire you if you did not attain the companies prereqs before even getting an interview?

Just wanted to clear up somethings. I know that college is a business, i stated that earlier.. and I certainly recognize that the NBA is a business. Do I think that companies hire without attaining pre-req's. Probably not, I can't say for sure. What I do know, is that they absolutely hire based on skill sets.. It amounts to what can be brought to help their business grow... Pre-requisites, can be formalized.. and or attained on the job. IE. Internships, and get this some companies pay their employees to learn on the job.. Why because they see said person to potentially be an asset in the company
You are considered an asset once said prereqs are attained. The NBA company does not see you as an asset, unless you are LeBron or the like, when you are in HS anymore because there are just not that many supposed HS phenoms panning out in the NBA. The NBA put this prereq to improve their product.

That statement leads me to believe, that the NBA doesn't care whether or not the student achieves academic success. They simply want to ensure that these potential high school recruits ultimately pan out and achieve success in their product.

That actually supports my post, thank you. For that reason, college players should get as much as they can, while they can because based on that statement.. If they don't they never will! Improper benefits or Not. The NBA Cares.. hahaha, that slogan is a mockery. They care for themselves!
As for college paying these athletes, I will just re-iterate what BRIGGS and Allanfan20 has said in this thread. Free education is their payment. A bright future is their payment if used wisely. They are having the time of their lives in college.

Thats fine, we can agree to disagree, but I'll leave you with these
thoughts. Often times these top recruits get their academic eligibility and never go to class, yet we are forced to believe that the NCAA an NBA are doing this to better students and make them more well rounded right? That is such a farce because we all know that it is truly about ensuring the profitability of both leagues. That's the only reason why they have opted for the 1yr rule.

Oh also just so you know, I am in no way advocating not attending college (I said it before I graduated from a recognized University here in NY) . I am however saying, it's all systematic. Get this piece of paper (degree) and you can become a success? All be it, we can't offer any guarantees in that regard! But it's ok, because we let you go to school for free, and if your luck is just right you too can be apart of the "American dream"... That's their reward, yeah right!

People are self taught, and still have bright futures. Some people never stepped foot on a college campus, yet alone a classroom and are billionaires in this world!

Those are the people that are having the time of their lives! IMO

LASTLY I WILL APOLOGIZE TO THE READERS OF THIS LONG POST, BUT JUST HAD TO REPLY... Unfortunately, Im not a man of few words.

[Edited by - JayNYC on 05-12-2008 11:47 AM]
NYKBocker
USA
5/12/2008  12:23 PM
Posted by JayNYC:
Posted by NYKBocker:

Choice?

Hahaha, you are right. I stand corrected! There is always a choice... But are any of those a viable option, when considering a player that is a strong candidate to play in organized sports on a pro level... One in which could potentially earn multi-millions? People have been told, you go to college to increase your chances of employment. Top tier talents in H.S. that speak of the NBA and are recognized by many circles as Pro-Ready... How are they increasing their chances of employment? If they do not suffer an injury... They might hurt their draft stock. Remember Brandon Rush? Projected top 15 a few yrs back now he is a 2nd rd prospect. Why in the world should these players have to gamble with their futures in sports by playing in a game for 1yr for Free? That is illogical.
How many of these college players go to the NBA?

Most often, a good majority of top tier high schoolers do make it pro, especially when projected by scouts earlier on. OJ Mayo was recognized as a pro level talent as far back as junior high. Prospects like him, usually go pro... Unless they get hurt!
You should look at the NBA as a company which they are. Do you think IBM or any other top company will hire you if you did not attain the companies prereqs before even getting an interview?

Just wanted to clear up somethings. I know that college is a business, i stated that earlier.. and I certainly recognize that the NBA is a business. Do I think that companies hire without attaining pre-req's. Probably not, I can't say for sure. What I do know, is that they absolutely hire based on skill sets.. It amounts to what can be brought to help their business grow... Pre-requisites, can be formalized.. and or attained on the job. IE. Internships, and get this some companies pay their employees to learn on the job.. Why because they see said person to potentially be an asset in the company
You are considered an asset once said prereqs are attained. The NBA company does not see you as an asset, unless you are LeBron or the like, when you are in HS anymore because there are just not that many supposed HS phenoms panning out in the NBA. The NBA put this prereq to improve their product.

That statement leads me to believe, that the NBA doesn't care whether or not the student achieves academic success. They simply want to ensure that these potential high school recruits ultimately pan out and achieve success in their product.

That actually supports my post, thank you. For that reason, college players should get as much as they can, while they can because based on that statement.. If they don't they never will! Improper benefits or Not. The NBA Cares.. hahaha, that slogan is a mockery. They care for themselves!

Thats fine, we can agree to disagree, but I'll leave you with these
thoughts. Often times these top recruits get their academic eligibility and never go to class, yet we are forced to believe that the NCAA an NBA are doing this to better students and make them more well rounded right? That is such a farce because we all know that it is truly about ensuring the profitability of both leagues. That's the only reason why they have opted for the 1yr rule.

Oh also just so you know, I am in no way advocating not attending college (I said it before I graduated from a recognized University here in NY) . I am however saying, it's all systematic. Get this piece of paper (degree) and you can become a success? All be it, we can't offer any guarantees in that regard! But it's ok, because we let you go to school for free, and if your luck is just right you too can be apart of the "American dream"... That's their reward, yeah right!

People are self taught, and still have bright futures. Some people never stepped foot on a college campus, yet alone a classroom and are billionaires in this world!

Those are the people that are having the time of their lives! IMO

LASTLY I WILL APOLOGIZE TO THE READERS OF THIS LONG POST, BUT JUST HAD TO REPLY... Unfortunately, Im not a man of few words.

[Edited by - JayNYC on 05-12-2008 11:47 AM]

No need to apologize, at least not to me. I enjoy these kind of debates. I agree with some of your points but the overall view..well like you said we agree to disagree. I need to do some work and will try to respond later when I get a chance with a little more detail.
OJ Mayo accussed of Accepting $30,000 in cash while in high school and at USC

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy