Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

4/9/2008  9:54 AM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by playa2:
Posted by highfivesucka:

good. the quality of players coming into the league these days is pathetic. 90% of the players don't know how to play basketball. they need to stop letting these 1-year kids into the league who have no idea how to play.

What do you mean "they need to stop letting them in", NBA franchises don't have to draft them to play in the NBA out of highschool, SET UP A PROPER Well run MINOR LEAGUE LIKE BASEBALL AND HOCKEY .

They did.

Playa, What about Football. Why not them?

to be an NFL player, college and training are essential. Increasing your maximum weightlifting, speed, weather endurance and ferocity is only achieved through training and college football players stay in school longer than basketball players. come out of high school at 18 and take a hit from a Reggie Lewis, Junior Seau or Mike Strahan at 18 and see where you end up. 18 year olds can get on that floor with the NBA players because the contact is not as extensive.

I think the high schools have to do a bettef job with these kids, and the fact of private schools recruiting them creates competition so a kid who is on track for the NBA does not want to do the work, and maybe the family (if there is one)is not pushing them either.

I Think that Basketball cannot solve the ill's of literacy with these kids so it boils down to What the NBA is doing to protect the quality of its athletes coming in and reduce instances that can hurt business. Having more mature men regardless of the race and backgound makes for a more solid investment, a more professional attitude that the athlete understands his responsablity to his team, family and his body all year long.

Thats why we have yet to even see a kid go over and even bypass his rookie contract for bigger money. Its not offered and it can be very tough for a kid who has not traveled much.

Playa, you think and kid who can't read and write, has a tough family situation, can just pick up and live alone in another country?

And if the economic model of minor league does not justify major expansion then it won't work. In baseball and hockey look at the attendance. Even in the lower teams. They make money.

NCAA gets big money from big crowds, and the bigger programs have a quality staff that can both nurture an immature kid and they will play basketball all year long and develope.

Thats a pretty good deal!

college basketball shouldn't be the classroom. A minor league should. College basketball is a farce that is pretending its a league of students playing basketball, when it's really ball players who are "supposed" to go to class to.

My point is that there needs to be a "TRUE MINOR league because the system now prevent athletes from doing what they want to do, and it hurts real students, who essentially pay for school's to bring in players.

I'm just saying, when going to college isn't a choice, but just a way to get to the NBA, everyone suffers EXCEPT for the NBA and NCAA bottomline.

And yes, that's good for them, I guess they are businesses, but call a spade a spade then and don't pull all these Lenny Cooke sob stories as the reason

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
playa2

4/10/2008  8:30 AM
Posted by fishmike:

its not race its business. Your insulting everyone's intelligence buy suggesting its racially motivated. The fact that the majority of the talent is black is coincidental.

Of the HS players that have declared in the past maybe 2 in 10 are close to contributing to the NBA. Most float for a few years before being ready. Some totally fade and lose any chance they might have had at a free education in the first place. For every Bynum and Kobe and Lebron there are 5 James Langs, Gerald Greens, Ricky Sanchez, guys that SHOULD have USED the NCAA for a free education.

The tendency is always to look at the Lebrons of the system and harp on the those (like there are so many). The simple fact is most black male basketball players in the NCAA are not going to the NBA, yet the vast majority are getting an education because they play.

Tell me again why thats wrong? Because their sport generates revenue for the college? We just watched a 64 team tourney. Thats over 800 players. How many will be in the NBA in the next 2-3 years? 10? 20? Yet how many will have a chance to get a degree and not have to pay a dime for it? 500? 600? And this is about race? About the man keeping you down? Please.

There are so many examples of racism to choose from (sadly) and this is what you come up with? Lame

What you aren't understanding is this .

Be a Legitimate university make athletes earn their place in the university with real valid classes or don't allow them stay and be a representative of the school carrying bad grades.

Then everything will take care of itself.

Players will be forced to do what's right for them, those who believe college isn't for them will be forced to go elsewhere to hone their basketball skills for a chance for a big payday in the NBA (if they are good enough).

This will evolve a better minor league system in the UNITED STATES , or a lot of young me will be inclined to go to Europe.

This must start with AD's at each university upholding a better definitive standard in maintaning eligibility to honestly represent the school as a (student athlete)

Players who can and will take legit courses and who choose to get their degrees allow them into your schools.

The NCAA can eliminate all the confusion be regulating a real standard of what a student athlete is and should be.

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
playa2

4/12/2008  10:23 AM
Posted by Allanfan20:
Posted by martin:
Posted by knicks1248:
Posted by Allanfan20:

Yup. It's no different than when a certain job requires you to have an associates or a bachelors degree, except this is basketball. NBA ratings are going down to hell, people are complaining about the quality of basketball and lack of fundamentals. We complain about how there's no pure PGs or old school centers or pure shooters and 2 way players. I personally think it's a good idea to bring that quality back, b/c in truth, when you're in the NBA, it's very hard to learn the basic fundamentals besides on your own free time. The one on one game has gotton old and we need to start seeing real basketball.

It's legit when people say that they enjoy college ball more than the NBA.

Yeah I agree the quality of the game has gone down significantly. But what do you do about the Lebrons and the kemps, and moses, who have it right away.

Those guys don't really loose a thing because they are already good enough to play the game. And they come around once every 5-10 years.

I agree Martin, and don't tell me it hurts their families b/c they wont be getting paid. These top athletes and their families, whether legal or illegal, get showered with insane gifts left and right.

These top high school athletes need to be going through some sort of schooling anyway so they have some kind of grip of reality. I always get the sense that a lot of NBA stars don't have that ability at times. It's sad.

Out of 41 high school declarations over the past 20 odd years, only 5-6 went undrafted, then protecting the players isn't a legit excuse, and there is no problem of too many high school kids making the wrong decisions.

2 Yrs Of College To Be Mandated By The NBA

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy