[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2 Yrs Of College To Be Mandated By The NBA
Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/7/2008  9:53 PM
Yup. It's no different than when a certain job requires you to have an associates or a bachelors degree, except this is basketball. NBA ratings are going down to hell, people are complaining about the quality of basketball and lack of fundamentals. We complain about how there's no pure PGs or old school centers or pure shooters and 2 way players. I personally think it's a good idea to bring that quality back, b/c in truth, when you're in the NBA, it's very hard to learn the basic fundamentals besides on your own free time. The one on one game has gotton old and we need to start seeing real basketball.

It's legit when people say that they enjoy college ball more than the NBA.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/7/2008  10:10 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Yup. It's no different than when a certain job requires you to have an associates or a bachelors degree, except this is basketball. NBA ratings are going down to hell, people are complaining about the quality of basketball and lack of fundamentals. We complain about how there's no pure PGs or old school centers or pure shooters and 2 way players. I personally think it's a good idea to bring that quality back, b/c in truth, when you're in the NBA, it's very hard to learn the basic fundamentals besides on your own free time. The one on one game has gotton old and we need to start seeing real basketball.

Yeah I agree the quality of the game has gone down significantly. But what do you do about the Lebrons and the kemps, and moses, who have it right away. The Internatinal game will bring the NBA back to It's orginal style. These young dudes are all raw, and thats evident by the fact that 4 out of 31 teams have walk away with championship banners in the last 10 years.
ES
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/7/2008  10:11 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Yeah I agree the quality of the game has gone down significantly. But what do you do about the Lebrons and the kemps, and moses, who have it right away. The Internatinal game will bring the NBA back to It's orginal style. These young dudes are all raw, and thats evident by the fact that 4 out of 31 teams have walk away with championship banners in the last 10 years.
ES
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
4/7/2008  10:17 PM
I'm curious to hear how this is racist.
Did the NBA say that only black players have to go to college for 2 years,
and white players don't?
Michael6835
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #828
4/7/2008  10:33 PM
I too do not see how this is racist. I think looking at it from a pure business perspective it makes total sense. For both the NCAA and the NBA, now I understand the allure to make the money always trumps staying in school. After all thats one of the biggest reasons for getting a higher education. However, over the past 10 years the league has really been watered down by a bunch of college guys that go in for 1 year and come out. Teams now have to spend time developing these players, with the exception of a Lebron or a carmelo/wade. I don't see whats so wrong, back in the day most of them stayed the entire 4years or at least put in 3. We can all agree the games were much better in the 80 and 90s. This has nothing to with race.
M
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
4/7/2008  10:44 PM
this is interesting. i don't see why if a guy wanted to go pro early he couldn't just go to spain or italy. he'd make around a million and he'd get playing time for 2 yrs, that's not a bad deal. interesting if it gets passed
#Knickstaps
MX25
Member: #555
USA
4/8/2008  12:00 AM
I'm selfish. I love College basketball and 20 year age limit will improve college so much.

Just imagine Durant on Texas this year.

Bayless staying at Arizona to play with Jennings and Budinger.

Ucla keeping Love and Westbrook along with Collison,Holiday,Gordon and Lee

Ohio State with Greg Oden,Kosta Koufus,BJ Mullins,William Buford and Mike Conley

How awesome?

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/8/2008  12:24 AM
Posted by knicks1248:
Posted by Allanfan20:

Yeah I agree the quality of the game has gone down significantly. But what do you do about the Lebrons and the kemps, and moses, who have it right away.

Those guys don't really loose a thing because they are already good enough to play the game. And they come around once every 5-10 years.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
4/8/2008  1:37 AM
i love how foxsports erroneously reported that, does anyone else find that funny/ironic?

martin/andrew, so this thing is not true?
#Knickstaps
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/8/2008  1:41 AM
Posted by martin:
Posted by knicks1248:
Posted by Allanfan20:

Yeah I agree the quality of the game has gone down significantly. But what do you do about the Lebrons and the kemps, and moses, who have it right away.

Those guys don't really loose a thing because they are already good enough to play the game. And they come around once every 5-10 years.

I agree Martin, and don't tell me it hurts their families b/c they wont be getting paid. These top athletes and their families, whether legal or illegal, get showered with insane gifts left and right.

These top high school athletes need to be going through some sort of schooling anyway so they have some kind of grip of reality. I always get the sense that a lot of NBA stars don't have that ability at times. It's sad.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Siar617
Member: #1742
USA
4/8/2008  2:28 AM
the only reason for this is to pay players less money over time
for college they get to make money on the backs of players for nothing
not like they go to school (sad)
jesus617 walks
Ira
Member: #91
4/8/2008  4:58 AM
My problem with this is that I feel everyone has a right to earn a living using his God given talent. The NCAA doesn't pay players and is making a big profit on their skills.
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

4/8/2008  6:42 AM
Anyone who says the policy is not racist is more than likely not black. In a professional league which is over 90% black, the highest percentage for any pro sport, any further restrcitions on membership is antiprogressive. This is antiprogressive because you are adding an educational component.

Let's have all professional sports operate on the premise for the NBA.

Make MLB, NHL, NFL, WSA and all Boxing and PGA players have Associate's Degrees. See how fast that would get shot down then.

Fans need to admit that their reasons for an age limit is their selfishness based on how much pleasure they'd get from watching these guys play in college 2 years, rather than what's in the kid's best interest.

The NBA is basically using colleges as their minors with this move.

Nobody is making NBA teams draft these highschool players are they?

Teams should be free to choose any player that management feels will help their club. If that player is a LeBron at 18, they should be able to do just that, without restrictions.

If hypothetically, another LeBron came along, do you think that the team picking first that year would be in favor of him being forced to go to college for two years, when they have a chance to grab him right out of high school?

No one is saying that if a player wants to go to college, he can't do so. But it should be his choice and the team's choice. No one else's.

I think Stern should make athe NBDL a tighter, more official league A guy like Derrick Caracter reading at a 7th grade level is my point. Where are we going in the future to expect a kid like this to attend 2 years of school? If the D-League becomes more legitimate then we can have more guys NOT attending college and developing their skills there.

I consider it a slap in the face when I hear the ridiculous classes some guys take in order to maintain eligibility. Too many of these guys have no sincere desire to get a diploma, and I respect that, but lets not suit them up by any means necessary and have them represent a university and act like all is fine and dandy. Lets use the D league to develop their basketball, money management and public speaking skills etc, so that if they are drafted by an NBA squad they are better all around individuals......

[Edited by - playa2 on 08-04-2008 07:21]
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
4/8/2008  7:17 AM
Posted by SupremeCommander:

What about the NFL? They have similar policies.

Now, I'm not saying I disagree with you. I wouldn't call it "racist" but something along the lines of "class discriminatory." All these kids go tot he pros out of school because they typically come from poor areas in the inner city where blacktop is a way of life and an escape. I think it is unfair to not allow these kids to get there families out of the street.

I do love NCAA men's hoops. This is a move to get college hoops to be as relevant as used to be and I like this very, very much.

The compromise, I think, is to stop pretending like these are amateur athletes. They make their schools and the NCAA a lot of money. These kids should get some...

Couldn't have said it better myself. I was gonna post about the NFL policy.
~You can't run from who you are.~
playa2

4/8/2008  7:24 AM
Problem is on a plantation the slaves don't get any money for themselves , why do you think the NCAA will ever pay college athletes ?
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/8/2008  8:12 AM
its not race its business. Your insulting everyone's intelligence buy suggesting its racially motivated. The fact that the majority of the talent is black is coincidental.

Of the HS players that have declared in the past maybe 2 in 10 are close to contributing to the NBA. Most float for a few years before being ready. Some totally fade and lose any chance they might have had at a free education in the first place. For every Bynum and Kobe and Lebron there are 5 James Langs, Gerald Greens, Ricky Sanchez, guys that SHOULD have USED the NCAA for a free education.

The tendency is always to look at the Lebrons of the system and harp on the those (like there are so many). The simple fact is most black male basketball players in the NCAA are not going to the NBA, yet the vast majority are getting an education because they play.

Tell me again why thats wrong? Because their sport generates revenue for the college? We just watched a 64 team tourney. Thats over 800 players. How many will be in the NBA in the next 2-3 years? 10? 20? Yet how many will have a chance to get a degree and not have to pay a dime for it? 500? 600? And this is about race? About the man keeping you down? Please.

There are so many examples of racism to choose from (sadly) and this is what you come up with? Lame
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/8/2008  8:32 AM
Posted by fishmike:

its not race its business. Your insulting everyone's intelligence buy suggesting its racially motivated. The fact that the majority of the talent is black is coincidental.

Of the HS players that have declared in the past maybe 2 in 10 are close to contributing to the NBA. Most float for a few years before being ready. Some totally fade and lose any chance they might have had at a free education in the first place. For every Bynum and Kobe and Lebron there are 5 James Langs, Gerald Greens, Ricky Sanchez, guys that SHOULD have USED the NCAA for a free education.

The tendency is always to look at the Lebrons of the system and harp on the those (like there are so many). The simple fact is most black male basketball players in the NCAA are not going to the NBA, yet the vast majority are getting an education because they play.

Tell me again why thats wrong? Because their sport generates revenue for the college? We just watched a 64 team tourney. Thats over 800 players. How many will be in the NBA in the next 2-3 years? 10? 20? Yet how many will have a chance to get a degree and not have to pay a dime for it? 500? 600? And this is about race? About the man keeping you down? Please.

There are so many examples of racism to choose from (sadly) and this is what you come up with? Lame

They're getting a degree but not an education. Is that really a good thing?
Michael6835
4/8/2008  8:34 AM
Posted by Ira:

My problem with this is that I feel everyone has a right to earn a living using his God given talent. The NCAA doesn't pay players and is making a big profit on their skills.

um lets not forget that many if not all of these players get full scholarships to elite schools. We're talking schools that probably cost 30-50k/year. So this notion that NCAA doesn't pay them is just a joke, sure they make a whole lot more money by televising the games, but it's a trade off. Players get exposure, get recognized
M
Michael6835
4/8/2008  8:40 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by fishmike:

Still a free ride.
M
playa2

4/8/2008  9:00 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by fishmike:

Bonn posters don't care about these young men getting an education, just like the NCAA doesn't care. As long as they entertain for free it's all good.

[Edited by - playa2 on 08-04-2008 09:01]
2 Yrs Of College To Be Mandated By The NBA

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy