[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Charlie Ward staying put? or being hyped?
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
10/5/2001  12:25 PM
Anyone have any Inside info on charlie and his status? I agree that he might just be good insurance if Jackson gets either traded or injured in the future!

AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
10/5/2001  2:18 PM
This is what Chad Ford from Insider had to say (recap):

Scott Layden and Jeff Van Gundy Thursday put an end to all rumors that point guard Charlie Ward is on his way out, presumably to Golden State. That is a big relief to Rockets fans, who were sweating an earlier Peter Vecsey report that the Knicks were trying to land one of the Warriors' big men by dangling Ward, thus clearing the way for the Warriors to match Marc Jackson's offer sheet with the Rockets.

Ward, who has been on the media's trading block since he arrived in New York, was mentioned in several trade scenarios this summer, mostly involving the Warriors. However, a big contract combined with a 15-percent trade kicker was enough to scare just about everyone away. Ward, who is in a battle with Mark Jackson and Howard Eisley for minutes at point guard sounds like the Knicks' guy -- at least for now.

"My point to Charlie was I don't want him to think -- because of what is being rumored -- that he's being phased out," Van Gundy told the New York Post. "Charlie's meant too much to our team and personally to me to [have him] think I would make a decision like that. I also said to him, 'No one can say they'll never be traded.' However, Layden said he anticipated that all three point guards would be on the Knicks' roster at the start of the season.

That revelation lifts another stumbling block for the Rockets, who have yet to hear back from the Warriors as to whether they'll match Houston's offer sheet to Marc Jackson. Sources close to the Warriors have told Insider that they will not match the offer if they cannot move one of their big men. With the Knicks now presumably out of the picture, it looks like Jackson is even more likely to go to the Rockets.

The Warriors have 12 more days to mull things over, but sources close to the Rockets still expect to hear something from the Warriors soon.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
knickfan4life8
Member: #92
USA
10/5/2001  2:42 PM
I think the knicks are just trying to make Ward feel appreciated, in case a deal does not go down. It's no good for the team to have a disgruntled player by making him feel like he's as good as gone when he's still part of the team.

I think Van Gundy and Layden did the right thing. It's not like they lied to him. Van Gundy did tell Ward that no player should think that he is untradeable. I just think they were trying to create a good team atmosphere before the season starts. We all know Ward is still on the trading block. But at this point in time, he is still a knick, and I think the coach and GM were trying to reinforce that.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/5/2001  8:47 PM
The fact is we have one too many point guards and we're one short of a solid center. Whether it's for Ostertag, Foyle, Dampier, or anyone else Charlie Ward will eventually be gone no matter what in my perspective. But for right now i am happy with what we have and feel Thomas and Harrington can both see some minutes at center. Unfortunately, if we were to get a true back-up center, Harrington would probably be knocked out of the rotation and thats the bad part of this whole deal because he deserves his time. But right now, here's what i think our rotation looks like.
C Marcus Camby(36mpg) Harrington(12mpg,6 at PF,6 at center).
PF Kurt Thomas(30mpg,24 at PF,6 at center) Weatherspoon(18mpg).
SF Latrell Sprewell(39mpg) Shandon Anderson(20mpg).
SG Allan Houston(37mpg) Sprewell.
PG Mark Jackson(28mpg) Eisley(20mpg).
Charlie Ward staying put? or being hyped?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy