playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

1/7/2008  11:53 AM
COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Concerned Hewitt talks to family of jailed Bynum

By Matt Winkeljohn
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/07/08

Just hours after an Israeli court ruled Sunday to extend the jail term of former Georgia Tech basketball player Will Bynum at least until Tuesday on suspicion of hitting a man with his car in Tel Aviv on Friday, his former college coach stood by him.

Tech coach Paul Hewitt, who has maintained a relationship with Bynum since the 6-foot guard spent the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons with the Yellow Jackets, said after Sunday's win over Presbyterian that he has not spoken with his former player, but he has been in contact with Bynum's agent and family members.

"I reached out to his agent [Saturday night]. He called me [Sunday]," Hewitt said. "We've been in touch with his family. I wasn't there, but I've heard details. All I can say is Will is a family man now.

"He recently lost his dad. He's now taking care of his mom financially. I would be very surprised if Will Bynum did anything to jeopardize the way he earns a living."

Various reports from Israeli news sources said that Bynum, a member of the Maccabi Tel Aviv team, and teammates were involved in an altercation Friday night at a Tel Aviv nightclub.

Tel Aviv police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said that a 25-year-old man was arrested by police before dawn Saturday after he drove away from the scene and ran over a 22-year-old man, seriously injuring him.

Maccabi Tel Aviv spokesman Nitzan Seraro said the player was Bynum, who turned 25 Friday.

Bynum, a Chicago playground legend, played at Arizona from 2001-03 before transferring to Tech. As a junior, he scored key baskets in NCAA tournament wins over Nevada and Kansas, and his layup with 1.5 seconds left helped the Jackets beat Oklahoma State 66-64 in an NCAA semifinal.

He has spent time with the NBA's Golden State Warriors, and the Boston Celtics signed him briefly. He has played with Maccabi Tel Aviv, the Israeli champion, the past season-plus.

Hewitt said Bynum plans to marry his longtime girlfriend this summer. The couple has a daughter.

"I just think pro athletes have to be careful now wherever they go," said Hewitt, who declined to relay details he said he had obtained. "Not that Will was ever an immature kid, but he understands how much he means to his family."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zeke is bound to sign this kid up knowing he's from Chicago too.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
1/7/2008  12:00 PM
that is sad. I hope he makes it out OK.. i just don't understand why these players can't stay out of mess, especially overseas.. I would just go over there, play, workout, shop, eat and come the hell home.... when I get back to the states, there will be plenty of time to hit the club..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
playa2

1/7/2008  6:15 PM
This seem to be an issue concerning him trying to hit on a black jewish girl in a mostly traditional jewish enviorment club.

This is who Bynum's alleged incident was with: The African Hebrew Israelite Nation of Jerusalem (also known as The African Hebrew Israelites of Jerusalem or Black Hebrews) is a small religious group whose members believe they are descended from the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel.

Origins
The group was founded in Chicago by a former steel worker named Ben Carter, who was given the name Ben Ammi Ben-Israel upon joining the Hebrew Israelite community in Chicago. Denouncing the name Ben Carter because it was his slave name. Ben Ammi states he had a "vision," in which the Archangel Gabriel revealed to him that African Americans were descended from the "lost tribe of Judah", claiming that they descended from Jews that after being expelled from Jerusalem and migrating for a thousand years ended up in West Africa and were later transported to America as slaves (see the book of Deutoronomy chapter 28, verse 68).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bynum told police that he did was unaware that he had hit anyone with his car. Police say that the player is cooperating with their inquiry, but that his version of events is substantially different from testimony provided by eyewitnesses.
Advertisement

Police believe that Bynum arrived at the G-Spot nightclub just before midnight on Friday to celebrate his 25th birthday. He was accompanied by his brother and was joined by a few friends, including his Maccabi Tel Aviv teammate and former Philadelphia 76ers star Vonteego Cummings. Police say there were also players from other teams at the nightclub, which is popular with professional athletes.

"During the course of the night," the officer in charge of the investigation, Rafi Regev, said, "some sort of spat developed between Bynum and another group at the nightclub - members of the Hebrew Israelite Community in Dimona.

Bynum rejected the youths' claim that the argument began when he made advances toward a woman from the Dimona group. Bynum said he was provoked into a scuffle when one of the group pushed him over. The scuffle quickly died down and the club's security staff were not called in. When Bynum, his brother and Cummings left the club at around 5:30, however, he was greeted outside by five youths from Dimona, and within minutes fists and stones were flying. According to eyewitnesses, Bynum and his brother ran to his car, which was parked nearby, got in and drove toward the group. After hitting one member of the group, Bynum sped off.

Police say that when they arrived at Bynum's apartment some two hours later he did not appear surprised to see them, but protested his innocence when told of the accusations against him. An inspection of Bynum's car found obvious indications of an accident, including bloodstains. Cummings and Bynum's brother were detained, but released after submitting depositions.

Eyewitness accounts and forensic evidence would seem to dispel any doubt that the 22-year-old was run over. Ppolice will now have to determine whether Bynum was aware that he had hit someone, or whether - in the heat of the moment - he was genuinely unaware that someone had been hurt.

Maccabi Tel Aviv chairman Shimon Mizrahi, who represented Bynum in court (while David Federman provided the player with simultaneous translation of the hearing), told the court, "When Will Bynum left the nightclub, there were 20 people waiting for him outside, one of them carrying a knife."

Before last night's arraignment, however, Mizrahi called a press conference at which he said that the team would punish Bynum and Cummings severely if it was proved that they were involved in any wrongdoing.

[Edited by - playa2 on 07-01-2008 18:23]
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
playa2

1/8/2008  8:45 AM
Anybody ever heard of this group:The African Hebrew Israelite Nation of Jerusalem (also known as The African Hebrew Israelites of Jerusalem or Black Hebrews) is a small religious group whose members believe they are descended from the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
1/8/2008  12:45 PM
Posted by playa2:

Anybody ever heard of this group:The African Hebrew Israelite Nation of Jerusalem (also known as The African Hebrew Israelites of Jerusalem or Black Hebrews) is a small religious group whose members believe they are descended from the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel.

I heard of them, but thats only because of Bobby and Whitney. They stayed with the Black Hebrews while in Israel.
O.T Will Bynum in trouble Overseas

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy