playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

6/21/2003  6:10 PM
Regrettable picks: Bad draft-day decisions
June 20, 2003

George Winkler
Sporting News

Don't pick the next Sam Bowie. That should be the goal of every GM entering the NBA draft on June 26.

In 1984, Portland took the Kentucky forward No. 2 overall -- after Houston got Hakeem Olajuwon and before Chicago landed Michael Jordan.

Bowie averaged 10.9 points over 11 seasons. What about Jordan? The best scoring average of all-time and six championships "seem" to qualify this as a value pick for the Bulls.

Since Bowie, others have stood out like a sore thumb because of the standouts that followed them in the draft.

From the top

The man in the middle. In 1993, Philadelphia sandwiches Shawn Bradley between Chris Webber (No. 1 to Orlando) and Anfernee Hardaway (No. 3 to Golden State). The Sixers aren't the first to fall for a big man's promise, but the 7-6 Bradley is traded to New Jersey two-plus seasons later. Meanwhile, Webber and Hardaway swap teams on draft day and go on to become All-Stars.

An ordinary Joe. Golden State gets Joe Smith No. 1 overall in 1995, but the next four players -- Antonio McDyess, Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace and Kevin Garnett -- arguably have more talent. Trepidation over KG becoming the first high school player drafted in more than 20 years contributes to his drop. The philosophy changes just six years later when three of the top four picks are preps.

Small-school blues. After the Spurs get David Robinson No. 1 overall in 1987, UNLV's Armon Gilliam goes to Phoenix, Ohio State's Dennis Hopson to New Jersey and Georgetown's Reggie Williams to the Clippers. That leaves Central Arkansas' Scottie Pippen for Seattle. Then, the Sonics mess with their good fortune by trading Pippen to Chicago for Olden Polynice, a second-round pick and the option to swap first-rounders later.

Lowly lower picks

Vitaly Potapenko. Cleveland takes Potapenko No. 12. The next three players to go in 1996 are Kobe Bryant (Charlotte), Peja Stojakovic (Sacramento) and Steve Nash (Phoenix).

Larry Hughes. It's 1998 and the Sixers need a guard to pair with Allen Iverson and think Hughes at No. 9 is the answer. It's hard to believe Larry Brown couldn't have made the picks that followed -- Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce or Bonzi Wells -- work better.

Chris Wilcox. The list isn't complete without at least one Clippers gaffe. It's early but Wilcox at No. 8 last year looks like a bad choice before Rookie of the Year Amare Stoudemire.

Jazz stingers

Washington takes Kenny Green No. 12 in 1985 before Karl Malone. No wonder the Bullets had to change their name.

It's back to 1984 when Dallas takes Terence Stansbury at No. 15 before John Stockton. Who knew the little guy from Gonzaga would go so long?

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
playa2

6/23/2003  6:34 AM
Now tell me how can Layden be the only GM who should be ridiculed, just look at the blunders of other GM's who had higher picks and got Lemons.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Pike
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #403
6/23/2003  10:52 AM
... so your argument is... because others have made bad draft choices, Layden shouldn't be ridiculed? Is that what your saying... to which I reply... ridiculous.
necrom33
Member: #234
USA
6/23/2003  11:30 AM
Posted by Pike:

... so your argument is... because others have made bad draft choices, Layden shouldn't be ridiculed? Is that what your saying... to which I reply... ridiculous.

LOL. Easier than arguing, huh?
playa2

6/23/2003  1:09 PM
No nec, some of you guys act like he is the 'ONLY GM" that has made blunders that effected the team .
Pike
Member: #403
6/23/2003  1:10 PM
The man has been wrong about everything he's done... what the heck else do you want?
playa2

7/1/2003  6:39 AM
Pike I see is that you're fiending for a championship, go take some methadome and call me in january. NY will be fine my friend
Regretable picks of the past

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy