Sweetney
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/9/2003  2:55 PM
from insider:
"Mike Sweetney also helped himself. For big men, teams look at standing reach. Despite measuring just 6-foot-8 with shoes, Sweetney's standing reach was just a hair under nine feet. That puts him in the same category with Bosh. In other words, like Elton Brand, Sweetney will be able to play "taller" than he actually is. "
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/9/2003  3:26 PM
Posted by fishmike:

from insider:
"Mike Sweetney also helped himself. For big men, teams look at standing reach. Despite measuring just 6-foot-8 with shoes, Sweetney's standing reach was just a hair under nine feet. That puts him in the same category with Bosh. In other words, like Elton Brand, Sweetney will be able to play "taller" than he actually is. "

From Watching Sweetney play:

"ike Sweetney can put up good numbers VS inferior competition and still manage to have a small impact on a game. Sweetney is not the athlete Brand is, nor does he posess the touch or Body control that Brand does. And his long arms put him in the same class with Chris Bosh whil they are standing on the floor, but when they jump it is a whole different story. Bosh is a very athletic leaper. Sweetney isn't..
The point is Sweetney although he has long arms, and similar body type to Brand, Does not make him Brand,or bosh, or for that matter Spoon..haha.."
I don't need insider to tell me that!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
fishmike
USA
6/9/2003  3:35 PM
which game are you talking about? I only saw him 4 manybe 5 times and he looked like a man among boys. Now plenty of guys play that way in college but its a whole different story in the NBA (just ask Kurt Thomas). My thing with Sweetney is it didnt seem to matter what kind of player he was going against, he still dominated AND scoring in double teams.

If you saw something different tell me about it. After I was him the first time I looked at his stats and see a guy going for 23/10/3
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/9/2003  3:44 PM
Posted by fishmike:

which game are you talking about? I only saw him 4 manybe 5 times and he looked like a man among boys. Now plenty of guys play that way in college but its a whole different story in the NBA (just ask Kurt Thomas). My thing with Sweetney is it didnt seem to matter what kind of player he was going against, he still dominated AND scoring in double teams.

If you saw something different tell me about it. After I was him the first time I looked at his stats and see a guy going for 23/10/3

How many of those Games did the Hoyas win? I saw sweetney put up good numbers in the NIT and lose to inferior talent. He seems to be a guy who can put up numbers but never affect the game to the degree that his stats imply.... I don't want a player like that..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
fishmike
USA
6/9/2003  3:50 PM
"He seems to be a guy who can put up numbers but never affect the game to the degree that his stats imply.... I don't want a player like that.."

That may be very fair. Thats always been my arguement for trading Kurt Thomas. His 14 points a game dont change the outcome, and he leads the Knicks in rebounding because somebody has too. Also, the better Kurt's #s have gotten the worse the Knicks record is.

Its hard to make that kind of judgement on Sweetney because I dont know enough about his team.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/9/2003  3:59 PM
Also, the better Kurt's #s have gotten the worse the Knicks record is.

Exactly. Exactly. One more time...Exactly. Remember that old story..a mediocre player on a bad team will put up decent numbers. Sniff sniff...smells a lot like KT around here.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
fishmike
USA
6/9/2003  4:22 PM
hey....it goes both ways too. Sprewell played on terrible teams before NY and Webber was AWFULL in Wash. Sometimes thats just not a fair way to judge. It comes down to the skills and workouts. These guys get put under a microscope and the bottom line is "can this player help us"

I see Sweetney as a major upgrade at out weakest position: PF. Just because we have like 9 of them doesnt mean we are set there. Sweetney would be a major upgrade over Spoon and Harrington right away, in scoring, rebounding and shotblocking.
DefAndReb
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #336
6/9/2003  4:47 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I see Sweetney as a major upgrade at out weakest position: PF. Just because we have like 9 of them doesnt mean we are set there. Sweetney would be a major upgrade over Spoon and Harrington right away, in scoring, rebounding and shotblocking.

No, he wouldn't. Those guys would eat him alive in his first season. No way Sweetney, in his rookie season, gets minutes over Harrington.

Only twice has the 9th pick been a viable starter out of the gate. Pierce and Amare. Both picked lower not because of talent but because of perceived work ethic, which turned out to be a misperceptions in both cases.

Sweetney may turn out to be an upgrade two or three seasons from now, but he'll never be a "major" upgrade.
fishmike
USA
6/9/2003  4:56 PM
very strong players have come at 9 and 10 in recent years.
Butler, Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, Jason Terry, Dirk Nowitzki and Paul Pierce.

If he needs to adjust fine, look at someone like Zack Randolph...now he's one of the more promising guys in the NBA. We NEVER have those kind of players. At this point I am happy if we draft *anyone* that actually makes the roster.
DefAndReb
Member: #336
6/9/2003  5:52 PM
I wouldn't mind having one of those kinds of guys, either. I'm not also not saying the Knicks won't get lucky and draft a gem who busts out later. But "later" is the key term.

Even Dirk struggled his first season, then went off the second season.

What I'm saying is, Sweetney may be good later, but he will not be as good as Harrington or Spoon out of the gate. If I'm wrong, then I say good for Sweetney. But, don't expect anyone we pick at 9 to be better than our current mediocre starting 5 for next season.

rain
Member: #353
USA
6/9/2003  7:28 PM
Fishmike... his upside is limited. His power game won't translate in the NBA. His leaping ability is poor. He will make a nice role player. But I don't want a role player at #9... Lampe, Kaman, Badaine all have more upside and will contribute in areas Sweetney can't. Give me someone that can be a star.
Sweetney

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy