[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

new york mets thread- off-season thread
Author Thread
Cookdcokehop
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #880
USA
1/29/2008  4:29 PM
WE GOT JOHAN B ITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-01-29-twins-mets-santana_N.htm
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
1/29/2008  4:58 PM
congrats to u guys... i'm just happy the Bosux didn't get him.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
1/29/2008  5:32 PM
YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Minaya is back in my good graces again. Now should he sign a fifth starter like lohse or hernandez or use pelfrey? but we landed an ace, probably one of the best in the league.
TMS
USA
1/29/2008  11:43 PM
there go those Mets trying to buy championships again.

OMG! what about competitive balance?!?!

[Edited by - TMS on 01-29-2008 9:39 PM]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Cookdcokehop
Member: #880
USA
1/31/2008  12:49 PM
Posted by TMS:

there go those Mets trying to buy championships again.

OMG! what about competitive balance?!?!

[Edited by - TMS on 01-29-2008 9:39 PM]

Don't complain the Yankees been doing it for years. Your ballboy probably makes 8 mill
TMS
USA
1/31/2008  10:02 PM
haha, i'm not complaining bro... just pokin' fun at the Met fans on this thread who keep harping about how the Yankees have an unfair advantage playing in a big market & spending all the money to acquire or keep their top talent... u guys just got Johan & he'll be the highest paid pitcher in the history of baseball, so please stop all the whining about how much money the Yankees spend already & be happy with your own damn team.
jazz74
Member: #371
2/3/2008  9:19 AM
you two are at it already? jeez, can't the two of you wait until the season starts? man, i don't want to ref between you two until then. lol! well, this has been a great off season right before spring training. miniya outdid himself. now we have to finish the job in september. our rotation and bullpen being healthy is the main step.
jaydh
Member: #96
2/3/2008  12:04 PM
I am pretty confident that if something goes wrong in the pen or rotation that we have a suitable backup(Pelfrey for SP, Kunz or Smith for RP) waiting in the wings(AAA). The real question now is whether or not the depth (Castro,Easly,M.Anderson,Gotay,Chavez) can step it up like they did last season. With the exception of Chavez and Gotay(since he is a rookie) they all had career years in their role. A big bat who can play 1B and corner OF would be ideal.

....Read somewhere that FMart will start in AAA this year. Maybe he is the answer later in the season?

[Edited by - jaydh on 02-03-2008 12:05 PM]
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
3/31/2008  4:14 PM
LET'SGOMETS!!!
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
93BUICK
Member: #1175
USA
3/31/2008  8:34 PM
W!
If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
eViL
USA
4/11/2008  3:56 PM
Glad we took that series against the Phillies. Also, happy to see that rivalry heat up. It's gonna make this season very interesting.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
eViL
USA
4/19/2008  11:31 AM
Things are pickin' up. Santana looked good last night. The bats looked good too. And I never get tired of beating Philly. LET'S GO METS!!!
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/27/2008  10:53 AM
omar = isiah thomas

anybody else notice the similarities?
jaydh
Member: #96
5/27/2008  11:13 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

omar = isiah thomas

since when did isiah ever pull off a good trade or sign capable guys who were just too injury prone?
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/27/2008  11:33 AM
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by djsunyc:

omar = isiah thomas

since when did isiah ever pull off a good trade or sign capable guys who were just too injury prone?

omar has his guys he brought here and has given them carte blanche.

everything is he says is "willie this" or "willie that"...he never talks about the job he's been doing.

his "pet" in pedro gave the mets one big year, then is basically allowed to stay in the dominican while he's nursing his injuries.

he's also put together a divided lockerroom (with cancerous elements).

the tendencies are similar. baseball has 25+ players...everyone is bound to make a good move or two...but omar is talking about the team having "championship talent" just like isiah talks about the knicks having talent.

looking more and more like 2006 was the blip on the radar.

btw, i think peterson has done more damage than anybody else in the franchise in the past 5+ years.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 05-27-2008 11:34 AM]
TMS
USA
5/27/2008  1:07 PM
it's pretty scary but the Mets are a sub .500 team since last May.
TMS
USA
5/27/2008  2:18 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by djsunyc:

omar = isiah thomas

omar has his guys he brought here and has given them carte blanche.

everything is he says is "willie this" or "willie that"...he never talks about the job he's been doing.

his "pet" in pedro gave the mets one big year, then is basically allowed to stay in the dominican while he's nursing his injuries.

he's also put together a divided lockerroom (with cancerous elements).

the tendencies are similar. baseball has 25+ players...everyone is bound to make a good move or two...but omar is talking about the team having "championship talent" just like isiah talks about the knicks having talent.

looking more and more like 2006 was the blip on the radar.

btw, i think peterson has done more damage than anybody else in the franchise in the past 5+ years.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 05-27-2008 11:34 AM]

i thought Omar left Willie out to dry in that press conference & Willie didn't appreciate it at all... i don't blame him for cutting the press conference short & walking out the way he did.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
5/28/2008  9:37 AM
Doctors See Danger in Letting Church Play

Experts in the field of concussion management strongly criticized the Mets on Tuesday for their handling of Ryan Church, saying that he has been put at significant medical risk by continuing to play through dizziness, lethargy and headaches.

Church sustained what the team called a mild concussion on May 20 against the Braves. While sliding into second base, his head slammed into the knee of an opponent and then fell hard onto the dirt. He missed the next game, but volunteered to pinch-hit four times since.

On Tuesday, after seeing a neurologist at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, Church complained of continued dizziness. Rather than report to Shea Stadium for the Mets’ game against the Florida Marlins, he stayed at his Manhattan apartment. Mets General Manager Omar Minaya said Church was day to day and would be evaluated at the ballpark Wednesday, and perhaps cleared to play in the series finale.

Several experts in sports-related concussions, however, said that Church — who has told reporters that he has had a headache and has felt dizzy and tired almost every day since his injury — should not have been allowed to play at all because his symptoms had not cleared.

The experts said common guidelines for concussion management require that athletes be free of symptoms — sometimes for several days — both before and after physical exertion before they can return to competition. They also said that because Church had sustained a more severe concussion in spring training that cost him a week, the risks for him were greater.

“That’s a situation that could be very dangerous,” said Dr. Mickey Collins, assistant director of the University of Pittsburgh Center for Sports Medicine’s concussion program. “I haven’t examined this player personally, but if there were a second trauma to a person still experiencing symptoms, the risk could be much higher to a player’s health because he hasn’t healed from the first concussion.”

Dr. Robert Cantu of Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, one of the nation’s leading experts in concussion management, said: “You’re playing roulette with your patient. You know the chances of him having another concussion are low, but you’re running the risk of exacerbating the symptoms that he does have. Now a person who would be asymptomatic in a week or two can have those symptoms go on for many months.”

Church was unavailable for comment Tuesday night, and members of the Mets’ medical staff were unavailable because of team policy; a Mets spokesman referred all questions to Minaya. “We’ve been cautious, and we will continue to be cautious” in the team’s handling of Church, Minaya said.

Minaya emphasized that a CT scan of Church the night of his injury showed no damage, and that a magnetic resonance imaging test Tuesday was also negative. Minaya and Manager Willie Randolph said the club had relied principally upon Church’s reports to trainers about how he felt before each game, and sometimes during it, in deciding if he was available to play.

“It’s his call,” Randolph said. He added: “He’s been feeling a little bit groggy, and most of what he feels is that uneasiness with his total, you know, mind. It’s kind of weird because he feels like he’s kind of foggy. He says he can hit, he can do that. But in the outfield, he’s unstable out there.”

Randolph added: “When you’re talking about head injuries, I’m pretty lame on that. I don’t even know how to respond to, you know, when we can put him out there.”

Church has gone 1 for 4 as a pinch-hitter since the concussion. Before almost every game, he has told reporters of symptoms. At one point he said, “I’m just sick of feeling like this.”

Minaya said Tuesday that Church had told Mets trainers before each game that he was symptom-free. Minaya added that Church had not seen a neurologist between his exam after the injury and Tuesday’s visit.

Last year, the National Football League faced criticism for its handling of concussions, but this is the first time since then that a Major League Baseball team has been in a similar position. The Mets began having players take baseline neuropsychological tests in spring training so that they could be tested against them after an injury; however, Church did not take a test, Minaya said, because of time restrictions.

“My understanding is that it’s a long test,” he said. “If I’m not mistaken, it’s about a half-hour or more.”

Cantu said that a player experiencing Church’s symptoms would almost certainly have his reaction time impaired, leaving him at greater risk of being hit by a pitch. He said that Church, 29, would not be at risk of second-impact syndrome, which has killed or seriously injured dozens of high school football players in the last 10 years, because that result is almost unheard of outside of teenagers.

“Many people have dramatically worsened their symptoms by going from just walking around to making the jump back to sprinting or jogging,” Cantu said. “This guy didn’t run the risk of long-term brain damage by going up to bat, assuming he wouldn’t be hit in the head. But he did run the risk of having to run out a double or a triple and exacerbating his symptoms to the point where he’d be out a month or a lot more.”

Corey Koskie can testify to that. After sustaining a concussion in July 2006 while playing for the Brewers, Koskie attempted to come back despite symptoms including headaches, dizziness and nausea. He experienced far more severe symptoms for six months, and eventually had to retire.

“That’s pretty much the reason I’m here today — thinking I could play through it,” Koskie said in a telephone interview from his home in Minnesota.

Regarding Church, he added: “I think he’s nuts. He doesn’t want to get to the point where he’s not going to get better. Tell him to call me. It’s not worth it.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

If true, that's just unconscionable for them to do.

Throw a lame medical staff into the "omar = isiah thomas" comparison.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
eViL
USA
6/12/2008  4:55 PM
Man, this team is the all-time worst team to cheer for. I can't believe I'm saying that on a Knicks board... HAHAHA!!! Terrible, just terrible. Where are all my Mets fans here? Am I the only one that's disgusted??
TMS
USA
6/13/2008  3:05 AM
bro, i know this sounds crazy but i think Ozzie Guillen would be the perfect MGR for the Mets right now... he could get through to the Latin players on your team & he's a loose cannon, something that i think could play out well in Flushing... i would never in a million years want a guy like Ozzie managing the Yanks but i think he'd be a better fit for u guys than Willie... i think a lotta the guys on the Mets are getting disenchanted w/his style of managing & it shows.

i love Willie & he's forever a Yankee in my eyes, but i don't think he deserves to be wasting his time on a team that doesn't wanna play hard for him every night.

[Edited by - TMS on 06-13-2008 12:06 AM]
new york mets thread- off-season thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy