[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

new york mets thread- off-season thread
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/5/2007  7:06 PM
getting Dontrelle from the Tigers, now there's an idea i think is realistic for u guys... they just gave up Maybin in that trade... that means they may be looking for a young OFer to replace him... if u'r willing to give up Gomez & either Pelfrey or Humber for Willis, i think u can get a deal done there to shore up your starting staff.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
majorleads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1213

12/5/2007  8:08 PM
Posted by TMS:

getting Dontrelle from the Tigers, now there's an idea i think is realistic for u guys... they just gave up Maybin in that trade... that means they may be looking for a young OFer to replace him... if u'r willing to give up Gomez & either Pelfrey or Humber for Willis, i think u can get a deal done there to shore up your starting staff.

No way do I want Dontrelle and I was a HUGE fan of his when I lived in Florida. He's nowhere near the same pitcher he was a few years back. His body has changed a lot and he's not as flexible in his back and doesn't get that good turn with fluid motion he used to have. I'd much rather see what Pelfrey can do. Dude has good stuff, just needs to work out the nerves. If the Tigers would take back Humber/Heilman and someone other than Gomez, I'd take a chance on Willis, other than that, I'm not trading Gomez or Pelfrey for him. I'd rather put Willis in the outfield and let him hit for 162 games than see him pitch.
http://majorleads.blogspot.com
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
12/6/2007  9:52 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by jazz74:

time is ticking for the mets. they seem to be in talks but other teams seem to be more aggressive. johan is a pipe dream with boston most likely getting him or he may just remain with the twins. haren looks less likely too since i haven't heard ANY news on him and probably the yankees will land him because of their prospects. bedard is the safest bet but i heard that the o's want perez or maine for him which would definately set us back BIG time. more and more it looks like that milledge trade has definately hurt us.

how would trading Perez or Maine for Bedard set u guys back at all? hell, u'd be crazy not to trade BOTH those guys for a guy like Bedard... he's much better than either of them... u can always sign a middle of the rotation type pitcher, but a frontline ace starter is almost impossible to acquire, as you've all seen from the Santana & Haren trade discussions... i highly doubt those guys will get you Bedard back in a trade... u'd probably have to throw in your best prospect Martinez and Gomez along w/1 of those guys to get the deal done.

you are true that bedard is a better pitcher than the two of them and they he is an ace. however, i thought all in all that our rotation when healthy was one of the best in the national league. you had a third or fourth rotation starter winning 15 games and that is impressive. why change it? would we get the same signing charon or hernandez? it is all about winning games consistently and even though maine had his slumps, he is very consistent as well as perez. why break it? now if it is for santana, then the story is different. santana could possibly give you 20+ wins and a future hof. then i would include maine or perez. with bedard, i think it is uncertain and not gauranteed that he will flourish in a big market anyway. even haren i would have my reservations trading maine and perez. that is my opinion. however, minaya better do something quick. he accomplish nothing at the winter's meeting but talking to sny everyday.

jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
12/8/2007  1:32 PM
per Metsblog:

"...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

…having talked with a variety of people over the last few days, ranging from those who are connected to the team to people connected to player reps to those who work in media and for teams who are following the negotiations, from what i can gather, Johan Santana prefers to be on the Mets, where he can a) be in New York City, and b) get out of the hitter-dominant American League…

…the Twins are well aware of this, and are willing to accommodate his request, while also trying to maximize the level of talent they get in return…

…so, over the last few days, if not longer, the Twins have been speaking on and off with the Mets, who are willing to flood them with young talent, but who refuse to provide a major-league ready, immediate-impact player, like Jose Reyes…

…since the Yankees and Red Sox will not part with more than one or two of their best prospects, acquiring up to five or six semi-developed, high-ceiling players from the Mets is starting to be Minnesota’s most attractive option, and they’re comfortable with that - especially considering that santana can ‘strongly suggest’ he end up in Queens, seeing as he has a full no-trade clause…as such, the Mets and Twins have essentially agreed upon what players can and cannot be involved in the trade, and so it’s now up to santana and his agents to frame out a contract extension…

…however, while santana wants a seven-year contract, the Mets - like most teams - will not offer more than five…and understandably so, since a) it is nearly impossible to get such a contract insured, especially for a pitcher, and b) it is widely believed that the Yankees and Red Sox will not have offered him such a long-term deal either…at the same time, he is the best pitcher in baseball, and believes he should be compensated at or above the same level as Barry Zito, which is understandable, as well…the thing is, i do sense that he and his agents are willing to work out a solution to get him to Queens, and so they will not take a hard-line position like zito and Scott Boras did…

…in other words, from what i can tell, if santana doesn’t end up on the Mets, it most likely means that either a) he and the Mets could not agree to the terms of a contract extension, b) the Twins simply chose to keep him for one more opening day, or c) the Twins had no choice but to skip over the Mets to accept a much-better offer that they couldn’t refuse, and santana did not stand in their way, which all is still very possible…

…i still do not have my hopes up, but i do have hope…"
TMS
USA
12/8/2007  6:33 PM
who the hell is Matt Cerrone? is this a fan posting on his blog on what he thinks will happen w/the Johan negotiations? mine as well have quoted 1 of us while you were at it.
Matthew Cerrone is the lead writer and creator of MetsBlog.com; the most popular team-sports blog on the Internet, read by more than 35,000 baseball fans every day, most all of whom are Mets fans.

Prior to making MetsBlog.com a full-time job in 2006, Cerrone worked as a communication strategist for politicians, authors and entertainers.

not exactly what you call Peter Gammons or even Buster Olney type credentials there.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Cookdcokehop
Member: #880
USA
12/12/2007  4:59 PM
The Milledge for Church deal reminds me of the Rudy Gay for Shane Battier trade to a lesser degree.
Cookdcokehop
Member: #880
USA
12/13/2007  1:06 AM
WOW...I heard Chipper Jones might be on the Mitchell report
TMS
USA
12/13/2007  1:50 AM
i have a feeling a lot of names we never suspected will be on that report, probably several from both NY teams.
jaydh
12/18/2007  4:06 PM
per Metsblog:

The Mets have signed free-agent RHP Matt Wise to a one-year contract.

Wise, 32, was 3-2 with one save and a 4.19 ERA in a career-high 56 games last year for the Brewers.

Mets GM Omar Minaya, on Wise…

“Matt has had success in a variety of roles. He adds a versatile arm to the bullpen.”

Since 2005, Wise has posted a 3.27 ERA against the NL East.

…if i recall correctly, he was on course for a dominant season, but fell apart in late July after hitting a batter in the head…after that, it’s like his wheels came off and he could not find the strike zone to save his life…hopefully this has worked itself out…

He had a 2.19 ERA in June.

He then hit Pedro Feliz in the head, had a 4.22 ERA in July, had a 7.71 ERA in August and had a 10.38 ERA in September
jazz74
12/22/2007  3:08 PM
mets' off-season has almost equally disgust me as the knicks. no question we needeed to bolster our bullpen but matt wise? he did worse as the year went on. we should have kept mota then. plus i like how we let the d-backs get haren instead of us being in the mix making them automatically the team to beat. we are probably 5th in our league right now if we are lucky. now we are said to go after louhse. what the hell? i also can't stand minaya pulling an isiah saying " i like our team". stfu! randolph didn't sugar coat it , he straight up said we need pitching. with our luck, the cubs or phillies will get bedard while we are left out in the dust.
majorleads

12/23/2007  3:30 AM
Posted by jazz74:

mets' off-season has almost equally disgust me as the knicks. no question we needeed to bolster our bullpen but matt wise? he did worse as the year went on. we should have kept mota then. plus i like how we let the d-backs get haren instead of us being in the mix making them automatically the team to beat. we are probably 5th in our league right now if we are lucky. now we are said to go after louhse. what the hell? i also can't stand minaya pulling an isiah saying " i like our team". stfu! randolph didn't sugar coat it , he straight up said we need pitching. with our luck, the cubs or phillies will get bedard while we are left out in the dust.

The D-Backs were able to get Haren because they have a stocked minor league system. We don't. Omar has only been here a few years and it's going to take awhile for him to build back a farm system that was left in shambles because of Steve Phill****s. Blowing out our farm system for ONE player is not a recipe for future success. That is the Isiah Thomas way. I wish some Mets fan would stop with the Isiah Thomas rotisserie way of building a team.

Yes we need pitching, but unfortunately they don't grow on trees. What we need is to build our farm system. That should be the #1 priority now.

jaydh
1/5/2008  5:17 PM
Mets Trade Meyers, Coles For Cubs' Pagan
5th January, 2008 - 2:18 pm
Yahoo.com - The Mets on Saturday acquired outfielder Angel Pagan from the Cubs for righthander Ryan Meyers and outfielder Corey Coles.

Pagan is returning to the Mets' organization for a second stint. The Cubs originally acquired Pagan from New York for cash on January 25, 2006.

In 71 games with Chicago last season, the 26-year-old Pagan batted .264 with four homers and 21 RBI.
-----------

Appears to be a younger Endy Chavez. Possibly means another deal is in the works since we now have Alou, Beltran, Church, Chavez, Pagan with also Anderson and Easly who can play the OF. Gomez should be in AAA if not traded.
jaydh
1/10/2008  1:46 AM
According to Joe Christensen of the Minnesota Star Tribune, the Mets have been told that they can land Johan Santana if they add OF Fernando Martinez to their current offer of OF Carlos Gomez and RHPs Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey and Phil Humber.

Christensen writes that while the Yankees and Red Sox both remain in the sweepstakes, “Ultimately, the Mets might be the best fit.”
jaydh
1/10/2008  6:43 PM
At his blog, AaronGleeman.com, well-respected writer and Twins fan Aaron Gleeman has the following to say about potentially trading Johan Santana…

“Monday in this space I discussed the strength of a Phil Hughes-led offer from the Yankees, but a Mets package that includes Martinez, Guerra, Gomez, and Mulvey would blow that out of the water.”

Gleeman also writes for The Hardball Times and Rotoworld.com, among other noteworthy websites.

-----------------------
According to a person with knowledge of the negotiations, Fred Wilpon is willing to meet Johan Santana’s contract demands, writes Joe Christensen at his blog for the Star-Tribune.

Christensen continues by writing…

“If Minaya swings the trade, as I wrote about today, Wilpon is confident he’ll get Santana signed. In the Mets’ camp, there is a belief that the price for Santana won’t be quite as high as advertised. Santana might ask for a six-year, $150 million extension, but there’s a belief teams could negotiate down from there.”

jaydh
1/10/2008  6:44 PM
If the Yanks and Sox are out of it, it seems like just a matter of time.
majorleads

1/10/2008  7:44 PM
I would not give Santana a 6 year contract. 5 is even pushing it for me because he's pitcher. However, seeing that we don't have a #1 pitcher on our major league roster and most likely don't have a potential ace in our farm system, then I'm willing to go 5 years plus a team option on a 6th year with a buyout like Glavine got.

I don't mind trading outfielders because they are the easiest to replace. So losing Gomez and possibly Martinez although real tough to give up, I would make the trade. Mulvey and Guerra I haven't seen pitch so I have no emotional loss invested in them and Humber really hasn't impressed.

Pelfrey I don't want to trade because I think once he's confident, he will eventually be a nice #2 pitcher. He has real good stuff so no reason why he can't be dominant at times.
jazz74
1/14/2008  11:40 AM
well, minaya is back so let the negotiates begin. this is a trade that the mets have to get done. like someone said, the mets do not have an "ace" pitcher and we have a decent outfield core now that we have church and kept alou. this would put us back to elite status in the national league. we made steps to bolster the bullpen with wise and a healthy sanchez back. so putting santana in the fold would be, imo, the last piece of the puzzle.
jaydh
1/14/2008  12:46 PM
“The Yankees have pulled their ‘Phil Hughes-centered trade offer’ for Johan Santana off the table,” reports ESPN Radio’s Andrew Marchand.

According to Marchand, citing a baseball official with knowledge of the talks, the Yankees will not restart trade talks unless Hank Steinbrenner has another change of heart.

-------------
Plus it is believed by many out there that Gomez has more value(higher ceiling) than Ellsbury. Boston won't include Lester+Ellsbury so it is looking very promising.
jazz74
1/28/2008  11:23 AM
well, things are supposedly picking up now with inside sources saying that a deal should be done in ten days. also they said that the mets emerged as the frontrunners with better deals on the table than the sox and yankees. i hope this gets done quickly but with our luck, this story was leaked to get other teams involved. it would be a shame if another teams steps up and pulls a better deal. by the way, is bedard still in play?
TMS
USA
1/28/2008  11:31 PM
Bedard's going to the Mariners
new york mets thread- off-season thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy