martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/7/2003  12:50 PM
'Siberian Shaq' might go No. 4 in NBA Draft

interesting....

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/6415542

CHICAGO -- There he was, 7-foot-5 of long, strong proof that the legend of Pavel Podkolzine, the Siberian Shaq, the Ivan Drago of basketball, was, indeed, very much a reality.

In front of about 100 representatives from all 29 NBA teams, Podkolzine went through a private workout here at the Gold Coast Multiplex health club Friday. He showed he could handle the ball. He showed he could shoot the ball. He showed he could get up and down the court with stunning speed and ease.

And mainly he showed he is every bit the 7-5, 295 pounds of hoops prodigy that had the league buzzing with intrigue all year.

Darko Milicic, the 7-1 Serbian 17-year-old, may be the toast of the international players in the draft -- almost certain to go No. 2 to Detroit. But Podkolzine, an 18-year-old from remote Siberia, Russia, is gaining fast. After an impressive showing Friday, he may wind up as high as No. 4. Or who knows, maybe higher?

"He is big," said Toronto Raptors general manager Glen Grunwald, whose team just happens to pick fourth. "He showed pretty good athleticism and he is skilled. For 18-years-old, he obviously has a bright future. Just seeing him here, he can move pretty well, his feet are pretty good. It looked like he had decent hands.

"His size is," Grunwald smiled before pausing. "Well, you just can't really teach that."

This was truly something else. Watching Podkolzine go through a work out run by CBA coach Bill Bayno left mouths agape across the league. As these events are prone to be about, there was no competition and nothing was attempted that could put the big Russian in a bad light. But it was a sight to see nonetheless.

Before the workout Podkolzine was little more than a rumor to most NBA execs. "He was a 7-foot-5, 300 pound figment of imagination," said one Western Conference scout.

By the time he showed light feet, skilled hands and a decent jump shot -- not to mention Shaqesque size -- he had turned almost the entire draft on its ear.

If last year's was about the arrival of mammoth Yao Ming of China, then Russia, the other old communist empire of Asia, is poised to answer this time around.

"He reminds me of Yao because he combines skills with that size," Bayno said. "I think he is heavier and stronger than Yao although Yao is more skilled. He has a great lower body. He could be in shape at 350 down the road. And he can really run. He is faster than he knows."

One thing that is appealing to scouts is that Podkolzine is a true, massive man. Although he says Tracy McGrady is his favorite player, there is no would-be shooting guard trying to break out of his shell. This is a guy who is willing to bang Shaquille O'Neal on the blocks. In two years he could be a serious offensive force.

"A lot of European big guys like to stay on the perimeter, you can't move them into the post," said Bayno. "He likes it inside even though he likes to shoot the ball."

Podkolzine hails from the city of Novosibirsk, the capital of Siberia and home to about 1.5 million people. The teenager said through his translator that it was, yes, very cold there. It was a tough place to grow up and poverty is extreme in the harsh region of a depressed empire.

He played the past two years for Varese, an A1 team in the Italian Professional League, which is where he gained a cult following from scouts. But for a variety of reasons he often saw only limited playing time. So no one was completely certain about him.

Friday he became the talk of a draft that had been searching for a fourth pick after the lock top three of LeBron James, Milicic and Carmelo Anthony. Podkolzine could now be that guy. In one half-hour workout he blew American big men Chris Kaman and Chris Bosh out of the water.

"That is why he just made (the league execs) jobs tougher," said Bayno. "If you look at potential, I don't know how you can pass on him."

Despite all the fuss and pressure of Friday afternoon's workout, Podkolzine was relaxed and smiling. He doesn't speak much English but he obviously has personality. It's sort of like the likeable Yao.

"I was very surprised to see this much people (at the work out)," Podkolzine said through a translator. "I thought less people. All the famous players, the GMs in the history of the NBA. I am only a young prospect but I will work very hard to be a player. I hope one team signs me for this project."

Can you imagine the marketing possibilities here? Somebody get Sylvester Stallone out of mothballs and film a Rocky IV remake as a Sprite commercial.

At this point anything is possible. He has only seen minimal coaching and only played three years of competitive ball. His upside is immense. Which is why the top half of the lottery was reshuffled after one very simple workout on a rainy Chicago afternoon.

Big is always big in the NBA. And Podkolzine almost redefines the word big.

"He works hard, he is coachable," said his U.S.-based agent Justin Zanik. "The kid is a blank slate. He could go as high as top 10, top five. The sky is the limit."
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
6/7/2003  1:33 PM
In the last two days Pavel's stock has gone up as much as anyone else all spring. I can't possibly see Toronto taking him as high as 4th but it is possible. If he continues to impress he might be our guy with the 9th pick. He should still be available i think.
Knixkik
USA
6/7/2003  1:54 PM
I found this posted on another board, apparently by Chad Ford.

CHICAGO -- The giant is out of the bag.

Two hundred NBA scouts and GMs crammed into the Gold Coast Multiplex on Friday to watch 7-foot-4, 300 pound Siberian center Pavel Podkolzine.'s first workout. The obscure 18-year-old big man whom no one had heard of six months ago went from the ultimate sleeper to a top-10 lock in slightly more than 40 minutes.

"Holy sh--!" one NBA GM told Insider. "He's amazing."

"I don't believe what I just saw," another GM told Insider. "That's the most potent combination of size, strength and agility I've seen since Shaq."

"I was a skeptic when I read all the reports about him on Insider," another GM began. "I love the international kids, but I thought things were getting out of hand with Pavel. I'm converted now. That's one amazing prospect right there."

"What does Yao Ming do that he doesn't?" another GM said. "Yao's feel for the game at this point is much better, but from a physical standpoint, he's more explosive."

Podkolzine
Podkolzine aced his first test in the NBA. He shot the ball extremely well, threw coach Billy Bayno around in the post like a rag doll and ran the floor like a guard.

Almost everyone in attendance quickly drew comparisons between Pavel and a young, agile Arvydas Sabonis.

"People in the NBA don't remember Sabonis when he was young," one international scout said. "They only remember the slow version. Pavel seems to have all of those same skills at the enormous size. If he develops a real feel for the game, you will see him dominate the NBA for 15 years."

For those of you still skeptical about the big fella's NBA potential consider this. Of the 20 or so team executives I talked to after the workout, none of them projected Podkolzine to last past No. 10.

" If I'm Carmelo Anthony, I'm sweating right now. Based on potential, he's right up there with LeBron and Darko. "
— An NBA GM, on Podkolzine
Some think he'll go much higher.

"He'll go anywhere from four to seven," one GM said.

"He won't get past six," said another.

One really went out on a limb. "If I'm Carmelo Anthony, I'm sweating right now. Based on potential, he's right up there with LeBron and Darko."

Indeed, after the workout, the Denver Nuggets were among the plethora of teams calling Pavel's agent, Justin Zanick, trying to schedule a private workout. Ironicaly, Carmelo met Podkolzine in the hotel lobby when Podkolzine checked in. Carmelo looked up (way up) and just said, "Damn!"

Zanick, a new NBA agent who used to work for super-agent Mark Bartelstien, also went from obscurity to one of the most powerful agents in this year's draft overnight. After the workout, he couldn't talk for two minutes without being interrupted by a team trying to arrange to see Podkolzine again.

Most won't get the chance. The buzz is so high on Podkolzine right now, Zanick is thinking of shutting down his workouts.

Podkolzine will take the NBA physical today, then begin a tour of lottery teams interested in him. Whether he actually works out during those visits remains to be seen.

He'll be in Memphis on Tuesday. Milwaukee the next day, New York on Thursday, Miami either Friday or next Saturday, and in L.A. to meet with the Clippers on June 15. The Nuggets, Raptors and Bulls also will get visits.

At 7-foot-4, Podkolzin has size and mobility, but he lacks game experience.
Of course, everyone is taking this workout with a grain of salt. It revealed nothing about court IQ, the ability to be physical with stronger, more athletic players, or game-time savvy. Podkolzine played a total of 120 minutes last year in Varese. That's three full games. In other words, everyone understands he's a project -- a guy a couple years away from having a big impact in the league. But with those type of physical skills, it appears teams are willing to take the risk.

With his buyout taken care of, and concerns about his ankle dispelled, Podkolzine has a great chance of being the second international player taken in the draft. With Darko Milicic, France's Mickael Pietrus (Bulls GM John Paxson just flew over to France to get a second look) and Poland's Maciej Lampe also generating a lot of buzz, it appears a record four international players will be selected in the lottery.

Podkolzine is surprised at all of the attention. "I can't believe how many people came to see me?" he said. "I thought, like, 10 people will be in this gym. I don't even play this year."

Pavel claims he got nervous when the stampede of NBA scouts flooded into the gym. It didn't show on the court. "I wanted to go and shake everyone's hand," he said. "But there is too many. Many, many people came. I just hope I was worth the time."

After the workout, Podkolzine's attention turnsed to food and shopping. He skipped his usual pizza for some more American-style fare. "I'm not Italian anymore," he says with a big grin. "Now I'm American."

After lunch, he was anxious to hit Niketown, hoping to find some Michael Jordan wear. It's impossible to find that stuff in Italy, and even the store manager isn't sure they make things big enough for a 7-foot-4 kid. After some serious searching, they finally find some gear big enough. Size? XXXXXL.

Everywhere he goes, people flock to him. He takes the time to stop and talk to each person. The smile didn't leave his face all day. Even off the court he seems shocked with all of the attention.

For all of his special qualities on the court, Pavel's best attributes may be off it. He's kind, warm and humble. He has no idea who he is or what he could become.

"He is a gift from God," adviser and former coach Gianni Chipparo said after the workout. "Pavel is a great kid. He works hard, and he just wants to get better. He has the chance to be very special on the court. Off the court? He's already arrived."
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/7/2003  2:11 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

I found this posted on another board, apparently by Chad Ford.

CHICAGO -- The giant is out of the bag.

thanks Knixkik!
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

6/7/2003  4:31 PM
Now with the influx of international prospects, where does that leave the draft order now? Nobody should even guess what will happen 4 thru 11.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/8/2003  10:23 AM
Posted by Knixkik:

In the last two days Pavel's stock has gone up as much as anyone else all spring. I can't possibly see Toronto taking him as high as 4th but it is possible. If he continues to impress he might be our guy with the 9th pick. He should still be available i think.

I say he doesn't make it past the Bucks.
Knixkik
USA
6/8/2003  7:22 PM
I say he doesn't make it past the Bucks.
According to this article you're probably right.

So, where will Podkolzine go?
Chad Ford
NBA Insider
Pavel Podkolzine isn't likely to bump LeBron James or Darko Milicic out
of the top two spots in the draft, but after that it's almost a toss-up.
Here's a breakdown of the teams considering drafting him:

3. Denver Nuggets: Carmelo who? GM Kiki Vandeweghe is intrigued. Would
Denver swap the No. 3 pick with Toronto (who really wants 'Melo) for the
No. 4 and a couple of future first-rounders?

4. Toronto Raptors: They need a big man in the worst way. Chris Kaman
worked out for them earlier in the week, and it went well. But Kaman
doesn't have the upside Podkolzine does. Can GM Glen Grunwald wait for
the 18-year-old to develop?

5. Miami Heat: Pat Riley looked like he was in love Friday. With 'Zo
moving on, they can use the help in the paint. But does Pat have the
patience to wait on Pavel. History says no.

6. Los Angeles Clippers: Their scout, Fabricio Besnati, helped discover
Pavel. He's been begging GM Elgin Baylor to draft him ever since. Now
that Elgin has seen what the buzz is all about, will he pull the
trigger? They have to replace Michael Olowokandi someday.

7. Chicago Bulls: If Jerry Krause was still around, he'd be burning up
the phone lines to get this kid. However, it looks like GM John Paxson
is looking for someone to help the Bulls right now.

8. Milwaukee Bucks: The Bucks have scouted him well and will take him if
he falls this far. However, no one in the organization believes he'll be
on the board for them now.

9. New York Knicks: Podkolzine is no Frederic Weis. Team president Scott
Layden said he was impressed, but like the Bucks, he's pretty sure Pavel
will be gone. Can he move up and get him?

13. Memphis Grizzlies: Team representatives looked forlorn Friday. They
were seriously considering him at No. 13, but now they know he'll be
taken long before that. Could they sneak up to No. 4 by offering the
Raptors Stromile Swift and the No. 13 pick?

Pavel Podkolzine, the Siberian Shaq

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy