[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

When is the deadline to use the exception?
Author Thread
XMAN007
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #60
9/30/2001  1:18 PM
I know it's Monday, but is that mon. morning, afternoon, midnight?

n any news on Gatling or anyone else?
Come strong or not at all!
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
9/30/2001  1:44 PM
The deadline is at noon on monday i believe.

Right now nothing is being said about the exception. Realgm.coom is reporting new york is interested in Omar Cook again, but so is new jersey and they are the predicted frontrunners for him. Assuming new york has a specific deal laid out for Denver, i would think the exception is being included and maybe new york could grab Kevin Willis in the deal. Different reports are saying new york is not interested in Mason or Gatling anymore, but you can't believe everything you here. Pat Riley is supposibly dying to get his hands on the exception and if Mason agrees to a deal to new york it could only take the exception and maybe a pick to get him. Gatling and Polynice seem to be back-up plans for right now, but new york has to be looking at them considering they have under 24 hours to use the exception.
Caseloads
Member: #41
9/30/2001  1:56 PM
Out of all of them, I'd do the Denver deal for Willis/Cook for the Exception & a 2nd Rounder only if Charlie Ward or Mark Jackson can be dealt for a draft pick or so... why haven't we dealt Ward to Chicago already?!
Posted by Knixkik:

The deadline is at noon on monday i believe.

Right now nothing is being said about the exception. Realgm.coom is reporting new york is interested in Omar Cook again, but so is new jersey and they are the predicted frontrunners for him. Assuming new york has a specific deal laid out for Denver, i would think the exception is being included and maybe new york could grab Kevin Willis in the deal. Different reports are saying new york is not interested in Mason or Gatling anymore, but you can't believe everything you here. Pat Riley is supposibly dying to get his hands on the exception and if Mason agrees to a deal to new york it could only take the exception and maybe a pick to get him. Gatling and Polynice seem to be back-up plans for right now, but new york has to be looking at them considering they have under 24 hours to use the exception.
Rhodesia
Member: #121
USA
9/30/2001  7:12 PM
Kevin Willis, you got to be kidding. Not even Gatling, I think the Knicks should bring back Mason.
Knixkik
USA
9/30/2001  9:30 PM
I would love Mason, but only because he's an all-star and definetly not because we need to improve at his position. We have enough power forwards who deserve playing time and only Mason would be able to get the time he wants. Gatling can play center as can Willis and that's why i'm willing to take either, but no matter what we need to do something before tomorrow.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
10/1/2001  10:02 AM
What Insder has to say about the exception:

Knicks not impressed with $2.8 selections

With it sounding like Larry Johnson is returning and with an already crowded rotation, it's questionable whether the Knicks will use their $2.8-million medical exception that expires today.

The Knicks have been inundated with calls from teams trying to unload a player for the exception, a league source told Insider. With the free-agent market thin, the Knicks have received dozens of trade offers from teams trying to dump a long-term deal. However, because the exception can't be coupled with other players in the trade, the Knicks are forced to take on someone who makes the same amount or less -- meaning there isn't a lot of talent out there.

Of the names being dangled in front of the Knicks, none seem too appealing. They include Raptors center Eric Montross, Nets forwards Jamie Feick and Aaron Williams, Bucks center Joel Przybilla, Hawks forward Chris Crawford and Wizards shooter Hubert Davis. In other words, there aren't many guys available who could crack the Knicks' nine-man rotation.

The free-agent front isn't too promising either. Anthony Mason has turned his nose up to the Knicks because of the amount of money being offered and also because of the Knicks' glut of undersized power forwards. The Knicks would have some interest in free-agent point guards Rod Strickland and Shammond Williams, but it's unlikely that they could move either Mark Jackson or Charlie Ward, making an addition pointless.

Perhaps the two most intriguing free agents left for the Knicks are center Olden Polynice and forward Chris Gatling. Both players have been in summer-long discussions with the Heat, but the Knicks could offer either player substantially more. Rookie Omar Cook is another name that has been mentioned, but again, the glut at point guard and the Nets' intense interest in Cook will forstall the Knicks from adding the local product.

However, president Scott Layden has said the Knicks won't add a player just because they have the exception, and sources say they are leaning toward just letting the exception expire.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/1/2001  4:44 PM
Posted by XMAN007:

I know it's Monday, but is that mon. morning, afternoon, midnight?

n any news on Gatling or anyone else?

The deadline is 11:59pm Monday.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
10/1/2001  5:13 PM
Not long to use it then.

Of the names mentioned on the ESPN Insider article, I actually like Montross.

I know it is true that most NBA players were dominant NCAA players. But I was only watching the UNC-Kansas '93 game a couple of days ago, and that guy was great. He had something like 25 points and 20 boards. He's tall, cheap, a former Tar Heel...why not take a chance on this guy?

I mean, he has to be better than Travis Knight, right?!?
We suck.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/1/2001  5:34 PM
Posted by MCfan23:

Not long to use it then.

I know it is true that most NBA players were dominant NCAA players. But I was only watching the UNC-Kansas '93 game a couple of days ago, and that guy was great. He had something like 25 points and 20 boards. He's tall, cheap, a former Tar Heel...why not take a chance on this guy?

Montross is luggage. The guy has not been able to get playing time on a half a dozen different teams.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knixkik
USA
10/1/2001  6:05 PM
My bad i thought the deadline was this afternoon, but i guess it's tonight. I heard many teams are interested, but new york doesn't want to take a player just because they can. I wonder if they've been offered any draft picks because that would be a worth-while pick-up.
Caseloads
Member: #41
10/1/2001  10:11 PM
WRONG
Posted by MCfan23:

Not long to use it then.

Andrew
USA
10/1/2001  10:40 PM
Case, don't hold back...tell us how you really feel.
Posted by Caseloads:

WRONG
PURE KNICKS LOVE
XMAN007
10/2/2001  11:06 AM
I personally will turn off the TV everytime Ostertag is playing if he were to become a knick. The reason is simple: if he's playing its garbage (just like he is) time and the game has already been decided. Are we the Jazz or what! I'd rather cut Ward then get Ostertag!

I'd welcome the addition of Foyle or even Dampier but I'm not overjoyed at getting Montross. What happened to the Ward for Foyle deal; it appeared to be all but complete?

The Lame-den Knicks move at turtle speed. Why did they wait so long b/4 LJ was given a physical? They could have possibly forced LJ n Luc to retire at the same time so they could get some real doe to make a play at a impact player. I'm not certain LJ is done though; we could use him down the stretch n in the playoffs (assuming we make them) if thatz the case.
Andrew
USA
10/2/2001  4:13 PM
I think people are knocking Ostertag too much. He would be a good backup center. This is a guy that has started for the Jazz, a perennial playoff team.
Posted by XMAN007:

I personally will turn off the TV everytime Ostertag is playing if he were to become a knick. The reason is simple: if he's playing its garbage (just like he is) time and the game has already been decided.

PURE KNICKS LOVE
XMAN007
10/2/2001  4:49 PM
Posted by Andrew:

I think people are knocking Ostertag too much. He would be a good backup center. This is a guy that has started for the Jazz, a perennial playoff team.

[quote]Posted by XMAN007:

I personally will turn off the TV everytime Ostertag is playing if he were to become a knick. The reason is simple: if he's playing its garbage (just like he is) time and the game has already been decided.

I'll be the first to admit I've knocked him b/4 n I'm doing it now. He doesn't excel in any part of the game (offensive, defense, rebounding, shooting etc.). Nor does he have a lot of potential. Keep in mind he's had the luxury of playing w/ Malone n Stockton thatz why the jazz made the playoffs. Not b/c of him. I like to compare him to Luc Longley. Although he has a couple rings do u consider him a good player. He barely played n neither will Ostertag. Atleast Luc was considered a good passer. Big Country just takes up space. Felton gave us some good mins. n is a more serviceable backup. Foyle is a good rebounder n has potential.

XMAN007
10/2/2001  4:52 PM
Posted by Andrew:

[quote]Posted by XMAN007:

I'll be the first to admit I've knocked him b/4 n I'm doing it now. He doesn't excel in any part of the game (offensive, defense, rebounding, shooting etc.). Nor does he have a lot of potential. Keep in mind he's had the luxury of playing w/ Malone n Stockton thatz why the jazz made the playoffs. Not b/c of him. I like to compare him to Luc Longley. Although he has a couple rings do u consider him a good player. The Aussie barely played n neither will Ostertag. Atleast Luc was considered a good passer. Big Country just takes up space.

There are better alternatives than Ostertag. Felton gave us some good mins. n is a more serviceable backup. Foyle is a good rebounder n has potential.

Fordy74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #51
USA
10/2/2001  5:35 PM
Ostertag is pathetic offensively. BUT he is a very adept rebounder and shot-blocker and gives you a physical presence that doesnt get shown in a box score.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
10/2/2001  6:26 PM
Posted by Fordy74:

Ostertag is pathetic offensively. BUT he is a very adept rebounder and shot-blocker and gives you a physical presence that doesnt get shown in a box score.

I think I'd prefer to have Dampier over Ostertag. Dampier is said to have looked good this off-season and I think a healthy Dampier brings more to the table than Ostertag. But that's just my opinion, I've never been a fan of Ostertag.
Andrew
USA
10/2/2001  6:33 PM
One of the problems in evaluating Ostertag is that we New Yorkers hardly ever get to see his play, and when we do it seems to always be against Shaq. Not a good matchup. The reports of Dampier looking good I believe came from their coach, and most likely were to boost his trade value.
Posted by VG:

I think I'd prefer to have Dampier over Ostertag. Dampier is said to have looked good this off-season and I think a healthy Dampier brings more to the table than Ostertag. But that's just my opinion, I've never been a fan of Ostertag.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
VG
Member: #68
Australia
10/2/2001  6:38 PM
Andrew, you're right, most of the time I see Ostertag it's against the Spurs or the Lakers i.e teams with a great frontcourt. How does Ostertag fare against the rest of the league though??

Go to this site for his numbers last season: http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/fba/request.dll?PLAYERCARD&nPlayerID=3030
When is the deadline to use the exception?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy