[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Giants Talk Thread
Author Thread
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/7/2008  11:02 AM
High ankle sprain (which is what I've seen ESPN call it), is a pretty serious injury that takes several weeks to recover. He's a crazy SOB, so I think he's gonna try to play, but it could very well keep him out. He's only had about 3 weeks to recoever which may not be enough.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
1/8/2008  3:59 AM
this week i think Ahmad Bradshaw can mean the difference & be that sparkplug to swing the game in our favor... the Cowpokes have yet to see this kid in action this year... they're used to defending our power running attack... mix in Bradshaw on a couple screens, counter draws & pitch plays & let's see if he can break a big play... it could swing the momentum in the game at a critical point.

i'm also hoping for the defense & also the special teams to come through & make a momentum shifting play for us this game... that new KO returner kid Domenik Hixon also looks like he's gonna break off a big run every time he touches the ball... i like that kid.

i would really love to see a gimmick play worked in once this game, just to show DAL something new & keep them off balance... they are an aggressive defense that likes to dump routes & run blitz, so i think something like a flee flicker or even halfback option pass might work well against them... Eli also needs to work play action all day... i like him when he does that too cuz he thinks less & just reacts... it's when he stands in the pocket & has to check off receivers that he sometimes runs into problems... he needs to throw deep to Plex or Amani & exploit Roy Will's poor pass coverage.

overall i think we have a good shot at beating them this week as long as they don't make any critical mistakes & manage the game well... they will need a momentum changing play to do it though cuz DAL will score on us w/o a doubt... Romo is just that good & we have never had an answer for TO.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
VDesai
USA
1/8/2008  9:16 AM
Tom Coughlin has never run a gimmick play in his 4 yr tenure here, so I don't know why he'd decide to start now. He's gonna beat you straight up and in the trenches- and that's going to be how they'll want to win this game. One key this week is that Andre Gurode, Cowboys pro bowl center, might be out with an injury. That'll give us the added ability to bring som pressure inside, so watch out for Justin Tuck to have a big game.

T.O. is still saying he is going to play but that just doesn't seem like a good idea with his injury. Regardless of what happens he will be extremely limited. Not to say he can't perform- he had a huge game in the super bowl on a bad leg...but he really may not have his legs under him on Sunday and that would be huge. The Eagles beat the Boys a few weeks ago by letting Witten beat them and taking away T.O. The monkey wrench here could be Terry Glenn, who is talking about playing his first game of the season.

I think the Giants can score on Dallas. They have no had problems moving the ball- they scored 35 in game 1 and 21 in game 2 (with some drive killing turnovers and penalties). Instead of Shockey beating Williams I think they'll send Kevin Boss out deep- he has really nice speed for a big guy...Watching him go out and catch the ball he reminds me of Todd Heap. Very natural reciever. In addition they will take a shot any time Plax is matched up one on one.

There's one more Cowboy injury and that's Tony Romo's thumb. He has nto played well over the last quarter of the season. So there are a few limiting factors for the Boys in this game that weren't there early in the year. This could be a bit of an equalizer this week. It will take an A grade effort for the Giants, but this is very doable. The way this is shaping out this is probably the best time the Giants could've asked for to play the Boys.
TMS
USA
1/8/2008  9:32 AM
we've tried to beat them straight up twice this season & failed on both occasions... the fact that he's not known for running gimmick plays even adds more reason to try it... it would catch them completely off guard... i could care less about staying true to his ideals here... we need to win this ballgame, bottomline... if a gimmick play will help us do that then he should use it.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
VDesai
USA
1/8/2008  10:45 AM
Posted by TMS:

we've tried to beat them straight up twice this season & failed on both occasions... the fact that he's not known for running gimmick plays even adds more reason to try it... it would catch them completely off guard... i could care less about staying true to his ideals here... we need to win this ballgame, bottomline... if a gimmick play will help us do that then he should use it.

The fact that he doesn't run gimmick plays means he's not likely to run them, especially now.
VDesai
USA
1/8/2008  10:49 AM
One thing you will absolutely see, however, is a deep shot early in the game. I'd be shocked if they didn't try get Burress one on one early and hit him deep down the field...
TMS
USA
1/8/2008  11:32 AM
yeah, i know it's not likely to happen... just saying i'd really like to see him go away from the predictable & do something unconventional... i'll be happy if they at least stretch the defense by taking shots downfield deep... not sure how effective Plex is gonna be w/his bad ankle & all, but definitely wanna see Amani & Smith run some deep post patterns & Eli to take some shots at a big play.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/8/2008  1:00 PM
Cosmic - You a Giants fan too? Do you have game files for the Jints/Bucs last weekend to share?
VDesai
USA
1/8/2008  1:34 PM
Some bad news for the Giants- Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who has done a sensational job this year taking over a moribund defense that had very little talent in the back 7, is interviewing for the Falcons Head Coaching job on Friday. I've loved the job this guy has done generating pressure and keeping us in ballgames. We came a very long way from last year with essentially the same personnell. I don't know that he'll get the Falcons job, but a few things working in their favor- the advisor in the search is former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi, and the 2 candidates for the GM job are Tom Heckert, Eagles GM where Spags worked for many years, and Chris Mara, who is personnell guy for the Giants. So there should be a lot of support for him.

I was hoping this guy might eventually be a successor to Coughlin.
TMS
USA
1/8/2008  2:06 PM
that really sucks... i want Spags to stick around... sucks that every time a great coach comes along he gets snatched up by another franchise.
VDesai
USA
1/8/2008  4:58 PM
An update to the Spags news- Looks like the Giants have asked the Falcons to move the interview from this week so as not to provide a distraction. Selfishly, hopefully we go to the super bowl and they never interview him:

What about Bob? Glauber's NFL Blog
Newsday football columnist Bob Glauber goes the extra yard in covering the NFL
Printer-friendly posts

January 8, 2008
More on Spags interview with Falcons
As a courtesy to the Giants, the Falcons have agreed to wait until the end of the Giants' playoff run before interviewing defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo for the vacant head coaching position.

The Falcons had requested to speak to Spagnuolo on Friday, but indications are the GIants - and possibly Spagnuolo himself - preferred to wait until the playoffs are over before the interview takes place.

By league rule, assistants with teams that win the wild card round of the playoffs can speak to teams about head coaching positions during the week leading up to the divisional round.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/9/2008  1:09 PM
UGH... I don't want to lose Spags this soon... I was actually starting to think the Giants have an in-house replacement for Coughlin if/when he decides to step down or in case next year bombs for whatever reason.
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
TMS
USA
1/9/2008  2:37 PM
Posted by SupremeCommander:

UGH... I don't want to lose Spags this soon... I was actually starting to think the Giants have an in-house replacement for Coughlin if/when he decides to step down or in case next year bombs for whatever reason.

we can always go after Bill Cowher if something happens w/Coughlin.
VDesai
USA
1/9/2008  2:39 PM
Coughlin will likely be extended 3 yrs.

BTW, looks like TO will play as of now. Who knows if he's close to 100% though.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-5-29/T-O--update.html
TMS
USA
1/10/2008  2:01 PM
Eli's got a sense of humor afterall

[URL]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/sports/football/10giants.html[/URL]
Reporter: What is it about the road that you like?

Manning: We win on the road.

Reporter: What about you personally?

Manning: I like that we win on the road.

[Edited by - TMS on 01-10-2008 11:02 AM]
VDesai
USA
1/11/2008  5:11 PM
Looks like Madison and Dockery will be out and both Glenn and TO will play. That could hurt...
TMS
USA
1/11/2008  5:21 PM
i think Webster has the speed & size to cover TO downfield... let's hope he & Ross make some big plays in the secondary this weekend.
bitty41
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #1215

1/13/2008  7:48 PM
Wait is no one excited that the Giants beat the Cowboys in Dallas?

[Edited by - bitty41 on 01-13-2008 8:19 PM]
VDesai
USA
1/13/2008  8:00 PM
Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!! UNREAL!!!!!!!!!
VDesai
USA
1/13/2008  8:01 PM
NY Giants = everything the Knicks are not. All heart, all guts. Decimated by injuries today but an unbelievable upset on the road in the playoffs.
Giants Talk Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy