[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Giants Talk Thread
Author Thread
JohnWallace44
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #910
USA
9/3/2007  3:01 PM
What are people thinking about the Jints this year?
Will the loss of Tiki kill them or will they have more of a balanced attack?

Why are there programs dedicated to the Jets' offseason happenings, but nothing on the Giants? I blame YES and MSG. Don't the Giants have a bigger fan base?
Alan Hahn: Nate Robinson has been on a ridonkulous scoring tear lately (remember when he couldn't hit Jerome James with a Big Mac in early January?)
AUTOADVERT
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
9/3/2007  3:22 PM
The Giants looked pretty good in pre-season. There achilles heal, assuming they don't have bad injury problems, could be corner. Fortunately they've got a very good pass rush.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/3/2007  7:06 PM
I'm sick of giant coverage also. Or I should say lack there of.

There are definately more giants fans. The jets are like the mets, just that other team no matter who is the better team at the time.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
9/4/2007  9:41 AM
I missed this thread and started mucking up the UK get together thread with Giants talk. Giants first team looked very good in the last 3 games. They ran the ball well throughout the preseason. I think the O-line is gonna be just fine and Diehl is really adjusting to left tackle well.

Recievers are solid- with Toomer back and Steve Smith, the Giants have to reliable guys for Eli to go with the playmakers Burress and Shockey. I think we'll see more of the Eli from the first half of last year if Toomer and Smith stay healthy.

Defense has some potential. Front 4 provided a fierce pass rush in preseason. Tuck was looking like an animal at the DE spot along with Osi. Now with Strahan back, they have 3 very good passrushing DE's and Kiwanuka providing passrush from the OLB spot. Robbins and Cofield looked good inside too.

Linebackers as a group are sold, but not spectacular. Pierce is healthy and should be more of a playmaker this year. Already spoke about Kiwi- but I think all he needs is time to adjust and he'll be a monster. The wildcard is Kawika Mitchell...I actually think Chase Blackburn will emerge over the course of the year and make a run at his spot.

DBacks are the concern. Butler is an upgrade over Demps at safety. Question is whether Madison can stay healthy. While he and McQuarters aren't great, if they both stay healthy they are sufficient at corner. If not Corey Webster has to put up or shut up now. I don't think Aaron Ross is ready to contribute.

I think the kicker is gonna be a major headache this year.

Right now I'm thinking they can win 9- maybe more if the secondary holds up.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/4/2007  9:51 AM
[threadjack]

[/threadjack]
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
9/4/2007  11:26 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

[threadjack]

[/threadjack]

I hate the Redskins with a passion. Almost as much as I hate Isiah.

Anyone who has lived in the DC area and isn't a Redskin fan, knows exactly what I'm talking about.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/4/2007  11:33 AM
Didn't see this thread, sorry. From the stickied thread about the bball game:
Posted by VDesai:

A) a ploy to get more money that didn't work out, and B) a ploy to get out of training camp and preseason.
Agreed. Stephen A keeps saying Strahan was serious about retiring but I didn't think that for a second. I was real pissed he would do that especially since he is the defensive leader and all. Can't wait for Sunday. Fuck Dallas.

P.S: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20584704/
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
9/4/2007  11:36 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

Didn't see this thread, sorry. From the stickied thread about the bball game:
Posted by VDesai:

A) a ploy to get more money that didn't work out, and B) a ploy to get out of training camp and preseason.
Agreed. Stephen A keeps saying Strahan was serious about retiring but I didn't think that for a second. I was real pissed he would do that especially since he is the defensive leader and all. Can't wait for Sunday. Fuck Dallas.

P.S: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20584704/

That was all blatantly obvious from the beginning. He got his ass handed to him by his ex wife in their divorce proceedings and he was looking for another payday. Good for the Giants for refusing to pay him a penny more, especially with how he's performed lately.

Strahan has always been about Strahan. He's a jackass.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
9/4/2007  12:00 PM
He was never serious. The retirement talk only became "serious" once it was obvious that Giants weren't going to budge an inch and were more willing to wine and dine a guy like Simeon Rice. It became serious so he could save face.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/4/2007  3:09 PM
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
9/4/2007  4:12 PM
I love the Giants but man I can't stand Strahan. Shockey, Plaxico I think these guys are more talk than play. Atleast Tiki the A-hole is gone. These MOFOS would rather talk than play football to a higher level. I remember the Giants of the past they were no nonsense get the job done players who whooped on the opposition and basically imposed their will on to the other team. I find that the player I just mentioned are locker room cancers and bring the team down when they speak.
jazz74
Member: #371
9/5/2007  11:41 AM
again i seem like a pessimist but i can't see the giants winning more than last year. as a matter of fact i think they might win less with a 7-9 record. yeah, tiki may be a diva but he was 40% of our offense the past three years. i am not sold on manning yet and it will be a difficult year because he will be asked to be the main man of this offense which is not a pleasant thought. our secondary is still suspect as well as unhealthy though i do like the potential of ross. brandon jacobs showed signs last year but he is not tiki and will struggle as well as droughns. in our division alone, we are not better than any team except maybe the redskins but they can suprise us. however, there is a silver lining. it is almost assured that it will be coughlin's last year if they screwed up. i am not down on coughlin like others but i know when it is time to go and for him it is time to go. we will have a high draft pick to help build around manning. i think manning will blossom under another coach with a new staff. so this year is really a transistion period or rebuilding year but the next two years are key especially with dallas and philly aging. we need to replace strahan though. maybe tuck is our answer. it will be an interesting year to say the least.
jazz74
9/5/2007  11:45 AM
Posted by Vmart:

I remember the Giants of the past they were no nonsense get the job done players who whooped on the opposition and basically imposed their will on to the other team.

i remembered when the knicks were like that also.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
9/5/2007  3:44 PM
Posted by jazz74:

again i seem like a pessimist but i can't see the giants winning more than last year. as a matter of fact i think they might win less with a 7-9 record. yeah, tiki may be a diva but he was 40% of our offense the past three years. i am not sold on manning yet and it will be a difficult year because he will be asked to be the main man of this offense which is not a pleasant thought. our secondary is still suspect as well as unhealthy though i do like the potential of ross. brandon jacobs showed signs last year but he is not tiki and will struggle as well as droughns. in our division alone, we are not better than any team except maybe the redskins but they can suprise us. however, there is a silver lining. it is almost assured that it will be coughlin's last year if they screwed up. i am not down on coughlin like others but i know when it is time to go and for him it is time to go. we will have a high draft pick to help build around manning. i think manning will blossom under another coach with a new staff. so this year is really a transistion period or rebuilding year but the next two years are key especially with dallas and philly aging. we need to replace strahan though. maybe tuck is our answer. it will be an interesting year to say the least.

I think the Giants will win double digits this year. Tiki was a great runner but I think Brandon Jacobs will do well this year. Barring injuries I see him going for 1300 yards this year. It won't be much of a drop off in the running dept. I think the WR core has gotten better with Mix, Moss and Toomer being healthy. The secondary is suspect but most secondaries in the NFL are suspect.

I'm a believer in the scheme theory if the scheme is right on the defensive side then any team can win. I think the Patriots are the most overrated talent wise team but Belichick knows his scheme that he want to run and implements it to the team. A good scheme for defense decides if a team goes far or not. I hope the new defensive coordinator does well with the schemeing dept.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/5/2007  4:15 PM
10 wins is very optimistic considering we have a G starting at LT & lost our best player in the offseason... plus Strahan is coming in w/o any training camp & another year older...

i love the G-men but i'd be completely shocked if they managed any more than 8 wins this season.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
9/5/2007  4:42 PM
I'm optimistic about the Jints this year.

However, I must say -- that I, like many Giants fans, was fooled by Tiki and Strahan. I thought those two were the leaders of the team. But I was wrong. Both guys are turning out to be me-first primadonnas. And it's no surprise that there has been a lot of carry-over from the Fassel era -- painfully frustrating inconsistency and lack of discipline. I realize now that it's all you can expect from a team whose leaders routinely undermine the coach.

The reason I'm optimistic is that I think Eli is transitioning into a leadership role on the team. And I think Pierce is the true leader on defense now. Both those guys seem to be on board. I'm no Coughlin-ite. And I'm not even sure he'll be here next year. But I know that if the team stands any chance of succeeding -- the leaders have to step up and go to war for their coach. Any other way, and we'll have half-hearted efforts that lead us through an up-and-down season.

Best case: 12-4
Worst case: 7-9
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
9/5/2007  4:49 PM
By the way, one big thing I see happening for the Giants is a major improvement in Eli's numbers.

I think that, for as good as Tiki was, he was a detriment to Eli's game. Tiki was a guy that would lose 2 or 3 yards on a few runs and then bang a 20 or 30 yard run eventually. As a result, Eli faced a lot of third and long situations.

Jacobs is a beast. He's not gonna lose many yards. So instead of facing 3rd and 13 every time -- Eli is gonna be dealing with shorter third down situation.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
jazz74
9/10/2007  6:42 AM
man, what a disappointment. the good thing is eli's progress and how he stepped up. he did more than enough to keep us in the game especailly against a cowboy's defense that is significantly better than ours and with jacobs out of commission. plax looked good too and i guess their practice sessions over the spring definately helped. the bad thing is our defense. that is probably the worse giant defense i have ever seen since i watched the giants way back in the 80's. our secondary was swiss cheese and with osi out and strahan playing sporadically we had NO pressure up front. that is our achilles heel, it won't get easier next week when i think we play the eagles. after that ridiculous loss last week they are licking their chops to play us next week. but the good news is that this is one step closer to coughlin getting fired and reece being forced to do something to improve this team.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/10/2007  7:29 AM
Lord have mercy.

I left the game with the giants only down 1 and get home with the score looking like a wnba game with the g-men down 10.

Ah man. The defense, the injuries!

Eli looked great. Cool calm and in control. Eli to plaxico looks smooth. Toomer looks like he might be in better shape than before he went down with the acl surgery last year.

Ah, the defense. Shameful. Last year the giants were terrible and they just got stronger as time went on. I hope that's the case.

I just hope the injured guys can make it back in time for next week.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/10/2007  7:59 AM
all those injures, damn!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Giants Talk Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy