[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Point guard crisis
Author Thread
XMAN007
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #60
9/29/2001  7:17 PM
Our point guard situation is reminding me of the NYJ defensive line w/o the injuries. Jackson the starter, no Eisley is, no Ward is. Or wasn't Ward supposed to be traded for Foyle? What about this kid Ed Cota? I heard he's from NC n played in the CBA last year. Has anyone seem him play?

Although I'm not enamored by any of the pgs. here is my pg. rotation. I say we start Jackson n Eisley backs him up. Cota can be the next Rick Brunson. We should do our best to deal charlie. It will be difficult b/c of his bum knee n big contract. Not to mention the light speed that Lame-den moves at.

The idea of a trade crossed my mind when we signed Cota n brought in Burrell for a try out. Even though Lame-den says there has been interest I don't have confidence that he will pull the trigger. We'll be fortunate to land Gatling.

The worst move we made was letting Grunfeld go. What idiots! He brought us Spree n Camby. Both players were young and have been our foundation ever since. If i'm not mistaken he could have been around when we signed Houston. If anyone should have been canned it should have been CHECKETTS. This guy didn't know squat about hockey yet he was involved w/ the NYR n he obviously didn't know much about basketball either.
Come strong or not at all!
AUTOADVERT
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
9/30/2001  8:10 AM
Posted by XMAN007:

Our point guard situation is reminding me of the NYJ defensive line w/o the injuries. Jackson the starter, no Eisley is, no Ward is. Or wasn't Ward supposed to be traded for Foyle? What about this kid Ed Cota? I heard he's from NC n played in the CBA last year. Has anyone seem him play?

Although I'm not enamored by any of the pgs. here is my pg. rotation. I say we start Jackson n Eisley backs him up. Cota can be the next Rick Brunson. We should do our best to deal charlie. It will be difficult b/c of his bum knee n big contract. Not to mention the light speed that Lame-den moves at.

I am more for trading Jackson and starting Eisley. I was much more impressed last season, with the backup pg Charlie, than the starting pg Charlie. CW had some particularly good games off the bench late in the season (@ Lakers and vs. Washington come to mind). So maybe he can provide that play, consistently, as the backup this season. Finding someone dumb enough to take hs huge contract and not so trusty knees is very unlikely. Jackson is a lot more tradeable, and he really disspointed me last season, so I wouldn't be too upset to see the back of him.
Posted by XMAN007:
The worst move we made was letting Grunfeld go. What idiots! He brought us Spree n Camby. Both players were young and have been our foundation ever since. If i'm not mistaken he could have been around when we signed Houston. If anyone should have been canned it should have been CHECKETTS. This guy didn't know squat about hockey yet he was involved w/ the NYR n he obviously didn't know much about basketball either.

Couldn't agree more! Why fire Grunfeld? It was just the start of his vision! Sprewell, Camby and Houston leading the charge for the Knicks. Now, I think we can see what a poor move that was.
We suck.
XMAN007
9/30/2001  10:57 AM
As much as I hate to admit your probably right about CW n Jackson. I would prefer to have MJ around b/c he's a better teacher for Eisley n possibly Cota. Although he has short comings on d I think he will help us offensively more n Eisley will help defensively. He probably has less yrs. on his contract as well.

Ernie has done fine since he left while we have faltered.

What r the odds Cota makes the team? What r his strengths n weaknesses?
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
9/30/2001  10:59 AM
Seeing how well he's doing in Milwaukee doesn't help any as well. We indeed miss Grunfeld but what's done is done so..

Will be interesting to see if JVG gets alot of critism this season and if he'll keep the job.

Frazier for coach?

Parrish for coach?
XMAN007
9/30/2001  11:04 AM
I wish Ernie well. He's a class act.

I've never thought JVG was the problem. He's always had the players playin hard for him n made the most of his talent. Although he's stubborn about the 8 man rotation I like that he makes new comers work for a spot (Spree, Camby, Othella etc).

Bottom line is unless you have the real MJ your not winning the big one w/o a dominating center.
MCfan23
USA
9/30/2001  11:20 AM
Posted by XMAN007:

What r the odds Cota makes the team? What r his strengths n weaknesses?

I don't know...haven't seem him play before...never even heard of him before. Surely someone knows something???
We suck.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
9/30/2001  12:30 PM
He played for North Carolina a few years ago and did a good job. I think he was predicted to be drafted, but never was. He's spent some time in the CBA i believe and had a few tryouts with some teams. I also think he played for the Clippers for a year or so and got some time. He reminds me of Shammond Williams(another UNC alumni), but obviously not as good. Odds of making the roster: SLim to none, but he could make the Injured Reserve list. It's always handy to have a guy like him around.
XMAN007
9/30/2001  1:22 PM
Thanx Knixkik

BTW I know this is not basketball related but I'm looking for a site similar to this one for the Rangers. the nj.com/forums don't cut it. The only 1 i'm familiar is outsidethegarden.com

any sites would be much appreciated
MCfan23
USA
9/30/2001  1:38 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

He played for North Carolina a few years ago and did a good job. I think he was predicted to be drafted, but never was. He's spent some time in the CBA i believe and had a few tryouts with some teams. I also think he played for the Clippers for a year or so and got some time. He reminds me of Shammond Williams(another UNC alumni), but obviously not as good. Odds of making the roster: SLim to none, but he could make the Injured Reserve list. It's always handy to have a guy like him around.

Muchas gracias!
We suck.
Fordy74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #51
USA
10/1/2001  10:18 AM
Ed Cota is in the Jason Kidd mold~ pass-first PG who is good at running a team. Problem is a PG needs to be able to make a Jump shot. Cota does not have range beyond the top of the key and that is stretching it. basically he is a better version of Rick Brunson. Brunson couldnt shoot either but Cota is better at running a team than Brunson is and Brunson was pretty good at running on offense. Shammond Williams is a great shooter and explosive scorer and not much of a PG. Im surprised Cota reminds you of him Knixkick. The only similarities I see is that they both plyed for UNC.
MCfan23
USA
10/1/2001  5:04 PM
Well Cota sounds good to me. A pass-first pg is what we need, with the guys we have on the team. I am not particularly concerned about how well he can shoot, but how well he can pass.

Are you guys as dissapointed as I am with Mark Jackson? He was known as slow and a somewhat defensive liability, but also as a 10 apg man. Since coming to the Big Apple he has been the same, but with less assists. What's goin' on?

I'll take lesser D and 10 assists any day, but no D and only 5 assists? No thankyou.
We suck.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
10/2/2001  6:47 AM
Posted by MCfan23:

Well Cota sounds good to me. A pass-first pg is what we need, with the guys we have on the team. I am not particularly concerned about how well he can shoot, but how well he can pass.

Are you guys as dissapointed as I am with Mark Jackson? He was known as slow and a somewhat defensive liability, but also as a 10 apg man. Since coming to the Big Apple he has been the same, but with less assists. What's goin' on?

I'll take lesser D and 10 assists any day, but no D and only 5 assists? No thankyou.

One big reason Jax's assists are down is that Knicks keep on doing their isolation plays. The Knicks have not taken advantage of Jax's passing as they keep dumping the ball to the wing and let Spree and Hou go one-on-one. I think he's just too slow to play good D in the NBA. Eisley should help in that department.
XMAN007
10/2/2001  11:10 AM
I thought Shammond Williams would be an ideal fit for us b/c he can break down D's, hit the outside jumper (which would take pressure off the rest of the guys), he's young, n plays n uptempo game. No sense in crying over spilt milk though.
Point guard crisis

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy