[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yankees Talk thread
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/22/2007  2:18 PM
Posted by Marv:

i don't follow them that closely. someone please explain what's been the deal with mussina this season?

somehow, and i'm not sure how, he went in for some corrective eye surgery this winter and left the doctor's office looking like a douchebag.

mussina's old and he's really lost alot of his pitching ability. curveball is not breaking and fastball hovers around 89-91 mph. he will never be >.500 pitcher the rest of his career. probably won't reach 300 wins either.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/22/2007  3:10 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I hope Mussina is not with the team next season. I don't want to see him starting 20% of the games.

Betemit should be our every day first baseman now. I like Phillips but Betemit is a better player.

Betemit is not a good hitter from the right side, & Andy is a better fielder at 1B... a platoon situation is perfect for those 2 guys... both can play multiple IF positions too, so that's a plus.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
8/22/2007  3:19 PM
Posted by Marv:

i don't follow them that closely. someone please explain what's been the deal with mussina this season?

reports had him going to the doctor's office like dj said... however, it's a little known fact that he went in for testicular amputation surgery... in other words, he's got no balls (not that he ever had them to begin with).

for a guy who's been paid like 1 of the top 1 or 2 pitchers in all of baseball for much of the time he's been here, you sure wouldn't know it from what he's given this team... sure he was good for 4 of the 7 seasons, but for that amount of money & considering he joined up with a reigning World Champion before the '01 season, you'd figure he'd have helped this team win at least 1 championship... he came damn close in '01 & '03, but that's the story of Moose's life as a pitcher it seems... always the "ALMOST but no cigar" guy... almost a 20 game winner, almost a Cy Young winner, almost a perfect game no hitter, almost a World Champion... now he's just a washed up has been that can't beat good teams it seems... i really hope i'm wrong about him, but it doesn't look like he's going to get any better anytime soon... this is what he is now, & we're stuck w/him for another season... great signing by Cash.

After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
8/23/2007  11:01 AM
pettite is automatic after a loss.
as john sterling would say "great job-a by joba"
but mo gives up another run?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/23/2007  1:15 PM
Pettitte is pitching like the team's ace right now. He's had a very good season and could easily be closer to 14-6. Wang doesn't look right.
djsunyc
8/23/2007  1:22 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Wang doesn't look right.

you know there are doctors you can talk to about that...
TMS
USA
8/23/2007  3:38 PM
i'm curious to see how Joba will bounce back after a bad outing, but hopefully that won't happen til next season.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/23/2007  4:20 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Wang doesn't look right.

I have. They always tell me they've never seen one that long and wide!
djsunyc
8/23/2007  6:16 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Wang doesn't look right.

I have. They always tell me they've never seen one that long and wide!

i think bip just fainted...
earthmansurfer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #858
Germany
8/23/2007  6:24 PM
I know it's early, but when was the last Yankee to have such a dramatic and immediate affect as Chamberlin? I can't really
think of someone in the last 20 years. Even our stars took a few years to develop. When have we seen a Yankee (with all the
legit tools, I don't mean a Shane Spencer type run) have this kind of affect right off the bat? Didn't Mo take a few years
to become what he was.

This guy has gone from College to Pros in one year, and dominated.
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
djsunyc
8/23/2007  6:26 PM
Posted by earthmansurfer:

I know it's early, but when was the last Yankee to have such a dramatic and immediate affect as Chamberlin? I can't really
think of someone in the last 20 years. Even our stars took a few years to develop. When have we seen a Yankee (with all the
legit tools, I don't mean a Shane Spencer type run) have this kind of affect right off the bat? Didn't Mo take a few years
to become what he was.

closest i could remember was kevin maas who did it for half a season but that yankee team stunk.

mo was great when he moved to the pen in 95 (remember he came up as a starter) but in 96, he was unhittable for 2 innings before wetteland.

joba is just fun to watch right now.
djsunyc
8/23/2007  6:27 PM
btw, i'm convinced that 60% of the intrigue and the response to him has to do with his first name being joba - it's a GREAT name to chant.
TMS
USA
8/23/2007  10:49 PM
Posted by earthmansurfer:

to become what he was.

Mo was every bit as dominant in '96 as Joba is now... moreso in fact, because he pitched 2 innings on a regular basis, whereas the Yankees have Joba on a strict innings restriction regimen right now... until we see Joba pitch on a more regular basis, we need to temper our enthusiasm over this kid... he definitely is fun to watch & that slider of his is devastating no doubt, but when he's converted to a starter next season he's not going to be throwing 98-100 every inning the way he is now, so he'll have to mix in his curve & change on top of that slider to keep ML hitters honest... right now, not many teams have seen this kid, & that may have at least something to do w/the amount of immediate success he's enjoying now... he definitely has that charisma & flare that every fan loves to see in their young players though... i have no doubt he's gonna be a major star for this franchise for years to come.

so much for that "weak & barren" farm system of ours, eh boys? besides Joba, kids like Cano, Wang, Melky, Hughes, Shelley & soon to be added to the mix Kennedy, Horne, Tabata, Betances, Gardner will prove all those morons wrong who've downgraded our minor league talent for the longest.
TMS
USA
8/23/2007  11:55 PM
1 of my forum members who follows the AAA affiliate informs me that Bruney may have been called up again... he should have never been demoted in the first place... good thing the Brower experiment didn't last too long... he was absolutely putrid.

too bad Ian Kennedy's not being called up along w/Bruney... he should have replaced Moose in the rotation
djsunyc
8/24/2007  1:50 PM
september call-ups (when the roster expands) are not playoff eligible.

so they have to bring up bruney now if he is to be playoff eligible. i wonder if the yanks will bring up anybody else just in case.
TMS
USA
8/24/2007  5:11 PM
Villone to the DL to make room for Bruney... i guess that means Villone's days as a Yankee are pretty much over... i've always thought he did a decent job when called upon (last outing notwithstanding)... Joe Torre never seemed to warm up to the guy for some reason.
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
8/25/2007  11:23 AM
can the yankees get rid of sean f-ing henn, this guy is absolutely terrible!
#Knickstaps
djsunyc
8/25/2007  11:26 AM
i only made it to the 8th...that's 3 out of 4 losses for the yanks while boston and seattle are surging. tough stretch of the schedule and it's showing.

they have to hang around b/c they have 6 with the redsox (even tho the division title seems further and further away) but 5 games vs. seattle which are now huge.

it's been a great season to be a yankee fan but what if after all this, they miss the playoffs?
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
8/25/2007  11:40 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

i only made it to the 8th...that's 3 out of 4 losses for the yanks while boston and seattle are surging. tough stretch of the schedule and it's showing.

they have to hang around b/c they have 6 with the redsox (even tho the division title seems further and further away) but 5 games vs. seattle which are now huge.

it's been a great season to be a yankee fan but what if after all this, they miss the playoffs?

then thank god you'll have the performance of the knicks to make up for it.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/25/2007  11:46 AM
It would suck if they didn't make the playoffs. That's a whole different topic of discusion.

Right now the yanks have to clamp down and bring the pain and hope they have something left for the playoff run.

Another Boston sweep right now would be a god send.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Yankees Talk thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy