[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yankees Talk thread
Author Thread
jrodmc
Posts: 32928
Alba Posts: 50
Joined: 11/24/2004
Member: #805
USA
11/23/2018  2:51 PM
What is the value or utility of rooting for one team over another?
AUTOADVERT
Knickoftime
Posts: 23735
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2011
Member: #3370

11/23/2018  5:12 PM
jrodmc wrote:What is the value or utility of rooting for one team over another?

None.

Other than a completely personal one.

Which is the whole point.

Now your turn to answer:

What is the value or utility of rooting for one team over another?

What is the value or utility of your perceived higher level of expectation other than your image of yourself?

jrodmc
Posts: 32928
Alba Posts: 50
Joined: 11/24/2004
Member: #805
USA
11/23/2018  6:36 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
jrodmc wrote:What is the value or utility of rooting for one team over another?

None.

Other than a completely personal one.

Which is the whole point.

Now your turn to answer:

What is the value or utility of rooting for one team over another?

What is the value or utility of your perceived higher level of expectation other than your image of yourself?

Your first answer was my point. Rooting/fandom is a personal preference.
Not sure why you continually need to assign perceptions and values to someone else's personal preferences.

Are you compensating?

Knickoftime
Posts: 23735
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2011
Member: #3370

11/24/2018  12:18 PM
jrodmc wrote:Your first answer was my point. Rooting/fandom is a personal preference.
Not sure why you continually need to assign perceptions and values to someone else's personal preferences.

Then your point is you are a hypocrite. It was you, not I, who criticized me for recognizing that winning 100 games in an achievement and indication whoever wins 100 is a VERY good team.

As you correctly identified, I am a pragmatic fan. But you went on to critique my personal preference.

Uhh, bro, these are really great and pragmatic outlooks on baseball if you don't happen to be a Yankee fan.

Yankee fans don't measure results by success in the death march of the regular season and count the number of seasonal booby prizes they can think about year after year.

You aren't speaking for your personal preference, you were speaking for Yankees fans. You choose to favorably compare yankees fans to fans who just personally prefer to root for other teams.

So I choose to point out how self-defeating that preference is. That your personal preference is perpetual disappointment.

In any context, I feel comfortable telling someone who "expects" something that has no better than a 10-15% of happening to happen and will be unfulfilled if it doesn't they don't seem to understand math. Attaching that "expectation" to any sports team doesn't change the math.

I see actual major league players, who have a talent beyond any of us and actually contribute to a team's success, wildly celebrate just qualifying for the postseason, and then celebrating a wildcard win.

If the players recognize those things are achievements and worth celebrating in September and October, I think I'm on safe ground recognizing then as achievements worth celebrating in November.

Unless you believe you have higher "standards" than Aaron Judge and Didi Gregorius.

I was having a baseball discussion about how good the 2018 Yankees were and their level of talent headed into the 2019 season. YOU interjected to tell me what the objective standards (dumb ones) of Yankees fans are.

NOW confronted with the ramifications of these "standards," now it's just a "personal preference."

Thank you for making my point for me.

Knickoftime
Posts: 23735
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2011
Member: #3370

11/26/2018  3:49 PM
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/good-mlb-teams-oppose-income-inequality/
Bonn1997
Posts: 58654
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
12/5/2018  5:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/5/2018  5:44 PM
No, Corbin. Yankees were outbid. Machado and Harper are young superstars. I hope the Yankees at least grab one of them. Even if the pitching isn’t substantially upgraded, Machado should save some runs.
jrodmc
Posts: 32928
Alba Posts: 50
Joined: 11/24/2004
Member: #805
USA
12/6/2018  9:13 AM
Agreed, but all I'm seeing from Cashman is they want pitching and middle infield; the outfield apparently has no room for Harper. Hopefully we get Muchado; they were peppering Boone yesterday on ESPN 98.7FM for his opinion on "players that don't hustle on routine groundouts"

You want Kluber or Cykel? Since we can't get both

Bonn1997
Posts: 58654
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
12/6/2018  12:20 PM
jrodmc wrote:Agreed, but all I'm seeing from Cashman is they want pitching and middle infield; the outfield apparently has no room for Harper. Hopefully we get Muchado; they were peppering Boone yesterday on ESPN 98.7FM for his opinion on "players that don't hustle on routine groundouts"

You want Kluber or Cykel? Since we can't get both


Machado's biggest mistake was careless wording. Half our guys don't hustle. Gary Sanchez comes to mind! I remember that triple Voit hit - he stared at it for 5 seconds admiring the home run he thought he hit.
Bonn1997
Posts: 58654
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
12/13/2018  12:22 PM
A few quotes from an insightful article
Former 'Evil Empire' Yankees Now Backing Down in MLB Free-Agent Money War
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2809992-former-evil-empire-yankees-now-backing-down-in-mlb-free-agent-money-war
Once upon a time, the New York Yankees were the perennial bullies of the MLB offseason. The big spenders. The Evil Empire. These days, the Bronx Bombers' bottomless budget is more fairy tale than reality.

In the 2018-19 offseason, New York was supposed to open its wallet wide for any number of glistening free agents, including superstars Bryce Harper and Manny Machado...is this a world where the Yankees aren't interested in generational talents such as Harper and Machado in the midst of their primes?...

The scion of George Steinbrenner is tepidly saying the team will spend as needed. But read between the lines, and it's clear the franchise would like to remain below the luxury-tax threshold in perpetuity. At the moment, New York ranks ninth in MLB in committed payroll for 2019, per Spotrac.

jrodmc
Posts: 32928
Alba Posts: 50
Joined: 11/24/2004
Member: #805
USA
12/14/2018  2:26 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:A few quotes from an insightful article
Former 'Evil Empire' Yankees Now Backing Down in MLB Free-Agent Money War
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2809992-former-evil-empire-yankees-now-backing-down-in-mlb-free-agent-money-war
Once upon a time, the New York Yankees were the perennial bullies of the MLB offseason. The big spenders. The Evil Empire. These days, the Bronx Bombers' bottomless budget is more fairy tale than reality.

In the 2018-19 offseason, New York was supposed to open its wallet wide for any number of glistening free agents, including superstars Bryce Harper and Manny Machado...is this a world where the Yankees aren't interested in generational talents such as Harper and Machado in the midst of their primes?...

The scion of George Steinbrenner is tepidly saying the team will spend as needed. But read between the lines, and it's clear the franchise would like to remain below the luxury-tax threshold in perpetuity. At the moment, New York ranks ninth in MLB in committed payroll for 2019, per Spotrac.


We really spent $130 million on McCann and Beltran?? Holy crap.
Bonn1997
Posts: 58654
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
12/16/2018  10:19 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:A few quotes from an insightful article
Former 'Evil Empire' Yankees Now Backing Down in MLB Free-Agent Money War
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2809992-former-evil-empire-yankees-now-backing-down-in-mlb-free-agent-money-war
Once upon a time, the New York Yankees were the perennial bullies of the MLB offseason. The big spenders. The Evil Empire. These days, the Bronx Bombers' bottomless budget is more fairy tale than reality.

In the 2018-19 offseason, New York was supposed to open its wallet wide for any number of glistening free agents, including superstars Bryce Harper and Manny Machado...is this a world where the Yankees aren't interested in generational talents such as Harper and Machado in the midst of their primes?...

The scion of George Steinbrenner is tepidly saying the team will spend as needed. But read between the lines, and it's clear the franchise would like to remain below the luxury-tax threshold in perpetuity. At the moment, New York ranks ninth in MLB in committed payroll for 2019, per Spotrac.


We really spent $130 million on McCann and Beltran?? Holy crap.

It doesn't always work out. At least they were willing to spend back then!
At the moment, New York ranks ninth in MLB in committed payroll for 2019, per Spotrac.
jrodmc
Posts: 32928
Alba Posts: 50
Joined: 11/24/2004
Member: #805
USA
12/18/2018  10:46 AM
Signed Happ. Not sure I'm overly thrilled with this rotation, but I guess it will have to do for next year. How the frick long can CC keep pitching? LMAO.

Now it's on to MuchoNoHustle-O...

Bonn1997
Posts: 58654
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
12/18/2018  4:22 PM
jrodmc wrote:Signed Happ. Not sure I'm overly thrilled with this rotation, but I guess it will have to do for next year. How the frick long can CC keep pitching? LMAO.

Now it's on to MuchoNoHustle-O...


We had a good team that was clearly third best in the AL. Maybe things will change but it doesn't look like the Steinbrenners feel any urgency to be better than third.
jrodmc
Posts: 32928
Alba Posts: 50
Joined: 11/24/2004
Member: #805
USA
12/19/2018  2:01 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Signed Happ. Not sure I'm overly thrilled with this rotation, but I guess it will have to do for next year. How the frick long can CC keep pitching? LMAO.

Now it's on to MuchoNoHustle-O...


We had a good team that was clearly third best in the AL. Maybe things will change but it doesn't look like the Steinbrenners feel any urgency to be better than third.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/david-lennon/greed-never-sleeps-on-yankees-death-star-1.24508457

Au contraire, Mr. Bonn; "The Death Star is still active" Cashman making sounds like a bid for Harper is not out of the picture. 2009 actually was long ago, even for Cashman.

And now we're paying Beltran as a consultant! How can you think the Steinbrenner's are going cheap???

Bonn1997
Posts: 58654
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
12/19/2018  7:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/19/2018  7:33 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Signed Happ. Not sure I'm overly thrilled with this rotation, but I guess it will have to do for next year. How the frick long can CC keep pitching? LMAO.

Now it's on to MuchoNoHustle-O...


We had a good team that was clearly third best in the AL. Maybe things will change but it doesn't look like the Steinbrenners feel any urgency to be better than third.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/david-lennon/greed-never-sleeps-on-yankees-death-star-1.24508457

Au contraire, Mr. Bonn; "The Death Star is still active" Cashman making sounds like a bid for Harper is not out of the picture. 2009 actually was long ago, even for Cashman.

And now we're paying Beltran as a consultant! How can you think the Steinbrenner's are going cheap???



We got Beltran - I guess that's Cashman's idea of adding a power hitter this off-season!
As of this moment, we have the 9th highest payroll. If that changes, then my view on their cheapness will change.
Bonn1997
Posts: 58654
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
12/30/2018  10:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/30/2018  10:11 AM
So in 2004, the Yankees paid their players $226 mil and the team took in $264 mil in revenue. In 2017, they paid the players $193 mil and took in $620 mil! Where exactly is the extra $400 mil going?!

The 2004 team reinvested roughly 85 percent of its revenue into player salaries while the 2018 version, based on some crude calculations, reinvested less than 30 percent, less even than the Tampa Bay Rays.

http://riveraveblues.com/2018/12/yankees-can-afford-sign-bryce-harper-manny-machado-182396/
jrodmc
Posts: 32928
Alba Posts: 50
Joined: 11/24/2004
Member: #805
USA
1/3/2019  8:52 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:So in 2004, the Yankees paid their players $226 mil and the team took in $264 mil in revenue. In 2017, they paid the players $193 mil and took in $620 mil! Where exactly is the extra $400 mil going?!

The 2004 team reinvested roughly 85 percent of its revenue into player salaries while the 2018 version, based on some crude calculations, reinvested less than 30 percent, less even than the Tampa Bay Rays.

http://riveraveblues.com/2018/12/yankees-can-afford-sign-bryce-harper-manny-machado-182396/

Hal's 401K?
jrodmc
Posts: 32928
Alba Posts: 50
Joined: 11/24/2004
Member: #805
USA
1/8/2019  3:36 PM
So we get Britton and Happ, and let Robertson go.
If we swing and missed on Muchado and stand looking on Harper, I'm going to have to agree with you Bonn.

A whopping $550K for a Tulo reclamation project is not getting us anywhere.

Bonn1997
Posts: 58654
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
1/9/2019  11:48 AM
jrodmc wrote:So we get Britton and Happ, and let Robertson go.
If we swing and missed on Muchado and stand looking on Harper, I'm going to have to agree with you Bonn.

A whopping $550K for a Tulo reclamation project is not getting us anywhere.


They're making $400 mil more per year than a decade ago and not spending more. They're spending a lower percentage of revenues on player salaries than any other team. It's mind-boggling. They should be grabbing Machado, Harper, and the top relief pitchers. Unless the Steinbrenners are just burning that extra $400 mil on crazy operating expenses, there should be plenty of money to take small gambles (and yes, spending 7 or 8% of the $400 mil on a player is a small gamble). They've convinced a sizable portion of the public that having a low payroll and mostly homegrown talent is noble in and of itself.
Bonn1997
Posts: 58654
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
1/11/2019  7:55 AM
jrodmc wrote:So we get Britton and Happ, and let Robertson go.
If we swing and missed on Muchado and stand looking on Harper, I'm going to have to agree with you Bonn.

A whopping $550K for a Tulo reclamation project is not getting us anywhere.


Looks like Tulo is going to be our top free agent acquisition this off-season (not counting bringing back FAs we had last year).
Yankees Talk thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy