[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yankees Talk thread
Author Thread
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

11/19/2018  5:53 PM
So, I'll proactively respond here.

I understand James Paxton. I get it. I get small windows. He may turn out to be great and the prospects nothing. I won't complain all winter because that's not what I do or why I follow sports.

But on the other hand, I have enjoyed watching Hicks and Didi and Sevy and Green and Betances and Judge and Sanchez and Anjujar and Torres and yes even Bird and Voit become the core of this team.

And they are the core because the Yankees let rookies fill holes in the line-up. And it worked. They're a good team.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Sheffield get his shot at being a homegrown(ish) long-time Yankee. I hope they'll still be room for young pitchers on the staff and we haven't moved into the stage where that is no longer a consideration and it HAS to be veterans.

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/20/2018  8:33 AM
I'll call this a good move. Paxton is an ace when healthy and you have to take some gambles. He's never had an ERA above 3.90! He's on the wrong side of 30 but he probably has some good years left in him. Here's an interesting Fangraphs article.
https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-yankees-now-have-a-second-ace/
Knickoftime

11/20/2018  9:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/20/2018  9:54 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:I'll call this a good move. Paxton is an ace when healthy and you have to take some gambles. He's never had an ERA above 3.90! He's on the wrong side of 30 but he probably has some good years left in him. Here's an interesting Fangraphs article.

Going to be interesting to see if the Yanks actually do go get Corbin or try for Kikuchi, Ryu or bring back Happ for less years.

There's a decent chance it's not a coincidence that last two major pitching acquisitions have been pre-FA pitchers (Gray and Paxton).

Yanks may be out of the 'giving a 30+ year-old 5 years' business and they'd have a LOT of evidence to support that strategy.

Chapman (a closer under 30) and Tanaka (25 at the time) were the last free agent pitchers they signed to lengthy deals.

Before that it was Sabathia's opt-out extension and Burnett in 2009.

Bonn1997
USA
11/20/2018  10:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/20/2018  11:04 AM
Knickoftime wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I'll call this a good move. Paxton is an ace when healthy and you have to take some gambles. He's never had an ERA above 3.90! He's on the wrong side of 30 but he probably has some good years left in him. Here's an interesting Fangraphs article.

Going to be interesting to see if the Yanks actually do go get Corbin or try for Kikuchi, Ryu or bring back Happ for less years.

There's a decent chance it's not a coincidence that last two major pitching acquisitions have been pre-FA pitchers (Gray and Paxton).

Yanks may be out of the 'giving a 30+ year-old 5 years' business and they'd have a LOT of evidence to support that strategy.

Chapman (a closer under 30) and Tanaka (25 at the time) were the last free agent pitchers they signed to lengthy deals.

Agreed about pitchers and actually all players over 30. The enticing thing about Machado and Harper is that they're in their mid 20s. They both have huge question marks too. All decisions are gambles.
Knickoftime

11/20/2018  11:27 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Agreed about pitchers and actually all players over 30. The enticing thing about Machado and Harper is that they're in their mid 20s. They both have huge question marks too. All decisions are gambles.

All decisions are gambles, but data does help quantify the odds. You can go to Vegas knowing which games favor the house more and less and what strategies better your odds as well.

And the data may support certain decisions being less likely to succeed than to succeed in sufficient odds to avoid as strategy.

For me, seeing the evolving strategy is an interesting part of the game. Seeing the same dynamic repeat itself year in and year out and trying to relive the same thing again and again isn't all that interesting.

Last year I thought Ohtani was fascinating, not because of what I concluded his odds of succeeding would be, but because it's be so interesting to witness one way or another.

Bonn1997
USA
11/20/2018  12:04 PM
Based on the Gray and Paxton trades, it looks like the Yankees would rather pay for pitchers with prospects (via trade) than dollars (via free agency). That's only a set of 2 decisions though. It's not necessarily a better gamble - just a different one. It will be interesting to see if they go after Corbin.
Knickoftime

11/20/2018  12:39 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Based on the Gray and Paxton trades, it looks like the Yankees would rather pay for pitchers with prospects (via trade) than dollars (via free agency). That's only a set of 2 decisions though. It's not necessarily a better gamble - just a different one. It will be interesting to see if they go after Corbin.

Not necessarily, but again, all front offices are now heavily reliant on analytics, and the Yankees data may be telling them to avoid long-term commitments to pitchers and/or pitchers over 30.

It may in fact be a better gamble the same way Blackjack is a better gamble than roulette. Doesn't mean you can win at roulette or lose at Blackjack on any given day, but to say all gambles are no better or worse but just different misses the point of analytics.

Bonn1997
USA
11/20/2018  2:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/20/2018  2:17 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Based on the Gray and Paxton trades, it looks like the Yankees would rather pay for pitchers with prospects (via trade) than dollars (via free agency). That's only a set of 2 decisions though. It's not necessarily a better gamble - just a different one. It will be interesting to see if they go after Corbin.

Not necessarily, but again, all front offices are now heavily reliant on analytics, and the Yankees data may be telling them to avoid long-term commitments to pitchers and/or pitchers over 30.

It may in fact be a better gamble the same way Blackjack is a better gamble than roulette. Doesn't mean you can win at roulette or lose at Blackjack on any given day, but to say all gambles are no better or worse but just different misses the point of analytics.

One can debate whether in general trading prospects for veteran pitchers works more often than signing pitchers. Each individual trade or signing still needs to be carefully evaluated - with a heavy emphasis on the analytics. No one is dismissing them. No one is saying all gambles are equal either. That would be absurd.
Knickoftime

11/20/2018  2:57 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:One can debate whether in general trading prospects for veteran pitchers works more often than signing pitchers.

Not much of a debate without data. That's largely an issue of math, not philosophy.

It remains to be seen if the Yankees will sign a pitcher to a big deal. But I think we can conclude the Yankees no longer practice 'its better just to sign needs for money' approach.

SOMETHING is telling them its as good if not better to give up MiLB assets for a few years of pre-FA team control rather than signing a FA to the years FA markets command.

Bonn1997
USA
11/20/2018  3:06 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:One can debate whether in general trading prospects for veteran pitchers works more often than signing pitchers.

Not much of a debate without data. That's largely an issue of math, not philosophy.

It remains to be seen if the Yankees will sign a pitcher to a big deal. But I think we can conclude the Yankees no longer practice 'its better just to sign needs for money' approach.

SOMETHING is telling them its as good if not better to give up MiLB assets for a few years of pre-FA team control rather than signing a FA to the years FA markets command.

Yeah, it's definitely an issue of math. Debate wasn't the right word.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
11/21/2018  8:57 AM
Knickoftime wrote:So, I'll proactively respond here.

I understand James Paxton. I get it. I get small windows. He may turn out to be great and the prospects nothing. I won't complain all winter because that's not what I do or why I follow sports.

But on the other hand, I have enjoyed watching Hicks and Didi and Sevy and Green and Betances and Judge and Sanchez and Anjujar and Torres and yes even Bird and Voit become the core of this team.

And they are the core because the Yankees let rookies fill holes in the line-up. And it worked. They're a good team.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Sheffield get his shot at being a homegrown(ish) long-time Yankee. I hope they'll still be room for young pitchers on the staff and we haven't moved into the stage where that is no longer a consideration and it HAS to be veterans.

What exactly is Bird a core of in your world? He flashed, immediately got hurt, now he sucks and he's hurt almost all the time.
Do you just not complain about anything, other than fans complaining about not winning it all every year?

Bonn1997
USA
11/21/2018  9:41 AM
jrodmc wrote:

What exactly is Bird a core of in your world? He flashed, immediately got hurt, now he sucks and he's hurt almost all the time.
Do you just not complain about anything, other than fans complaining about not winning it all every year?

I'd also add that it's a bit premature to call Voit a core piece of the team. He played great but it was only about 20% of a season and his BABIP was really high.
Knickoftime

11/21/2018  9:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/21/2018  9:53 AM
jrodmc wrote:

He was the Yankees best player during their best postseason run in 10 years. That happened.

I make no bones about the fact I enjoy seeing the home grown guys succeed. Unless you live under a rock, it should be very clear that the Yankees as an organization LOVE Greg Bird and believe in his ability.

Since I'm in no way anxious about baseball, i believe in multiple paths to success. I've seen young players who where hurt all the time until they weren't.

Good news is Bird still costs almost nothing and the Yankees now have another first option. I'm happy to see if he can force his way back into their plans.

There is no downside to keeping an open mind about him. Not a 25 man roster spot, necessarily, just an open mind.

I don't complain about something that is meant to be fun and by any reasonable standard has been one of the most successful sports franchises of the last 25 years, no.

And I don't complain about "fans" complaining about not winning it all every year, I comment on the guaranteed, self-defeating, futility of it and the fact I don't think fans who do that even really understand what that last sentence means.

They're invested in guaranteed failure.

That's always a poor choice regardless of circumstance.

Knickoftime

11/21/2018  9:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/21/2018  10:02 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

I'd also add that it's a bit premature to call Voit a core piece of the team. He played great but it was only about 20% of a season and his BABIP was really high.

That's fine, I was trying to express my enjoyment of players like that graduating to core pieces more than making a prediction.

But the Yankees were still a very good offense with mostly Bird being awful, some fill-ins being a little better and Voit being great for a month or so.

I'm not invested in adding some new, "sure" thing. I'm happy to see Voit/Bird try to man the position between them in some combo or one taking charge, then address it in July (or sooner) if still necessary.

I'll also add this, the changing free agent landscape likely means they'll likely be many veteran DH/1B/bench bat types that'll still be looking for work after the season starts and/or will be willing to take minor league deals until June 1st or something like that. Perhaps whomever the Yankees get to man second/or short becomes ANOTHER option if/when Gregorius returns.

Don't get me wrong, I won't complain in the Yankees sign Bryce Harper and stick him at first. But I'm okay okay with NOT getting a belt or CJ Cron type.

jrodmc
USA
11/21/2018  10:07 AM

jrodmc wrote:What exactly is Bird a core of in your world? He flashed, immediately got hurt, now he sucks and he's hurt almost all the time.

Knickoftime wrote:He was the Yankees best player during their best postseason run in 10 years. That happened.

So Greg Bird played on the 2009 team that won it all? I must have missed that. Before posting, it's always good to check your math.

Knickoftime wrote:I make no bones about the fact I enjoy seeing the home grown guys succeed. Unless you live under a rock, it should be very clear that the Yankees as an organization LOVE Greg Bird and believe in his ability.

Do you make any bones about ignoring the fact that some home grown guys are NOT succeeding? Or while not living under a rock, you just enjoy being delusional?

jrodmc wrote:Do you just not complain about anything, other than fans complaining about not winning it all every year?

Knickoftime wrote:I don't complain about something that is meant to be fun and by any reasonable standard has been one of the most successful sports franchises of the last 25 years, no.

And I don't complain about "fans" complaining about not winning it all every year, I comment on the guaranteed, self-defeating, futility of it and the fact I don't think fans who do that even really understand what that last sentence means.

They're invested in guaranteed failure.

That's always a poor choice regardless of circumstance.

Your logic and semantical hopscotch is often stunning. Fans of the most successful sports franchise in the last 25 years are invested in guaranteed failure. How does that work in your sunny world of happy commenting?
Knickoftime

11/21/2018  10:29 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/21/2018  10:41 AM
jrodmc wrote:

jrodmc wrote:What exactly is Bird a core of in your world? He flashed, immediately got hurt, now he sucks and he's hurt almost all the time.

Knickoftime wrote:He was the Yankees best player during their best postseason run in 10 years. That happened.

So Greg Bird played on the 2009 team that won it all? I must have missed that. Before posting, it's always good to check your math.

Indeed, I was off by a year.

The last 9 seasons. Matsui and Arod get the 10 year-distinction.

I appreciate the correction.

Knickoftime wrote:I make no bones about the fact I enjoy seeing the home grown guys succeed. Unless you live under a rock, it should be very clear that the Yankees as an organization LOVE Greg Bird and believe in his ability.

Do you make any bones about ignoring the fact that some home grown guys are NOT succeeding? Or while not living under a rock, you just enjoy being delusional?

I don't.

Greg Bird overall has not been very good to this point other than small pockets of success. No argument made or implied.

jrodmc wrote:Your logic and semantical hopscotch is often stunning. Fans of the most successful sports franchise in the last 25 years are invested in guaranteed failure. How does that work in your sunny world of happy commenting?

Its actually pretty straightforward.

You described them needing to win the WS every every year to be successful.

By your "standards" (that really aren't) they have not been successful 17 of the last 18 seasons. You are a fan of and follow a mostly unsuccessful team, by your own terms.

They will NOT win every WS moving forward. They will not be successful by your "standards" (that really aren't) most seasons.

So you're invested in an premise that is guaranteed to fail and you WILL be disappointed many more seasons than not.

As I already said, I've seen enough and your last post just confirms you don't really get that. You need to be willing to confront fan "logic" and I don't get the sense you're prepared to do that.

Bonn1997
USA
11/21/2018  6:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/21/2018  6:35 PM
I’m somewhere between the two of you but closer to Jrod. I disagree with your definition of standards though. I just looked up several definitions of the term and I do believe Jrod is expressing a standard.
Knickoftime

11/21/2018  10:16 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:I’m somewhere between the two of you but closer to Jrod. I disagree with your definition of standards though. I just looked up several definitions of the term and I do believe Jrod is expressing a standard.

Well, then, let's explore.

Understand the other party to this issue describes it as the singular right of Yankees fans to believe a season without a WS win is unsuccessful and then also chooses to describe the Yankees as the most "successful" sports franchise of the last 25 years.

This is accurate, but when we're talking about sports recency bias is relevant and he didn't choose to name the most successful sports franchise of the last 5 years, or 10, or 15, or 20, or of the last generation. You need to take it out to 25 to make them the most successful team in their own division much less all of sports.

And this subjective framing of the argument is the whole point.

The Yankee "standard," as it applies to fans, has to real world utility ... it has no real world value. It is something that exists solely as an idea and only means anything to the people who choose to think of themselves that way.

It a weightless self-image.

And there is no evidence whatsoever, that this "standard," which let's be realistic here, few to NO fans act on in any way that matters, in any way affects the Yankees. They have committed to their recent austerity and observance of the LT threshold despite the complaints by these certain fans.

So again, find me a value to this standard other than self-image?

Even if I were to agree for sake of discussion, this self-image had any real world utility other than making some people feel better about themselves, the base logic of it is self-defeating.

Jdroc's description of being a Yankee fan is as some sort of superior standard. But let's look at the facts.

Its very HARD to win a post-season tournament. The Yankees are not going to win every one, in fact, they won't win most.

So by his terms, most seasons will be unfulfilling, unsatisfying, unsuccessful. 18 of the last 19 seasons have met that criteria. The Red Sox ARE the superior organization by his own standard the further you move away from the late 90s.

So his definition of being a superior grade of fan of a recreational past-time is being less fulfilled, less satisfied, more frustrated.

In what context other than sports fandom do all these negative things equate to superior and MORE desirable?

Again, when you discount the value of SELF-image, the very premise is ridiculous.

"I'm better, because I'm LESS fulfilled and LESS satisfied and MORE frustrated."

The day a fan can look through the trappings of sports fandom and see that statement for what it inherently is, is the say he or she can pass go and collect their $200.

jrodmc
USA
11/23/2018  11:08 AM
Knickoftime wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I’m somewhere between the two of you but closer to Jrod. I disagree with your definition of standards though. I just looked up several definitions of the term and I do believe Jrod is expressing a standard.

Well, then, let's explore.

Understand the other party to this issue describes it as the singular right of Yankees fans to believe a season without a WS win is unsuccessful and then also chooses to describe the Yankees as the most "successful" sports franchise of the last 25 years.

This is accurate, but when we're talking about sports recency bias is relevant and he didn't choose to name the most successful sports franchise of the last 5 years, or 10, or 15, or 20, or of the last generation. You need to take it out to 25 to make them the most successful team in their own division much less all of sports.

And this subjective framing of the argument is the whole point.

The Yankee "standard," as it applies to fans, has to real world utility ... it has no real world value. It is something that exists solely as an idea and only means anything to the people who choose to think of themselves that way.

It a weightless self-image.

And there is no evidence whatsoever, that this "standard," which let's be realistic here, few to NO fans act on in any way that matters, in any way affects the Yankees. They have committed to their recent austerity and observance of the LT threshold despite the complaints by these certain fans.

So again, find me a value to this standard other than self-image?

Even if I were to agree for sake of discussion, this self-image had any real world utility other than making some people feel better about themselves, the base logic of it is self-defeating.

Jdroc's description of being a Yankee fan is as some sort of superior standard. But let's look at the facts.

Its very HARD to win a post-season tournament. The Yankees are not going to win every one, in fact, they won't win most.

So by his terms, most seasons will be unfulfilling, unsatisfying, unsuccessful. 18 of the last 19 seasons have met that criteria. The Red Sox ARE the superior organization by his own standard the further you move away from the late 90s.

So his definition of being a superior grade of fan of a recreational past-time is being less fulfilled, less satisfied, more frustrated.

In what context other than sports fandom do all these negative things equate to superior and MORE desirable?

Again, when you discount the value of SELF-image, the very premise is ridiculous.

"I'm better, because I'm LESS fulfilled and LESS satisfied and MORE frustrated."

The day a fan can look through the trappings of sports fandom and see that statement for what it inherently is, is the say he or she can pass go and collect their $200.

You seem to equate a higher standard and fandom expectations with self-image, self-esteem and personal fulfillment. Which outlook I find personally baffling as grown men talking about pro sports.

Lets take this slowly, shall we?

"one of the most successful sports franchises of the last 25 years." Your words describing the Yankees, not mine.

I actually look upon them as THE most successful sports franchise of all time, the fuhucking Celtics be damned. Be that as it may, it doesn't define my level of fulfillment, frustration, satisfaction as a fan. I've been a fan of the Yankees for close to 5 decades. There have been long periods where they sucked terribly. And before we get into another dissertative set of 20 posts defining what "sucking terribly" means, that would include not winning a WS.

There seems to be two rather distant poles in your thought process.
1) Success can't be winning it all, because that doesn't happen every season, and this will lead to all sorts of personal unhappiness that is a sign of unbalanced fandom, if not incipient insanity, among other things.
2) Happiness and self fulfillment are only found in fandom firmly grounded in the fact that winning everything, every year is not going to happen.

The Yankees added a supposedly huge bat to the lineup before this past season, and we had a burgeoning core of yoots.
I expected to win a World Series.
The Yankess lost to the Red Sox.
That sucked and said suckiness does not get assuaged by saying "100 wins, 100 wins, 100 wins" over and over.
Yet, I'm still, and will remain a Yankee fan.

We are in the off season and there are other large, expensive and brilliantly shiny things that can be bought.
I expect to win a World Series.
Anything less than that will still suck.
And should anything less than that occur yet again, I will still be a Yankee fan.
See how that works?

My happiness, fulfillment and non-frustration levels will not, and would not be higher if I should say, abandon my annual expectations and wallow in the joy of lower levels of expectation.

I would like Cashman to possibly outdo his name and buy everything that might make us into a frighteningly unfair juggernaut that would steamroll past the Sox and win it all. I really don't care if we win 81 games or 160 on the way there.

If he doesn't, I will still be a Yankee fan. That's my preference, not a prescription for self-fulfillment, happiness and lowered levels of frustration.

I am a homer fan-atic. I actually enjoy listening to John Sterling's home run calls. Run that concept through your "real world utility" lens.

Knickoftime wrote:So by his terms, most seasons will be unfulfilling, unsatisfying, unsuccessful. 18 of the last 19 seasons have met that criteria. The Red Sox ARE the superior organization by his own standard the further you move away from the late 90s.

I repost your quote because you are not describing Yankee fandom here, you are describing front running as a way of life.
Your exercise in re-framing time periods to identify other teams that are better than the one I just happen to be a fan of is a bit perplexing.

I describe the fact that the Yankees have more WS rings than any other team in the sport. That sets a higher level of expectation for me, most other Yankee fans and the vast majority of the media that cover the team, unless of course, you live under your proverbial rock.

Win it all, or get busy getting/buying/growing the parts to win it all. I think the only point of contention here between us is the possible value of spending Steinbrenner dollars to get there (win a WS) NOW.

Life is good, either way.

Knickoftime

11/23/2018  12:26 PM
jrodmc wrote:I expected to win a World Series.

Which is ridiculous.

It is completely irrational for anyone to expect any sports team to win a championship. Winning championships is VERY HARD.

The Yankess lost to the Red Sox. That sucked and said suckiness does not get assuaged by saying "100 wins, 100 wins, 100 wins" over and over.

To YOU.

100 wins is an objectively rare achievement, whether YOU choose to recognize that fact or not.

I expect to win a World Series.

You're setting yourself up for unmet expecations. Plain and simple.

Anything less than that will still suck. And should anything less than that occur yet again, I will still be a Yankee fan.
See how that works?

I do.

Any rhetoric about expectations and suckiness is just vapor. It has no real meaning other than words you choose to use.

My happiness, fulfillment and non-frustration levels will not, and would not be higher if I should say, abandon my annual expectations and wallow in the joy of lower levels of expectation.

Again, this means nothing to anyone but yourself. It is all self-image.

I would like Cashman to possibly outdo his name and buy everything that might make us into a frighteningly unfair juggernaut that would steamroll past the Sox and win it all. I really don't care if we win 81 games or 160 on the way there.

That will not happen. Congratulations, you've achieved guaranteed disappointment.

You win.

Knickoftime wrote:I describe the fact that the Yankees have more WS rings than any other team in the sport. That sets a higher level of expectation for me, most other Yankee fans and the vast majority of the media that cover the team, unless of course, you live under your proverbial rock.

And I'll ask again, what is the value or utility of that perceived higher level of expectation other than your image of yourself?

Everything in your post is simply you a.) describing things that will not happen; and b.) rationalizing that because you expect them to happen despite that, that this somehow reflects positively on you.

I'll remind you, nobody but you cares about your irrational expectations.

Yankees Talk thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy