[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yankees Talk thread
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/24/2015  4:10 PM
Yeah, Bird is looking like a great hitter.

I guess we're taking the wild card. Toronto beat us 13 games to 6 in the 19 times we met this season.

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
USA
9/30/2015  6:03 PM
Just noticed that in only 2 months (since 7/28) the Blue Jays have gained 13 1/2 games on the Yankees!
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
9/30/2015  7:14 PM
Yea the Yankees were up 9 games I believe. So pathetic. Most boring team I've ever seen the past few years. I am so disgusted in cash an, girardi and this group of geriatrics that I would seriously consider rooting for the Mets to beat them. But we won't have to worry about that because I don't see the Yankees getting out of the wild card game Nevermind winning a series.

By he way how's that Elsbury contract going for them these days?

They' love win more games than I ever thought they would at the beginning of the year but I said it then. It would not last with the way this team was constructed.

I've been pretty disgusted with Reece and the Football Giants this year but no where near as disgusted as I am with these Yankees. I talk to these Yankee beat writers and journalists and we all agree. The front office has no idea what they are doing. From signing old guys to the mismanagement of players and the overall roster to Girardi's over managing yet failing to make changes when the offense of struggling. No bunting, no hitting to the opposite side of the shift and worst of all his obsession with using every pitcher on the roster. Which is made worse with the expansion of he roster with the September call ups. This team is disgusting. I'm going to go take a shower now

Bonn1997
USA
10/5/2015  7:28 AM
Well, for the record, Refsnyder has been playing pretty well, and we might be doing a little better in the standings if he'd gotten more of a chance earlier. We'd still be in the wild card though. It's good that he and Bird are playing well. Bird's fielding #s are a little concerning but it's early in his career and his hitting has been great.
Bonn1997
USA
10/5/2015  7:38 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2015  7:40 AM
This doesn't look good. I think we have to be considered the underdog despite playing the wild card game at home. Here's Wallace Matthews commenting on the Yankees' odds in the game against the Astros.
There is no earthly reason to think they [the Yankees] can win that game, not with Dallas Keuchel, a left-handed ground-ball machine who went 20-8 with a 2.48 ERA, on the mound for the Houston Astros, the league's leading home-run hitting team batting in a home run hitter's paradise of a ballpark.
Then again, Keuchel has been a different pitcher at home than on the road, 15-0 with a 1.46 ERA at Minute Maid Park as opposed to 5-8, 3.77 on the road. Thirteen of the 17 home runs he has allowed came on the road. And the Astros overall were a horrendous road team, with just 33 of their 86 victories coming in visiting ballparks for a road winning percentage of .413.
Plus, Keuchel will be going on three days' rest, something he has never done in his four big-league seasons.

He does try to provide some balance but I still think it looks bad for the Yankees. Even the road 3.77 ERA that Matthews cites against Keuchel is actually pretty good.
gunsnewing
USA
10/5/2015  8:16 AM
The is no way the Yankees are winning this game. Nor do they deserve to to win it. Chances are the Yankees get shut out. I'm gonna say 4-0 final score. Bird got off to a great start but really cooled off. Refsnyder should start at 2nd base if they Are going to even have a remote chance of winning this game. No question about it. This offense is pathetic. As is the pitching outside of Tanaka and Severino. I can see Tanaka pitching well in this game like 7 innings 3 runs. I see the offense squeezing the bats a little tighter and pressing. Hope I'm wrong. If they do win this game and lose in the ALDS then I think they they can somewhat hold their heads high for actually accomplishing something with this pathetic geriatric roster. They lose and it was a downright collapse. But one many Yankee fans saw coming. They better do something in the off season to rid themselves of the Elsbury, Beltran, Texeira & Sabathias or it's going to be much of the same the next few years.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/5/2015  1:29 PM
Team cooled at the end when Toronto would not relent. BlueJays were incredible since the all star game and Girardi did a great job this sesason to even get them to this position.
They lost their sense of urgency when they could not comeback form the bluejays.

All in all a very very good season.

I expect the Yankees to win. The "Colt45's" stink away from home and their pitcher, a likely CY young winner is going on 3 days in a big game. They too have not faired well down the stretch.

Nobody should feel good about a yankee given the last 10 games but they are home. Its one game, anything can happen!!!!!

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/5/2015  3:43 PM
Nalod wrote:Team cooled at the end when Toronto would not relent. BlueJays were incredible since the all star game and Girardi did a great job this sesason to even get them to this position.
They lost their sense of urgency when they could not comeback form the bluejays.

I expect the Yankees to win. The "Colt45's" stink away from home and their pitcher, a likely CY young winner is going on 3 days in a big game. They too have not faired well down the stretch.

Nobody should feel good about a yankee given the last 10 games but they are home. Its one game, anything can happen!!!!!

The yankees were on no ones list to make the playoffs this yr, so give a little credit to giradi, but make no mistake we look like a one and done

ES
Bonn1997
USA
10/5/2015  3:52 PM
Nalod wrote:Team cooled at the end when Toronto would not relent. BlueJays were incredible since the all star game and Girardi did a great job this sesason to even get them to this position.

It's crazy. In a little over 2 months, the Blue Jays gained fourteen games on the Yankees!
gunsnewing
USA
10/5/2015  5:09 PM
Which begs the question. What was the Yankees record since the allstar break? 10 maybe 20games under .500?

Only in baseball can you get away with making the playoffs losing virtually every game the final 2+ months of the season. Imagine doing that in football, basketball, hockey & soccer?

Bonn1997
USA
10/5/2015  7:48 PM
39-35. They were an OK team. Toronto was phenomenal though.
Finestrg
Member: #1069

10/5/2015  10:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2015  10:56 PM
First off I agree with knicks1248--even though they stumbled in embarrassingly so, they deserve some credit for making the post-season. I don't feel good about tomorrow but you know what, Houston didn't exactly play great down the stretch either. As for Dallas Keuchel--he's had a great year--but he's a slightly different pitcher on the road than at home + he'll be pitching on short rest...

A buddy of mine just reminded me that there have been plenty of examples of teams either going into the post-season ice cold or red hot and then having the exact opposite occur once the post-season began. That's true--Michael Kay was just talking about that in fact. You never know -- it really is a clean slate tomorrow...I expect a low-scoring affair. Hopefully Keuchel's off his game just enough that when we do get those couple of opportunities we can get to him AND THEN hopefully Tanaka's on his game. How 'bout the Tanaka that DOMINATED the Blue Jays TWICE the last two times he faced them -- that's the guy we need tomorrow. He's sure capable. A lot's being made of Keuchel but we don't exactly have some stiff going. They're a free-swinging team and we have a pitcher that when on generates a lot of swings & misses. Curious about two things going in: will Joe go with Young over Gardy in LF and also, will he start the kid Refsnyder at 2B? I say yes to both.

Crazy about CC, huh? Hopefully big fella gets the help that he needs but WOW, on the eve of the playoffs?!?! It's really ashame -- he was actually pitching pretty well down the stretch too. Crazy...Crazy that this problem wasn't noticed by someone or that CC himself didn't come to the realization sooner -- I can't help but think this should've been identified and addressed much sooner... I mean if we're lucky enough to move on, he would've gotten the ball in a potential game 4 against KC.. Again, someone's health is always the most important thing so I hope he gets himself right but wow, talk about bad timing. Just one more obstacle for this team to overcome. Hopefully they're up for these challenges that lay ahead.

Bonn1997
USA
10/6/2015  6:44 AM
Finestrg wrote:First off I agree with knicks1248--even though they stumbled in embarrassingly so, they deserve some credit for making the post-season. I don't feel good about tomorrow but you know what, Houston didn't exactly play great down the stretch either. As for Dallas Keuchel--he's had a great year--but he's a slightly different pitcher on the road than at home + he'll be pitching on short rest...

A buddy of mine just reminded me that there have been plenty of examples of teams either going into the post-season ice cold or red hot and then having the exact opposite occur once the post-season began. That's true--Michael Kay was just talking about that in fact. You never know -- it really is a clean slate tomorrow...I expect a low-scoring affair. Hopefully Keuchel's off his game just enough that when we do get those couple of opportunities we can get to him AND THEN hopefully Tanaka's on his game. How 'bout the Tanaka that DOMINATED the Blue Jays TWICE the last two times he faced them -- that's the guy we need tomorrow. He's sure capable. A lot's being made of Keuchel but we don't exactly have some stiff going. They're a free-swinging team and we have a pitcher that when on generates a lot of swings & misses. Curious about two things going in: will Joe go with Young over Gardy in LF and also, will he start the kid Refsnyder at 2B? I say yes to both.

Crazy about CC, huh? Hopefully big fella gets the help that he needs but WOW, on the eve of the playoffs?!?! It's really ashame -- he was actually pitching pretty well down the stretch too. Crazy...Crazy that this problem wasn't noticed by someone or that CC himself didn't come to the realization sooner -- I can't help but think this should've been identified and addressed much sooner... I mean if we're lucky enough to move on, he would've gotten the ball in a potential game 4 against KC.. Again, someone's health is always the most important thing so I hope he gets himself right but wow, talk about bad timing. Just one more obstacle for this team to overcome. Hopefully they're up for these challenges that lay ahead.

I agree that there are some factors weighing against Houston (like 3 days rest for Keuchel, etc.), and anything can happen in one game. Still, I'd give the Yankees at best a 40% shot. Yeah, I commented about CC in the Knicks forum but it is crazy.
gunsnewing
USA
10/6/2015  9:20 PM
2-0 Houston Astros

Right in line with what I expected. Go Astros!!

fitzfarm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3285

10/6/2015  9:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2015  9:59 PM
Man that home plate umpire has a completely different strike zone for Dallas k. That kid throws balls for strikes no wonder he is a 20 game winner. I would be one to with that strike zone. Gosh imagine if Mike moose had that strike zone he'd be the greatest pitcher in mlb history!
gunsnewing
USA
10/6/2015  10:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2015  10:36 PM
Yankee stadium will be a quiet empty stadium next year.
gunsnewing
USA
10/6/2015  10:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2015  10:39 PM
Guess Yankees will join C.C. at the bar/rehab now
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/6/2015  11:52 PM
What the hell happen, the team looked terrible since labor day
ES
Finestrg
Member: #1069

10/7/2015  12:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2015  11:34 AM
fitzfarm wrote:Man that home plate umpire has a completely different strike zone for Dallas k. That kid throws balls for strikes no wonder he is a 20 game winner. I would be one to with that strike zone. Gosh imagine if Mike moose had that strike zone he'd be the greatest pitcher in mlb history!

Man, I was saying the same thing throughout the game. Keuchel got EVERY close pitch tonight--and so many of those were off the friggin' plate. Even the couple of relievers they used got the calls with these pitches off the plate (how 'bout the Sipp pitch to Bird for strike 3?).. Made it impossible to be patient and try to wait out Keuchel. Ahh, what are ya gonna do man..Lights out...The Astros were the better team. Keuchel deserves a lot of credit--John Kruk called him Tom Glavine with a better curveball and I think that's spot on. The guy's the real deal, esp. if he's getting pitches off the plate like that! Congrats to Houston -- I like that team. They'll be the team I'll be rooting for to go far this post-season.

My thing right now -- how do you fix the Yankees going forward? How do you tweak this team for next year for the better? Who do you add, who do you subtract?? I think we're looking at a transition yr. of pretty much more of the same...Where would you start? The offense has been a collective disappointment the entire 2nd half, let's start there--Beltran's got one more yr. at $15mm and Judge isn't ready, so status quo in RF...I like Headley but we can clearly do better at 3rd--problem here is Headley's on the hook for another $39mm over the next 3 seasons. The reality on Headley: average player that's overpaid...A-Rod and Tex were very good for the most part this season but can we honestly sit here and expect the same production? That's wishful thinking and on top of that--here's another 2 players on the hook for big money (A-Rod's owed $40mm total over the next two seasons and we have Tex for another season at just over $23mm). You figure a full-time Ackley/Refsnyder platoon at 2B should help but who even knows if the Yanks believe that. We'll have to see if they continue their love affair with Ryan and Drew...At short, I preferred signing Jung-Ho Kang during the off-season (that dude Kang was on his way to ROY in the NL before he got hurt)--I suppose Gregorius turned out to be a decent overall player, but a guy that may not get much better than what we see now (great fielder but a rather average/undisciplined hitter). We need to continue to keep a close eye on this Jorge Mateo--this guy could move quickly up the food chain--he might turn out to be a better option over Didi. He's developing into a real stud leadoff hitter in the minors--I wouldn't be surprised to see this dude in AA or even AAA next yr at some point...I think we can expect more from Ellsbury in center next season but regardless, he and Gardner aren't going anywhere and aren't getting any younger (Gardy's set to make another $24mm over the next two years and Ellsbury's contract takes him all the way to 2021 at over $21mm per). Ashame about Gardy--he's one of my favorites on the team but the guy just disappeared in the 2nd half of the season, 2 yrs in a row now I believe.

The only tweaks I can see offensively: resign Dustin Ackley & pencil in Ackley/Refsnyder as a 2B platoon (keeping one of Ryan or Drew around for defense and bench depth), tell A-Rod to dust off his glove and get ready to resume playing 3rd part-time (I don't know if Headley's an everyday player--if A-Rod's physically able to play the field next year, I'd like him back in the mix at 3rd) and then go out and get an impact bat, maybe someone like Chris Davis (I know he whiffs a lot but can you imagine this guy in YS with the short porch? 40, even 50 HRs/potential MVP talk wouldn't be out of the question). There are problems with that though -- Davis will command a ton of money off the hot finish (say somewhere close to $100mm -- the payroll's already at $187-188mm next season--if they decide to add Davis, you figure that'll add another $20mm for next yr give or take--we'll be over $200mm again and won't be able to do much else moving forward), would Davis settle for primarily a DH role?, and it would retard Bird's development (which will already be affected by Tex coming back next yr). What we could do though is secure Davis as a FA, he takes over at 1st for Tex after next season and we shop Bird for a 3rd baseman upgrade over Headley or more pitching..

I think the pitching will be fairly solid again -- the bullpen will continue to be one of the best in baseball on the two backend guys alone and I like the rotation -- Tanaka's still the ace; Severino's the real deal; I like Eovaldi a lot--I think this guy continues to grow and develop into a real solid #2-3; CC's still under contract for at least 1 more yr (I think it's 2)--he's a lefty that will eat innings; Pineda & Nova should both be better; Warren is quality depth as either a starter or reliever; and even though he hasn't shown much, I still think Bryan Mitchell's stuff is too good to ignore -- he should be a top priority for them starting with winterball instructional league. Either he's incorporated somehow or he could be an attractive trade chip to package with a Greg Bird to go get something we need--an everyday 3rd baseman with big-time pop, another frontline SP?--provided we did sign Chris Davis).

I dunno, make any sense? Let's hear some thoughts on how to better this team for next year before we shut down this thread for awhile.

gunsnewing
USA
10/7/2015  6:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2015  6:24 AM
I don't see it getting any better until all these contracts are off the book. It's insane. Some of these contracts aren't up for another couple of years! No one is taking on these contracts especiall especially Elsbury who is getting older and far removed from his 50hr season. You couldn't trade even if his contract was decent. You might've been able to trade Texeira if he wasn't so brittle. Everyone can use that power in the middle of the lineup. The only thing I can see is Seattle wanting to get out of Cano's long term contract and taking on Texeira's shorter deal but is that what we want? Cano is 2yrs older now. Sack Cashman & Girardi and let these guys contracts expire. Even those guys were just signed long term. This organization has no clue what they are doing man!
Yankees Talk thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy