[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yankees Talk thread
Author Thread
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/3/2015  10:23 AM
1 game cutthroat is best. Baseball as a sport is just too friggin long already...

Can't believe the run Drew's been having. WFAN is almost giddy talking about his .200+ batting avg...

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/3/2015  2:37 PM
Finestrg wrote:Just curious -- do you guys like the current setup where there's only 1 playoff game between the two wildcard teams to see who gets in or would you rather see a best of 3 between the two teams?

It's OK unless we lose the game!
Seriously, I don't like the fact that if we lose the game, our season is lost, while a division winner with a worse season gets to play a whole series.
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

9/3/2015  4:12 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Finestrg wrote:Just curious -- do you guys like the current setup where there's only 1 playoff game between the two wildcard teams to see who gets in or would you rather see a best of 3 between the two teams?

It's OK unless we lose the game!
Seriously, I don't like the fact that if we lose the game, our season is lost, while a division winner with a worse season gets to play a whole series.

Right. That's kind of how I feel as well. A best of 3 would give a little better determination on who deserves to move on. And while we're at it, I wouldn't mind a day or two off after the wildcard best of 3 series is over. Seems a little unfair to have to blow your ace in such a game (or a best of 3) and then not have him available for the first game and also multiple games (game 4 or 5) of the Division Series. That might be asking for too much though..People will say that a wildcard team is lucky even to get into the playoffs. That's true--I can see the logic in giving the division winners an advantage, they probably do deserve it, unless like you're saying, one of the division winners winds up with a worse record than one of the wildcard teams. Can't really make a case for them deserving an advantage in that scenario. Any advantage should probably go to the teams that won the most regular season games. The whole wildcard affair feels like it needs to be tweaked a little better.

grillco
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3202

9/4/2015  8:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/4/2015  8:34 AM

I think the NBA and NHL have it right. Have the best teams in each conference play each other regardless of division. Guaranteeing that lesser teams get in because they topped a weak division while better teams (sometimes significantly, as in 10 or 20 more games above .500) sit out the playoffs is crap. Theoretically only one playoff bound team has to have a better records than either of the wildcard teams, their division winner. The one games series is stupid and goes against how baseball works. Single game playoffs is for the NFL, soccer, tennis, college sports, etc., but baseball has always been based on the long game and the best team proving their superiority over a series. Whether it's a three or more game regular season series, the team to team season match ups, or the traditional playoff rounds, the only time it comes down to one game and a playoff position should only be if two teams are tied at the end of the season and actually NEED the one game playoff to crown a division champion.

Other than that I have no strong feelings about it.

Bonn1997
USA
9/4/2015  12:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/4/2015  12:06 PM
I guess I'm the only one who wants to talk about Stephen Drew but his OPS since June 1st (200+ at bats) is in the .800s. His fielding is obviously good too. I think Girardi and Cashman deserve a lot of credit for sticking with him.
Finestrg

9/11/2015  7:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/11/2015  7:55 PM
What a time to be going through another bad spell. Bad news all around: off to a terrible start tonight, down 5-0 to David Price; lost 2 out of 3 to the Birds in our own building (how the hell did we manage that? They've been playing terrible ball); yesterday's rainout really hurts us (we'll be lucky to split tomorrow, esp. the way we've been playing--Toronto's not a team you wanna play a double-header against--you wanna go at that team one day at a time, esp. with Tex out); and speaking of Tex. out, how the F does our medical staff miss a mother****ing leg fracture on the initial first 2 rounds of tests?!? Can it get any worse?? Yeah, a little -- irritates me to see Ryan in the lineup tonight against Price and not Refsnyder. RYAN SUCKS!!!! Give Ref. a friggin' chance already, esp. against lefthanders!!
jrodmc
USA
9/12/2015  1:48 AM
Almost sounded like Severino got hurt in that first inning. That would be par for the course this year. This is additional payback for Arod's health.

Hey Bonn, try reading posts other than your own. I mentioned Drew a few days ago.

Bonn1997
USA
9/12/2015  7:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/12/2015  10:06 AM
jrodmc wrote:Almost sounded like Severino got hurt in that first inning. That would be par for the course this year. This is additional payback for Arod's health.

Hey Bonn, try reading posts other than your own. I mentioned Drew a few days ago.

LOL - I must have missed it. Looks like Teix is out the rest of the season. That hurts! It's amazing that all the other tests somehow missed this fracture.
I think Toronto is the best team in baseball. It sucks that we're in the same division.
Bonn1997
USA
9/14/2015  6:28 AM
Well, at least Tanaka has pitched like an ace lately. If we get the wild card, we'll have to use him up in the one game playoff though.
Bonn1997
USA
9/14/2015  6:30 AM
jrodmc wrote:1 game cutthroat is best. Baseball as a sport is just too friggin long already...

Can't believe the run Drew's been having. WFAN is almost giddy talking about his .200+ batting avg...

Oh I see your post now. Yeah, I was glad he crossed the Mendoza line too!
jrodmc
USA
9/14/2015  9:49 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:Well, at least Tanaka has pitched like an ace lately. If we get the wild card, we'll have to use him up in the one game playoff though.

Bonn1997 wrote:What a performance by Tanaka against a great offense!

We need 3 more Tanakas. Our starting pitching other then him is pathetic against Toronto. What'd they score, 25 runs or so before the shutout? Even Severino looked like crap. I hate the Jays.

A-rhoid diving into home plate! The feel good DH story of the year. And who the eff is Dustin Eakley?

Yeah Bonn, Tex with a month-old broken leg (?), but Byrd looks good! Not Tex-like good, but good. How can you not see a fracture in a shin bone?

Bonn1997
USA
9/14/2015  11:25 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Well, at least Tanaka has pitched like an ace lately. If we get the wild card, we'll have to use him up in the one game playoff though.

We need 3 more Tanakas. Our starting pitching other then him is pathetic against Toronto. What'd they score, 25 runs or so before the shutout? Even Severino looked like crap. I hate the Jays.

A-rhoid diving into home plate! The feel good DH story of the year. And who the eff is Dustin Eakley?

Yeah Bonn, Tex with a month-old broken leg (?), but Byrd looks good! Not Tex-like good, but good. How can you not see a fracture in a shin bone?

Yeah, Bird is not Teix good but he's definitely better than a typical replacement player.
Still, these young players we held onto have to develop into something special. George probably would have acquired Price and there's a decent chance that would have made the difference between an early exit and a WS appearance.

jrodmc
USA
9/14/2015  12:24 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

Yeah, Bird is not Teix good but he's definitely better than a typical replacement player.
Still, these young players we held onto have to develop into something special. George probably would have acquired Price and there's a decent chance that would have made the difference between an early exit and a WS appearance.

Or Price could have been the next Big Unit in NYC... you really think Price by himself is getting us to the WS? Jays are still scoring a billion runs with or without him...
Price gives us one, maybe 2 more wins in a 7 game series that we still lose. Tanaka and Price cant both pitch twice in a series... or can they?

I still like that we held on to these yoots more than the old Catfish Hunter George approach...

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/15/2015  1:56 PM
Anything Yankees and fans getting this year is a bonus in my book!
Team is in transition and is in the hunt. Enjoying a season for what it is.

Tex lasted longer than usual and A-rod showing some character. Im assuming its his talent not the roids this year!!
CC is cooked but we get some yoots as well!

Some preseason had Yankees finishing last. Toronto is stacked. Its not that the Yankees are "blowing it", its Toronto on fire the last two months!!!

jrodmc
USA
9/17/2015  2:38 PM
I sure hope Byrd can keep this hitting going.

And how many times is Betances going to walk the bases loaded before striking out the side? This is worse to experience than when Wetteland was giving up all those home runs in the 9th inning of almost every game...

Bonn1997
USA
9/21/2015  5:49 AM
2.5 games back. Catching Toronto is a long shot but not impossible. Tanaka being out hurts though.
jrodmc
USA
9/21/2015  8:14 AM
Why worry about our best pitcher? We have CC "1 run" Sabathia!

Byrd is a freakin phenom. Please, please, please don't get hurt.

mattshaw78
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #915
9/22/2015  7:01 AM
Greg Bird reminds me of a left handed Kris Bryant. Both knows the strike zone but still Ks a bit too much but follow through with the ball when hitting.

My only concern with him is that he has to improve on his fielding

BlueSeats "I like anyone who can make Lebron cry. Melo seems to do it a lot."
jrodmc
USA
9/23/2015  10:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/23/2015  10:46 AM
My only concern with Byrd is that we trade him away for David Price/Mike Trout or some other starphucque move as we wind down the Arod/Tex era.
Finestrg

9/23/2015  1:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/23/2015  5:29 PM
Goddamn, what a huge HR!! Just my humble opinion -- it was 100% the right move to hold onto all of our top prospects. Very important that we rebuild this thing the right way. No starphucking--continue to build this thing up from within. That's how we did it from the mid-90s up until just recently. Almost a 20 year run, man. Now we're honoring all of these guys individually with their own special days at the ballpark. We did it the right way once, why not repeat the same method? This current crop doesn't just stop with Bird -- we have several real good prospects that are on the verge of helping this team. A few are already here. How 'bout the job Severino did last night, against the best team in baseball in their yard? A must win if their ever was one and Bird and Severino came through for us in a BIG WAY...I would love to have a team built up with a core of homegrown young players. To me in sports, there's nothing better than enjoying the ride watching a group of standout homegrown young players develop into something special...That's how we'll be able to turn this team over and have lasting success, not to mention have enough money available to tweak this thing for the better when the time is right. I'm just glad as an organization they seem to believe that and see that that's the way to go.
Yankees Talk thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy