[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yankees Talk thread
Author Thread
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
2/24/2015  10:07 AM
Sox sign the Cuban kid, Yoan Moncada, reportedly for $31.5 mil.
Man, I hate when that happens.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/23/cuban-prospect-yoan-moncada-signs-with-the-red-sox-for-30-million-plus-30-million-in-penalties/

AUTOADVERT
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

2/24/2015  3:24 PM
jrodmc wrote:Sox sign the Cuban kid, Yoan Moncada, reportedly for $31.5 mil.
Man, I hate when that happens.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/23/cuban-prospect-yoan-moncada-signs-with-the-red-sox-for-30-million-plus-30-million-in-penalties/

Disappointing. I really wanted this kid. We were already at $25mm--pony up a little more and seal the deal. Unlike a Jung-Ho Kang, the Yankees really liked this kid. I've read he's being compared to Yasiel Puig at the plate and he supposedly can play multiple positions. Oh well... Big Stein wouldn't have let this guy go to the Sox like that if he were still around..

jrodmc
USA
3/6/2015  12:13 PM
Finestrg wrote:Aaron Judge's emergence. Judge had a real good 1st yr in A ball. 6'7" 230 lb. RFer with excellent power and good overall tools... Great first yr -- let's see what he does for an encore now. Judge looks legit, I just wish he was ready to help right now. Looks like he might be a year or two away..

Finally watched some clips of Aaron Judge. Unreal monster with a gun of an arm from RF. Hope we really develop this kid and he's able to come up soon. Sterling's got to be drooling into his Milk of Magnesia thinking up the home run calls for this guy...

Finestrg

3/6/2015  3:31 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Finestrg wrote:Aaron Judge's emergence. Judge had a real good 1st yr in A ball. 6'7" 230 lb. RFer with excellent power and good overall tools... Great first yr -- let's see what he does for an encore now. Judge looks legit, I just wish he was ready to help right now. Looks like he might be a year or two away..

Finally watched some clips of Aaron Judge. Unreal monster with a gun of an arm from RF. Hope we really develop this kid and he's able to come up soon. Sterling's got to be drooling into his Milk of Magnesia thinking up the home run calls for this guy...

LMAO..Yeah, Judge looks like the real deal. Very excited about him...That HR he hit the other day to tie the game late -- you could tell he didn't even get all of that ball. I imagine they're gonna want to fast track this kid this year. He'll probably start at AA, maybe even AAA. Provided he plays well and produces -- if anything happens to Beltran (or any of our 3 starting OFers for that matter), I bet he'll get the call and we see him sooner than expected. Ideally though, I bet the plan is probably for him to have a good 2nd full season in the minors and have him take over RF in 2016 after Beltran comes off the books.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/11/2015  7:08 PM
A-Rod's actually playing well. I'm not that optimistic about this year's team but we need A-Rod to play like an all-star. That's probably just a dream scenario but it would help a lot.
jrodmc
USA
3/12/2015  7:45 AM
At this point in their careers, so - so years for Arod and Tex, where they're able to be on the field more than injured, is more than even the most rabid fans can hope for.

I'm more concerned that the pitching works out. Is Betances the new Mo?

Hector
Member: #4483

3/12/2015  9:13 AM
I banked on Betances in my league, it just makes sense if he doesn't back slide.
Who's the other guy, Warren? Good to have that fallback but I'd really like to see this kid succeed.
Can you imagine if he has immediate success all the Mariano comparisons. It's the position itself that will lend to that the most. Mariano made 'Yankee Closer' a glamour position in all of sports.

I banked on Arod late in drafts & I'm so hoping he kills it this year & gets the last laugh, I just can't stand the media.

[quote="jrodmc"] Melo is stupid. [/quote]
Bonn1997
USA
3/12/2015  9:37 AM
Hector wrote:I banked on Betances in my league, it just makes sense if he doesn't back slide.
Who's the other guy, Warren? Good to have that fallback but I'd really like to see this kid succeed.
Can you imagine if he has immediate success all the Mariano comparisons. It's the position itself that will lend to that the most. Mariano made 'Yankee Closer' a glamour position in all of sports.

I banked on Arod late in drafts & I'm so hoping he kills it this year & gets the last laugh, I just can't stand the media.

Yeah, that too. I want A-Rod to have the last laugh since was absurdly singled-out.
Hector
Member: #4483

3/12/2015  9:55 AM
Where did I say anything about him being singled out.

I just hate people with holier than thou attitudes.

Sports editorials are made for people like....that.

[quote="jrodmc"] Melo is stupid. [/quote]
Swishfm3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #392
3/12/2015  1:55 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Hector wrote:I banked on Betances in my league, it just makes sense if he doesn't back slide.

Yeah, that too. I want A-Rod to have the last laugh since was absurdly singled-out.

A.Rod makes it easy. From what I've been told, dude is a real life jerk.

With that said, I also find myself rooting for him this year and hope he has a monster season. The public is so misinformed about PHG and instead of publishing the truth and trying to educate the public, the media go in these with hunts just to sell papers.

Swishfm3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #392
3/12/2015  1:55 PM
Go Mets!
jrodmc
USA
3/17/2015  7:56 AM
Yeah, Mets! We haven't seen a great collapse in years! Go! Go! Go!
Bonn1997
USA
3/17/2015  9:22 AM
Swishfm3 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

A.Rod makes it easy. From what I've been told, dude is a real life jerk.

With that said, I also find myself rooting for him this year and hope he has a monster season. The public is so misinformed about PHG and instead of publishing the truth and trying to educate the public, the media go in these with hunts just to sell papers.

I agree but I'm sure there are a lot of jerks in professional sports. He was stills singled out.
Finestrg

3/25/2015  10:17 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/25/2015  2:17 PM
I wonder who the 5th starter's gonna be. Esmil Rogers, Adam Warren and Bryan Mitchell are all very similar -- all have good arms, all hit 95 MPH. Chase Whitley's in the mix as well -- doesn't throw as hard as these other 3 but he's been the most effective this spring (0 ERA in 10 IP) and he was decent last year when called up...Rogers didn't help himself last night against the Tigers -- threw too may fat pitches up in the count and had a bad fielding error on a gimmie near the mound that really cost him and opened the flood gates...I get the feeling the guy they really want to step up and take the job is Mitchell. Real power arm and he's got a great curveball. I think having Mitchell around is why they felt comfortable enough trading off Shane Greene to the Tigers to get Didi Gregorius from the D-Backs in that 3-team trade.

On Gregorius -- I was outspoken against that trade when they made it -- I would've preferred to have kept Greene and went after a SS in FA, but I've since warmed up to the move considerably. I like Gregorius--he's young, athletic, shows speed/quickness/agility, is an absolute wizard at SS with great tools and he looks like a real underrated hitter who could surprise, showing good bat speed and a good idea at the plate. No idea if this deal works out or not but you can definitely see why the Yankees were interested in this guy.

Refsnyder's bat is 100% major league ready. Real good hitter. Too bad his fielding isn't up to par. Pirela too, same boat. Offense is ahead of his defense as well. I understand you want defense but having Drew and Ryan on the same roster feels overkill, no? Neither one of those guys can hit. Gonna cost either Pirela or Refsnyder a spot...Drew's enough defensive depth at 2B and SS imo. My guess is Drew starts at 2B, Pirela makes the team for his bat and defensive versatility (provided he's OK after suffering the concussion the other day slamming into the CF wall) and Ref goes to AAA to continue getting reps playing 2B everyday. I really wanted Ref to step up and take this 2B job but his defense still needs some work.

CC's gotten knocked around a little bit but his velocity up a few ticks from where it's been is a great sign. And it's only spring training...The man has knee surgery, comes back 20-30 lbs heavier than last year and is throwing harder than he has in 3 years. Go figure...Looks like Tanaka's the man on opening day... Very impressed with Eovaldi so far. Great arm and he's featured good off-speed pitches and decent control so far as well. That's a trade I really like -- we got back real good value for Prado imo.

One thing that's starting to concern me -- Dellin Betances. Velocity is down in the 93-94 range and he's been getting smacked around out there a little bit. I hope he's not hurt. Surprised that he hasn't come out guns blazing ready to seize the closer role...Yanks really need he and Miller to be lights out.

jrodmc
USA
4/2/2015  11:24 AM
Adam Warren named #5 starter. Hurry back Nova!
jrodmc
USA
4/7/2015  2:51 PM
Wow. Our ace can't hit 90 on the gun. What's next, Tanaka the Knuckleballer?

I'm most probably wrong, but I bet somewhere, CC was hiding an inner chuckle.

Finestrg

4/8/2015  10:38 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/8/2015  2:11 PM
jrodmc wrote:Wow. Our ace can't hit 90 on the gun. What's next, Tanaka the Knuckleballer?

While I find it a tad peculiar that he's even talking about changing his pitching style now after all the success he's had in Japan and with the Yanks last year (I highly doubt it's because his 4-seamer "has been getting hit" like he's been saying--I bet it's got more to do with proceeding with caution with that elbow, whether the Yanks have told him to approach it like that or he came up with that on his own), I think this lack of velocity thing is getting stale now and a little overblown. He was never a guy that was gonna thrown 95+ consistently anyway. I mean we saw that last year. When he's right, he's 91-92 and a few times a game he'll muscle up and hit 95. I agree with the Yankees' telecast during the opener (Kay, Coney, Flash, etc.) -- they were all saying a lack of velocity wasn't the issue; he just missed his spots a few times. I really think he just became unhinged quickly in that 3rd inning -- leadoff hit (smoked past a diving Headley down the 3rd base line -- nice play by Gardy coming up throwing and holding that to a single), walking the 9 hitter (that was the turning point), the bunt hit that Headley threw away, Martin's opposite field hit (on a 93 MPH fastball btw) and then the cookie he threw to Encarnacion. Just a bad inning. Otherwise, he looked real sharp to me (his slider and split looked very good)...As long as he remains healthy (big if -- fingers crossed), he'll be OK... I saw Larry Rothchild saying he's still building up arm strength, which could indicate that as long as he remains healthy, any fastball we're seeing at 89-90 MPH now could be back up in the 91-92 range not before long. I was watching Zack Greinke dominate a much improved Padres lineup last night for 6 innings and his fastball never got above 90 (Greinke used to throw harder, I guess not anymore). King Felix fanned 10 Angels in Seattle's opener and it looked like he was throwing 90-92 the whole game. Madison Bumgarner, same deal -- he only throws 90-92..El Duque was very successful here and he didn't throw 95. Just sayin'... Stuff-wise, Tanaka looks fine. Definitely more than enough to win with. He's gotta try to block out this crazy NY media that makes a mountain out of every molehill (someone from the media during the post game actually asked Tanaka if he had anything to do with the Stadium gun not working in the 1st inning. Can you imagine that? What a stupid question. Tanaka's reaction was priceless ). Throwing a good game against Boston on Sunday will definitely go a long way toward changing around some headlines & quieting the friggin' media down..

The offense concerns me much more going back to last year. Gotta get Ellsbury back on track (he looks really behind up at the plate) and we're gonna need to see some punch outta the middle of that order (Beltran, Tex, McCann, etc.. If Beltran doesn't hit, I might look to give Chris Young a look in RF after awhile. Dude really finished the spring strong). Also don't know how long I'm prepared to wait on Drew at 2B. If he continues to not hit and we're approaching mid-May/end of May, I'd look to incorporate Pirela and/or Refsnyder. If Joe keeps the lineup like he had it for the opener, A-Rod won't get anything to hit if Drew's an automatic out hitting behind him. Pirela or Ref could protect A-Rod a lot better than Drew. Glad to see A-Rod's still got something left in the tank. We're gonna need the help offensively. Glad to see the Yankee crowd get behind him like they did -- like the man or not, he's a Yankee who's under contract. I'd like to see the man comfortable and productive, at least at home.

jrodmc
USA
4/9/2015  9:03 AM
Finestrg wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Wow. Our ace can't hit 90 on the gun. What's next, Tanaka the Knuckleballer?

The offense concerns me much more going back to last year. Gotta get Ellsbury back on track (he looks really behind up at the plate) and we're gonna need to see some punch outta the middle of that order (Beltran, Tex, McCann, etc.. If Beltran doesn't hit, I might look to give Chris Young a look in RF after awhile. Dude really finished the spring strong). Also don't know how long I'm prepared to wait on Drew at 2B. If he continues to not hit and we're approaching mid-May/end of May, I'd look to incorporate Pirela and/or Refsnyder. If Joe keeps the lineup like he had it for the opener, A-Rod won't get anything to hit if Drew's an automatic out hitting behind him. Pirela or Ref could protect A-Rod a lot better than Drew. Glad to see A-Rod's still got something left in the tank. We're gonna need the help offensively. Glad to see the Yankee crowd get behind him like they did -- like the man or not, he's a Yankee who's under contract. I'd like to see the man comfortable and productive, at least at home.

Hopefully, we can dominate the major leagues in offense by getting hit by pitches...

That was one ugly win.
Early, I know, but Betances does not appear, at this point anyway, to be anywhere near Mo II.

Finestrg

4/9/2015  11:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/9/2015  12:16 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Finestrg wrote:

Hopefully, we can dominate the major leagues in offense by getting hit by pitches...

That was one ugly win.
Early, I know, but Betances does not appear, at this point anyway, to be anywhere near Mo II.

Yup, ugly as hell but I'll take W's however we can get 'em. So important to establish a winning culture now. It's a marathon but every win counts toward a return trip to the playoffs...Glad to see Ellsbury snap out of it and have a real good game. Dude was on base all night long. He had a rough spring and missed some time so you knew going in he was gonna be a little behind the other regulars. I wanna see Ellsbury and Gardy get the green light to steal whenever they get on. Ellsbuy's aggressive steal of 2nd set up our first run last night. I wanna see that all year long out of our two table-setters. I don't wanna see any Joe Torre 'sit-back-and-wait-for-the-homerun' ball -- we may not get too many of those out of this lineup. I wanna see us be aggressive and go out and manufacture runs, esp. when these 1st two guys get on base...I thought Betances' stuff looked better than it had all spring. Hopefully he's close to being back on track now. Up to me, he'd be the closer. The kid earned it after last year. I don't like not going in and having a defined closer. Joe's just setting himself up to get second guessed throughout the season. Put this thing to bed already and go with Miller setting up Betances. I like having Miller available for a big lefty in the 8th inning anyway...Chris Martin looks like one hell of a find. Hard, heavy sinkers with a good slider and good control. Great move by Cashman. We got this guy for next to nothing (cash considerations). You can kinda tell already that he's close to earning Joe's trust for the 6th-7th innings, if he doesn't have it already. Martin, Miller and Betances should be straight up MURDER on the opposition -- all 3 guys are absolute monsters, 6'7" or better. That's gotta be very intimidating. I'll take any edge we can get. I feel real good about the entire pitching staff, starters and relievers. The offense really concerns me. I wish we could've picked up at least 1 big thumper, someone like Yasmany Tomas maybe. That's what this lineup desperately needed...Some guys like Teixeira we'll have to sink or swim with I guess, but other guys like Carlo Beltran and Stephen Drew I wouldn't hesitate for a nano-second to replace if they don't hit. We might be better off with Chris Young over Beltran in RF full-time and I'd love to see more offense out of 2B. I really hope Rob Refsnyder can find it defensively at 2B in the minors because the kid can flat out rake -- the potential's there for something close to Greg Jeffries/Ian Kinsler with the bat (worst case) with a ceiling of Dustin Pedroia maybe if it all comes together. Gotta get to a point where he's functional at 2B and can at least make the routine plays. As soon as he gets to that point, I'd look to bring him up and go with him as my full-time second baseman. This lineup could definitely use an extra bat like that. Hopefully he's working on his throws to first base--that's where it looked like he was having the most trouble. Just can't see having an automatic out hitting behind A-Rod in the lineup. If anything (say they don't think Ref or Pirela's ready to take over 2B full-time), I think I'd rather see more of this kid Petit over Drew.

Finestrg

4/13/2015  1:00 PM
Not the start we could've hoped for but glad to see the offensive finally got going last night. What can you say about A-Rod -- dude's contributing, probably been our best hitter.

Possible deal, something along the lines of how we got Pineda: I see that RHP Danny Salazar didn't make the Indians out of spring training (optioned to AAA). Cleveland's starting catcher, Yan Gomes, is out 6-8 weeks with a sprained MCL (opting to rehab it rather than get surgery). Now they're supposedly very high on Roberto Perez, a AAA catcher who hit .305 last year in the minors. Even with Perez filling in now full-time, you figure they may want to add some catching depth. I'm real high on Salazar -- very surprised he didn't make the team. How 'bout some combination of Gary Sanchez and/or Austin Romine for Danny Salazar?

Yankees Talk thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy